PDA

View Full Version : Marriage certificate question?

manilabong
16th January 2012, 07:27
Hi, everyone! I'm new here and I have a question. In regards to the marriage certificate, does my husband have to register it in his local municipality? Thank you very much! :)

juvyjones28
16th January 2012, 07:57
Hi welcome to the friendly forum! :D:Wave:

Regarding your question, You want your marriage to be recognize in UK so Yes he need 1 original copy of Marriage Certificate (from NSO) and register your marriage at his local city hall.

I am also married to a british national and my husband asked me to request 3 copies of our marriage certificate. 1 for local city hall, 1 for his employment and 1 for us to have a copy and keep at home.

lastlid
16th January 2012, 09:48
You want your marriage to be recognize in UK so Yes he need 1 original copy of Marriage Certificate (from NSO) and register your marriage at his local city hall.

Ah. We havent done this. My wife has been here in Britain for 3 months. What is the benefit of doing this? And any idea of the process JuvyJones?

juvyjones28
16th January 2012, 10:12
Can I register an overseas marriage in the UK when I return?
No, but you can have your marriage documents deposited with the General Register Office (GRO).

This isn’t compulsory, but it means your marriage certificate is kept by the GRO as an official record and you will be able to easily get copies of it in the future.

Please note: you’ll need to get your documents translated if they’re not in English.

source:

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/births-deaths-marriages-civil/marriage-and-civil-partnerships/