PDA

View Full Version : Patient care 'will suffer' under plans to throw out migrant nurses

joebloggs
26th March 2012, 13:19
Government's own assessment predicts 48% of non-EU nurses will be excluded from Britain under new rules
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/mar/25/migrant-nurses-nhs

Terpe
26th March 2012, 13:30
..The assessment claims that the loss of the migrant nurses will not have a "significant impact" on the ability of the 698,000-strong nurse workforce in the country to carry out their duties.

Just my personal opinion, but I think the government assessment is flawed.
I think semantics plays a part here. There's a much bigger impact than the government admits.
Not many 'nurses' earning over £35000
Many more will be forced to downgrade their jobs to avoid the definition of Nurse.

The current immigration policies are nothing less than scandalous, simply because the government is unwilling or unable to put focus of immigration controls where it's needed.

imo

joebloggs
26th March 2012, 13:35
the minimum £25k a year will not affect a european who is living in the uk bringing his non euro wife, but affects a british citizen :cwm23::angry:

Arthur Little
26th March 2012, 14:53
the minimum £25k a year will not affect a european who is living in the uk bringing his non euro wife, but affects a british citizen :cwm23::angry:

Now that IS totally unacceptable :23_116_6[1]: ... it's high time this anomaly :yeahthat: was rectified in the interests of fairness and parity!

Arthur Little
26th March 2012, 14:57
:doh ... I must appear like a grumpy old git :olddude: ... but all I'm looking for is some degree of equality.

andy222
26th March 2012, 22:08
I think I touched on this subject about the filipinos who have their own care home and wanting to bring their own carers in.:NoNo:

Doc Alan
26th March 2012, 23:10
The current immigration policies are nothing less than scandalous, simply because the government is unwilling or unable to put focus of immigration controls where it's needed.

imo
You're correct, and not alone in your opinion Terpe. This week's " Economist " - an influential weekly newspaper which members may not have seen - says " The Government is pursuing an immigration policy that makes it harder for bright people to come to Britain, and plans to withhold settlement and citizenship from many of those it does let in : an awful message. Its policy on Europe is a shambles that has strengthened the forces arrayed against free trade. ":doh

Thanks, joebloggs, for posting this - we should keep it in mind especially for filipino nurses looking for work in the UK.
I have said before that the ill-considered decision to make nursing a graduate-only profession in the UK will put off many girls and boys from becoming nurses. I worry more about the future of nursing in our hospitals, after reading this news.