PDA

View Full Version : Some Good Volcanic News

lastlid
11th April 2012, 22:58
"Iceland's volcanoes may power UK
The energy minister is to visit Iceland in May to discuss connecting the UK to its abundant geothermal energy"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2012/apr/11/iceland-volcano-green-power?newsfeed=true

grahamw48
11th April 2012, 23:05
Good idea...since we can't have 'their' Cod any more. :)

lastlid
12th April 2012, 07:08
And it will help the UK reduce its dependence on oil.....help to charge up all those electric cars we will be pottering around in :D

Terpe
12th April 2012, 09:39
"Iceland's volcanoes may power UK
The energy minister is to visit Iceland in May to discuss connecting the UK to its abundant geothermal energy"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2012/apr/11/iceland-volcano-green-power?newsfeed=true

Fascinating read that.
For some reason I was expecting a new hi-tech approach, but it's back to the cable.
I wonder what the losses are (if any)

Seems like a great idea to me. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

lastlid
12th April 2012, 09:44
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Submarine_power_cable

I believe the Swedes were doing the cable thing some 20 years ago. Somebody explained to me that the sea was used as one of the conductors.......dont quite know how that works but.....maybe they were pulling my leg....

Infinite supply of power of course.

grahamw48
12th April 2012, 09:46
Geothermal really is an intelligent use of resources. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

lastlid
12th April 2012, 09:49
Geothermal really is an intelligent use of resources. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

It certainly is and clean too.

lastlid
12th April 2012, 09:54
Fascinating read that.
For some reason I was expecting a new hi-tech approach, but it's back to the cable.
I wonder what the losses are (if any)

Seems like a great idea to me. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

This one seems a little different in that it is over a longer distance...

Arthur Little
12th April 2012, 12:44
This one seems a little different in that it is over a longer distance...

... intergeothermic energy without interrruptions?? :Erm:

lastlid
12th April 2012, 19:28
... intergeothermic energy without interrruptions?? :Erm:

Yes. When they plug in, no doubt Scotland will be lit up like a christmas tree as it is so much closer to Iceland.....:xxgrinning--00xx3:

lastlid
12th April 2012, 19:30
"Any cable link between the UK and Iceland would be the longest of its kind in the world, at up to 932 miles". Said the BBC......

Terpe
12th April 2012, 21:42
"Any cable link between the UK and Iceland would be the longest of its kind in the world, at up to 932 miles". Said the BBC......

Wasn't there a transatlantic telephone cable at one time. I've some vague recollections

lastlid
12th April 2012, 21:56
Wasn't there a transatlantic telephone cable at one time. I've some vague recollections

I believe there was. Fibre optics now?

andy222
12th April 2012, 22:14
Good read lastlid. So will our electric bills come down?

lastlid
12th April 2012, 22:17
Good read lastlid. So will our electric bills come down? Well, I guess it all depends on what the Icelandic folk sell it to us for, but its bound to be cheaper than it will be when our oil reserves start to run dry....

I was thinking the same question and was thinking surely less. Having said that, electricity is more expensive here on the IOM than on the mainland so we will need plugging into that supply too...

andy222
12th April 2012, 22:24
I just cant stop thinking some scabby MP will have a good backhander out of this.:cwm23:

grahamw48
12th April 2012, 22:24
Good read lastlid. So will our electric bills come down?

Doubling every 5 years at the moment...and extremely unlikely to slow down. :NoNo:

Good for my insulation sales, but I still have to pay the extortionate bills too. :cwm3: