PDA

View Full Version : Recommended Books Filipino culture

John_10
28th December 2011, 09:44
Hi this is John
First off...Merry Christmas to all and a Happy New year.

I would like to ask can anyone Recommended Books on Filipino culture. I woul very much like to get to know and understand my wifes culture. so can anyone Recommended any good Books.

Many thanks John

hawk
28th December 2011, 12:58
there are lots my friend its picking one you like the best i got mine from ebay and amazone The Rough Guide to the Philippines Book | David Dalton Philippines Insight Guide (Insight Guides), , Good Book then there the books about the war in philippines history past is what makes the future hope some of this helps good luck:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
28th December 2011, 19:07
Well John, if you would enjoy a couple of truly oustanding 'scholarly' novels written by world class writers then please research and then read:-

Noli Me Tangere (novel), by José Rizal
and
Dusk (novel), by Jose F. Sionil

Both of the above are a couple of the most wonderful books you will ever read.

Additionally I would very highly recommend the following:-

Culture Shock! Philippines, by Alfredo Roces
Insight Guide Philippines, by Sylvia Mayuga
Culture and Customs of the Philippines, by Paul A. Rodell

Then another excellent novel well worth researching to see if it's your thing:-
The Dead Season (novel), by Alan Berlow

There are plenty more very good books, but in my opinion all the above are the absolute must reads.
All should be easily available from Amazon and most at good prices too.

Hope you'll try. I guarantee you'll enjoy

BoholoX
29th December 2011, 04:20
An interesting and well written book mainly about the influence Marcos had on the RP is

America's Boy: A Century of United States Colonialism in the Philippines by James Hamilton-Paterson

One of the few books I have read a multitude of times

John_10
29th December 2011, 18:47
Thanks for the replys everyone had a look at all your choices and picked a couple of them to be getting on with from Amazon.
Once again many thanks

Dedworth
29th December 2011, 19:14
A useful thread - when I get some time I'll get hold of some of these books

Terpe
29th December 2011, 20:15
If anyone is thinking to learn something about Philippines culture and history, you might consider looking at Noli Me Tangere.

It's a classic and it's written by an acknowledged, accomplished writer and Philippine national hero José Rizal

If, like me, you own a Kindle then check out this free Kindle edition:-

The Social Cancer- English version of Noli Me Tangere [Kindle Edition] by José Rizal (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Social-Cancer-Noli-Tangere-ebook/dp/B000JQUPS2/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1325184055&sr=1-1)

If no Kindle then check out this free e-book download (in a format of your choice):-

The Social Cancer - English Version of Noli Me Tangere [in a format of your choice] by José Rizal (http://www.manybooks.net/titles/rizaljosetext048sccn10.html)

lastlid
30th December 2011, 15:52
I think it was Graham that recommended a book called "Imelda" Steel Butterfly of the Philippines. I aim to have a read of it in the nearer future.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Imelda+Marcos&x=0&y=0