PDA

View Full Version : Ruby Wax meets Imelda Marcos on BBC 4 at 11pm tonight

South-east boy
13th March 2012, 23:09
Just in case you might want to watch this! Was filmed back in 1996, 5 years after she returned following the ban against her.

*Edit-Title should read 'Imelda', not ielda! Lol! Not able to edit the title!

lastlid
13th March 2012, 23:12
Nice tip. Thanks.

tanga
14th March 2012, 06:08
Bumped into her a few years ago literally, with her bodyguards the men in black...in a shoe shop in Glorietta mall, Makati
Noticed shes very tall...she wasn't even standing on her money

Is this the episode with Ruby Wax when she sings?

I was at NAIA in November 1991 when she returned from exile

lastlid
14th March 2012, 07:47
Bumped into her a few years ago literally, with her bodyguards the men in black...in a shoe shop in Glorietta mall, Makati
Noticed shes very tall...she wasn't even standing on her money

Is this the episode with Ruby Wax when she sings?

I was at NAIA in November 1991 when she returned from exile

Watched it.

Yes. That is the one, when she sings and Ruby takes the urine out of her. I watched a lot of Ruby Wax when she was on the beeb but I dont recall the interview with Imelda ( I didnt have a special interest in the Philippines, then, that I have now). Yes. She came across as tall in the program but then Ruby Wax is short.

joebloggs
14th March 2012, 08:23
supposed quotes by Imelda :NoNo:

Filipinos want beauty. I have to look beautiful so that the poor Filipinos will have a star to look at from their slums.

I get so tired listening to one million dollars here, one million dollars there, it's so petty.

If you know how rich you are, you are not rich. But me, I am not aware of the extent of my wealth. That's how rich we are.

Never dress down for the poor. They won't respect you for it. They want their First Lady to look like a million dollars.

People say I'm extravagant because I want to be surrounded by beauty. But tell me, who wants to be surrounded by garbage?

lastlid
14th March 2012, 11:40
My wife explained to me that she describes ,in Tagalog, Ruby as a machine gun with her questions.....I dont think she was comfortable with Ruby.....

grahamw48
14th March 2012, 11:58
I've seen the programme before....and read the book 'Imelda'.

I'm afraid the woman and her cronies disgust me.

raynaputi
14th March 2012, 12:05
I have a friend who's related to the Marcos family, and she told me that most of them do not really like Imelda and blamed her for what happened to Ferdinand Marcos..:NoNo:

sars_notd_virus
14th March 2012, 12:06
DfwwikuMJ-E

she's like a 'Marmite''...love her or hate her...but i like her,...I'm a Martial Law baby and can say that during those times Philippines is much better than it is today;)

grahamw48
14th March 2012, 12:12
A lot of expats have told me the same....better for SOME people.

It's the flaunting of such wealth and extravagance in a country of such grinding poverty that I find totally unacceptable. :NoNo:

lastlid
14th March 2012, 12:15
A lot of expats have told me the same....better for SOME people.

It's the flaunting of such wealth and extravagance in a country of such grinding poverty that I find totally unacceptable. :NoNo:
Well said.

lastlid
14th March 2012, 12:23
supposed quotes by Imelda :NoNo:

Filipinos want beauty. I have to look beautiful so that the poor Filipinos will have a star to look at from their slums.

I get so tired listening to one million dollars here, one million dollars there, it's so petty.

If you know how rich you are, you are not rich. But me, I am not aware of the extent of my wealth. That's how rich we are.

Never dress down for the poor. They won't respect you for it. They want their First Lady to look like a million dollars.

People say I'm extravagant because I want to be surrounded by beauty. But tell me, who wants to be surrounded by garbage?
I notice you say "supposed quotes". Did she actually say them?

I also noticed Ruby trying to entice her to say something like that......

"Let them eat cake she said, just like Marie Antoinette" - oh thats Queen, wrong thread.....

stevie c
14th March 2012, 12:52
Thanks should be interesting viewing :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
14th March 2012, 13:06
My wife explained to me that she describes ,in Tagalog, Ruby as a machine gun with her questions .....I dont think she was comfortable with Ruby.....

