PDA

View Full Version : PM's NOT ..

bruce
23rd March 2012, 13:41
Hi

I am trying to send and receive Pm's reference personal problems (another thread) but cant ? please see below .

bruce, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

bigmarco
23rd March 2012, 16:36
Hi Bruce
I believe you can only send and receive private messages once you become a respected member. No idea why

imagine
23rd March 2012, 19:25
Hi Bruce
I believe you can only send and receive private messages once you become a respected member. No idea why

its like earning trust before a new member can pm and other actions, i believe its for the protection and safety of all members, you do get the bad people join, so it gives time to be sure the new members are genuine :xxgrinning--00xx3:

iv no doubt about yourself, but we all start that way

Arthur Little
23rd March 2012, 20:10
its like earning trust before a new member can pm and other actions, i believe its for the protection and safety of all members, you do get the bad people join, so it gives time to be sure the new members are genuine :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Yes ... you're absolutely correct, Stewart. :rolleyes: ... it used to be the case, that once a member attained 75 posts or above, he/she more or less automatically qualified for 'Respected status' - which carried with it, certain privileges ... such as access to the Private Messaging facility. Sadly, over time, it became clear these privileges were being abused by a minority of folk who'd joined for all the wrong reasons - leading to the culprits being banned and the sytem tightened up.

That's no reflection on Bruce and Nivea of course. :nono-1-1:

raynaputi
23rd March 2012, 20:33
It's not just posts Arthur, they also need a required number of reps to be promoted.

Whoosh
23rd March 2012, 22:29
Why all the restrictions? There is a couple of people I would like to pm but can not - Is a forum not there to facilitate communication?

Whoosh
23rd March 2012, 22:31
what is a "rep" and how do you get them?

Whoosh
23rd March 2012, 22:32
Just noticed my jelly bean is red = why is that?

Steve.r
23rd March 2012, 22:36
We have had instances in the past where people who have been regular new posters, then make pests of themselves by abusing the PM system. This includes spamming and malicious gossip. When members gain the trust of the forum Admin they are upgraded to 'Respected Members' and PM restrictions are removed. Not only does post count add to becoming a respected member but also 'rep' points too.

You can always leave a message on other members wall on their profile pages, if that helps.

Steve.r
23rd March 2012, 22:45
Just noticed my jelly bean is red = why is that?

You will see that I have a long line of dark green, light green and yellow blobs. These are good rep (reputaion points) Rep points are earned by you if someone likes your post and think it adds to the value of the thread and forum. Good info, interesting post, supportive etc etc... You add to someone's rep points by clicking the 'star' at the bottom of that person's post.

Red blobs are for bad rep. Unfortunately, it appears you may have upset someone enough to get some negative feedback in the form of bad rep points.

Rep points are given annonymously unless you want to give your name and explain why you liked or disliked the post.

Hope that explains it. :)

Whoosh
23rd March 2012, 22:53
yes it does thanks - I have only entered into one debate on the forum - about smoking - I noticed that one member - a mod - seemed to dislike my opinion to the subject of smoking and made it a little personal - I never did and only argued about the subject of the post not the posters - a forum takes all sorts of people and opinions to make it a forum and given I am about to enter the RP to live I would have thought I could contribute something - but if I am am the whim of other members who just push buttons because they do not like what I read I think I will withdraw

Cheers

Whoosh

Whoosh
23rd March 2012, 22:57
PS - can not see any star - was that because I was a noob - seems a bit unfair to me - but as they say in Asia - up to you

Steve.r
23rd March 2012, 23:12
yes it does thanks - I have only entered into one debate on the forum - about smoking - I noticed that one member - a mod - seemed to dislike my opinion to the subject of smoking and made it a little personal - I never did and only argued about the subject of the post not the posters - a forum takes all sorts of people and opinions to make it a forum and given I am about to enter the RP to live I would have thought I could contribute something - but if I am am the whim of other members who just push buttons because they do not like what I read I think I will withdraw

Cheers

Whoosh

It could have been anyone, not necessarily a mod. We can't all like what people say or the way they say it. As a mod, I bite my tongue a lot because of the fact that even though I might not agree with everyone, diversity is what makes the forum tick. Don't get upset about it, it happens on any forum.

If you decide to withdraw, it is completely up to you, but I would hope you reconsider. We all have good things to add to the forum. :)

bruce
25th March 2012, 08:40
Thanks all :) ...its all sorted now :xxgrinning--00xx3: