PDA

View Full Version : question about co-sponsors when applying for my wife's visa

mary_drew
26th January 2012, 21:02
Hi Guys,

This is Drew. We are applying for my wife's visa soon and I've got a question about the co-sponsors who can support us when my wife is in the UK if they need to. My sister lives in Germany and I was wondering if this will be acceptable to still put her as a co-sponsor or does it need to be family who live in the UK?

sars_notd_virus
27th January 2012, 16:56
Hi Guys,

My sister lives in Germany and I was wondering if this will be acceptable to still put her as a co-sponsor or does it need to be family who live in the UK?

It is not clearly written that the co-sponsor need to be in the uk , but I think (co-sponsor) should be a british citizen and immediate family.

read the sample:
http://www.londonelegance.com/transpondia/cosponsor.shtml

mary_drew
27th January 2012, 22:09
thanks for the link. yea my sister is british she is just living in germany with her husband.

Terpe
29th January 2012, 11:07
This is a tricky one, and difficult to answer with any certainty.

The UKBA currently say that:-

Maintenance may be provided by either:-

The applicant with their own funds or with funds available to them
OR
The sponsor
OR
A combination of applicant and sponsor funds
OR
Third party support (from family members). The ECO may request evidence (for example, original bank statements over at least three months) of the third party's assets. Third party support is not precluded from consideration under the maintenance requirements relating to a spouse.

Immigration Directorate Instructions - Chapter 8, Annex F
5.1. Assistance from other sources

"A couple or other applicant who is/are unable to produce sufficient evidence to meet the maintenance requirement may provide an undertaking from members of their families that those members will support the couple/ applicant until they are able to support themselves from their own resources.
Third party support is not precluded from consideration under the maintenance requirements relating to spouses, civil partners, fiancé(e)s, proposed civil partners, unmarried partners, same-sex partners, children, parents, grandparents and other dependent relatives of sponsors who are settled in the UK.
The caseworker will need to verify and assess an offer of third party support in order to determine whether an applicant satisfies the requirement that he/ she can be adequately maintained in the UK without recourse to public funds. The caseworker may request evidence (e.g. original bank statements over at least three months) of the third party’s assets.
It is open to the caseworker to ask a third party offering long-term support to become a joint sponsor and to give an undertaking (under paragraph 35 HC 395) to underwrite his commitment."

The ECO must look at the question of whether third party support is sufficiently well-evidenced and reliable-looking to take into account when considering the question of maintenance

BUT..... the immigration rules above mention that a Sponsorship Undertaking Form (http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/applicationforms/visas/sponsorship-form.pdf)

may be required/requested.
The big problem here is that this form appears to indicate that UK residence is required.

I think it's better to get this clarified in writing from UKBA

mary_drew
30th January 2012, 19:38
thanks trepe for the above info. i may look into this further as you have suggested by contacing the UKBA to give more clarification on this.

Terpe
30th January 2012, 19:43
thanks trepe for the above info. i may look into this further as you have suggested by contacing the UKBA to give more clarification on this.

Well done. It really is worth a phone call or e-mail.
Probably an e-mail would be the better option.

Some of the telephone advisors do not quite reach the level expected. No offence to the hard working telephone advisors of UKBA (just more coaching needed) :D

mary_drew
30th January 2012, 19:51
Some of the telephone advisors do not quite reach the level expected. No offence to the hard working telephone advisors of UKBA (just more coaching needed)

yeah maybe an email will be the better then :icon_lol: once i have an answer i will post it so it may help someone else in the future maybe :cwm24:

Terpe
30th January 2012, 21:40
yeah maybe an email will be the better then :icon_lol: once i have an answer i will post it so it may help someone else in the future maybe :cwm24:

:xxgrinning--00xx3:

mary_drew
30th January 2012, 22:24
i didn't get a direct answer from UKBA just a standard email giving links.

Thank you for contacting the UK Border Agency.

Please ensure to read the following information as you will not receive another response.

Alternatively please visit our comprehensive website at http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk <http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/> for further information.

The information in this message answers the most frequently asked questions. It includes links to the relevant parts of our website, where more detailed information can be found. If we have not included information or a link to the website for the subject you are enquiring about, please enter key words into the "search" facility on the website.

If you have sent us information about an immigration offence, or a complaint, please be assured that it will be forwarded to the appropriate team. You do not need to send the information again.

Terpe
30th January 2012, 22:50
Oh dear. I just hate it when that happens, mainly it just doesn't help me.

Looks like a phone call then :doh

I think this is an important issue for you. You could always try asking a local immigration advisor or even your local CAB.
I wish I knew the definitive answer but I just don't. My personal feeling is that co-sponsors need to be resident in UK.

mary_drew
31st January 2012, 20:20
thanks for the information that you have provided terpe.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

yea it looks like i will have to bite the proverbial bullet and give them a cal :omg:l, if i don't get an answer from them i can always try the local CAB or local immigration advisor to see if they are able to help or give any further information.

You are probably right that the co-sponsors may need to reside in the UK but you never know so its always worth looking into.

Again thank you for the information you have provided.

iamghee
9th February 2012, 00:09
This is a tricky one, and difficult to answer with any certainty.

The UKBA currently say that:-

Maintenance may be provided by either:-

The applicant with their own funds or with funds available to them
OR
The sponsor
OR
A combination of applicant and sponsor funds
OR
Third party support (from family members). The ECO may request evidence (for example, original bank statements over at least three months) of the third party's assets. Third party support is not precluded from consideration under the maintenance requirements relating to a spouse.

Immigration Directorate Instructions - Chapter 8, Annex F
5.1. Assistance from other sources

"A couple or other applicant who is/are unable to produce sufficient evidence to meet the maintenance requirement may provide an undertaking from members of their families that those members will support the couple/ applicant until they are able to support themselves from their own resources.
Third party support is not precluded from consideration under the maintenance requirements relating to spouses, civil partners, fiancé(e)s, proposed civil partners, unmarried partners, same-sex partners, children, parents, grandparents and other dependent relatives of sponsors who are settled in the UK.
The caseworker will need to verify and assess an offer of third party support in order to determine whether an applicant satisfies the requirement that he/ she can be adequately maintained in the UK without recourse to public funds. The caseworker may request evidence (e.g. original bank statements over at least three months) of the third party’s assets.
It is open to the caseworker to ask a third party offering long-term support to become a joint sponsor and to give an undertaking (under paragraph 35 HC 395) to underwrite his commitment."

The ECO must look at the question of whether third party support is sufficiently well-evidenced and reliable-looking to take into account when considering the question of maintenance

BUT..... the immigration rules above mention that a Sponsorship Undertaking Form (http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/applicationforms/visas/sponsorship-form.pdf)

may be required/requested.
The big problem here is that this form appears to indicate that UK residence is required.

I think it's better to get this clarified in writing from UKBA

Hi Terpe,

This may sound stupid of me but I would ask it anyway just to be safe. My husband and I are wondering if we can have more than 1 sponsor for my spouse visa application. He is thinking of adding both his mum and dad as my sponsor who are both in the UK. From what you said on this thread. It looks like UK VFS allows it, isn't it?

Rosie1958
9th February 2012, 00:31
thanks for the information that you have provided terpe.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

yea it looks like i will have to bite the proverbial bullet and give them a cal :omg:l, if i don't get an answer from them i can always try the local CAB or local immigration advisor to see if they are able to help or give any further information.

You are probably right that the co-sponsors may need to reside in the UK but you never know so its always worth looking into.

Again thank you for the information you have provided.

Hi ....... Sponsorship Undertaking form SU07/01 clearly states at the beginning of the form:-

The sponsor giving this undertaking must be resident in the United Kingdom (see Note 1)

Note 1: The sponsor should provide evidence that he/she lives at the address given above. This evidence should include one or more documents from the list below. Please note that applicants must also provide evidence of their sponsor's ability to maintain and accommodate them without recourse to public funds.

• Certified copy of deeds of sponsor’s house
• Letter from building society/bank confirming they hold a mortgage for the sponsor
• Housing association/council rent book or other council letter confirming address of sponsor
• Bill from a utility company (gas, water etc.)
• Local authority letter (council tax)
• Letter from any government department

Hopefully, this answers your question.:xxgrinning--00xx3: