PDA

View Full Version : British citizen by migration

Conchita
22nd June 2007, 18:22
Hi guys!
I need your insights on this.
I am a Filipina and my husband to be is a British citizen. I have recently received the approval/confirmation letter citing that I am now a British citizen by migration pending the end of my probation period( after 2 years).
Does anyone come across the same scenario? What are the advantages of holding such status? Am i eligible to work or how?
Thanking you in advance. :)

vbkelly
1st July 2007, 00:42
Hi guys!
I need your insights on this.
I am a Filipina and my husband to be is a British citizen. I have recently received the approval/confirmation letter citing that I am now a British citizen by migration pending the end of my probation period( after 2 years).
Does anyone come across the same scenario? What are the advantages of holding such status? Am i eligible to work or how?
Thanking you in advance. :)huh:doh:doh:doh

andypaul
1st July 2007, 06:28
Can you explain your situation more clearly please?

Mrs Daddy
1st July 2007, 17:08
Husband to be?not yet a husband?how come your british citizen then?huh

andypaul
1st July 2007, 20:55
Conchita as you can read we are all a bit confused it may just the way you have written it. May i suggest if its easier you write in Tagalog and one of our Phill readers can translate for one not so clever brits like me.

If your here on a finace visa then you need to wait untill your married and have changed your visa to get FLR then you can work. If your here on a spouse visa you can Work as soon as you find a job.

Conchita
2nd July 2007, 10:50
Conchita as you can read we are all a bit confused it may just the way you have written it. May i suggest if its easier you write in Tagalog and one of our Phill readers can translate for one not so clever brits like me.

If your here on a finace visa then you need to wait untill your married and have changed your visa to get FLR then you can work. If your here on a spouse visa you can Work as soon as you find a job.

I apologise then for the confusion..believe it or not..i am also somewhat confused..that's why i ended up seeking refuge in this site....:BouncyHappy:

Anyway, to quote the affidavit I signed, my application is that of a "residential status of a British Citizenship as a non-resident.." An immigration lawyer (which was hired by my husband to be) represented me in the course of the application. Until we got the confirmation letter citing that I am now a first class citizen of this country (UK) pending my probationary period which I understand is after two (2) years. It was written in the confirmation letter that I am now a British citizen by migration. I was issued a British passport and a national identification number prior to my arrival in UK. I am working overseas and by the end of this month, I'll be able to get my British passport at the British Embassy in Manila. tentatively, i'll be joining my honey come August.:BouncyHappy:

I have been searching for the same situation as mine in this forum...but i was not able to find one......that's why I was crying for help..:bigcry:..

Thanking you in advance...

Mrs Daddy
2nd July 2007, 10:55
:Erm:

Mrs Daddy
2nd July 2007, 11:01
have you stayed in uk for two years already?my hubby is confused as well while reading your post?are you in uk at present?

Conchita
2nd July 2007, 11:33
have you stayed in uk for two years already?my hubby is confused as well while reading your post?are you in uk at present?

Hi Mrs. Daddy...thanks for replying..

I am not in UK at present.. I'm still in Singapore....

tell your husband..he's not alone...:BouncyHappy: i am also confused..:Brick:

walesrob
2nd July 2007, 11:47
Theres something very wrong here, and I think (and I hope you can prove me wrong) that you've been conned by this Immigration Lawyer. Why do I say that?

"residential status of a British Citizenship as a non-resident.."
Only applies if your a British Citizen living abroad as a tax exile.

"a first class citizen of this country (UK)"
Utter rubbish, Red Flag 1

" pending my probationary period"
Visas are issued for a fixed time limit, its not probation. Your not on trial here.

"a national identification number"
Red flag 2. Why? We don't have "national identification numbers" in the UK, only passport numbers or National Insurance numbers, unless its the visa reference number?

Where was the application made? Singapore? Manila? (I would assume Manila if your "passport" is available for collection end of July). Where is the lawyer? Philippines? Singapore? Did you provide any proof of your relationship to this lawyer? If so what evidence did you provide? Did your lawyer quote a visa/passport application reference number so you can trace the application status online? Did the Embassy tell you to come to the Embassy to pick up the "Passport" or did your lawyer tell you? Have you had ANY communication with the Embassy, be it letter or phone calls?

Like I said, I hope you can prove me wrong, but a lot of your story does not stack up. Maybe this lawyer has his legal jargon all mixed up, and he's using the wrong words, in which case, he shouldn't be an Immigration Lawyer, if he's not familiar with British Immigration rules and regulations.

nparvus1202
2nd July 2007, 13:00
Aha.. seems fishy. She read it on the affidavit made by the lawyer. She did not mention that the British Embassy has sent her a letter. The pending probation maybe meant that after she stayed in the UK for two years married to a British national. From the affidavit itself, the lawyer seems to have little english translation knowledge, could be not a Filipino lawyer, and if a Filipino lawyer, maybe not a bar passer yet, or someone what we call row 4, meaning brainless.
Conchita, where are you? What happened? Did you get your British passport?

walesrob
2nd July 2007, 13:05
I'm also hoping that its a misunderstanding, and maybe there is a "Passport" waiting for this young lady at the Embassy at Manila. If that is the case, there will be more questions to ask...

IainBusby
2nd July 2007, 13:33
Sounds like a con trick to me !

KeithD
2nd July 2007, 14:39
Why need a lawyer in Singapore, we done our immigration, and from start to finish took about 3 days for £200. Easy. Even a blind thicko with no arms can do it.

joebloggs
2nd July 2007, 16:14
see, if scouser keith can do it, anyone can :D

british citizenship and your not even married yet :yikes:
ive been married 5 years, and my wife has been in the uk more than 2 yrs, has ILR and cannot apply for citizenship for about another 10 months, and then the processing time is near 7 months :yikes:

so your not even married, and you've not been in the uk more than 3 1/2 years then you cannot get citizenship thru marriage.. unless you have thru another type of visa, like thru work permit, after working in the uk 5 years, then applying for naturalization..

vbkelly
2nd July 2007, 22:06
ayeeeeh conchita you can have a bristish passport if you been married to a british man and settled in the uk for 3years from time you have arrived here also everybody applying for a british passport has to take a life in the UK test if you can already speak and read english,if you can't you have to do an english course then you still have to do the living in the uk test "no exceptions"this is matter of fact!!!!!!!!!if it was as easy as gaining citizenship through migration every nation would be doing it also their is the small matter of the fee which is £665.00 which includes the ceremony which is also compulsory.

Conchita
3rd July 2007, 08:10
Hi All!

I intend to reply to all your queries once I got hold of my passport. I just find it ironic that I am the one whose gonna do the explanations...I assumed earlier it should be the other way around.

I have already prepared my response but I guess it would be futile since I dont have yet the final documents on hand. Once i get it, i'll let you know.

I appreciate your concerns and interests.

Mrs Daddy
3rd July 2007, 10:22
yeah,i think you better prove us wrong conchita.but we all really doubt that you could have one.as i understand your are still in singapore and you not even been to uk,am i right?so its a bit unfair to some filipino wives here who stayed for about more than a year lets say and cant have british passport and then here you are getting it without any problem with your so cakked employer.in that matter,for you to get your british passport you have to go back home in PI and get it from the british emabassy,yeah?us here cant wait for the result.gud luck to you and hoe really you are not being fool.sorry to say that.hope we are wrong but its just that a bit confusing.

Conchita
3rd July 2007, 10:53
yeah,i think you better prove us wrong conchita.but we all really doubt that you could have one.as i understand your are still in singapore and you not even been to uk,am i right?so its a bit unfair to some filipino wives here who stayed for about more than a year lets say and cant have british passport and then here you are getting it without any problem with your so cakked employer.in that matter,for you to get your british passport you have to go back home in PI and get it from the british emabassy,yeah?us here cant wait for the result.gud luck to you and hoe really you are not being fool.sorry to say that.hope we are wrong but its just that a bit confusing.

Not a problem Mrs. Daddy....by the way I didnt mention any "employer" in my previous comments. And I guess u misused the word "Unfair" here...Its out of hand. We have spent so much money and effort in this application. So the word unfair seems prejudiced..I'll let you know of the result...

Thanks anyway...

Conchita
3rd July 2007, 11:00
To add also..we underwent basically the same procedures as most of the couples in this forum had experienced. We didnt get it on a silver platter.

Mrs Daddy
3rd July 2007, 11:01
I mean LAWYER:icon_lol:

Mrs Daddy
3rd July 2007, 11:03
To add also..we underwent basically the same procedures as most of the couples in this forum had experienced. We didnt get it on a silver platter.

ooopppssss:Erm:

Ping
3rd July 2007, 11:08
Hello Conchita if you don't mind, can I have your phone number.I'm really interested to talk to you personally regarding your unique story.WE own this site and besides I worked in Singapore for seven years and I applied my visa there.So thats why I want to talk to you and to know you a bit. Okay.

Regards,
Ate Ping

Conchita
3rd July 2007, 11:18
Hello Conchita if you don't mind, can I have your phone number.I'm really interested to talk to you personally regarding your unique story.WE own this site and besides I worked in Singapore for seven years and I applied my visa there.So thats why I want to talk to you and to know you a bit. Okay.

Regards,
Ate Ping

Hi Ate Ping,

Thank you for your interest. I really would love to meet fellow Filipino who resides and will be coming to UK for the same reason as mine.

I will be in the Philippines this Thursday for a vacation and will be back before end July. You can pm me at jade050280@yahoo.com. as I am leaving my Singapore number here.:)

Will be waiting for you.

Thanks again....

Conchita
3rd July 2007, 11:32
Hope to share with you guys the result immediately. Bear with me. Thanks.

KeithD
3rd July 2007, 14:30
http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/applying/nationality/advice/

This is the information on qualification for British Citizenship. Which one do you come under, and when are you taking the tests all immigrants now have to take?

joebloggs
3rd July 2007, 19:27
http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/applying/nationality/advice/

This is the information on qualification for British Citizenship. Which one do you come under, and when are you taking the tests all immigrants now have to take?

:xxgrinning--00xx3: as always scouser keith is right..

but i know of a case where a russian woman got ILR straight away, that was a mistake by the embassy thou and that was many years ago. rarely happens, also a lawyer can not legally get you citizenship any quicker than i or all the others users on here can get it.. you have to go by immigration rules .. and play their waiting game :xxgrinning--00xx3:

nparvus1202
27th September 2007, 17:33
Anybody know what happened to Conchita's case?

charlwill
27th September 2007, 19:36
Anyway, to quote the affidavit I signed, my application is that of a "residential status of a British Citizenship as a non-resident.." An immigration lawyer (which was hired by my husband to be) represented me in the course of the application. Until we got the confirmation letter citing that I am now a first class citizen of this country (UK) pending my probationary period which I understand is after two (2) years. It was written in the confirmation letter that I am now a British citizen by migration. I was issued a British passport and a national identification number prior to my arrival in UK. I am working overseas and by the end of this month, I'll be able to get my British passport at the British Embassy in Manila. tentatively, i'll be joining my honey come August.:BouncyHappy:
I have been searching for the same situation as mine in this forum...but i was not able to find one......that's why I was crying for help..:bigcry:..
Thanking you in advance...

Yay!!!! I never heard this! First class citizen without living in the U.K? Who is her husband to be? is it Prince Charles?, Tony Blair? , or Gordon Brown? she is not yet a residence in this country for her is just that easy to become a citizen. Me, I've waited for 3 years before I was granted my citizenship.

And I guess u misused the word "Unfair" here...Its out of hand. We have spent so much money and effort in this application. So the word unfair seems prejudiced..I'll let you know of the result...

Everyone spent time, effort and of course money to acquire the citizenship. Nobody is exempted in this kind of matter. Where is she now? Hibernate?

aromulus
27th September 2007, 20:26
It might well be that she realized she was conned or scammed, and does not feel like posting, in case anyone takes the mickey.

it is not something anybody would do, Conchita.

We are all friends and try to help as much as we can.

Your situation seemed abnormal, hence the many questions and doubts.

Whichever way it went, please, let everybody know.

1 - so that if it is true, we can guide other applicants the right way.

2 - if it is a scam, we can warn other people not to fall for the trick.

The Embassy website already warns applicants not to use fixers, but many people still do that, and lose their money.

Please get in touch again. If you are hurt by the happenings, don't be alone with your pain.
Share it and you will feel encouraged.

There is no shame attached.

ingat ka dyann

Dom & Jet

andypaul
28th September 2007, 07:18
Well written dom