PDA

View Full Version : Study shorth courses in Scotland

scottishbride
12th February 2012, 14:13
Hello Guys!

As some of you know that I have indefinite leave to remain. I am planning to study and take shorth courses here in Scotland. I have inquire to one of the College nearby our place called Adam Smith College. And spoken to the reception and gave me an information I am taking ECDL courses. She also ask me if I'm below 22,000 annual salary a year. I said, I might be higher than that if my husband and my salary will add. She said, no. It will be base on my salary only. Now, I just want to confirm if this is correct? She gave me a flyers called ILA SCOTLAND that will pay for my courses. Anyone heard about this? Also, I would like to know if this will not affect my citizenship application? I don't want any problems in future. Any advise will be highly appreciated. :Wave:

Arthur Little
12th February 2012, 15:57
:xxgrinning--00xx3: ... good for you, Mel!

"Shorth" ... :Erm: ... do you mean Shorthand by any chance? :rolleyes: It's just that I've never heard of Shorth.

Arthur Little
12th February 2012, 17:15
I am taking ECDL courses. She also ask me if I'm below 22,000 annual salary a year. I said, I might be higher than that if my husband and my salary will add. She said, no. It will be base on my salary only. Now, I just want to confirm if this is correct? She gave me a flyers called ILA SCOTLAND that will pay for my courses. Anyone heard about this? Also, I would like to know if this will not affect my citizenship application? I don't want any problems in future. Any advise will be highly appreciated. :Wave:

:) I know that 'ECDL' is short for 'European Computer Driving Licence' ... and, like the Adam Smith College in Kirkcaldy, Perth College runs these courses at its 'Pathways' Centre. I was sent on one by the local Jobcentre + some 10 years ago, and - because of my early retiral from full time work - it was government funded. So, if your personal earnings fall below the current threshold - as mine did at the time - then I'm sure what the receptionist told you WILL be correct. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Oddly enough, Myrna had been thinking she'd like to enrol for a college course ... but wanted to wait until after March when she becomes eligible to apply for citizenship. Accordingly, some feedback on the question you've raised would be useful to US too. ;)

LeoLady
12th February 2012, 17:34
Hello Guys!

As some of you know that I have indefinite leave to remain. I am planning to study and take shorth courses here in Scotland. I have inquire to one of the College nearby our place called Adam Smith College. And spoken to the reception and gave me an information I am taking ECDL courses. She also ask me if I'm below 22,000 annual salary a year. I said, I might be higher than that if my husband and my salary will add. She said, no. It will be base on my salary only. Now, I just want to confirm if this is correct? She gave me a flyers called ILA SCOTLAND that will pay for my courses. Anyone heard about this? Also, I would like to know if this will not affect my citizenship application? I don't want any problems in future. Any advise will be highly appreciated. :Wave:

Good question LIs. I got a leaflet as well ILA Scotland when i studied IELTS in dundee, it says you can study short courses but i am worried that this might be a public fund and could affect my next ILR visa application.

scottishbride
12th February 2012, 18:03
Good question LIs. I got a leaflet as well ILA Scotland when i studied IELTS in dundee, it says you can study short courses but i am worried that this might be a public fund and could affect my next ILR visa application. I know Ana... I have the application pack already from ILA SCOTLAND. I just don't want to process it yet, as I am not sure.

scottishbride
12th February 2012, 18:06
:) I know that 'ECDL' is short for 'European Computer Driving Licence' ... and, like the Adam Smith College in Kirkcaldy, Perth College runs these courses at its 'Pathways' Centre. I was sent on one by the local Jobcentre + some 10 years ago, and - because of my early retiral from full time work - it was government funded. So, if your personal earnings fall below the current threshold - as mine did at the time - then I'm sure what the receptionist told you WILL be correct. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Oddly enough, Myrna had been thinking she'd like to enrol for a college course ... but wanted to wait until after March when she becomes eligible to apply for citizenship. Accordingly, some feedback on the question you've raised would be useful to US too. ;)

Hello Arthur!

Sorry for the use of word short! :icon_lol::)We normally use the word short courses in my country when it is not a Bachelors degree. Well, I just want to make sure it will not affect my citizenship this year. I will probably put it on hold...:Erm:

Arthur Little
12th February 2012, 18:25
Hello Arthur!

Well sorry for the use of word short! We normally use the word short courses in my country when it is not a Bachelors degree.

Ah ... I see. :thankyou: for your explanation. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
12th February 2012, 18:28
I will probably put it on hold...:Erm:

... maybe no need to :anerikke: - if someone here comes up with an answer.

scottishbride
12th February 2012, 18:34
... maybe no need to :anerikke: - if someone here comes up with an answer. Will have to wait then... Patiently... :):)

Arthur Little
12th February 2012, 18:41
Will have to wait then... Patiently... :):)

... might be worthwhile sending a PM to Terpe. ;)

Terpe
12th February 2012, 21:31
Hello Guys!

You have ILR already. This means you are free to take up benefits and study without any restrictions.
There will be no impact at all on your application for British Citizenship.

joebloggs
12th February 2012, 22:40
You have ILR already. This means you are free to take up benefits and study without any restrictions.

I'm sure the ECDL courses are ok,

http://www.ilascotland.org.uk/What+is+ILA+Scotland/Eligibility.htm

but to pay Home Uni\college fees i think you need to meet the three-year residence requirement on the first day of the first academic year of your course, or you might need to pay international fees.

http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/student/fees_student_support.php

LeoLady
13th February 2012, 15:29
hi terpe may i ask if in case i am pursuing this ILA Scotland as i am holding now as a further leave to remain visa. do you think this will may effect for my ILR application someday? because i am really bored and i need something to do.. waiting for your respond. thanks

scottishbride
13th February 2012, 20:44

Thank you very much Terpe! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

scottishbride
13th February 2012, 20:45
I'm sure the ECDL courses are ok,

but to pay Home Uni\college fees i think you need to meet the three-year residence requirement on the first day of the first academic year of your course, or you might need to pay international fees.

http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/student/fees_student_support.php

Thank you very much Joe! I am now processing my application. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

joebloggs
13th February 2012, 21:40
hi terpe may i ask if in case i am pursuing this ILA Scotland as i am holding now as a further leave to remain visa. do you think this will may effect for my ILR application someday? because i am really bored and i need something to do.. waiting for your respond. thanks

you should give them a call, but i doubt your eligible as

To apply you must be:

- a British citizen;

or

- a national of a member state of the European Economic Area who has utilised their ‘right of residence’;

or

- settled within the United Kingdom within the meaning of section 33(2A) of the Immigration Act 1971. You are only eligible for support if you are "settled within the UK". If you are in Scotland on a temporary student or work visa then you are not entitled to ILA Scotland funding

and

- you must be ordinarily resident* in Scotland.

LeoLady
13th February 2012, 22:11
you should give them a call, but i doubt your eligible as

To apply you must be:

thank you very much for your reply joebloggs.

- a British citizen;

or

- a national of a member state of the European Economic Area who has utilised their ‘right of residence’;

or

- settled within the United Kingdom within the meaning of section 33(2A) of the Immigration Act 1971. You are only eligible for support if you are "settled within the UK". If you are in Scotland on a temporary student or work visa then you are not entitled to ILA Scotland funding

and

- you must be ordinarily resident* in Scotland.

thank you very much joebloggs for your reply. i called them this afternoon and it seems that everything is ok i can get a course with the help of ILA Scotland but i worried for the question on the ILR form about public fund.

joebloggs
13th February 2012, 22:16
from their website, you needed to be settled within the United Kingdom within the meaning of section 33(2A) of the Immigration Act 1971. and from what i can remember that means no restrictions on your stay ie ILR.

so i don't know why they think your eligible, but maybe i'm wrong :doh

scottishbride
14th February 2012, 10:22
from their website, you needed to be settled within the United Kingdom within the meaning of section 33(2A) of the Immigration Act 1971. and from what i can remember that means no restrictions on your stay ie ILR.

so i don't know why they think your eligible, but maybe i'm wrong :doh

Well, I have called them today and found an answer! You were right Joe:rolleyes:. The customer service dude was good. He said that if I don't have restriction to my visa then, I can apply. Because ILA Scotland is considered public funds.

scottishbride
14th February 2012, 10:27
settled within the United Kingdom within the meaning of section 33(2A) of the Immigration Act 1971. :doh

What is Immigration Act 1971 Joe? Just curious.... :Erm:

joebloggs
14th February 2012, 11:57
What is Immigration Act 1971 Joe? Just curious.... :Erm:

you dont want to read that it will put you to sleep :NEW5:

anyway if you have ILR you have the right to public funds, but not in your name if you only have FLR :cwm24:

scottishbride
14th February 2012, 15:48
Thanks Joe! I have ILR already. I already informed Leolady about this, I actually include her to my qurries. She just have to wait until she got her ILR..

LeoLady
14th February 2012, 22:17
Thanks Joe! I have ILR already. I already informed Leolady about this, I actually include her to my qurries. She just have to wait until she got her ILR..

thanks sis. i have no choice but to wait the ILR visa. for the meantime apply NI, bank then find a job

scottishbride
14th February 2012, 23:11
thanks sis. i have no choice but to wait the ILR visa. for the meantime apply NI, bank then find a job

I am sure you will get easily find a job.. This link that might help you to get a job.
http://jobseekers.direct.gov.uk/homepage.aspx?sessionid=b48bbfcb-2204-43ed-b698-13ef2659158c&pid=2 Goodluck! :Wave:

joebloggs
15th February 2012, 08:49

you should phone again leolady and check again, sometimes people will not know, might be possible because your married to a Scot. just mention you have FLR.

LeoLady
15th February 2012, 11:15
you should phone again leolady and check again, sometimes people will not know, might be possible because your married to a Scot. just mention you have FLR.

thanks joebloggs, yes i mentioned i married to a Scot and have a FLR, anyway maybe i'll pursue it when i hold ILR so that everything will be ok and no hassle. thank you very much