PDA

View Full Version : Anglo-Filipino Couples: UK Channel 4 documentary series

freshone
26th January 2012, 11:16
Fresh One are a UK based television production company founded by the television chef Jamie Oliver, and are making a primetime, documentary series for Channel 4 television about young, Anglo-Filipino relationships in Britain today. The series hopes to offer genuine insight into modern relationships between young, British men and young, Filipino women who have found love and are about to come to the UK for first time.

The documentary hopes to offer a fresh and contemporary perspective on a new generation of Anglo- Filipino partnerships, challenging old stereotypes and exploring the cultural diversity that can be achieved in such couples. Our aim is to produce a series with a warm and informative tone, following the Filipino women’s experiences of British culture for the first time and documenting the couples expectations of one another and how these can be achieved and overcome.

We are looking for people who have recently settled in the UK but also those who are potentially about to settle in the UK in the next few months. This allows us to document the Filipino women’s first encounters of British culture - be that, food, family or work - and through this hold a mirror up to British values, our expectations and contemporary culture in comparison. Our idea is to produce a warm documentary that looks at British men, British women and the nuances we may take for granted in our British culture through the new Filipino settlers eyes.

I would be incredibly grateful if you could pass this email to any members who have recently settled in the UK or are about to settle in the UK. Or I can send you our ad spec by email if it is easier? My details so they can contact me are below, so if they are interested in taking part in the series they can contact me directly. We are hoping to speak to various such couples for an initial confidential research chat to firstly find out more about their own experiences and also to find couples who are interested in finding out about the series in a view to potentially be part of it once in production.

Do let me know if this is something you might be able to help with.
Many thanks once again for being so helpful.
Yours,
Rosie

Producer| Fresh One Productions Ltd
19-21 Nile Street | London | N1 7LL | United Kingdom
Direct Line: +44 (0) 203 375 5120
rosie.o’connor@freshone.tv

lastlid
26th January 2012, 15:06
Nice one. :xxgrinning--00xx3: Thanks.

Any idea when this will be shown? Looks like it is yet to be made....

Only thing is, I cant really describe myself as a young British male.

Tawi2
26th January 2012, 15:10
television chef Jamie Oliver

the Filipino women’s first encounters of British culture - be that, food
Jamie could go round their house and cook for the couple ;)

lastlid
26th January 2012, 15:21
Jamie could go round their house and cook for the couple ;)

Not such a daft idea. Neither me nor my wife can cook. Has been a bit of a problem for us...

Englishman2010
26th January 2012, 15:30
Great idea and good luck:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Will Jamie be teaching the British public how to cook a decent Adobo or Sinigang in his next TV series:icon_lol:

lastlid
26th January 2012, 15:33
Will Jamie be teaching the British public how to cook a decent Adobo or Sinigang in his next TV series:icon_lol:

I hope so.....and why not....not so daft an idea as it sounds either....

My wife and I have been discussing the very topic, chicken adobo, today as it will be another first for her to cook it here....

Tawi2
26th January 2012, 15:59
Will Jamie be teaching the British public how to cook a decent Adobo or Sinigang
I was actually thinking more of next-doors Yorkshire Terrier,Jamie comes round,gets tanked up on Tanduay and Red Horse,feels peckish,cupboards are bare,hears the yorkie yapping next door ;) It is supposed to be a real-life documentary right :)

Steve.r
26th January 2012, 16:22
Luckily, my wife is a wonderful cook, she can rustle up a meal for the family in minutes...... and I dont mean whipping down to the local Burger Machine :doh

lastlid
26th January 2012, 16:26
Luckily, my wife is a wonderful cook, she can rustle up a meal for the family in minutes...... and I dont mean whipping down to the local Burger Machine :doh

My wifes mum is like that but she is in Cavite!

