PDA

View Full Version : Provisional Drivers Licence help

ynwa
20th February 2012, 19:22
I wanted to apply for a licence but my passport and biometrics are not yet change to my married name but most of my papers here like NI, GP, Bank, payslip are on my married name.
Can I apply using my married name on it or they will based it on my passport and biometrics?
Thanks for helping. xxx

Terpe
20th February 2012, 19:36
If I recall correctly, my wife had to send off her passport to DVLC. They took quite a long time, I think about 6 weeks. I remember try to speed up the process.

I'm not sure what the latest system is or how long it takes.

Maybe some info here:-
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/NeedANewOrUpdatedLicence/DG_10012514

Good Luck

ynwa
20th February 2012, 19:43
Thanks Terpe for the info.

malditako
21st February 2012, 09:04
perhaps you can use your married name by submitting your marriage contract together with your passport. Took me less than two weeks to get mine.

ynwa
21st February 2012, 19:18
I was thinking that gparry. Did you apply by post or online?

scottishbride
21st February 2012, 19:57
When I used my married name for UK driving licence I have enclosed my passport and orginal marriage certificate to prove that I am the same person... I have also enclosed a speacial delivery envelope as I want my passport and marriage cert. safely and back to me. Hope this will help!

ynwa
25th February 2012, 10:13
thanks for the clarity scottishbride.
Would you mind if I ask the step by step procedures you did as we are in the same boat.
Thanks

malditako
25th February 2012, 10:14
I was thinking that gparry. Did you apply by post or online?

by post :)

scottishbride
25th February 2012, 11:35
thanks for the clarity scottishbride.
Would you mind if I ask the step by step procedures you did as we are in the same boat.
Thanks

Here is my situation when I have my provisional drivers licence I have used my single name but when I passed my theory and practical exams I have changed it to my married name. Here's what I did.

Get the application forms at the post office
Buy a special delivery envelope so when they return your documents you can track it and it will be safe and fast. ( It is all entirely up to you.. normally they can mail your docs. back on 2nd class mail)
Enclose it to the application forms the speacial delivery envelop ( Pls. note you have to fill up the envelop with your add.)
Fill up your application forms and enclose your passport and married cert. original. also you need to enclosed a cheque for payments..not sure if you can pay by card. Just look at the application forms. what is the mode of payment. I also put covering letter saying I want to use my married name etc. etc..

Then, mail it!

I think that's it! You need to wait.. and they will process it. Normally it will take about 2-3 weeks and so.. depends.. Hope this will help.. If you have any question they have a numbers on the application forms. Goodluck!

ynwa
26th February 2012, 08:59
thanks scottish bride you're a gem.
I will do what you did. Let you know of the updates when I get results.
Take care and have a lovely weekend

rusty
26th February 2012, 10:30
When we recently applied for my wife, I filled the application online, they sent the completed form for her to sign which we sent back with her passport. After a few weeks we received her licence then in another letter, her passport.