PDA

View Full Version : £4.94 for a fresh Green Papya!

lastlid
15th April 2012, 11:39
Yes, £4.94 for one weighing just over a pound weight in the local asian shop here! :omg: WOW is that normal?

430grams of silken Tofu seems a bit more reasonable at £1.89
375 grams large tapioca pearls at 99p........

juvyjones28
15th April 2012, 12:01
Oh dear thats a bit pricey, I used to buy papaya back in the Philippines every week coz Its what I usually have for breakfast, and this size of papaya is just 50 pesos.

http://www.easydietprograms.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/papaya_80c551f8de9454b507c97ded37203deb.jpg

lastlid
15th April 2012, 12:26
Oh dear thats a bit pricey, I used to buy papaya back in the Philippines every week coz Its what I usually have for breakfast, and this size of papaya is just 50 pesos.

http://www.easydietprograms.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/papaya_80c551f8de9454b507c97ded37203deb.jpg

Well I kind of thought the same. Problem has been getting authentic ingredients for my wife. She is making Tinola and wanted to add green papaya.

Anybody else got caught in the same way?

juvyjones28
15th April 2012, 12:29
Well I kind of thought the same. Problem has been getting authentic ingredients for my wife. She is making Tinola and wanted to add green papaya.

Oh I see, I haven't cook tinola here so far, only adobo and kaldereta.. I've seen green papaya yesterday at waitrose for £2. Not sure if there's any sayote here, she can use it as alternative ingredient.

lastlid
15th April 2012, 12:56
Oh I see, I haven't cook tinola here so far, only adobo and kaldereta.. I've seen green papaya yesterday at waitrose for £2. Not sure if there's any sayote here, she can use it as alternative ingredient.

I see. Maybe we need to look elswhere for the green papaya.

We just had the Tinola. The cooked green papaya reminds me of what we call marrow here......

Sayote....I saw those yesterday and asked my wife what they were. Looked a bit like ugly apples....:icon_lol:

andy222
15th April 2012, 13:28
Yes, £4.94 for one weighing just over a pound weight in the local asian shop here! :omg: WOW is that normal?

£4.94?:hubbahubba: you could get a carvery for that mate. I hope shes worth it.:icon_lol:

Dedworth
15th April 2012, 15:33
http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/#/asda-compare-prices/fruit/asda_papaya.html

grahamw48
15th April 2012, 15:41
Have you got a tall greenhouse ? :)

http://www.ehow.co.uk/info_8034183_papaya-tree-care.html

Moy
15th April 2012, 15:50
papaya:hubbahubba::D is alwayss been free at the back of my garden back home in Philippines:D

http://www.biopix.com/photos/jko-carica-papaya-00412.jpg

http://www.livingcropmuseum.info/CropDetail/Papaya/Papaya%20fruit%20ripe.JPG

Dedworth
15th April 2012, 15:51
£4.94?:hubbahubba: you could get a carvery for that mate. I hope shes worth it.:icon_lol:

Or at the Crown Carvery Mon - Sat Kuripot Special you'd get the carvery and £0.95 change from the £4.94

http://www.crowncarveries.co.uk/carvery/

Moy
15th April 2012, 15:52

it should be IF:yikes::Rasp: you really fancy some..imagine that papaya at 4.94 pound flying 7000 miles across to just come here :yikes::D i must say very worthy:D:Rasp:

Moy
15th April 2012, 16:01
Or at the Crown Carvery Mon - Sat Kuripot Special you'd get the carvery and £0.95 change from the £4.94

http://www.crowncarveries.co.uk/carvery/

you all have point:Jump:.but when you fancy some that this country dont offer and you instanly see at an asian shop..you woudnt think of how much the cost is:doh:D
same idea if you are in Philippines and you fancy the cornwall:icon_lol::D famous pasty or clotted cream with jam on scones what would you do??:D

Marie
15th April 2012, 16:06
replace papaya with chayote and malungay leaves...masarap and healthy pa.....

Moy
15th April 2012, 16:08
:xxgrinning--00xx3: question is if the asian shop offer that...malunggay is very rare to see nowadays..ben chasing now for almost years:omg::D

Moy
15th April 2012, 16:22

I woudnt doubt to buy those lastid..Mr Moy:yikes::D has just bought 2 pieces green papaya today..ill make ripen the other one and one for my our Tinola ala bisaya:D:Rasp::D.looking for malunggay and dahon sili but unfortunately they dont :bigcry::cwm3:

http://masarapdin.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/tinolang-manok1.jpg

lastlid
15th April 2012, 16:24
http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/#/asda-compare-prices/fruit/asda_papaya.html

WOW I think we got ripped off there....:omg:

lastlid
15th April 2012, 16:28
Mrs Lastlid was very happy though to get a taste of the Philippines.....but not again at that price. I think Moy's analogy with the Cornish pasty is quite a good one.....but will try an alternative ingredient next time......I swear they taste like marrow....:icon_lol:

Moy
15th April 2012, 16:30
WOW I think we got ripped off there....:omg:

i strongly disagreed on you on that lastid;) i have try that papaya on that supermarket..asda/morisson..the taste was not on my standard:omg::D seriously..if your wife will want to make the aunthentic chicken tinola..the asian shop papaya is worthy and the flavour you could get from there is the taste you'll find in the Philippines
Trust me:D:rolleyes::icon_lol:

andy222
15th April 2012, 16:48

My wife showed me chayote yesterday looks great roll on 4 weeks time.:xxgrinning--00xx3: I will have some papaya as well but it wont cost £4.49.:laugher:. Seriously if she wanted papaya over here I would shop around to get her some.

lastlid
15th April 2012, 17:35
My wife showed me chayote yesterday looks great roll on 4 weeks time.:xxgrinning--00xx3: I will have some papaya as well but it wont cost £4.49.:laugher:. Seriously if she wanted papaya over here I would shop around to get her some.

We don't have a lot of choice here on the IOM, unfortunately Andy. The variety in shops is missing here and you chaps are quite lucky on the mainland UK. Anyhow I got a marrow in Tesco for just over a quid today. So that will do in future.

Actually i think they must have made a mistake and I will give them a call tomorrow and see what they say.......

lastlid
15th April 2012, 17:44
papaya:hubbahubba::D is alwayss been free at the back of my garden back home in Philippines:D

http://www.biopix.com/photos/jko-carica-papaya-00412.jpg

http://www.livingcropmuseum.info/CropDetail/Papaya/Papaya%20fruit%20ripe.JPG

WOW Yes, if they taste like marrow they sure dont grow like marrow.......:xxgrinning--00xx3:

andy222
15th April 2012, 17:45
I was thinking about that Laslid. About the options you have there in IOM. I have never been there but I would like to visit.

lastlid
15th April 2012, 17:48
I was thinking about that Laslid. About the options you have there in IOM. I have never been there but I would like to visit.

Its great if you are a motor bike enthusiast.....or love sailing....no inheritance tax.....

andy222
15th April 2012, 17:57
I like the TT mate. I have always imagined it to be like the Isle of white for some reason.

lastlid
15th April 2012, 18:11
I like the TT mate. I have always imagined it to be like the Isle of white for some reason.

Different terrain to the Isle of Wight, more rugged with its own mountain - Snaefell. Basically the TT course goes around the mountain.

Not dissimilar in size, but much further away from the rest of civilisation than the Isle of Wight.

andy222
15th April 2012, 18:22
Sounds great mate. But I believe they make it harder to get there on a permanent basis. A lot different to mainland uk.

lastlid
15th April 2012, 18:46
Sounds great mate. But I believe they make it harder to get there on a permanent basis. A lot different to mainland uk.

Not sure what you mean.....but if you are from the UK you do need a work permit to work here....is that what you mean?

lastlid
15th April 2012, 18:51
A rather expensive Chicken Tinola :icon_lol:

andy222
15th April 2012, 18:53
I thought you had to be a resident there for so long to work there? By the way that looks yummy.

lastlid
15th April 2012, 18:56
I thought it was a different system altogether. I thought you needed to be a resident there for so long to work.

No. Thats not true. Plus there are heaps of Pinoys here on work type visas. There is movement from the UK to here but they try and protect jobs for their own people first and foremost. Then if they cant fill positions with local people then it is permissible to hire from other places including the UK.

andy222
15th April 2012, 19:06
Under the provisions of the Control of Employment Acts and the Regulations made thereunder, any person who is not an Isle of Man Worker requires a work permit issued by the Department of Trade and Industry before taking up employment or self employment in the Isle of Man, except in the case of a few exempted employments.

A bit misleading mate or I am thick.:doh

lastlid
15th April 2012, 19:13
Under the provisions of the Control of Employment Acts and the Regulations made thereunder, any person who is not an Isle of Man Worker requires a work permit issued by the Department of Trade and Industry before taking up employment or self employment in the Isle of Man, except in the case of a few exempted employments.

A bit misleading mate or I am thick.:doh

Thats right. Anybody who is not an Isle of Man worker requires a work permit to work here. Exactly right. So as long as you can get that permit then you get to work here.

andy222
15th April 2012, 19:18
ok mate.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Dedworth
15th April 2012, 20:45
No. Thats not true. Plus there are heaps of Pinoys here on work type visas. There is movement from the UK to here but they try and protect jobs for their own people first and foremost. Then if they cant fill positions with local people then it is permissible to hire from other places including the UK.

Would I be correct in thinking Roma Beggars aka Roma Big Issue Sellers don't feature on the Island ?

lastlid
15th April 2012, 20:53
Would I be correct in thinking Roma Beggars aka Roma Big Issue Sellers don't feature on the Island ?

To be honest I don't know the answer to that. But I have to say I haven't seen any at all.....

lastlid
16th April 2012, 14:49

I just phoned the "asian shop" here on the IOM and it wasn't a mistake on their part.......so needless to say we wont be buying those again in a hurry. A marrow at just over a quid will do instead.....:icon_lol:

Dedworth
16th April 2012, 15:40
I just phoned the "asian shop" here on the IOM and it wasn't a mistake on their part.......so needless to say we wont be buying those again in a hurry. A marrow at just over a quid will do instead.....:icon_lol:

They obviously add on an even greater Rip off Britain percentage than is norm for the mainland

lastlid
16th April 2012, 15:45
They obviously add on an even greater Rip off Britain percentage than is norm for the mainland

Well, yes. Normally I have found them okayish but in this instance definitely not. Definitely the most expensive vegetable I have ever bought....:icon_lol:

lastlid
16th April 2012, 16:56
I had a phone call from the manager of the asian store and he explained that they are flown in from Thailand so that they arrive here fresh. He also said that the ones he supplies are bigger, at over a pound in weight compared to many others sold on the mainland in the larger supermarkets. Oh well. Fair enough but at that price .........:NoNo:

grahamw48
16th April 2012, 17:00
He's obviously hoping you've never been in a mainland supermarket. :icon_lol:

fred
16th April 2012, 17:08
I feel so guilty as I have over 30 fruit bearing papaya trees here.. Im using the sweet/ripe ones for large quantities of wine unless the birds get them first but now you got me thinking..... How much to stick a green one in the post to UK?

lastlid
16th April 2012, 17:52
He's obviously hoping you've never been in a mainland supermarket. :icon_lol:

I have never bought a papaya before, anywhere, so I am even more naive on these matters....:icon_lol:

grahamw48
16th April 2012, 19:12
I feel so guilty as I have over 30 fruit bearing papaya trees here.. Im using the sweet/ripe ones for large quantities of wine unless the birds get them first but now you got me thinking..... How much to stick a green one in the post to UK?

About 40 quid DHL ? :Erm: :D

lastlid
16th April 2012, 20:57
About 40 quid DHL ? :Erm: :D

I will have one :xxgrinning--00xx3: :D ...a bargain...