Tawi2
26th January 2012, 16:42
All pinays can cook I think?Its genetic,my woman can cook everything and anything from snake to steak,she spends a lot of time at meetings and travelling but when she is back home at her mums her relaxation is to cook,its her hobby :)

lastlid
26th January 2012, 16:44
All pinays can cook I think?Its genetic,my woman can cook everything and anything from snake to steak,she spends a lot of time at meetings and travelling but when she is back home at her mums her relaxation is to cook,its her hobby :)

No they cant. My wife has a degree in Hotel and Restaurant Management but cant cook. Her mum cooks full time for her employers family. Amazing. :icon_lol:

Tawi2
26th January 2012, 16:48
a degree in Hotel and Restaurant Management but cant cook.
Thats incredible :icon_lol: I never met one yet who didnt oohhh and ahhhh when looking at shiny new pans and sharp knives:Erm: and kitchen stuff :icon_lol: We live and learn :)

raynaputi
26th January 2012, 16:49
a chance for the couples here to be a star! :D

lastlid
26th January 2012, 16:51
Thats incredible I never met one yet who didnt oohhh and ahhhh when looking at shiny new pans and sharp knives and kitchen stuff We live and learn

Maybe she is one of a new breed of modern day Filipinas........

Tawi2
26th January 2012, 16:59
Maybe she is one of a new breed of modern day Filipinas........
Yup,times are a changing :)

lastlid
26th January 2012, 17:09
Yup,times are a changing

We were both talking last night, how her life has been so different to her mother's and how her nephew's life will probably be so different again.....

milesaway1113
26th January 2012, 17:50
Im not a good cook as well, but my husband think I am. LOL! He likes adobo and pork chop. I told him those are the easy to cook. ...He still think that I am...tsk tsk.. poor hubby hasnt tasted those food that are cook from a real filipino cook...:):) for the meantime, just enjoying the compliment. As i know it wont be long he will found out my cooking is a crap!!!:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

tone
26th January 2012, 18:11
Whilst living in Malaysia Rina was never showing her culinary skills, now she is here with me in England she has completely blown me away with her cooking, I love it!
Good thing is I can cook pretty decent Indian dishes too - although I dont do it so often these days!

so who is up for showing the rest of the country how easy it is to bring your loved one to these shores legally? :icon_lol:

Tone

raynaputi
26th January 2012, 18:24
I'm not a cook and I don't need to be coz Keith only eats fried rice and chicken most of the time..hahaha..:icon_lol: But I'm kinda learning how to cook now coz I need to if I want to eat Filipino dishes..I know how to cook pork sinigang, adobo, giniling (ground beef/pork with diced carrots and potatoes) and pinoy style spaghetti now..:xxgrinning--00xx3::D I hope I can cook my favorite kare-kare someday :Rasp: thanks to youtube! :D

juvyjones28
26th January 2012, 18:32
I like this thread! :D:xxgrinning--00xx3: I'm not flattering myself but cooking is my passion, I do love to cook! My specialties are Filipino, Italian, Thai, Japanese & English foods. :xxgrinning--00xx3: I had a small short order business before and I had a short training. But I only cook at home, I'd like to study again and take Culinary course in England. My husband can't cook that much he only knows how to eat :icon_lol::icon_lol: but sometimes he prepare traditional English foods. But still, I'm proud of him :icon_lol:

I'd like to invite you at home someday guys. I cook a lot of foods when there is celebration and I love to see people eating my dishes. :wiggle:

Dedworth
26th January 2012, 18:50
a chance for the couples here to be a star! :D

Anyone doing it should be able to negotiate a fairly fat fee - there won't be many takers

Tawi2
26th January 2012, 19:48
so who is up for showing the rest of the country how easy it is to bring your loved one to these shores legally?
I could show them how to bring people to these shores ILLEGALLY :icon_lol: But it might be a bumpy ride and they would have to splash the cash :icon_lol:

there won't be many takers
Someone will do it,this is the age of the reality TV "Star" andy warhol 15 minutes of fame and that jazz,some domineering pinay will order her meek mild timothy type husband to apply so she can be on TV :icon_lol:

Doc Alan
26th January 2012, 20:05
I'd like to invite you at home someday guys. I cook a lot of foods when there is celebration and I love to see people eating my dishes. :wiggle:
What a generous offer :). I wish you all the luck in sorting your spouse visa and coming to UK in March - when you do that will be cause enough for celebration !
You have made a good impression on the forum Juvy, I'm glad of your friendship, please stay around :xxgrinning--00xx3:.

grahamw48
26th January 2012, 20:16
Well, let's just hope they manage to skirt around the usual stereotyping of 'mail order brides' etc.:rolleyes:

Having known people who have appeared on such 'warm' documentaries, I can't say I would want to have my 15 minutes of fame in that way.

The editing can portray a very different programme than the one you thought you were taking part in.:NoNo:

Now if they were proposing to take up valuable airtime with a programme about the rip-off visa fees and ridiculous hoops that prospective bride and groom have to jump through in order to enter the country in the first place...

lastlid
26th January 2012, 20:20
The editing can portray a very different programme than the one you thought you were taking part in.:NoNo:

That's what I thought too.

lastlid
27th January 2012, 12:08
Well they wont be looking at us as a couple as I don't quite slip into the age category. :icon_lol:

On the cooking slant, my wife is learning fast. She made a cracking banana cake just a few days ago! Pinoy recipe.

juvyjones28
27th January 2012, 13:42
What a generous offer :). I wish you all the luck in sorting your spouse visa and coming to UK in March - when you do that will be cause enough for celebration !
You have made a good impression on the forum Juvy, I'm glad of your friendship, please stay around :xxgrinning--00xx3:.

Thanks Doc Alan! Yes we will celebrate once I get my spouse visa granted :xxgrinning--00xx3: :D

:thankyou: for the friendship as well.

Ingat palagi.

South-east boy
27th January 2012, 14:05
I'm not a cook and I don't need to be coz Keith only eats fried rice and chicken most of the time..hahaha..:icon_lol: But I'm kinda learning how to cook now coz I need to if I want to eat Filipino dishes..I know how to cook pork sinigang, adobo, giniling (ground beef/pork with diced carrots and potatoes) and pinoy style spaghetti now..:xxgrinning--00xx3::D I hope I can cook my favorite kare-kare someday :Rasp: thanks to youtube! :D

You should try this chicken version of Pata Tim (guess you'd call it Manok Tim?!):
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7158/6770516625_fc86f1e316.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7023/6770516633_6c46f7d09f.jpg

I loved it! :hubbahubba:

Ps. That's a piece of Cassava cake I made to the top right of the 2nd pic! :D

lastlid
27th January 2012, 14:35
Looks delicious.

I keep asking my wife to make Graham Cake (mango float) but she says the mangos here are not the right type. Any advice?

raynaputi
27th January 2012, 14:41
Looks delicious.

I keep asking my wife to make Graham Cake (mango float) but she says the mangos here are not the right type. Any advice?

you can ask her to try that with peaches instead :xxgrinning--00xx3:

lastlid
27th January 2012, 14:42
Is that tinned peaches, Rayna?

I really like Graham Cake with mangos. Couldn't stand Halo Halo - sweetcorn in a dessert......

South-east boy
27th January 2012, 14:46
Looks delicious.

She might mean she needs honey mangoes? They are the yellow ones and most supermarkets etc, only do the green & red ones. Quite often Indian/Asian shops will sell the honey ones.

lastlid
27th January 2012, 14:49
She might mean she needs honey mangoes? They are the yellow ones and most supermarkets etc, only do the green & red ones. Quite often Indian/Asian shops will sell the honey ones.

Ah. I see. I know there is a million varieties of mangos in the Philippines.....yes, its the green and red ones she says aren't the right type. We know where to get Graham Crackers though, so halfway there.

raynaputi
27th January 2012, 15:12
Is that tinned peaches, Rayna?

I really like Graham Cake with mangos. Couldn't stand Halo Halo - sweetcorn in a dessert......

yep..that's what I always use with the graham cakes..by the way, where do you get graham crackers? I only saw them in the Chinese warehouse but last time I've only seen the flavored ones and not the plain ones..do any of you know a good substitution for Graham crackers for the cakes?

