PDA

View Full Version : People's experience of IELTs grades

Trefor
26th May 2012, 09:37
Hi.

My Rose has just taken her IELTs test in Dubai. Some parts of the test sounded quite easy, some a little tricky. I know to get the top grade '1' of '9' she would need to be perfect (Even I would struggle!), but how well have others done on this test. Rose read somewhere that she needs a grade '6' to get into the UK. This is what they call 'competent'. Does anyone else have a grade below this and successfully get a visa? How good was everyone's English when they took the test/got a visa to the UK?

Thank you.

melovesengland
26th May 2012, 09:57
I took IELTS here in Davao and I got an OBS of 7. Is she an acad student? I am GT. The band score needed here for settlement visa is flat 4 as far as I can remember.

Terpe
26th May 2012, 11:05
Hi.

My Rose has just taken her IELTs test in Dubai. Some parts of the test sounded quite easy, some a little tricky. I know to get the top grade '1' of '9' she would need to be perfect (Even I would struggle!), but how well have others done on this test. Rose read somewhere that she needs a grade '6' to get into the UK. This is what they call 'competent'. Does anyone else have a grade below this and successfully get a visa? How good was everyone's English when they took the test/got a visa to the UK?

Thank you.

Trefor

The UKBA site states that,
"In the test, you will need to demonstrate a basic command of English (speaking and listening) at level A1 of the Common European Framework of Reference Someone assessed at level A1 can understand and use simple, everyday expressions and very basic phrases.
You will not need to demonstrate your reading and writing skills. The minimum standard that you must meet is in speaking and listening at level A1 of the Common European Framework of Reference. "

A1 level is very basic.
IELTS does not actually test at A1 level but at the slightly higher B1 level.
The pass score for the IELTS B1 level is 4 when applied to requirements for a UK visa

Trefor
26th May 2012, 21:49
Thanks.

She is an engineer, has an eng degree and has been working in Dubai for a construction company for the past 6 years, she speaks English very well.

Trefor
26th May 2012, 21:50
Useful stuff

Thanks Terpe, that is a relief. I knew they have clamped down on the rules but thought a level 6 grade was a bit tough for any trying to come to the UK.

RickyR
27th May 2012, 08:47
I'm planning to take the IELTS test in August with my wife. I'm aiming for at least and 8, and will then come back with a detailed report on it and how it works :-)
Moral support for my wife.

joebloggs
27th May 2012, 11:49
Thanks Terpe, that is a relief. I knew they have clamped down on the rules but thought a level 6 grade was a bit tough for any trying to come to the UK.

for a nurse to work here, You must complete the academic version of the IELTS test and achieve:

At least 7.0 in the listening and reading sections
At least 7.0 in the writing and speaking sections
At least 7.0 (out of a possible 9) overall

for a doctor to work here (from outside EU) its the same

That you have taken the academic version of the IELTS test.
That you have obtained an overall score of 7.0, with minimum scores of 7.0 in each of the areas tested (speaking, listening, reading and writing).

these have to be the academic version which is more difficult than the general version of IELTS.

Trefor
10th June 2012, 16:47
The results are in. She got a 6.5. Visa application now in the system via the Dubai authorities. Fingers crossed.

(she got a 6.0 for listening ... won't be living that one down...).

Thanks for the tips everyone.

T/.