PDA

View Full Version : The railway in Manila

Ako Si Jamie
29th May 2012, 22:17
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiIzUZUGROY&feature=related

lastlid
29th May 2012, 22:20
WOW. Big Marco will have a heart attack watching this.....

RickyR
29th May 2012, 23:41
Spent a day once trying to find out the schedules for this train, wandering up and down the stations. Never did find it.
Sort of glad I didn't now.

grahamw48
29th May 2012, 23:46
Great video ! Looks worse of course because of the way the camera foreshortens distances.

Hahaha, I used to go all the way to the province (near Naga City, Bicol) on that thing. A few more 'carriages' though. Nothing worked...fans, aircon...nowt.

Only a 17 hour trip, and like being on a bucking bronco while you're trying to get some kip in the sleeper section. :Bouncy::Smokin::BouncyHappy::huepfen024::NEW5::Cuckoo::wiggle:

As for taking a pee or a :action-smiley-081:. :NoNo:

I took this in 1990, while a passenger on one of the 'Skates' which run on the lines in-between the trains.

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/2815/phils1990and1991005.jpg

RickyR
29th May 2012, 23:57
haha, those 17 hours must have been a killer.

grahamw48
30th May 2012, 00:07
Absolute nightmare.

Doesn't help when vendors go marching up and down inside the train and hammering on your door every 10 minutes. :rolleyes:

I can hear it now..."Capay! capay! capay!" :furious3:

bigmarco
30th May 2012, 01:51
WOW. Big Marco will have a heart attack watching this.....

I promise never to moan about punters standing to close to the edge of the platform again. Great video wouldn't mind swapping jobs for a week. I've only used the LRT in manila which is nicely air conditioned and clean.

grahamw48
30th May 2012, 09:59
The old Manila to Naga (and originally to Legaspi) train only went about 25mph of course, mainly due to the horrendous state of the track, and the fact that standard gauge rolling stock had been adapted to run on narrow gauge track.....about 3ft I'd say, from memory.
http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/2194/philsrail.jpg

Quite a roller coaster ride, even at that speed. :BouncyHappy:

There was also a line going north to Angeles City many years ago, the remnants of which were still in place when I first lived there in 1990.

fred
31st May 2012, 02:52
I promise never to moan about punters standing to close to the edge of the platform again.About two months ago a drunk fell asleep on that line near My mother in laws house in Quezon province.. Talk about being legless!!
Apparently,it did hurt in the morning!
(He is still alive but not a leg to stand on)

Korinai
31st May 2012, 04:23
wow...well traveled in Philippines.
Im from Naga City too, I smiled when I read your post here :)
That's some part of province life in Philippines. But the city is totally different now, I must say.

good day:)

grahamw48
31st May 2012, 10:20
I was married to a lady from Ragay for 15 years. :)

At first there was no road to Ragay of course...just the railway going through the town.

Everything came on the train (or by sea), even the one or two Jeepneys that were in the town when I first went there (1990) were originally brought there on the train .

Now of course the 'new' national highway runs next to the town on its way to Naga City and also a university has been built there.

Korinai
31st May 2012, 10:45
oh very nice,. Ragay is in a nearby town:)
They reuse train as mode of transportation just recently. Mostly bus or airplane are most commonly used to travel specially going to Manila. Much improvement, I may say.
Im enjoying this site, I got to interact with different people :D