PDA

View Full Version : Life in Northern Ireland for Filipinos - new report

John.C
4th February 2012, 23:00
Hope this has not been posted already. A report by the Alliance of Filipino Communities in Northern Ireland and NICEM is an interesting but depressing read for all of us. The findings are primarily based on 19 in-depth interviews and a survey of 147 adult Filipinos.
Download the pdf here:
http://www.nicem.org.uk/elibrary/publication/bayanihan-research-on-the-filipino-community-in-ni

Dedworth
4th February 2012, 23:34
Thanks for posting - I just read through the Executive Summary and will read the whole report soon. I'd imagine a lot of the findings would apply to the rest of the UK. Para 10 regarding racist (maybe they should say racial) harassment is of concern - it would be good to see an employer up in court.

joebloggs
4th February 2012, 23:43
:xxgrinning--00xx3: John, interesting report and it is pretty bleak reading, those on work-permits really do have a hard time, those on student visa's i have lesser sympathy for, as your suppose to be here to study not work. :NoNo:

joebloggs
4th February 2012, 23:50
. Para 10 regarding racist (maybe they should say racial) harassment is of concern - it would be good to see an employer up in court.

where i work, and probably every place i have worked, Micky taking, calling each other names has always gone on, most of the time no offense has really been meant and most of it is just meant as friendly banter, so i wonder if some of these Filipino's have taken offense to this?

in the 7yra my misses has been in the Uk, I cant recall any time of her telling me about racial harassment, thou she gets :censored: when people thinks shes Chinese :D

grahamw48
5th February 2012, 00:38
One day when my ex was pushing the pram with our baby boy in it, some kids apparently shouted 'Paki' at her.

She was quite upset at the time.

When my boy was about 5 or 6 years old at least one of the kids at school had started racially taunting him about his 'Japanese' eyes.

My visit to the head teacher the next day put a stop to that pronto. :angry:

Dedworth
5th February 2012, 10:31
I was doing a bit of searching about harassment and immigration status of care workers and came by this Parliamentary debate from 2007

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200607/cmhansrd/cm071023/halltext/71023h0009.htm

Aside from all the work permit trickery etc one small piece stood out from a Welsh Labour MP

I congratulate my hon. Friend on securing the debate. She mentions that the Filipino workers are law-abiding. Does she agree that, of all the immigrant groups, they are probably the most industrious, well-motivated, law-abiding and socially integrated in our society? Does she agree also that the Minister should show some compassion when dealing with that group and that they should be allowed to work out their current permits? Their precipitous removal would be at great personal cost to the individuals, their families and the hundreds of thousands of elderly people who need that top-quality care.

grahamw48
5th February 2012, 10:38
Wow !

RESPECT to that MP. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Dedworth
5th February 2012, 11:07
Wow !

RESPECT to that MP. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I missed off putting his name - Chris Ruane he's still an MP

joebloggs
5th February 2012, 11:17
I missed off putting his name - Chris Ruane he's still an MP

praise from Dedworth for a Welsh Labour Party politician :yikes:
i wonder what kind words he has for his mate fergie

Dedworth
5th February 2012, 11:53
Credit where credit is due Joe but I can't see anything that would justify extending it to SAF :)