PDA

View Full Version : What happens at UK Passport Control?

MarkR
9th April 2012, 19:33
Hi,

Well my wife is coming on the 18th April and having to leave her kids behind whilst the appeal goes ahead (See: Wife visa granted...2 kids refused! Help please!).

I'm getting her to go to Manila next Sunday where she can stay with her cousin just round the corner from the Quezon City CFO which she will go to on Monday to get the yellow sticker, leaving Tuesday spare to soak up any problems that may have occurred on Monday! Then boards only her second ever international flight with Malaysia Airlines on Wednesday afternoon.

So my question is: When she finally arrives at LHR at 6.00am on Thursday 19th does she need anything other than the visa inside her passport? i.e. The visa says spouse of blah blah.....does she have to show any proof such as marriage certificate etc?

Cheers for any advice, it's mainly to put my frazzled mind at peace!

lastlid
9th April 2012, 19:37
I came through passport control with my wife in Manchester. They asked her very little. Passport, marriage certificate and where she was going to be staying. The fact I was with my wife made it a little more self explanatory. I was surprised how easy it was. No questions on tuberculosis or anything. It was really a doddle. It probably took all of 3 minutes plus 20 minutes queueing beforehand.

I had met her in Amsterdam beforehand and flew with her to Manchester.

raynaputi
9th April 2012, 19:47
Put the important documents in her hand carry luggage just in case. It's handy coz no one knows if it'll be asked to show it.

lastlid
9th April 2012, 19:49
Put the important documents in her hand carry luggage just in case. It's handy coz no one knows if it'll be asked to show it.

Yes. Thats what I got Mrs Lastlid to do. :xxgrinning--00xx3: Just in case.

GraceAdam
9th April 2012, 20:58
When I arrived at LHR last 17th of March, 2012 I just gave my passport to the immigration officer and he asked me if my fiance is with me and I said no but he is waiting for me outside to pick me up, then he said that I need to go to the Health control for them to see the X-ray result. then after i went to other desk then she put stamped on my passport then after i got my luggage.. :) then exit ;)

hope it helps..

MarkR
9th April 2012, 22:03
When I arrived at LHR last 17th of March, 2012 I just gave my passport to the immigration officer and he asked me if my fiance is with me and I said no but he is waiting for me outside to pick me up, then he said that I need to go to the Health control for them to see the X-ray result. then after i went to other desk then she put stamped on my passport then after i got my luggage.. :) then exit ;)

hope it helps..

Hi Grace,

Are you saying you had to show a TB X-ray result at UK border? My understanding was the the Philippines doesn't require TB screening?!

lastlid
9th April 2012, 22:08
Hi Grace,

My understanding was the the Philippines doesn't require TB screening?!

This one is a bit of a funny one. You are correct and it is stated as such on the UKBA website. BUT sometimes the UKBA staff seem to be unaware of that and still ask immigrants from the Philippines. My wife never had a TB test. And was never asked as she came through UK Immigration and has never been asked by her GP since she arrived. Many people on here have had the TB test done on a "just in case" basis.

I wonder what would have happened if we had challenged the UKBA staff, if she had been asked? Strictly speaking they would have been in the wrong.

Also why pay extra for something that isn't required?

grahamw48
9th April 2012, 22:30
Don't know why they'd ask for marriage cert...SPOUSE visa in the passport should be enough. :rolleyes:

My ex was sent off to a room at Heathrow to be checked (Xray) for TB.

Other than that...straight through. Also told them I was meeting her.

Are UKBA more unpopular than estate agents ? Useless :censored:s

GraceAdam
11th April 2012, 12:30
yes I was bringing with me my chest x-ray result and I put it in my hand carry bag.

just incase they will ask your wife for the x-ray result just tell her to get one before she will fly.

juvyjones28
11th April 2012, 14:10
Hi Mark, I have just arrived here in UK last Sunday, The UK Border Officer asked to see my passport, visa and x-ray result, I put all my documents in my hand carry luggage so it would be easier to dig out just in case they ask for it. TB certificate is not necessary but an x-ray result should be fine. If your wife doesn't have x-ray or TB cert with her, she will be stopped at Health Control premises to get x-ray done. Glad I did got x-ray done coz it would have been pain in the :censored:. Bon Voyage to your wifey :Wave:

MarkR
11th April 2012, 22:25
Hi Mark, I have just arrived here in UK last Sunday, The UK Border Officer asked to see my passport, visa and x-ray result, I put all my documents in my hand carry luggage so it would be easier to dig out just in case they ask for it. TB certificate is not necessary but an x-ray result should be fine. If your wife doesn't have x-ray or TB cert with her, she will be stopped at Health Control premises to get x-ray done. Glad I did got x-ray done coz it would have been pain in the :censored:. Bon Voyage to your wifey :Wave:

Hi Juvy,

My wife does not have an X-ray or TB result because I didn't know she would be asked for one. I guess it is not the end of the world, just means waiting a bit longer at Heathrow, but in-case she gets the time to do it before she comes, how does she get this? Does she just go to the local hospital and ask for a chest x-ray or TB test?

Actually when I think about it, she would have to pay to get it over there but LHR will do it for free :-)

raynaputi
11th April 2012, 22:30
It's not a problem if your wife won't have the x-ray to present in the immigration..she would just be asked to get it in LHR airport or would be asked to get it at any local surgery..:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Rosie1958
11th April 2012, 23:21
Hi Mark

Heathrow is notorious for requesting a chest x-ray. My sister-in-law and nephew left Philippines urgently in 2010 without bringing x-rays with them. Immigration at Heathrow were happy on that occasion for them to have x-rays taken at our local hospital, which were organised through the GP.

lastlid
12th April 2012, 06:53
Somebody needs to tap them on the shoulder at Heathrow and tell them that their governing body doesn't require a TB cert or x ray for incoming Filipinos. I wonder what would happen if one refused to take the x ray? Just out of interest....

MarkR
12th April 2012, 20:37
Hi Mark

Heathrow is notorious for requesting a chest x-ray. My sister-in-law and nephew left Philippines urgently in 2010 without bringing x-rays with them. Immigration at Heathrow were happy on that occasion for them to have x-rays taken at our local hospital, which were organised through the GP.

Ahhh well I guess that as good an excuse as any for getting her registered with our GP sooner rather than later.

lastlid
12th April 2012, 22:21
We registered with our GP almost immediately after my wife arrived but she has never once been asked to go for an x ray.