PDA

View Full Version : Bank statements for visitor visa sponsor thing - regarding overdrafts?

Iani
25th February 2012, 23:38
Hi there

I'm wondering if anyone can offer any advice.

Basically, I'm hoping my girlfriend could maybe come visit for a month or so in August - I put the story on a different thread. I originally thought it wouldn't be worth applying for a visitor visa, but with advice on here, thought why not apply anyway - might be a chance and all that.

It's the usual sort of thing. Her employer will I know send a letter stating her employment contract is there, she has savings of her own, owns property back in the old country - although she actually works abroad at the moment in the middle east. Possible she might get a visa approved? Well, who knows.

What though I am wondering is - if I was to put myself as sponsor (Which would be essential really), how much would it matter that I have overdrafts stretching into last year.

For some weird reason, I thought they would want to see bank statements for the last 3 months - so we weren't going to apply for a visa until April, but now I realise that I am of course mistaken, and it's 6 months they would ask for. Bummer!

The thing is, it's not like I was living beyond my means or anything. Quite simply, my bank gives me a free overdraft, so I used to just let it go over towards the end of the month, and I left savings in a higher interest account. I actually have savings of over £5000 - which against an overdrawn limit sometimes of £27 is a bit meh, but rules are rules aren't they?

I obviously now am looking after my bank account a bit better, so it never goes overdrawn (And as I said, I only ever let it because it was free and the interest was better in my account than theirs ;) ).

What does anyone think? Would we be best not applying now until say June (So I can have 6 months good accounts), or would they say not care since I can show in the same bank and another, I had savings in a cash isa and in a monthly savings account way beyond any overdrawn total?

Thanks anyway

tone
26th February 2012, 01:02
If you can show the account with the savings in, over the same period you had the overdraft and explain the reason why you went O/D I would expect the ECO would see some sense.
As you may be aware you just have to prove she will return at the end of the holiday, and just having a flight back isn't enough.

Get all your docs in place and allow a bit longe because the Olympics are tking the Immigration dept up quite a bit now so it may be prudent to consider that.

Good luck with it.

Tone

Arthur Little
26th February 2012, 01:27
Visitor Visas are a bit dicey at the best of times ... and when matters are complicated by overdrafts - however small - I'd say it'd most likely be a :nono-1-1: until your finances are straightened out. Sorry!

Stephen550
26th February 2012, 03:40
I should not worry to much about your situatuon, my gf recently had her application approved for a six month visit to the uk, this was approved in 7 days, she does not own land or property, she has no savings and does not work,,,, IT IS POSSIBLE,,, in our application the only reference I made to her returning at the end of her stay was,,, I said I would ensure she returned on the given date to enable future applications to be made. As far as your bank statements are concerned, I was in a simular position although not overdrawn in my current account, I had a large amount of money in my account and over a period of 6 months this was spent on refitting my boat, I did have money in my deposite accounts and the interest is paid into my current account, I included a letter explaining why my current account became depleted, also instead of sending statements for six months I sent statements covering 12 months, I am retired and to young to receive pension payments, my income is the interest on my money deposited, if you are working and have a regular income with savings I should not be to concerned about your current account. When you submit your letter explaining the expenditure in your current keep it short and to the point, don't get to complicated, explain your spending, eg house repairs ect are now complete and your salary will now be replenishing your account. The cost of applying for a general visa is not too expensive , give it a go. The important thing is to supply plenty of relevent information, my folder consisted of about 50 pages and my gf added about 10 to this. My gf is on the forum, Ann1984, she posted a copy of our contents list which was submitted with our application, this may help you.
Good luck with your application.

aronbabev
26th February 2012, 07:55
Agree with you Stephen like my husband said in his letter.he is honest and specific..I didn't submitted his bank statement but his payslip look unhealthy since he had a problem in License points ..but i had P60.

Arthur Little
26th February 2012, 08:53
I'd say it'd most likely be a :nono-1-1: until your finances are straightened out. Sorry!

Well ... :anerikke: ... others evidently don't share my viewpoint. At the end of the day it's your choice and, as has been said, the cost is not too exhorbitant. :NoNo: Whatever you decide, I wish you the best of luck. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Iani
26th February 2012, 10:25
Thanks guys, might just leave it for now then. Then again, visitor visas seem to be a bit of a hit and miss thing anyway...hmm

Silly question maybe, but when they ask for bank statements - is it definately the current account they want to see? If I was to send in statements for my savings accounts only, would they accept that?

Yes yes, ok it's worth an ask :icon_lol:

rusty
26th February 2012, 10:36
They want to see that your are able to support yourself and your girlfriend during her visit. The savings will help to show you have funds available, by showing your current account they can see the money going in and out to see that you are not living above your means.

I would say that as your girlfriend have travel history and is working abroad, as long as she has not had any problems with her travel history, this should be taken into account when applying for a visit visa. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
26th February 2012, 10:51
Iani,
It's true that the visitor visa has somewhat different approval criteria to other visa's. But don't get too hung up on that. I'm sure you know that the overall objective from UKBA is to prevent people entering UK who have no intention of leaving, and every intention of staying as an illegal immigrant.
Applications for a visitor visa needs to have the objective of the proving the opposite. That can be done in a number of ways.

My advice is to always apply and to submit the most convincing application you can do. The risk in terms cost is very small (I think around £76).

From the information you have divulged I wouldn't see any problems.

joebloggs
26th February 2012, 11:26
From the information you have divulged I wouldn't see any problems.

but they are a lottery, just don't expect one, but it would be a nice surprise if you get one :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
26th February 2012, 11:41
but they are a lottery, just don't expect one, but it would be a nice surprise if you get one :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Yes, it can be seen as a 'lottery'. Mainly due to the fact that the ECO is not following a strict protocol, the decision is totally discretionary depending on what the individual ECO believes about the individual application (rightly or wrongly).
Although there is no appeal route against any refusal, the cost is very low