... :iagree: ... that's the impression I got! Ruby Wax was being a pain in the :butthead: and, frankly, I'm surprised the former First Lady managed the good grace to put up with her interviewer's inane barrage of questions, mannerisms and facial expressions ... :fairedesgrimaces:

Arthur Little
14th March 2012, 13:30
... love her or loathe her ... it [I] would've been nice to have had the chance to listen to what SHE had to say - without the constant, noisy interruptions ... :blahblah::blahblah::blahblah::blahblah:

tanga
14th March 2012, 18:02
Watched an interview on BBC world a few months ago. Cant remember the title but it was a travel programe I think. She took the interviewer round her condo in The Fort pointing out her collection of Cezane, Pizaro, paintings hanging on the wall and showed some documents relating to the Marcos wealth but snatched them back when they tried to film the contents
She was also interviewed on Hidden Cities of Asia recently on Nat Geo channel
http://chuvaness.com/tag/imelda-marcos/

lastlid
14th March 2012, 18:39
Watched an interview on BBC world a few months ago. Cant remember the title but it was a travel programe I think. She took the interviewer round her condo in The Fort pointing out her collection of Cezane, Pizaro, paintings hanging on the wall and showed some documents relating to the Marcos wealth but snatched them back when they tried to film the contents
She was also interviewed on Hidden Cities of Asia recently on Nat Geo channel
http://chuvaness.com/tag/imelda-marcos/

Yes. Makes you wonder where most of the stolen art ends up....

malditako
14th March 2012, 19:53
i like her...she stands for what she really believes....unlike other politician being two faced! Many may find her quotes unacceptable but in reality its true as woman we always wanted to be glam and beautiful and she is no exception...

lastlid
14th March 2012, 20:13
Not just about her shoes. More of an insight into Imelda.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcUXtb1uQ8Q

tanga
15th March 2012, 02:49
i like her...she stands for what she really believes....unlike other politician being two faced! Many may find her quotes unacceptable but in reality its true as woman we always wanted to be glam and beautiful and she is no exception...

Dont get me going gparry2007

Imelda cried her eyes out on Tv saying she is broke and living on her late hubands pension of $90 a week.
This was just before her "modest" birthday party at the Sofitel and just after she moved into her large
penthouse condominium in The Fort,with old masters adorning the walls and from where she holds court
to any journalist and tv crew that will give her airtime

She makes well publicised shopping trips to Binondo and Divisoria with her security entourage to show how
she advocates the plight of the poor. This is after a lifetime of jetting round the world to shop in the most affluent
and exclusive stores.

She totally fails to recognise the human rights abuses, the torture and enforced disappearances during the Marcos
era. Her interpretation of greed has be seen to be believed
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6jgabWYPHo

grahamw48
15th March 2012, 11:12
I agree.

She is an abomination, and represents all that is wrong with the Philippine ruling classes.:angry:

malditako
16th March 2012, 13:17

Dont get me going gparry2007

Imelda cried her eyes out on Tv saying she is broke and living on her late hubands pension of $90 a week.
This was just before her "modest" birthday party at the Sofitel and just after she moved into her large
penthouse condominium in The Fort,with old masters adorning the walls and from where she holds court
to any journalist and tv crew that will give her airtime

She makes well publicised shopping trips to Binondo and Divisoria with her security entourage to show how
she advocates the plight of the poor. This is after a lifetime of jetting round the world to shop in the most affluent
and exclusive stores.

She totally fails to recognise the human rights abuses, the torture and enforced disappearances during the Marcos
era. Her interpretation of greed has be seen to be believed
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6jgabWYPHo

whats the connection of her going to divisoria and living on her husbands pension about her being glam and fab. ( Joebloggs quote)
Tanga go as u wish...you've got ur opinion and so do i . AMEN!

fred
16th March 2012, 16:46
I wonder how many executions she personally ordered during martial law amongst the other 1000`s that were tortured raped and murdered on their behalf?
Its a shame that this bitch believes in Heaven as I believe she will go straight to hell!:cwm23:
Along with her beloved..

tanga
17th March 2012, 05:41

What does Imelda stand for other than Imelda?
She champions the plight of the poor whilst living in opulence
Her extravagances are well documented
Does she think the life of the poor will be enhanced by her as role model?
She is just another Marie Antoinette from the same stable as Ceausescu,
Papa Doc,Mobuto, Abacha etc
She is no Mother Theresa.
It is the ill-informed masses from the most vulnerable segments of society that support the Imeldas of this world and vote action movie stars into office in the belief that it will improve their life.
In reality it can have the opposite effect.

gparry2007.You can disagree but that's my opinion. Amen

lastlid
17th March 2012, 10:41
The problem with the TV program is that you are left not being sure if it is a case of Ruby Wax just mischief making and Imelda is a true lady, or whether there is truth in all of the rumoured quotes...

malditako
17th March 2012, 15:57
The problem with the TV program is that you are left not being sure if it is a case of Ruby Wax just mischief making and Imelda is a true lady, or whether there is truth in all of the rumoured quotes...

true!!! all are just hear say until proven guilty!!!......i myself is a martial law baby..grew up under marcos regime and all i can say is life was good back then.

fred
17th March 2012, 17:36
true!!! all are just hear say until proven guilty!!!......i myself is a martial law baby..grew up under marcos regime and all i can say is life was good back then.

I was here as a teenager back then and was often warned by those older than me to keep my mouth shut as the questions I asked were dangerous daw..
I was here until the revolution arrived and have often since thought myself lucky to have survived those dark days..
For those that died at their bequest I have nothing but pity and sympathy..
For those that lived through those times in ignorance..I feel pity also.
At last... I live here in peace.

tanga
18th March 2012, 12:34

I have encountered many intelligent and professional people in Philippines who say that they preferred life under Ferdinand Marcos. The corruption was less widespread, mainly centered round Marcos and his cronies in those days and the country was certainly a lot safer(as long as you did not p**s off the president) KFR groups and violent criminals had a fear of the law and violence against women was dealt with harshly. Death penalty was still on the statute.

However,I have to say that i have met few people that can say anything good about Imelda. Many believe that she was the cause of her husband's downfall and were disgusted by her flagrant flaunting of wealth and opulence whilst many suffered.

My wife grew up in the dark days of martial law and detests vehemently everything about the Marcoses.
Freedom was restricted,there was nightly curfew and merely gathering in a group in a public place was an offence. Even young women were required to do military training.

But to some Life was good back then

History will judge the Marcoses but I feel the epitaph will not be kind

lastlid
18th March 2012, 14:40
Yes. Some people quite liked the Gaddafi years in Libya but.....

fred
19th March 2012, 13:14
Freedom was restricted,there was nightly curfew

The reason most women preferred martial law, particularly those married to wealthy men was because the men had to be home early which meant they could spent less time with their mistresses.:icon_lol:

No joke.:NoNo:

Doc Alan
19th March 2012, 14:51
An interesting range of opinions about Imelda Marcos ! Now 82, she’s best known outside the Philippines for her shoe collection, but – if nothing else – she’s a survivor. Having held various political positions during her husband’s time in power, she was elected two years ago as a Member of the House of Representatives for Ilocos Norte.
For the record, Martial law has been declared three times in the Philippines :
• President Jose Laurel of the Second Philippine Republic ( “ puppet government “ under Japan) placed the country under martial law in 1944.
• It was under martial law again from 1972 - 1981 under President Marcos. This was declared “ to suppress increasing civil strife and the threat of communist takeover following a series of bombings “ - and a government-staged assassination attempt on Defense Minister Enrile. The declaration was well-received in some sectors, at least initially. During my visits ( http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php/36697-Manila-in-the-1970-s-old-photos-new-technology ) there was little evidence of restrictions or curfew enforcement. This partly reflected where I visited and the people I met ( doctors, nurses, and medical students ). It was still possible for locals and visitors – including me - to go partying and clubbing until the early hours of the morning. Of course it did eventually prove unpopular, as excesses and human rights abuses by the military emerged. The People Power Revolution of 1986 took place because of the many violated rights and abuse of authority by Marcos, his family and cronies. He died in exile in Hawaii three years later.
• In 2009, President Macapagal-Arroyo placed Maguindanao province under martial law, after the Ampatuan family had been implicated in the massacre of 57 persons, including women members of the rival Mangudadatu clan, human rights lawyers, and media workers, in the worst incident of political violence in the nation's history.

tanga
19th March 2012, 15:17
President Arroyo announced a curfew on 29 November 2007 after the Peninsula hotel siege. The army patrolled the entrance and exit points of SLEX and NLEX. The curfew,a stage down from martial law was announced on tv and radio. The hours of enforcement were 12midnight to 5am.Call center workers were exempt but many were detained then released at dawn.
There was an outcry from human rights groups and the emergency measure was repealed the next day

fred
19th March 2012, 16:37
It was under martial law again from 1972 - 1981 under President Marcos. This was declared “ to suppress increasing civil strife and the threat of communist takeover following a series of bombings “ - and a government-staged assassination attempt on Defense Minister Enrile.

The now,supreme court judge that ran to Edsa and the peoples power revolution just before it was too late for the Marcos`s!..
This particular Marcos crony escaped in the nick of time IMO and now sits at the head of Filipino justice.:icon_lol:
Talk about rats deserting a sinking ship!
I often wonder how Bong bong Marcos considers the supreme judge now that he is one of his peers!
Onli in di pilipins!

grahamw48
19th March 2012, 20:07
Cockroaches are great survivors too. :)