PDA

View Full Version : New Member

LondonHM
19th December 2011, 00:20
Hi everyone,

Another new member. I am a 27 year old male living and working in London.

I have been to the Philippines 3 times and absolutely love the place. I have recently visited Manila, Davao, Bohol and Surigao.

Look forward to chatting more

sweetnote143
19th December 2011, 02:17
let me welcome you to the friendly forum, I hope you will find the answers or advice from questions you're planning to ask :Hellooo::Wave:

febmary
19th December 2011, 09:03
Warm Welcome to the forum. Get on to Palawan on your next destination.:):):)

rani
19th December 2011, 15:30
Hi! M sure you'll enjoy the friendly members here at the forum.. Welcome :Hellooo:

jastinewhine
19th December 2011, 16:23
welcome

CAT
19th December 2011, 19:09
:Wave: Hi LondonHM...Welcome here:Jump:

LondonHM
19th December 2011, 23:34
Thanks for the welcome.
For my next trip I would love to go to either Palawan or Donsol. Amazing how much there is to do out there.
Does anyone know a good restaurant in London where I can eat kinilaw?

Arthur Little
20th December 2011, 00:10
Hi everyone,

Another new member. I am a 27 year old male living and working in London

:) Hi, there ... :welcomex: to the friendly, online filipino/uk community. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
20th December 2011, 00:14
I have been to the Philippines 3 times and absolutely love the place.

You've beaten ME ... I've only been twice, :D so far.

Arthur Little
20th December 2011, 00:25
I have recently visited Manila, Davao, Bohol and Surigao.

I'm married to a Filipina from Davao del Norte' Province ... but ( would you believe? ) neither my wife nor I, have visited Bohol and its famous 'Chocolate Hills' :bigcry: So ... hopefully, next time around ...

LondonHM
20th December 2011, 00:35
It is good. I spent about 3 days there. I would recommend.
I spent 2 years in HK/Singapore but had absolutely no appreciation for what the Philippines had to offer despite being surrounded by Filipinos.
Now having experienced life there, I cannot get enough of the culture/people but am yet to meet any Filipinos in London.

ConfusedMe
20th December 2011, 01:47
Welcome to the forum LondonHM!:Wave: It's nice to know that you enjoyed your stay in Philippines. Try visit Cebu and Boracay in the future :Wave:

LondonHM
20th December 2011, 23:33
Anyone Filipinos in London on this forum?

Preferably one that can tell me where I can find good Filipino food in London...

Davao lani
21st December 2011, 09:34
Hello LondonHM! Welcome to the forum. I've been in the Filipino Restaurant in Earl's court once but I'm not sure if they have kinilaw.

Emmeline
21st December 2011, 10:10
Yes Agree! I'm originally from Cebu and I think you'll love it there! :)

Welcome to the forum LondonHM!:Wave: It's nice to know that you enjoyed your stay in Philippines. Try visit Cebu and Boracay in the future :Wave:

Emmeline
21st December 2011, 10:12
There's a Filipino Restaurant in Earl's Court?? where? I live quite close to
Earl's Court. By the way I just moved to London, I found a place now but job hunting seems to be a nightmare at the moment! :(

Emmeline
21st December 2011, 10:45
Oh My! I got too excited about the Filipino restaurant in Earl's Court, I didn't even say hi and welcome to the forum LondonHM! :) I'm actually quite a newbie myself, I opened my account in June though but have not logged in for a long time.

rusty
21st December 2011, 11:32
Here is a list of filipino resturants, there seems to be a few in London and two in Earls Court. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

http://adoborice.com/directory.aspx?countryid=185&categoryid=15

We are hoping to have a day in London next week and will try to go to one while we are there. :BouncyHappy:

South-east boy
21st December 2011, 11:35
Hi there LondonHM and Emmeline! There's a couple of restaurants in Hammersmith, London called Port of Manila and Ihaw Ihaw, I preferred the first one myself

Tawi2
21st December 2011, 11:57
There's a Filipino Restaurant in Earl's Court??
I never rated the ones in earls court,the service was slow and the food not up to par,mind this was 6 or 7 years ago,I think they have had a refurb since and maybe the original chef has gone to that great kitchen in the sky :icon_lol: I wouldnt get excited JUST yet,wait till you go there first,I am sure you can do better in your own kitchen :)

Davao lani
21st December 2011, 13:02
I never rated the ones in earls court,the service was slow and the food not up to par,mind this was 6 or 7 years ago,I think they have had a refurb since and maybe the original chef has gone to that great kitchen in the sky :icon_lol: I wouldnt get excited JUST yet,wait till you go there first,I am sure you can do better in your own kitchen :)

Yes, I agree....

Tawi2
21st December 2011, 13:07
Yes, I agree....
I was going to give my true thoughts on the service and food but I decided to be kind,its christmas :icon_lol:It wouldnt even register a falling star on the Michelin guide :icon_lol:Maligayang pasko Lani :)

Davao lani
21st December 2011, 13:21
I was going to give my true thoughts on the service and food but I decided to be kind,its christmas :icon_lol:It wouldnt even register a falling star on the Michelin guide :icon_lol:Maligayang pasko Lani :)

:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol: Maligayang pasko din Tawi2

South-east boy
21st December 2011, 14:13
I went to one in Earls court last year, down a side street-quite small with the back part up a few stairs. Forgot the name, it was ok, but not that great. The Adobo's that friends and myself have cooked was far more tasty!

LondonHM
22nd December 2011, 00:36
Thanks for the tips. I will check out the restaurant in Earl's Court after Christmas.
To be honest, I am just on the hunt for Kinilaw. I would do it myself but my cooking skills are embarrassing

Vische
22nd December 2011, 04:19
Hi everyone,

Another new member. I am a 27 year old male living and working in London.

I have been to the Philippines 3 times and absolutely love the place. I have recently visited Manila, Davao, Bohol and Surigao.

Look forward to chatting more

Welcome LondonHM, hope you find a great kinilaw in London ... :)

Pelychan
22nd December 2011, 07:36
Hello,new here.

Terpe
22nd December 2011, 21:43
Thanks for the tips. I will check out the restaurant in Earl's Court after Christmas.
To be honest, I am just on the hunt for Kinilaw. I would do it myself but my cooking skills are embarrassing

Hi London, welcome here. I just love Kinilaw.
For me it's a wonderful appetiser that is perfect with an ice cold beer.
It also reminds me very much of a previous wonderful life Japan

I have made Kinilaw with Cornish Mackerel and it's great, I know you could use other fish as well but I have no experience.

It's very quick and very easy to prepare, but, for me it's a must to always use 'sashimi quality' fish. This generally means ordering online unless your one of the very lucky people who have a traditional and fabulous fishmonger in your area. If you are, then take advantage of it while you can.

For online orders just be sure that you're around for the delivery.

Personally, I have no idea if supermarket fish will really be good enough, and I don't want to try. The textures and the flavour of the fish I get online has to be experienced to be believed.
Kinilaw demands the best and the freshest fish you can get.

I also use shallots instead of onions because I find they are much more aromatic and their flavour both sweeter and milder and much more suited for Kinilaw.
Another benefit is that there is less of an aftertaste. But that's just a personal choice. Ordinary onions could be used just as well.

The preparation is not difficult at all, just needs care and attention to detail.

Here's my tried and fully tested 'recipe' over many years.

Ingredients :

Yellow Fin Tuna (sashimi quality - Cubed)
Garlic (peeled, crushed and very coarsely chopped)
Red Shallots (thinly sliced) (use white if red unavailable)
Chilli peppers (prepared to your taste, I prefer thick slices)
1 red bell pepper (diced)
1 green bell pepper (diced)
Ginger (finely chopped)
Secret Ingredient (finely sliced sushi ginger - Japanese sashimi inspired to lift the dish to a higher level)
Cucumber (sliced)
Tomatoes (sliced)
Calamansi juice (or 3 lemons juiced)
1 lemon (quartered and thinly sliced)
Vinegar
salt and cayenne pepper

'Cooking' procedure :

Quickly Wash the cubed tuna in a bowl of fresh water. Drain the water and discard.
Pour in vinegar to cover and quickly wash the tuna. Drain the vinegar and discard
Sprinkle with salt and cayenne pepper.
Pour in vinegar (diluted 1:1 with water) to cover and mix well. Leave to 'cook' for about 1-2 hours
Care should be taken with this timing as ideally the fish should not be totally 'cooked through', but should be more like medium-rare steak. Still a bit translucent and pinkish inside.
Drain the fish again.
Add the Calamansi juice, garlic, shallots, chilli peppers, red and green bell peppers, ginger and sushi ginger,cucumber and tomatoes.
Mix well and chill for MAX 20 minutes. Taste the sauce every now and make any adjustments to get it just right.

Add some slices of lemon on top When ready to serve.

Prepare a pitcher of ice cold beer.
Or if you prefer how about some chilled White Zinfandel wine. I like Blossom Hill or Fetzer, both available from Waitrose.

Share and enjoy!

LondonHM
25th December 2011, 23:47
Terpe, thanks so much for this. I will definitely give it a go...

Looking forward to trying the restaurant in Earl's Court and of course booking my next holiday to the Philippines

Eyes O'Donnell
26th December 2011, 01:05
Hi LondonHM, welcome to the friendly forum :) where you can learn,get answers for all the questions you will ask and advice from all of us here if you need :xxgrinning--00xx3:
Try to check this restaurant. Me and my husband we've been there many times and the food is great :)
Kusinang Munti
913 Garratt Lane Tooting, London SW17 0LT
020 8672 4363

Eyes O'Donnell
26th December 2011, 01:15
Its me again LondonHM :)

In Kusinang Munti you'll find Philippine, Thai, Japanese, Chinese, Indian and Halal food here, either as a main meal, or you have the option of making use of their all-you-can-eat buffet :)

LondonHM
26th December 2011, 20:29
Keep the recommendations coming Eyes!!
I am completely sold on "all-you-can-eat." So much for the new year diet

Emmeline
27th December 2011, 16:05
Hi there LondonHM and Emmeline! There's a couple of restaurants in Hammersmith, London called Port of Manila and Ihaw Ihaw, I preferred the first one myself
Thank you! Will give it a try one of these days! I cook filipino food at home every now and then, but hard to cook for one person. I also found an Asian grocery store in Chinatown that sells mama sita mix lol. Yes i cheat when I cook filipino dishes.

LondonHM
27th December 2011, 17:32
Wonderful. You are more than welcome to cook for me as my Filipino cooking skills are awful ;)

Emmeline
28th December 2011, 00:06
Here is a list of filipino resturants, there seems to be a few in London and two in Earls Court. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

http://adoborice.com/directory.aspx?countryid=185&categoryid=15

We are hoping to have a day in London next week and will try to go to one while we are there. :BouncyHappy:

Awesome! Thanks for this Rusty! One of these days, will definitely give it a try!

Emmeline
28th December 2011, 00:13
Wonderful. You are more than welcome to cook for me as my Filipino cooking skills are awful ;)
Lol you'll eat any filipino dish? Not scared of the weird ones? You said your Filipino cooking skill is awful, which cuisine are you not awful then? :p

LondonHM
28th December 2011, 20:55
I will back myself to eat the weird ones....
I make a mean pasta...and that is about it!

Terpe
28th December 2011, 21:07
I will back myself to eat the weird ones....

Which ones have you eaten so far that could be classed as 'weird' ?

Terpe
28th December 2011, 21:31
Just for fun :rolleyes:

I've eaten one of these dishes. Any guesses which one?

Chicken 'adidas' (feet)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Mt3J5Q0sQ58/TfDaQx3H7WI/AAAAAAAAAko/khaGvuq-fyk/s1600/chicken_feet_5x7_72_dpi_thumb%255B1%255D.jpg

helmet (chicken heads) ...

http://www.nikdaum.com/news/mai157.jpg

I have some great video's of 'bizarre' Philippine cooking. I'll try and find them. I'm sure you'd love to see. Just for fun. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Emmeline
28th December 2011, 22:47
hahaha i like the chicken adidas but the chinese style of cooking, don't think I've tried the filipino style. ooh the helmet looks scary!!! lol i dont think i will try it! haha

Terpe
28th December 2011, 22:49
hahaha i like the chicken adidas but the chinese style of cooking, don't think I've tried the filipino style. ooh the helmet looks scary!!! lol i dont think i will try it! haha

Ha ha ha
Keep you eye to this thread, more exciting dishes are coming your way soon :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Emmeline
28th December 2011, 22:59
Just for fun :rolleyes:

I've eaten one of these dishes. Any guesses which one?

