Dedworth
25th January 2012, 16:28
To those forum members hailing from North of the Border

:Kilt:

You won't be able to afford any celebrations if Mr Salmond gets his way :D

Arthur Little
25th January 2012, 16:49
You won't be able to afford any celebrations if Mr Salmond gets his way :D

:gp: ... you're RIGHT there! :rolleyes: Let's hope and :pray: he DOESN'T!

Terpe
25th January 2012, 19:45
Och aye! Burns birthday 25 january 1759
Well done Dedworth, I was waiting for Arthur to post but you beat us both.

As well as having a flair for satire (Holy Willie's Prayer) Robert Burns believed strongly in equality, never lost his "common touch" and had a sharp eye for some interesting social observations of the time(Tam o'Shanter).

I'm not Scottish, but I used to enjoy many a happy Burns Night with some close friends in nearby Corby (often called 'little Scotland'). Sometimes making a trip to UK specially for the occassion.
Piping in the haggis with bagpipies, plenty of whisky, singing and dancing. Fabulous evenings. Hope I'll get a chance to experience Burns Night again.

Maybe I'll introduce it to the Philippines.
'Slange Var'

Englishman2010
25th January 2012, 23:22
Happy Burns Night to our Scottish friends:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Doc Alan
25th January 2012, 23:50
Thanks Ded, Arthur, Terpe, and Englishman :xxgrinning--00xx3:
As a Scot living in England I'm taking time away from the Burns Night celebrations at my local bar ( " The Highlander " ) to respond to your thread. There are many unanswered questions concerning Alex Salmond's proposal. It does seem that Scotland - and the remaining UK - would be worse off if " independence " ever happened ( http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-16636325 .; http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-16656138 ).
If in the future I'm classed as an illegal immigrant, the least of my worries will be affording to celebrate Burns Night. I'll be more concerned with your new slogan about tolerance :omg::icon_lol:
Cheers :xxgrinning--00xx3: Slainte var :xxgrinning--00xx3: Tagay tayo :xxgrinning--00xx3: ... to ALL Scottish members !

imagine
26th January 2012, 00:04
Happy Burns Night, :Kilt: :xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
26th January 2012, 00:41
Happy Burns night to our friends north of the borrrder. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Sometimes I think we get the wrong impression of the Scots. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxaOR6yjDh8&feature=related

Doc Alan
26th January 2012, 09:01
Happy Burns night to our friends north of the borrrder. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

.... and south, I hope, Graham :).
Things could change when you get independence for Yorkshire ! :icon_lol:

Englishman2010
26th January 2012, 10:06
I don't think you need to worry about being labelled an illegal in England Doc, you will always be welcome in England:xxgrinning--00xx3: as will Arthur and all of our Scottish friends on the forum.

As for the Scottish independence question, TBH I don't know enough about the pros and cons for the Scots. However, it is really a question that Scots should answer for themselves without interference from England. On a personal level I would be very happy if Scotland remained part of the UK, as I believe that together the 4 countries that make up the UK put us all in a much stronger position. However, whatever the majority of Scots decide, it is their decision and should be respected by all:xxgrinning--00xx3:

lastlid
26th January 2012, 10:46
If in the future I'm classed as an illegal immigrant, the least of my worries will be affording to celebrate Burns Night. I'll be more concerned with your new slogan about tolerance :omg::icon_lol:

Interesting slant, Doc. :icon_lol:

You will need a visa, Doc....

My former employer and current employer are based in Aberdeen. My former employer employs a sizeable number of Europeans and non European foreign nationals on visas / work permits. I can just see the English contingent of the workforce having to get visas / work permits for their work up there and passing through border control on the way out of Cumbria and into Dumfrieshire once a month.

lastlid
26th January 2012, 13:57
I just emailed a jocular Jockanese ex work colleague in Aberdeen on the topic of devolution and I quote his reply:

"Hadrian's wall will be rebuilt and electrified. English settlers with less than 3 years residency will be shot on sight. Survivors will be deported."