lastlid
27th January 2012, 15:21
I know this will be of no help to you as we are on an island tucked away near the north east coast of northern ireland. But we have a shop on the island (ironically called Robinson's) that sells a limited range of pinoy foods along with some other asian foods. (It sells jars of ready made Halo Halo, just add the ice cream hehe)

raynaputi
27th January 2012, 15:27
I know this will be of no help to you as we are on an island tucked away near the north east coast of northern ireland. But we have a shop on the island (ironically called Robinson's) that sells a limited range of pinoy foods along with some other asian foods. (It sells jars of ready made Halo Halo, just add the ice cream hehe)

yeah, the Chinese warehouse we always go to in Liverpool also sells those stuffs..I've read that Graham crackers are equivalent to digestive biscuits here in the UK..i'll just have a look on what available and if they have square ones coz all I see in the internet are round biscuits! :doh

sars_notd_virus
27th January 2012, 15:54
hmm I love cooking ..in fact kitchen is my most favorite part of the house,..the only good thing here in UK is that they have alternatives for filipino/asian ingredients(lots of fresh herb and spices to choose from)... the food may not actually look the same but you can make it awfully delicious !!

lastlid
27th January 2012, 15:57
..the only good thing here in UK is that they have alternatives for filipino/asian ingredients(lots of fresh herb and spices to choose from)... the food may not actually look the same but you can make it awfully delicious !!

Yes, you are so correct. British food can be so good if prepared well.

Dedworth
27th January 2012, 17:00
I love the way these threads go off at a tangent - starts off with production co looking for Anglo - Phil couples................ within a post or two we're into food & cooking. :icon_lol:

Here's my pic of traditional British grub

http://hungryhouse.co.uk/images/news/816/fish_and_chips.jpg

It looks good I might even treat us to some tonight :)

South-east boy
27th January 2012, 17:07
I love the way these threads go off at a tangent - starts off with production co looking for Anglo - Phil couples................ within a post or two we're into food & cooking. :icon_lol:

Making me hungry! :icon_lol: But back to the original title, like said before, I hope they keep the stories like they were told to them, rather than editing them to suit their own angle as we know the press can do. If good intentions and they keep true, I look forward to watching this!

Dedworth
27th January 2012, 17:11
Making me hungry! :icon_lol: But back to the original title, like said before, I hope they keep the stories like they were told to them, rather than editing them to suit their own angle as we know the press can do. If good intentions and they keep true, I look forward to watching this!

I hope when we watch the prog there are scenes of devout Catholic Filipinas chomping into fish & chips on Fridays :D

juvyjones28
27th January 2012, 17:15

Yummy, I so love Fish and chips with ketchup and mayonnaise :D:xxgrinning--00xx3: :hubbahubba:

Terpe
27th January 2012, 17:36
[QUOTE=Dedworth;335758]

Looks like a nice bit of fish that :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I just love my home-made chips :hubbahubba:

sars_notd_virus
27th January 2012, 17:55
I dont fancy fish and chips:NoNo:
..I only like my fish to be grilled or poached;):xxgrinning--00xx3:

Doc Alan
27th January 2012, 17:56
" The series hopes to offer genuine insight into modern relationships between young, British men and young, Filipino women who have found love and are about to come to the UK for first time. "
It doesn't apply to me, so all I can do is give a positive message of support for any members thinking of taking part :).

malditako
27th January 2012, 18:46

love it with mushy peas and vinegar..yumyum!!!

Sim11UK
27th January 2012, 22:18
Anyone up for it then? :Hellooo:

Tawi2
27th January 2012, 22:38
Anyone up for it then?
I wonder if theres a financial inducement?No ones going to volunteer to do it for nowt....are they?:Erm: Pay for the visa's,flights and all associated costs maybe?

Sim11UK
27th January 2012, 22:51
I wonder if theres a financial inducement?No ones going to volunteer to do it for nowt....are they?:Erm: Pay for the visa's,flights and all associated costs maybe?

I expect they'll cry they've got no budget? I had 'Countryfile' ring me a while back, wanting to hire something...they said they were very poor?? they didn't ring back. :doh

I'll look forward to the programme. :)

grahamw48
27th January 2012, 23:19
Suppose I could always lie about my age. :Erm:

Eia
30th January 2012, 14:16
Hi Rosie,

I am interested in knowing more about this.

I think a lot of people would benefit from a bit of documentary education. My husband and I are not that young, I'm turning 34 while my husband's turning 44. But it doesn't help that I could pass for a 25 year old here in the UK. Asian genes = petite features.

In the Philippines, compatriots whom we would meet on our travels would comment on how lucky I am to find such a gorgeous WHITE guy. In China, a middle aged woman dropped her jaw when she saw me walking hand in hand with my husband, and circled around us with her mouth wide open (eyeing me from head to toe, as if I were an ape at a zoo.) Also in China someone once asked my husband's secretary, "why is he with a Filipino? Does she come from a family of maids?" In Macao and Australia, without mal-intent, some Filipino men would comment "he married you because you're a pretty girl." While some Filipino workers in Hong Kong would typically ask how I "cope with having to eat and cook Western food." The ignorance and stereotyping doesn't just come from the Western end. Even we, Asians, do it with each other.

Why couldn't people say that possibly, my husband married me because I'm a good person, and maybe I'm a clever girl in my own way? Or, could it also be possible that even if I am Filipino, I have enough "sophistication" to enjoy wine, cheese, Italian, Greek, Spanish, and French food PRIOR to meeting my husband? I've read more English literature than my husband ever has. Maybe we have some things in common! But of course, no one ever thinks of that first because I'm a Filipino.

These are small things which people have to realize about mixed marriages of Filipinos and western men, or Asian women and western men. For sure, there will still be a chunk of the stereotypical relationships that are poverty driven - Russian and Brazilian women are stereotyped as well. But if your documentary can succeed in showing that times are changing, and love does blossom in strange places, then there might be a chance that couples like us can walk hand in hand, and not receive any stares from passers by. After all, isn't it considered rude to stare here in England?:)

Cheers,
Eia

lastlid
30th January 2012, 14:33
Hi Rosie,

I think a lot of people would benefit from a bit of documentary education. My husband and I are not that young, I'm turning 34 while my husband's turning 44. But it doesn't help that I could pass for a 25 year old here in the UK. Asian genes = petite features.

In the Philippines, compatriots whom we would meet on our travels would comment on how lucky I am to find such a gorgeous WHITE guy. In China, a middle aged woman dropped her jaw when she saw me walking hand in hand with my husband, and circled around us with her mouth wide open (eyeing me from head to toe, as if I were an ape at a zoo.) Also in China someone once asked my husband's secretary, "why is he with a Filipino? Does she come from a family of maids?" In Macao and Australia, without mal-intent, some Filipino men would comment "he married you because you're a pretty girl." While some Filipino workers in Hong Kong would typically ask how I "cope with having to eat and cook Western food." The ignorance and stereotyping doesn't just come from the Western end. Even we, Asians, do it with each other.

Why couldn't people say that possibly, my husband married me because I'm a good person, and maybe I'm a clever girl in my own way? Or, could it also be possible that even if I am Filipino, I have enough "sophistication" to enjoy wine, cheese, Italian, Greek, Spanish, and French food PRIOR to meeting my husband? I've read more English literature than my husband ever has. Maybe we have some things in common! But of course, no one ever thinks of that first because I'm a Filipino.

These are small things which people have to realize about mixed marriages of Filipinos and western men, or Asian women and western men. For sure, there will still be a chunk of the stereotypical relationships that are poverty driven - Russian and Brazilian women are stereotyped as well. But if your documentary can succeed in showing that times are changing, and love does blossom in strange places, then there might be a chance that couples like us can walk hand in hand, and not receive any stares from passers by. After all, isn't it considered rude to stare here in England?:)

Cheers,
Eia

Well said.

tone
30th January 2012, 15:11

Me too I was wondering that!

Eia - yes very well said - I have been on the end of some of these attitudes - was warned against being with a Filipina and given ultimatums by friends (so called) and colleagues but I dont listen to anyone else usually that get involved in my private life - I'm a free agent and I make up my mind.

I too would be interested - but fear I am too old and not sterotypical enough!

Doc Alan
30th January 2012, 15:17
Hi Rosie,

I think a lot of people would benefit from a bit of documentary education.
I fully support you Eia :xxgrinning--00xx3:
At my age it's inappropriate to offer advice - I can't change my age, but I can avoid ever being labelled a grumpy or cynical old man :xxgrinning--00xx3:.

Sim11UK
30th January 2012, 22:57
Yes go for it Eia, I'll watch you on the programme.
You're in Bristol as well. :xxgrinning--00xx3: