PDA

View Full Version : 'Graduates who come to the UK will do anything to pay the rent'

joebloggs
4th June 2012, 00:15
Hardship at home has made Spanish fastest-growing group of foreign workers in the UK

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/jun/03/spanish-graduates-come-to-uk

grahamw48
4th June 2012, 01:20
Great, another influx of people who may be qualified on paper, but can't speak the language.

Sure, let's give them priority over our own kids, or some of OUR unemployed who simply need some re-training or are being discriminated against because of age. :NoNo:

bigmarco
4th June 2012, 08:57
This is so wrong. People being allowed to move around europe like this is a joke. I sympathise with their plight but they are only adding to our problems.

joebloggs
4th June 2012, 09:12
why didn't the EU commission make sure that any country that wanted to join the EU had a standard of living equal to those already in the EU, so there wouldn't be a mass movement of people going to the richer countries:NoNo:.

first the polish came, then those from the Baltics, Bulgaria and Romania , and now the french and Spanish :doh

stevewool
4th June 2012, 10:22
hay ho, will there be cheap places to buy and live your life out in there country, i dont think so

grahamw48
4th June 2012, 11:08
We've all seen the nightmares expats have ended up in when THINKING they'd bought property in Spain. :rolleyes:

After over 40 years of so-called 'harmonisation' across Europe, the EU is still a bloody joke, and the joke is on US. :angry:

BriaNoreen
11th June 2012, 06:13
This is so wrong. People being allowed to move around europe like this is a joke. I sympathise with their plight but they are only adding to our problems.

Besides the human right to simply move around - and the cultural enrichment across borders that occurs - the labour flow also makes it affordable for businesses to hire, which means affordable goods and services, and wages don't hyperinflate either, so it's a sound monetary policy despite the collateral that causes controversy. It's a very necessary and a very positive thing bigmarco. The protectionisms of old did not work - let us not look back. I'm appalled enough by May's Nazi-esque policies of late.

lastlid
11th June 2012, 07:01
I saw my previous employer actively seeking out graduates from eastern europe in an attempt to be more competitive in a cut throat market. But this led to less recruitment from within the UK graduate pool. As Graham says, this could / did also lead to language issues in a sphere where communication was paramount.

I think there needs to be a balance between cultural enrichment across borders etc etc on the one hand and looking after the UK population on the other.

deeen
11th June 2012, 14:16
I would like to see us outside the EU, then we could choose our immigrants from the EU in the same way as we choose our immigrants from the rest of the world. To pick a random example from above, I see no reason why Bulgarians should have preference over Filipinos, for instance.

Arthur Little
11th June 2012, 14:31
We've all seen the nightmares expats have ended up in when THINKING they'd bought property in Spain. :rolleyes:

:gp:, Graham ... I wonder if John Carr STILL believes the "grass is greener" over there?

joebloggs
12th June 2012, 02:43
:gp:, Graham ... I wonder if John Carr STILL believes the "grass is greener" over there?

i dont think he's been on here for a while, hope hes ok