Arthur Little
26th January 2012, 16:36
:cwm24: ... coincidence perhaps ... but there's DEFINITELY something "fishy" :readingpapers: about this whole Scottish Independence business ... with a First Minister called Salmond - and his Deputy whose name is Nicola Sturgeon!! :D

lastlid
26th January 2012, 16:39
:cwm24: ... coincidence, perhaps ... but there's DEFINITELY something "fishy" :readingpapers: about this whole Scottish Independence business ... with a First Minister called Salmond - and his Deputy whose name is Nicola Sturgeon!!

From your take on things Arthur, do you think Mr Salmond will succeed?

Arthur Little
26th January 2012, 17:34
From your take on things Arthur, do you think Mr Salmond will succeed?

:rolleyes: ... not SURE, really. :anerikke: I certainly hope not! :iagree: with both Alan's and Ian's feelings that, long term, it would be ECONOMICALLY detrimental - not only for Scotland itself ... but, in turn, for the other three countries that make up the United Kingdom as it stands at present.

But then, Alex Salmond strikes me as being a "cocky" wee $hite. And, sadly :bigcry:- in MY experience - these over~confident types seem to have a knack of "winning the day". :doh

Doc Alan
26th January 2012, 19:05
So far only a minority of Scots want independence. Interestingly it's been reported that a larger minority of English want Scots independence !
Haggis is traditionally eaten at Burns suppers, and throughout the year. It's composed of sheep's heart, liver, and lungs, with onion, oatmeal, suet, spices and salt - although a vegetarian version exists. MacSween, who produce 1,000 tons of haggis each year ( enough for 5 million portions ) have claimed that 60% is sent to England. They say it sells particularly well in London and the south-east. What they don't say is what proportion of consumers is English ( and how haggis-eaters would vote ) :NoNo:.

lastlid
26th January 2012, 19:13
But then, Alex Salmond strikes me as being a "cocky" wee $hite. And, sadly :bigcry:- in MY experience - these over~confident types seem to have a knack of "winning the day". :doh

I know what you mean. He will no doubt influence a lot of people.

Englishman2010
26th January 2012, 20:46
I heard on the news that Salmond wants to give 16 and 17 yr olds the chance to vote on independence. The cynical side of me suspects that this is merely a ploy to increase his share of the vote on the basis that the majority of teenagers are anti establishment and confrontational and are unlikely to vote on favour of keeping the union. However, as I said before, this is something that has to be debated and decided by Scots alone, without English interference. However, on the reverse side, I would also like to see Scottish MP's barred from voting on issues which only affect England and Wales

grahamw48
26th January 2012, 20:55
I agree on that Ian.

What a horrible man....seeking to USE youngsters in this way. :NoNo:

lastlid
27th January 2012, 08:00
:iagree: with both Alan's and Ian's feelings that, long term, it would be ECONOMICALLY detrimental - not only for Scotland itself ... but, in turn, for the other three countries that make up the United Kingdom as it stands at present.

Yes, independence for the sake of it and not for any real good reason. Trouble is that it sounds good to the gullible.

lastlid
27th January 2012, 08:37
Interestingly, the Isle of Man is not part of the EU and is not part of the UK but is part of the British Isles. It has its own government and for example has its own taxation structure. If someone from the UK wishes to work here then they are required to have a permit and can only work here if no one from the island applies or can fulfil the role. I just wonder if that might be the model that Scotland might tend towards. Having said that the IOM doesnt have its own armed forces and relies on the UK.

A mate of mine reckons Alex Salmond is concerned about what state Dave leaves the NHS in England and wants to ensure it is retained in Scotland. Which is a fair point.

Doc Alan
27th January 2012, 09:48
A mate of mine reckons Alex Salmond is concerned about what state Dave leaves the NHS in England and wants to ensure it is retained in Scotland. Which is a fair point.
Agreed :).
It's often not made clear in the news that English Health Secretary Andrew Lansley's healthcare bill applies only to the NHS in England. In Scotland and Wales the NHS is opposed to a competitive market because there is insufficient evidence that it delivers better healthcare.

Arthur Little
27th January 2012, 12:36
Interestingly, the Isle of Man is not part of the EU and is not part of the UK but is part of the British Isles. It has its own government and for example has its own taxation structure. If someone from the UK wishes to work here then they are required to have a permit and can only work here if no one from the island applies or can fulfil the role. I just wonder if that might be the model that Scotland might tend towards. Having said that the IOM doesnt have its own armed forces and relies on the UK.

Thanks for providing this overview of how the system of government operates on the Isle of Man. Although long aware of *its existence, I've never quite been able to determine the exact legislative power(s) of the *Manx Parliament nor its official jurisdiction. :rolleyes:

lastlid
27th January 2012, 12:45
Well I dont quite understand it fully either. But they do make their own laws even if they are almost identical to UK laws in many instances. In many cases they shadow UK laws. Evidently the UK has a big influence, as in the visa malarky where the UK has a large say in the acceptance or refusal of Spouse or Fiancee visas. I just posted a bit on ILR today and you will see similarities and differences with the UK ILR. But then there already are similar kinds of differences between England and Scotland already. The Isle of Man is dependant on the UK in a way that I could see, by contrast, Scotland being more self supporting if Alex Salmonella takes it to the ultimate conclusion.

IOM has its own government . There is a bit in wikipedia on it but it doesnt really make things particularly clearer.

Arthur Little
27th January 2012, 12:49
the Isle of Man is not part of the EU

Hah ... that IT (or, more accurately) its residents should be so lucky! :cwm24:

lastlid
27th January 2012, 12:53
If you were here you would be forgiven for thinking you were in the UK but there are certainly some key differences. No such thing as an MOT test here, for example. One test after 3 years from new and thats it.:icon_lol:

Arthur Little
27th January 2012, 12:58
Alex *Salmonella

:laugher: ... I LIKE it! Hopefully, the majority of Scots will have the foresight to not allow themselves to become smitten by the *"bug"!

Arthur Little
27th January 2012, 13:29
No such thing as an MOT test here, for example. One test after 3 years from new and thats it. :icon_lol:

Eh! :Rasp: ... there must be an awful lot of unroadworthy old "bangers" on the island then, surely? :D

lastlid
27th January 2012, 13:56
Well yeh. But if the police stop you and your car is unroadworthy then you get heavily fined. Slightly different approach.

BTW my employers wife has just this minute had a box of haggis delivered at work here. She said she is going to celebrate at the weekend. (She isnt Scottish but used to live in Ballater).

lastlid
27th January 2012, 14:31
Eh! :Rasp: ... there must be an awful lot of unroadworthy old "bangers" on the island then, surely? :D

Well, i get the impression there is a higher percentage of old bangers here but I am used to Aberdeen which apparently has the highest new car to old car ratio in the country. Or at least did have.

I think an MOT every year is a better approach. I agree.

Terpe
27th January 2012, 14:38
For me, a good quality haggis tastes just sublime.
Tasty, meaty and really quite spicy. It's a real treat. Especially with a good full ration of malt whisky and the company of a 'wee bonnie lass' :xxgrinning--00xx3:

lastlid
27th January 2012, 14:41
Especially with a good full ration of malt whisky and the company of a 'wee bonnie lass' :xxgrinning--00xx3:

A Filipina in a kilt and tam o shanter. :icon_lol:

Arthur Little
27th January 2012, 18:11
A Filipina in a *kilt and tam o shanter. :icon_lol:

Shan't bother with 'Tam'! :Kilt: But 'er :rolleyes: in a mini~*skirt ... :hubbahubba: