PDA

View Full Version : airport parking

stevewool
5th December 2011, 22:41
as many know we are off soon on our holiday, well the lift we was getting well that seems to be off so i was looking at parking at the airport, its just over £100 from dec 28 till jan 27 which i dont think is bad, if someone took us and fetched us the cost of fuel would be that amount or even more, so thats what i am thinking of doing, parking with purple parking, plus we can go when we want and come back when we want, that may be a good start to our hols

Dedworth
5th December 2011, 22:45
That doesn't sound too bad - Purple Parking are reputable I've used them before. Unlike some of these cowboys at Heathrow who get exposed on WatchDog where boy racers take your car out for a thrashing then it gets left in a pub car park in Hounslow :icon_lol:

stevewool
5th December 2011, 22:48
just to add this, if you join as a member with purple parking the cost goes down 10% so £91 it is now

Dedworth
5th December 2011, 22:50
just to add this, if you join as a member with purple parking the cost goes down 10% so £91 it is now

Book it through Quidco and you'll get 7% cashback :D

Terpe
5th December 2011, 22:50
I've used purple parking too.
Maybe not as close as others, and price is always a personal choice anyway.
But unless you can find a door-to-door airport service at acceptable price I would always drive myself.

Englishman2010
5th December 2011, 22:59
That sounds like a good deal Steve :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I'm getting the train to Brum Airport this time, £14.80 return and a 5 minute walk from my house to the train station:xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
5th December 2011, 23:19
Just wondering whether to hitch-hike again, but was thinking maybe I'll get mistaken for a tramp nowadays. :Erm:

Bstads upping the age for the bus pass. :angry:

stevewool
5th December 2011, 23:23
you know what Graham i was in york the other day and i swear i saw you in a ford estate

grahamw48
5th December 2011, 23:37
you know what Graham i was in york the other day and i swear i saw you in a ford estate

Well it's got Ford front wishbones and steering rack on it. :D

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/3403/yorkshirebigbreakfast00.jpg

...But no, last Ford estate I owned was back in the mid-80s, for my shop.

Terpe
6th December 2011, 09:49
....upping the age for the bus pass. :angry:

Funny you should say that. I don't think the age has been upped but I got caught out by this little requirement:-

"If you're a man born after 5 April 1950, you'll become eligible when you reach the pensionable age of a woman born on the same day." :doh

BTW I can apply anytime now at the local library

grahamw48
6th December 2011, 10:47
It's because they've upped the pensionable age of women.
So us blokes (who don't live as long) get shafted as per usual. :rolleyes:

subseastu
6th December 2011, 20:00

I've heard bad things about Purple parking, apparently its common practice to move your car and park it on an idustry estate somewhere so they can free up more space on there lots. They just swap cars about ready for your return.

grahamw48
6th December 2011, 21:26
NO WAY would I leave my car in one of those car parking places...but that's just me. :)

Arthur Little
7th December 2011, 00:10
It's because they've upped the pensionable age of women.

Are you sure about that, Graham? :rolleyes: ... HAS the new State Pensionable Age for women actually come into operation yet?

grahamw48
7th December 2011, 00:16
I believe so....for 60 year-olds wishing to put their feet up now. :Erm:

I know I can't have a bus pass until March 2013, which would make me 62 yrs 6 mths.

It was the only damned thing I was looking forward to last September. :cwm3:

I mean, who the hell wants to be 60 instead of 59 ?

Arthur Little
7th December 2011, 00:29
I believe so....for 60 year-olds wishing to put their feet up now. :Erm:

Ah ... I see :rolleyes: - they're raising the age for :oldlady::oldlady:ies GRADUALLY year by year - instead of putting it up to 65 in a 'oner', as it were!

Arthur Little
7th December 2011, 01:00
I know I can't have a bus pass until March 2013, which would make me 62 yrs 6 mths.

It was the only damned thing I was looking forward to last September. :cwm3:

So us blokes (who don't live as long) get shafted as per usual. :rolleyes:

Aye ... t'WOULD'VE been, :iagree:! One of the few "saving graces" of advancing years, anyway! And you're right, of course, about blokes being shafted in the age stakes for far too long! :angry:

grahamw48
7th December 2011, 01:41
Then again, if I have the distraction of a gorgeous young Filipina with me next year....who cares ? :laugher:

Arthur Little
7th December 2011, 01:53
Then again, if I have the distraction of a gorgeous young Filipina with me next year....who cares ? :laugher:

Well ... yes ... that's very true! You'll have conveniently forgotten your biological age by the time you're 62. :Erm: ...

Arthur Little
7th December 2011, 02:05
... biological age ... :Erm: ...

... more a biological URGE! :)

Piamed
7th December 2011, 18:27
I'd go with what has been said already about long-term parking. We're also exploring taking a taxi from MK and being met on our return. This is because it will likely be snowing on our return and we'll have 2 kids and 4 suitcases plus buggy and backpacks - I dont fancy the hassle that will cause.

Dedworth
7th December 2011, 18:32
I've heard bad things about Purple parking, apparently its common practice to move your car and park it on an idustry estate somewhere so they can free up more space on there lots. They just swap cars about ready for your return.

Not Purple they own a huge swathe of land adjacent to the railway at Hayes/Southall

http://img1.superbreak.net/content/images/Hotel/purple_parking_heathrow_hotel_image_1_bro_31903.JPG

http://www.parking-quote.co.uk/profpark/Images/CPMaps/LHR5.jpg

There are plenty of Pikey/Shyster outfits operating as you suspect

alsmith38
7th December 2011, 19:16
I dont think you will have any problems with purple parking, however, its not the best idea to drive a long distance after a long haul flight. I used to travel to asia on business, and once I drove back to Yorkshire from heathrow, it was really hard work trying to stay awake for 3-4 hours.

grahamw48
7th December 2011, 21:18
I like the 'used car lot' next to Purple Parking.

Doesn't make me any happier.

I'd be checking my engine number and tyres when I got back. :D

stevewool
7th December 2011, 22:20
well its purple parking for me, my holiday starts the moment i turn the key to get to the airport

subseastu
8th December 2011, 00:04
Enjoy your holiday Steve. Maybe make a note of the milage of your car when you drop it off incase the lads at purple parking decide to go for a spin in it, or do their weekly big shop!!

subseastu
8th December 2011, 00:05
Not Purple they own a huge swathe of land adjacent to the railway at Hayes/Southall

http://img1.superbreak.net/content/images/Hotel/purple_parking_heathrow_hotel_image_1_bro_31903.JPG

http://www.parking-quote.co.uk/profpark/Images/CPMaps/LHR5.jpg

There are plenty of Pikey/Shyster outfits operating as you suspect

And what happens when they run out of room?

Dedworth
8th December 2011, 00:33
And what happens when they run out of room?

You obviously haven't seen the site - if you're on the train going into Paddington it takes an age to get past it at 70mph. The other part of their business is parking up brand new unsold cars and vans.

stevewool
8th December 2011, 08:08
i have used them before in my old life and they provide a service, if you are happy with what you deside then stick to it, last time i went away , my car was parked outside my house and some person knock my wingmirror off, tghe whole lot and it was the one against the pavement so it may be safe down in london

grahamw48
8th December 2011, 09:57
I'm sure it will be fine Steve.

Just a bit of leg-pulling going on here. :D