PDA

View Full Version : money exchange

stevewool
21st December 2011, 18:45
hi all, well i know the answer to this from many of you, but how do i do it i am asking, you know we are on our hols soon, i use to always get my money here and thats it, but Ems and others have said get it there, where, the airport or in hong kong and manila, the rate for the dollar is around 11.7 to the pound, and the peso rate is just rubbish here, 62 to the pound, my problem is where to go over there if i take the pounds with me, thanks :)

alanp
21st December 2011, 19:52
The last time i just got cash from bdo with my debit card or used the cash machine. Or if emma still has a bank account or one of the family why not send via account deposit with cbn grupo or western union at least the rate is 68.4

Terpe
21st December 2011, 20:16
Steve, the available rate has not been as low as 62 for ages.

I just sent money to Phils within the last 48 hours and the exchange rate was over 68 (about the same as alanp in post#2)

You can either send to a convenient bank a/c in Pinas, get a limited amount in UK or at a money exchanger in Pinas or a combo of all three.

I usually do all three.
Looking at the exchange rate trend over the past year and amid all the economic variance, it's hard to imagine it will vary much from 68 anyway.

Englishman2010
21st December 2011, 20:21
Steve, I've never had a problem changing cash at one of the many exchange counters in HK or Manila.

Be sensible if you plan to change cash at a street kiosk - Never openly show a wad on the street. If you change a large amount of cash, try to get it back to your hotel room ASAP. Always count and double count what you give them and what they give you in return. Don't start stuffing notes or your wallet in your back bocket on the street. If you can always try to put cash in a front groin area pocket, you are more likely to know if someone is pick pocketing you if they start fumbling with your wedding veg;)

lastlid
21st December 2011, 20:55
I changed pounds for pesos at a couple of moneychangers in Manila and got a decent rate at the time. I found one in a branch of SM that was fine. Similar in Boracay.

Interestingly some credit card companies and banks are now supposed to be dropping charges on currency exchange. Saw that in the news a few days ago. Could make things altogether different.....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2076874/20m-victory-foreign-currency-rip-banks-ordered-drop-charges.html?ito=feeds-newsxml.

Also interestingly, it is not possible to change IOM notes in Phils or most other places, come to that. As I found out, even in remoter places like Boracay - they were still able to spot the difference between a UK 5 pound note and a IOM 5 pound note. Managed to slip one to a Manila taxi driver as he pestered me for a "souvenir" - teehee. The only place outside of the IOM that seems to take them is in Liverpool.....

malditako
21st December 2011, 23:16
you can change your money in any SM department store a lot safer but rate base it is quite low compare to black market.