PDA

View Full Version : Bank Statement and Balance Certificate???

iamghee
17th February 2012, 14:26
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/834/requirement.jpg/

Does anyone know how to obtain a bank certificate in the UK or if it is similar to bank statement at least?

I know we need to contact the bank about it but my husband said Bank Certificate is usually being sent sometime in April. Has anyone requested it before in the UK.

Please advise. Thank you

lastlid
17th February 2012, 14:32
I dont know about "bank / balance certificates". I don't think I have ever had one. But bank statements yes. Bank statements can be asked for at anytime although they are often distributed on a regular basis every month or every quarter automatically by post. I got my bank (Nationwide) to send me 6 months worth of backdated statements which I then got stamped and signed for authenticity at my local branch.

I am also with Natwest and they send me a statement every month automatically.

Everyones circumstances are different but I cant see a need to wait till April for banks statements (unless waiting for a certain amount of time to elapse?). Maybe a couple of weeks....it took me about 2 weeks to get the bank statements requisitioned and delivered in the post then authenticated at my local branch.

John_10
17th February 2012, 14:53
Hi lastlid, Is it need to have an authenticated bank statement?

lastlid
17th February 2012, 14:56

If the statements are originals then definitely no. Mine were effectively copies issued from my banks head office. I was advised to get them authenticated....it was free...just a question of popping down to the bank.

Some have succeeded in their application despite sending in photocopies of everything, but as Terpe points out, the UKBA do state that originals are required.

You must be near to making your application now?

lastlid
17th February 2012, 14:58
You might ask why did the bank not send them out ready authenticated and the answer is that I dont know :icon_lol:. I seem to recall having a lengthy discussion with them about it and they said that there is normally never a need. But the next step was easy enough. Actually it was a pain in the butt as I had a 1 hour drive roundtrip to get them done.

Terpe
17th February 2012, 15:11
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/834/requirement.jpg/

Does anyone know how to obtain a bank certificate in the UK or if it is similar to bank statement at least?

I know we need to contact the bank about it but my husband said Bank Certificate is usually being sent sometime in April. Has anyone requested it before in the UK.

Please advise. Thank you

Why do you need a bank certificate?
Who is asking specifically for a bank certificate?
If you are thinking about a visa application then it's only bank statements that are needed for the UKBA. Unless the sponsor is self-employed then other documents are needed.

Bank certificates are not that often used.

The UKBA say that:-
"We will not accept letters that simply show the balance in the account on a particular day, as these documents do not show that there are consistent funds to meet the maintenance requirement."

I think a bank certificate is a document showing the balance in the account on a particular day, so should not be submitted to UKBA as financial evidence.

Terpe
17th February 2012, 15:17

UKBA do state that:-

"All supporting documents must be originals, not copies."

Also:-

Every personal bank or building society statement should clearly show:
your name or your sponsor's name
the account number
the date of the statement
the financial institution's name and logo
transactions covering the recent period
that there are enough funds present in the account to support a dependent partner and any dependent children

If you want to send electronic bank statements from an online account, these must contain all of the details listed above. You will also need to send a supporting letter from your bank, on headed paper, confirming that the statements are genuine. Alternatively, electronic bank statements with the official stamp of the bank that issued the statements will be accepted. The stamp must appear on every page of the statement.

We will not accept statements that simply show the balance in the account on a particular day, as these documents do not show that there are consistent funds to meet the maintenance requirement.

As lastlid said some people have only submitted scanned copies without issue.
It's a personal choice, but if you want to minimise risk and a shed load of money it's better to follow the rules.

lastlid
17th February 2012, 15:19
The stamp must appear on every page of the statement.

I did just that. Took the girl at the bank about 10 minutes.

Terpe
17th February 2012, 15:21
I did just that. Took the girl at the bank about 10 minutes.

Can't do enough for a good customer :D

imagine
17th February 2012, 16:48
the bank certificate you get once per year is only to show the interest and tax balance, at the end of the financial tax year, there not any use for visa applications, the only time i realy needed these was for my tax return when i was self employed

iamghee
17th February 2012, 18:58
Why do you need a bank certificate?
Who is asking specifically for a bank certificate?
If you are thinking about a visa application then it's only bank statements that are needed for the UKBA. Unless the sponsor is self-employed then other documents are needed.

Bank certificates are not that often used.

The UKBA say that:-
"We will not accept letters that simply show the balance in the account on a particular day, as these documents do not show that there are consistent funds to meet the maintenance requirement."

I think a bank certificate is a document showing the balance in the account on a particular day, so should not be submitted to UKBA as financial evidence.

Thanks terpe. My husband was self employed and just starting with a new job right now, he is in the job for 2weeks now. Anyway, to be quite honest the UKBA's checklist is so tricky, if you will go thru their checklist, it says they need a bank statement and bank letter or balance certificate (showing the account balance, the account holder's name and the date when it was opened) whilst the bank statement (only shows what has been paid in and out). I am totally confused. My husband has already organized his bank statements for the last 6 months and I rushed him to call his bank to request for a bank letter or balance certificate as when I went to see the checklist earlier, I realized we still don't have that yet but according to him it is sent automatically every APRIL. Now, I am confused if it is needed or what :)

Have a look on the screenshot below.

http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/5987/requirement.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/834/requirement.jpg/) Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

cessxy
17th February 2012, 19:13
hi iamghee, you husband can call his bank and ask for a confirmation bank letter. And it will send that to him. In a Bank letter or balance certificate it is stated there your husband acct number and balances as of day he request for that, and in the letter they will confirm as well when did your husband open his acct with a bank stamp on it :)

Terpe
17th February 2012, 19:43
hi iamghee, you husband can call his bank and ask for a confirmation bank letter. And it will send that to him. In a Bank letter or balance certificate it is stated there your husband acct number and balances as of day he request for that, and in the letter they will confirm as well when did your husband open his acct with a bank stamp on it :)

The UKBA state that they will not accept that.

Terpe
17th February 2012, 19:46
iamghee,

What visa are you applying for?

iamghee
17th February 2012, 20:03
iamghee,

What visa are you applying for?

Spouse Visa Terpe. You said the UKBA will not accept it earlier, I am not sure if I get this right, so should I not bother asking my husband to get one?

iamghee
17th February 2012, 20:05

If they will not accept it, why did they put it on the checklist in the first place? what I'm planning to do is get my husband to call the bank and get those balance certificate or bank letter then submit the bank statements as well which he gets every month.

cessxy
17th February 2012, 20:24

Hi terpe, I submit a bank letter before when i apply my spouse visa:)

Terpe
17th February 2012, 20:48
Hi terpe, I submit a bank letter before when i apply my spouse visa:)

I'm only highlighting what it states on the UKBA webpage about letters that simply show the balance.

It's here right at the bottom of the page (http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/partners-families/citizens-settled/spouse-cp/documents/maintenance)

Whatever evidence is submitted is always a personal choice.

Terpe
17th February 2012, 20:49
If they will not accept it, why did they put it on the checklist in the first place? what I'm planning to do is get my husband to call the bank and get those balance certificate or bank letter then submit the bank statements as well which he gets every month.

That's not meant to be used specifically as a checklist, it's really a handy generic information guide covering a broad range of possibilities.

Here's what it states on the front of that form:-

You should read this information guide to help you decide which documents may be useful in supporting the statements that you have made on your visa application form.

It is not a list of documents that you must submit. We do not expect you to provide all of the documents listed below; it is for you to decide which documents are most relevant to your application.

The submission of all or any of these documents does not guarantee that your application will be successful.

Coming back to your original question, the key issue with finance is to submit evidence that you can maintain yourselves and any dependants adequately without needing public funds - see the maintenance (funds) page (http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/partners-families/citizens-settled/spouse-cp/can-you-apply/maintenance/)
You and your partner must demonstrate that you can cover your living expenses in the UK.

The UKBA evidence of maintenance page describes the documents that you should submit to prove that you meet this requirement.
Please take a look at the Evidence of maintenance (funds) page (http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/partners-families/citizens-settled/spouse-cp/documents/maintenance) which clearly indicates the type of documents needed.

There really isn't any actual amount stated in the 'immigration rules' that indicate just how much is considered as 'sufficient'. It's up to the sponsor and applicant to prove there is sufficient for them to maintain themselves.

Bank statements will normally show the income and the outgoing expenditure. ECO's are not accountants but, if you are generally living within your means and can afford the cost of another adult consumer joining the household, this should be immediately obvious.

The visa application must be supported by evidence that proves the applicant will not require public funds. Generally this takes the form of the sponsor providing:-

Bank Statements covering at least 3 months (preferably 6 months)

Salary slips for at least the previous 3 months.(preferably 6 months)

The sponsor's employment contract or as in most cases just a letter from the employer will normally be OK.
The sponsor's most recent P60 may also be useful evidence.

If the sponsor is self-employed or owns his own company, then certified copies of the previous 2 years' tax returns together with a notarized version of the business accounts.

The UKBA page specifically for Spouse's and Civil Partners is here (http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/partners-families/citizens-settled/spouse-cp)

It's well worth taking a look and checking out the links provided.

As a next step see the UKBA information at How do we apply for a UK Spouse Visa (in the Philippines)? (http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/countries/philippines/applying/?langname=UK English)

I'm not trying to confuse you, just trying to help. Please review those links I gave.

My final advice is to suggest that the application be submitted before April if that's easily possible. I suggest that only because there is a chance of some major changes to financials being implemented then.

Good luck.

iamghee
17th February 2012, 21:03
Thanks Terpe, I see your point now, it was lengthy but very useful. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

andy222
17th February 2012, 22:17
How much do you have to show on your bank statements guys?

lastlid
18th February 2012, 08:48
I think one thing I have learnt with all of this is that there isn't a totally one size fits all way of applying and also it can very much depend on personal circumstances too. I think I put in another post this week that we never did really use the checklist, it was printed off almost as an afterthought and went in with the application. My wife never did follow the order in the checklist although the paperwork was organised in a user friendly and logical way. Why didn't we bother with the checklist? Because a) there did appear to be contradictions and idiosynchrosies with it, b] it is only a guide and c] we used a qualified approved Immigration Advisor who never mentioned it until final submission and simply said that they had only drawn our attention to it for completeness, and not to worry about it.

John_10
18th February 2012, 15:06
thanks guys for more info..very much appreciated...yes lastlid, soon im going to lodge my visa app.