PDA

View Full Version : Earthquake

simpleHeart
6th February 2012, 06:25
http://www.philstar.com/nation/article.aspx?publicationsubcategoryid=63&articleid=774948

Just inform all the Filipinoes that had families in Visayas..Everything is Ok..:)

mickcant
6th February 2012, 09:21
5 dead, more missing :NoNo:
Mick

lastlid
6th February 2012, 10:10
Just heard about this from my wife. Her sister lives there - teaches in a primary school there. She has been evacuated to Valencia.

Seemingly affecting Cebu also.

http://www.rappler.com/nation/1322-magnitude-6-8-quake-rocks-central-visayas?utm_source=RapTwitter&utm_medium=Twitter&utm_campaign=SMTrack

She was pretty close to the flooding a few weeks back too!

10.50 am......My wife just got a text from her sister to say that she is okay in Valencia.

daff 'O dill
6th February 2012, 15:05
heard about the news: Earthquake in Central Philippines. To all families who are affected, we pray for you all.

Terpe
6th February 2012, 15:25
Death toll in strong quake rises to 40

At least 40 persons, including a nine-year-old girl, died in Negros Oriental during the 6.9-magnitude earthquake that hit the province and other areas shortly before noon Monday, local authorities here said.

The quake hit 70 kilometers (44 miles) north of the city of Dumaguete on Negros Island at 11:49 am (0349 GMT) at a depth of 46 kilometers, the US Geological Survey said.

The Philippine Institute for Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) measured it as 6.9 at a relatively shallow depth of 10 kilometers, centered off the heavily populated central island province of Negros and Cebu.

Meanwhile, the US Geological Survey website placed the epicenter of the earthquake at 46.6 kilometers deep, some 72 kilometers north of Dumaguete City, 74 km west, northwest of Tagbilaran, Bohol and 80 km west, southwest of Cebu City.

The earthquake was the strongest to be ever felt in Negros Oriental, according to several residents here.

Read more here (http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/140513/death-toll-in-strong-quake-rises-to-40)

lastlid
6th February 2012, 15:45
Yes. The Philipinnes is located on the Pacific Ring of Fire. A highly seismically active and volatile part of the world.

stevie c
6th February 2012, 15:55
This is heartbreaking news :NoNo: What with it happening just after the Flash flooding.

MY deepest sympathy to all those who are affected by this terrible tragedy :doh

Terpe
6th February 2012, 16:00
When we lived in Japan we had earthquake tremors on an almost weekly basis.
Any earthquake is a scary and unsettling event when you feel it. Plenty of ex-pats would tell me you'll get used to it.
To be honest, that's BS no-one ever really gets used to it.
All of my Japanese friends would say the same. There's quite a difference between getting used to it and accepting that it's going to happen.

Japan is very unfortunately located on a very unstable point of the earth's crust as it sits directly on top of three tectonic plates (Pacific, Eurasion and Phillipine Plate's). These are positioned so that when one plate moves the other two get pushed up or down

Where we lived in Yokohama, most of the daily earthquakes were just not big enough to be physically felt, but there are plenty that do get felt and that's when you notice everyone just holding their breath and thinking how to prepared for whatever might happen next. Everyone is mentally attuned to quakes in Japan.

I've experienced earthquakes in many parts of the world, including the 1989 San Francisco earthquake ( 6.9 ) and the Kobe earthquake of 1995 (7.2).

I've never yet experienced one in the Philippines, and hope I never do.
I have no idea what kind of quakes they get, but I can say that no-one ever gets used to them and everyone is scared.

BTW, I've always had a feeling that most of the houses there would do rather well considering the concrete beam construction and amount of rebar they use.

Maria B
6th February 2012, 16:27
For Updates:

http://www.philippinesatbp.com/

:ReadIt:

fred
7th February 2012, 07:14
I was watching the telly and thought someone was trying to move the sofa with me in it! Bloody cheek!
I didnt clock on till I saw the clock rattling about on the wall.. Only lasted 7 seconds.. We had to wait a full 6-1/2 hours to experience the after shock..Another one tonight probably..
Cant wait.:Cuckoo:

lastlid
7th February 2012, 07:56
I was watching the telly and thought someone was trying to move the sofa with me in it! Bloody cheek!
I didnt clock on till I saw the clock rattling about on the wall.. Only lasted 7 seconds.. We had to wait a full 6-1/2 hours to experience the after shock..Another one tonight probably..
Cant wait.:Cuckoo:

The earth move for you, last night?