PDA

View Full Version : Planning to take the Life in the UK Test

des.allright
18th January 2012, 19:15
Hello Everyone,

I need your advice with regards to taking the Life in the UK test. Arrived here in UK last year 24th of August and I am planning to take the test early next month. Will it be ok? knowing my Settlement Visa will expire November 2013.

Thanks for your replies! Have a lovely day!:)

Terpe
18th January 2012, 19:30
Hello Everyone,

I need your advice with regards to taking the Life in the UK test. Arrived here in UK last year 24th of August and I am planning to take the test early next month. Will it be ok? knowing my Settlement Visa will expire November 2013.

Thanks for your replies! Have a lovely day!:)

My advice is the same for everyone.
Study for, prepare for and take this test as early as you can.

Leaving it until later can be a poor strategy. Who knows what the future may hold, don't wait and put yourself under pressure. Maybe you'll be busy and find it tough finding time, maybe UKBA will create a new more difficult test or maybe the cost will increase.

Get it done and dusted as soon as possible.

milesaway1113
27th January 2012, 11:35
Get the book LIFE IN THE UNITED KINGDOM. A journey to Citizenship. 2nd edition(2011). You just need to review chapter 2-6.... Good luck!!!

lastlid
27th January 2012, 12:02
Anybody know if there is such a book for the UK and Islands? Evidently the tests are a little bit different for Jersey, Guernsey and Isle of Man.

milesaway1113
27th January 2012, 13:19
Anybody know if there is such a book for the UK and Islands? Evidently the tests are a little bit different for Jersey, Guernsey and Isle of Man.

Hi Lastid,

Im not sure with the Islands, but i use the LIFE IN THE UK. A journey to Citizenship. 2nd edition(2011). Just buy/borrow the book(COLOR BLUE) and for the practice test you could do online.... We bought it in waterstone or yet visit your nearest library if they have one.

Here is the site for more information.

http://lifeintheuktest.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/

sars_notd_virus
27th January 2012, 13:35
its better to take the test as early as you can,...read the book ''Life in the UK, A journey to citizenship''chapter 2-6...and when you know you've read and understand , read it again a day before your scheduled exam...good luck its easy peasy,lemon squeezy!!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

scottishbride
27th January 2012, 14:47
Take the Life in the UK test early as you can. As you'l never know they will make it difficult next time. I took mine in a month after arriving in the UK.:icon_lol: Which is way too early but no I made a right choice. Don't worry there is no expiration on the test result. Goodluck!:Hellooo::Hellooo:

lastlid
28th January 2012, 20:32
Just unearthed this website.....

http://www.hiren.info/life-in-the-uk-test/1

Sample questions.

joebloggs
28th January 2012, 20:50
When should I take the test?

You should take the test when you are ready to apply for naturalisation or settlement. Test results are valid for an indefinite period however Home Office states they will keep the test results for a reasonable period so taking it too early may cause problems.
http://www.lifeintheuktest.me.uk/?page_id=11

also there was some gossip a while ago the gov was thinking of making it valid for 2yrs,

so apply early but maybe not tooo early :rolleyes:

lastlid
28th January 2012, 21:06
If you happen to be on the Isle of Man, which is possible but not very likely, then this is quite a good document written by the IOM government on the very topic. £60.00 evidently. Nice and easy to read.

http://www.gov.im/lib/docs/cso/citizenshiptest2010.pdf

scottishbride
28th January 2012, 21:41
When should I take the test?

You should take the test when you are ready to apply for naturalisation or settlement. Test results are valid for an indefinite period however Home Office states they will keep the test results for a reasonable period so taking it too early may cause problems.
http://www.lifeintheuktest.me.uk/?page_id=11

also there was some gossip a while ago the gov was thinking of making it valid for 2yrs,

so apply early but maybe not tooo early :rolleyes:

Really Joe? I didn't realize it expire. I'm due to apply my citizenship this year so my test certificate will be 2 years this year to be exact. So hopefully it still ok.

joebloggs
28th January 2012, 21:48
Really Joe? I didn't realize it expire. I'm due to apply my citizenship this year so my test certificate will be 2 years this year to be exact. So hopefully it still ok.

it is only gossip at the moment there is NO EXPIRY date. so no worries :xxgrinning--00xx3:

des.allright
28th February 2012, 17:40
Just Passed the Life in the UK test today! 5wks study and the test was really DIFFICULT. I am expecting it to be easy because most of my friends told me its easy. 4 people passed out of 7, some were 2nd tries and one was from Australia.

It took me almost 45 mins to finish the test. I keep on going back the questions many times and we dont have the same test questions. Most questions were a bit tricky. So my advice to anyone who is planning to take the test this year.

Make sure you read and understand the question many times because not all answers were found on the book.

and Thanks to Terpe and the rest of the members for your good and practical advice!

Terpe
28th February 2012, 17:54
Very well done and many congratulations. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

You're right, it does take quite some study effort, but it has to be done.

For anyone thinking of taking this test, read the relevant chapters in the book and try some online practice tests.
There are also some books/CD's that you can buy that will help with the study/practice.

Arthur Little
28th February 2012, 18:25
Just Passed the Life in the UK test today!

:xxgrinning--00xx3: ... Congratulations - you've done MORE than "alright", Des - you've done really well!

5wks study and the test was really DIFFICULT.

You're perfectly correct ... it's NOT all that easy! :NoNo:

I am expecting it to be easy because most of my friends told me its easy.

Easy to say, maybe :rolleyes: ... after it's OVER and they've already passed it!

4 people passed out of 7, some were 2nd tries and one was from Australia.

57 percent, approximately. :cwm24: Mind you ... that doesn't unduly surprise me ... given the high setting of the passmark at 75%!

So my advice to anyone who is planning to take the test this year.

Make sure you read and understand the question many times because not all answers were found on the book.

Absolutely ... :iagree:

des.allright
28th February 2012, 20:47
Thank much Terpe And Arthur :Jump:

One down more to go! This site is a GREAT HELP! :)

rusty
28th February 2012, 21:12
Just Passed the Life in the UK test today! 5wks study and the test was really DIFFICULT. I am expecting it to be easy because most of my friends told me its easy. 4 people passed out of 7, some were 2nd tries and one was from Australia.

It took me almost 45 mins to finish the test. I keep on going back the questions many times and we dont have the same test questions. Most questions were a bit tricky. So my advice to anyone who is planning to take the test this year.

and Thanks to Terpe and the rest of the members for your good and practical advice!

Congratulations on passing the test :Jump::Jump:, it took my wife 2 attempts to pass.

There are also some books/CD's that you can buy that will help with the study/practice.

You could also try to borrow it at your local library and therefore save the cost of buying something you will only use once. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

lastlid
28th February 2012, 21:20
I bought our books on ebay....a little cheaper that way. :xxgrinning--00xx3: