PDA

View Full Version : When is the best time to apply for SPOUSE Visa?

iamghee
5th February 2012, 09:53
Hi,

I have so many questions and worries in mind right now and I know that some of you may have bumped into my other post yesterday so sorry If I had to create a new one. Here is the situation, I met my husband when I was in the UK for a family visit of 5 months, my hubby and I dated for 3months when I was still in the UK and before my visa even expired I had to go back home in the Philippines, was apart from my hubby for 3 long months and waited until he came over in January 2012, we got married here in the Philippines. Now we are just waiting to accomplish all the requirements that we need. However, another thing that worries me is he just got a job offer in December 2011 and will start on February this year as I mentioned he came over here in the Philippines just last month and spent almost a month over here, he has been self employed in the UK for the longest time and do not have wage slips, not until he starts getting one on his new job as 3D artist in one of the biggest kitchen and bathroom firms in the UK. He has been self employed for several years before he got this job offer but he do have an accountant who takes care of his book and also he have loads of savings account, what my concern is that we want to accomplish my spouse visa application before hubby's birthday in May so I reckon I must apply between March and April but I am worried that his status before as self-employed and not having wage slips may not convince the ECO that my hubby can support me without needing recourse to public funds, when do you think is the best time to apply, shall I wait until another 6 months when he gets wage slips from his new job that is starting this month?

joebloggs
5th February 2012, 11:01
Financial Standing The application must be supported by evidence which demonstrates that the applicant will not become reliant upon public funds. In the normal case, this takes the form of the sponsor/applicant (or co-sponsor) providing:

Salary slips for at least the previous 3 months, preferably the previous 6 months; AND
Bank statements for at least the previous 3 months; AND
The sponsor's (co-sponsor's) employment contract (if the sponsor is not independently wealthy); AND
The sponsor's (co-sponsor's) most recent P60 (in the absence of salary slips).

If the sponsor (co-sponsor) is self-employed, owns his own company, or if the sponsor (co-sponsor) does not work, then the employment contract and P60 can be substituted with certified copies of the previous two years' tax returns accompanied by a notarized version of his business accounts.

If the sponsor (co-sponsor) is retired, then the employment contract and P60 can be substituted with a statement from his pension scheme.

If there are disproportionate deposits and withdrawals in the bank statements, they should be explained in the sponsor's letter.

Consulates are reluctant to accept bank statements printed out from e-banking accounts because these can be so easily forged. Properly headed original statements can usually be obtained by visiting a branch office.

If the financial standing is marginal, and if the applicant has plans to work in the UK, a job offer letter can be included to bolster the application's strength; and failing all other evidence, the applicant may attach a CV (or academic credentials) which demonstrate favorable prospects. Note however, that this is generally the weakest form of evidence.

Terpe
5th February 2012, 11:11
Hi there iamghee,

UKBA will expect evidence that you can maintain yourselves without needing public funds - see the maintenance (funds) page (http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/partners-families/citizens-settled/spouse-cp/can-you-apply/maintenance/)

The Evidence of maintenance page describes the documents that you should submit to prove that you meet this requirement.
Please take a look at the Evidence of maintenance (funds) page (http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/partners-families/citizens-settled/spouse-cp/documents/maintenance) which clearly indicates the type of documents needed.

Bank statements will normally show your income and your outgoing expenditure.
ECO's are not accountants but, if you are generally living within your means and can afford the cost of another adult consumer joining the household, this should be obvious.

There are large numbers of sponsors who are self-employed, so don't woryy about that.
Your husband just needs to supply certified copies of the latest 2 years' tax returns and a notarized version of his business accounts.

Just straight forward documentation really.

My own view is that your application should ideally be submitted before April 2012