PDA

View Full Version : Will my family's disapproval affect my application?

fluentlee
7th March 2012, 05:02
Hi everyone

I won't really get into details, since it's very personal, but I want to ask this before I start my application.

I just got engaged. However my family isn't exactly okay with it. I'm 28 years old, and my fiance is 30 and from Devon. He was here in the Philippines just recently and even met my family, but anyway, they're not really okay with it thus we had to keep the engagement from them.

I wish to continue to keep it from my family because I know for a fact that if they find out, they'll do everything in their power to stop me.

So my questions are:

1) Do I need my family's approval/permission to apply for a fiance visa? Will it affect my application in any way?

2) Will UKBA contact any of my family members? Will they be notified about my application in any way?

3) Should I write a letter to UKBA informing them about my situation and tell them that I wish to keep it from my family? Or will that just risk my application?

I'm really worried about all this, but all I can say is I've never really gotten along with my family, and my fiance knows all about my struggles with them, and if anything, he's been my knight in shining armor comforting and helping me through it all. I now have a shot in true happiness and I won't allow anything or anyone, especially my family to stand in the way.

Looking forward to your responses.

Lee

myliitlehaven07
7th March 2012, 06:29
Hi, Lee,

I am sorry to hear about your troubles with your family. I had the same issue before althought my parents are not really GOING TO DO ANYTHING to stop my plan of getting married but nonetheless, me and my husband had pursued our wedding without their knowledge or permission SINCE I AM OF LEGAL AGE. I invited them a day before the wedding and it turned out well. For whatever reasons you family against your plan, you are of legal age already and I don't think you will have a problem with your fiance application. The church wherever you are planning to get married won't be asking of your parents letter of approval or their presence neither will the UKBA contact your family unless YOU MENTION it. I am not sure though I am sure there will be more pro here who have the same experience you did , might as well wait for more responses on your thread

This is just my opinion, if your parents are really against your relationship and your ready to really get married and take all the risk for your mr. right, and your ready to accept whatever will the outcome of your decision then get married. It be better if you get married here like I did. I done it secretly :omg:

fluentlee
7th March 2012, 06:48
Thanks for your response, do you live in the UK now?

It be better if you get married here like I did. I done it secretly :omg:

I was actually thinking of getting married in the UK that way they really can't do anything about it. Then maybe when things are calmer and better, we can have another wedding in the Philippines.

Why do you think marrying in the Philippines is better if I may ask? Also, did you family go to your wedding? How did they react?

Sorry if I have many questions, I'm just really worried about what might happen, that's all =\

Lee

myliitlehaven07
7th March 2012, 07:02
I dont mind you asking questions if its best way to help you.

My parents we're just so disappointed because I BROKE MY VALUES, you know what is like when it comes to morality in the Philippines but when i told them a day before the wedding, as it does not feels right to be getting married without them, they showed up and somewhat relieved that their innocent MANANG daughter is married. ( marriage did the trick )

If you go read through the many threads here you would see the difference between a spousal and fiance visa. If i was on your shoes, i will take all the troubles of telling my parents about it whatever the outcome will be, if you dont find support off them then do what you plan.

Terpe
7th March 2012, 08:41
Hi everyone

I won't really get into details, since it's very personal, but I want to ask this before I start my application.

I just got engaged. However my family isn't exactly okay with it. I'm 28 years old, and my fiance is 30 and from Devon. He was here in the Philippines just recently and even met my family, but anyway, they're not really okay with it thus we had to keep the engagement from them.

I wish to continue to keep it from my family because I know for a fact that if they find out, they'll do everything in their power to stop me.

So my questions are:

1) Do I need my family's approval/permission to apply for a fiance visa? Will it affect my application in any way?

2) Will UKBA contact any of my family members? Will they be notified about my application in any way?

3) Should I write a letter to UKBA informing them about my situation and tell them that I wish to keep it from my family? Or will that just risk my application?

I'm really worried about all this, but all I can say is I've never really gotten along with my family, and my fiance knows all about my struggles with them, and if anything, he's been my knight in shining armor comforting and helping me through it all. I now have a shot in true happiness and I won't allow anything or anyone, especially my family to stand in the way.

Looking forward to your responses.

Lee

Just to answer your questions:-

1. No you don't.

2. No. Not for settlement visa.

3. No. There's really no need to do it. In the worst case scenario it might just cause the ECO to feel insecure if the relationship is really genuine.

grahamw48
7th March 2012, 13:50
You're an independent adult and your life is your own. :)

I didn't tell my parents that I was getting married (because of prejudices shown by them previously).

I married in the Phils, brought the ex home and introduced her to them (ie....'hello, meet the wife' :D).

They were totally accepting of her and welcomed her....and later her children, into the family. :)

fluentlee
7th March 2012, 14:45
Just to answer your questions:-

1. No you don't.

2. No. Not for settlement visa.

3. No. There's really no need to do it. In the worst case scenario it might just cause the ECO to feel insecure if the relationship is really genuine.

You said not for settlement visa, but how about for fiance visa?

And yea you're right, I should probably not mention it at all to ECO just to be safe.

Lee

Terpe
7th March 2012, 14:59
........ but how about for fiance visa? ....

Fiance(e) visa is a settlement visa :xxgrinning--00xx3:

So no worries there Lee.

I was thinking more along the lines of a General Visit Visa where your parents might be more likely to become involved

grahamw48
7th March 2012, 15:02
You said not for settlement visa, but how about for fiance visa?

And yea you're right, I should probably not mention it at all to ECO just to be safe.

Lee

Sometimes it's best just to give them the information they ask for...and not to complicate things. ;)

Terpe
7th March 2012, 15:12
Sometimes it's best just to give them the information they ask for...and not to complicate things. ;)

Exactly, don't give information they don't need, don't ask for and that doesn't in any way support the application.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

fluentlee
8th March 2012, 22:58
Fiance(e) visa is a settlement visa :xxgrinning--00xx3:

So no worries there Lee.

I was thinking more along the lines of a General Visit Visa where your parents might be more likely to become involved

Oh no! My fiance and I had a long talk, and he thinks going to England for the first time would be better if I were on a generals visit visa, that way, no pressure. And then if things go well, he will come back to the Philippines with me so we can work on getting married.

Now I'm worried, coz you said my parents might me more likely to become involved if I apply for a general visit visa. Can you please tell me what you meant by that?

TIA!

Lee