Chicken 'adidas' (feet)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Mt3J5Q0sQ58/TfDaQx3H7WI/AAAAAAAAAko/khaGvuq-fyk/s1600/chicken_feet_5x7_72_dpi_thumb%255B1%255D.jpg

helmet (chicken heads) ...

http://www.nikdaum.com/news/mai157.jpg

I have some great video's of 'bizarre' Philippine cooking. I'll try and find them. I'm sure you'd love to see. Just for fun. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I think you've tried the adidas. The helmet just looks too scary. If I am wrong, then I definitely admire your courage! lol

grahamw48
28th December 2011, 23:11
Oh those poor chukkies. :bigcry:

Vische
29th December 2011, 11:10
I think you've tried the adidas. The helmet just looks too scary. If I am wrong, then I definitely admire your courage! lol

Guys you can also try this Philippines street foods hehehe its yummy just be choosy in buying cause you might pick the 'botcha' (double dead) ...

Calamares - squid
Balut - fertilized duck embryo that is boiled alive and eaten in the shell (so you can see the chick feathers or the body parts are almost whole) be prepared in eating this hahahaha
Fishball - fish
Barbecue - banana (saba)
Betamax - roasted chicken blood
Squidball - ofcourse squid again
Mani - it may be fried or boiled
Taho - bean curd with syrup (syrup made of sugar)
Footlong - long hotdogs in different flavors
Isaw - barbecued pig or chicken intestines

http://www.google.com.ph/imgres?q=betamax+food&hl=en&sa=X&biw=1280&bih=685&tbm=isch&prmd=imvns&tbnid=7_WdlXircKJ7aM:&imgrefurl=http://amateurdreamer.tumblr.com/post/2107278166/top-15-mouthwatering-street-food-of-all-time&docid=4fsAZG3Yf37yOM&imgurl=http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lcykq237vI1qzgrfr.jpg&w=500&h=452&ei=CDr8Tt-SOeidiAeGsfXBBw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=1003&vpy=242&dur=554&hovh=213&hovw=236&tx=169&ty=116&sig=106754940892843717500&page=2&tbnh=140&tbnw=166&start=18&ndsp=16&ved=1t:429,r:10,s:18

Terpe
29th December 2011, 11:12

:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Yes, I tried one. :Cuckoo:
The sauce I had was quite nice, but naturally there was no real meat. Just seemed a bit chewy.
Didn't actually feel any need to have another.

:icon_lol:

grahamw48
29th December 2011, 11:15
Vische, when you come here you must try some of our 'Tripe' (boiled cow's stomach lining). :D

LondonHM
29th December 2011, 18:54
I have had chicken feet - sceptical about the heads
I do like a bit of Balut. I still remember the first time I tried it. Manila 2009 - street vendor standing by the river near Ocean Park. Great times!

Terpe
29th December 2011, 22:02
Mr LondonHM,

Hope you will enjoy this video all about Bizarre foods in the Philippines:-

Bizarre Foods Philippines 1/6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s31nWSiminI

If your interested I'm sure you can easily find the rest of the series. :icon_lol::icon_lol:

Dedworth
29th December 2011, 22:12
Good one Terpe

Vische
30th December 2011, 12:59
Vische, when you come here you must try some of our 'Tripe' (boiled cow's stomach lining). :D

hehehe i have tried, that my father lets me eat all sorts of exotic foods without telling me what it is hahahaha :icon_lol:

LondonHM
31st January 2012, 20:36
Eyes O'D,

I went to this restaurant with friends. Food was good..but the staff were not so friendly. Perhaps it was just a one off.

Any more recommendations anyone? I have told you how bad my cooking is these days!