PDA

View Full Version : Plane crashes onto Philippine slum, killing 13

KeithD
10th December 2011, 12:24
MANILA — A four-seater cargo plane crashed onto a crowded Philippine slum on Saturday, sparking a fire that killed 13 people including three children and left at least another 20 injured, officials said.

The crash killed both the pilot and co-pilot, while the other fatalities are thought to be residents of the shanty town, said police chief inspector Enrique Sy.

Charred bodies lay amid the twisted wreckage of burned slum homes as firefighters cleared away blackened sheets of corrugated iron.

More.... (http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5h9AYc7XPx4e0Fk3oplCz3h84pPMg?docId=CNG.2053fa8d0dabe704686a8a1b012ec069.831)

ynwa
10th December 2011, 12:34
Christmas is approaching and I feel sorry for the families affected by the tragedy. Hope the local government so as the agency responsible will take action on this matter as soon as possible.

grahamw48
10th December 2011, 12:52
That's horrible.

Poor souls.

subseastu
10th December 2011, 14:28
Horrible thing to happen. Feel sorry for all affected by this.

mickcant
10th December 2011, 14:33
Just terrible:NoNo:
Mick.

grahamw48
10th December 2011, 16:36
My girlfriend lives in an adjoining subdivision, but she's fine.

gWaPito
10th December 2011, 17:28
Where in Manila was the crash?

grahamw48
10th December 2011, 18:13
'Better Living' subd, Paranaque...right next to the airport.

gWaPito
10th December 2011, 18:26
'Better Living' subd, Paranaque...right next to the airport.

Cheers Graham....I thought that's where the well heeled lived (slum was mentioned)...although Paranaque is a big area.

grahamw48
10th December 2011, 18:39
Yes, it is quite mixed around there.

From the TV report on ITV news, it did appear to be a 'poorer' part.

My girlfriend seems to work and live in a very nice property.

I also have relatives living in Paranaque, but again, in a nice area of new development. (I've been to their house in the past).

RickyR
10th December 2011, 18:59
Whilst the passenger aircraft seem to be in a good airworthy condition in the Philippines much of the cargo aircraft leave a lot to be desired, and it seems a regular occurance that one is downed. I really feel sorry for the innocents who are affected by such an awful accident.

Jenky
11th December 2011, 09:35
We have a condominium in the better living Sub Division at the SM Developements Chateau Elysee. That is also very close to where the accident happened. When my wife and kids were living there and i went to visit them, in the evening I sometimes used to sit by the swimming pools with a beer in hand looking at the flights taking off and landing. Every morning a small two engine plane like the one that crashed used to fly right over the top of our unit on the top floor! I often wondered about what would happen if a large plane got into trouble, like the Boeing 777 that crashed at Heathrow a couple of years ago. Graham is right about the area, it is not a sprawling shanty town and is actually quite affluent, but like so many areas of Manila you dont have to walk very far from a nice area to find people living in a tin shed.
Now we live in the UK the condo is not being used as the cost of a holiday for the two of us and our two kids is really to much to bear every year! I could rent it but doing that could cause more grief than its worth. trying to sell it is an option.
I am sure Mayor Bernabee will help the families concerned as he does have a good reputation in the area.

RickyR
11th December 2011, 09:42
In all honesty, there are many places airports in the world in large cities where if something went wrong there would be absolute devastation. Much of the aircraft into Heathrow route over Central London at around 3000ft.

Quite a scary thought if something like an A380 came down in a city.

grahamw48
11th December 2011, 10:54
Classic case of high risk was the old Kai Tak in Hong Kong.

I'll never forget the day when my room-mate arrived home from his shift and said "hey, I've just seen a Jumbo Jet bobbing about in the harbour !". :omg:

Here's a good view of the normal landing sequence there....including the sharp bank to the right at 'the beacon' to avoid flying straight into the side of the mountain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=bKqO6gdJIz8