PDA

View Full Version : Banana Sauce

lastlid
9th June 2012, 20:11
My wife used it in a marinade a while back but until today I hadn't really tried it as a conventional sauce and therefore had no idea what it was actually like. When she first mentioned it I took it to be an alternative to chocolate sauce to be drizzled over ice cream. :icon_lol:

Anyhow, to my surprise it tasted great with our home built hamburgers. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

We had sourced (excuse the Arthur Little style pun) an authentic bottle from our Asian store here. 550 grams for 99p which seems like a good deal. I did wonder about the ingredients, as in why was it red when it was banana sauce? But I gather it is the colouring that does it.

grahamw48
9th June 2012, 22:01
Do you mean 'Katsup' ?

We just used it as normal Tomato sauce when living in the Phils....one reason being it was half the price of the pukka stuff. :)

lastlid
9th June 2012, 22:30
Do you mean 'Katsup' ?

We just used it as normal Tomato sauce when living in the Phils....one reason being it was half the price of the pukka stuff. :)

That's what the wife was saying. Its cheaper than tomato ketchup there...

RickyR
9th June 2012, 23:57
Banana Katsup
Sprite
Chilli
Garlic
Onion
Sugar

= A good recipe for Philippine BBQ Marinade.

However odd it sounds, it does end up being very tasty. It's best if left with the meat in overnight.

Terpe
10th June 2012, 09:20
Banana Katsup
Sprite
Chilli
Garlic
Onion
Sugar

= A good recipe for Philippine BBQ Marinade.

However odd it sounds, it does end up being very tasty. It's best if left with the meat in overnight.

Yep, agreed. We also use just the same.
Well almost................my catering director insists on 7UP rather than sprite:D

She also adds 7UP whenever she cooks shrimp :Erm:

Always wondered why 7UP (or sprite) is often used.

Purely as a sauce/ketchup I personally prefer to use Heinz Tomato Ketchup. I always buy the organic type these days as I find it closest to the taste I remember when I was young :rolleyes:

grahamw48
10th June 2012, 09:54
We couldn't afford Tomato Sauce when I was young. :cwm3:

lastlid
10th June 2012, 10:37
Always wondered why 7UP (or sprite) is often used.

Yes. It potentially opens up the door for some other classics like Irn Bru etc etc :icon_lol:

grahamw48
10th June 2012, 11:05
Tizer, Dandelion & Burdock ? :Erm:

Moy
10th June 2012, 15:52
red sauce..brown sauce..english sauce, proper sauce:laugher::icon_sorry::doh:cwm24:whatever they call it here:action-smiley-081::icon_lol: i am big fan of my own pinoy sauces:icon_lol::Rasp:

http://lhnewsome.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/banana-ketchup.jpg

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4v8h45v8L1qiwcovo1_500.jpg

grahamw48
10th June 2012, 16:01
I'm fond of saucy Pinays too. :D

lastlid
10th June 2012, 16:26
This was the stuff.....:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Moy
10th June 2012, 16:28
I'm fond of saucy Pinays too. :D
:laugher: i know what u mean cheeky :action-smiley-081::Rasp::cwm24:graham crackers
:laugher:

lastlid
10th June 2012, 20:04
Saucy....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2hgAsi8Ae4

sars_notd_virus
11th June 2012, 10:44
Anyhow, to my surprise it tasted great with our home built hamburgers. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I am using the same ketsup(UFC) for all my marinades:hubbahubba:

grahamw48
11th June 2012, 15:24
HOME BUILT hamburgers ?

How big ARE they ? :icon_lol:

Terpe
11th June 2012, 19:38
http://filipinaroses.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6481&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1339341969

Ah, I see now. That's the same stuff we use for BBQ marinades. Especially for Pork.
Sometimes we add a little soy sauce and a small amount of brown sugar.
That's not the same stuff we use as a ketchup.

Have you tried making burgers with 50/50 pork and beef mixed with an egg and some milk?
Worth a try lastlid:xxgrinning--00xx3:

:hubbahubba:

lastlid
11th June 2012, 20:07
We used Tesco beefburgers. Cooked them in the George Foreman grill. Stuck them in a bun with sliced cheese and fresh tomato and then added a splash of UFC Banana Sauce inside the burger. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
11th June 2012, 20:21
We used Tesco beefburgers. Cooked them in the George Foreman grill. Stuck them in a bun with sliced cheese and fresh tomato and then added a splash of UFC Banana Sauce inside the burger. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

You need to get your hands "dirty" to get that Michelin star flavour:D

grahamw48
11th June 2012, 21:00
I make my own burgers...half the price of shop-bought ones and I know what's in them. Put the extra ones in the freezer.

Made one lot of spicy Turkey burgers with peppers and onion and one lot of very spicy Beef burgers with peppers and onion.

My son loves them and the recipe is TOP SECRET ! :D

lastlid
12th June 2012, 11:04
You need to get your hands "dirty" to get that Michelin star flavour:D

I make my own burgers...half the price of shop-bought ones and I know what's in them. Put the extra ones in the freezer.

Made one lot of spicy Turkey burgers with peppers and onion and one lot of very spicy Beef burgers with peppers and onion.

We will graduate onto authentic home made burgers once Mrs Lastlid gets around to it. Easy does it.

Terpe
12th June 2012, 16:14
We will graduate onto authentic home made burgers once Mrs Lastlid gets around to it. Easy does it.

Could be a nice little earner to write an e-book called "Culture Shock! United Kingdom" as an accompaniment to the book "Culture Shock! Philippines" :D

:REGamblMoney01HL1:

lastlid
12th June 2012, 16:29
I think you are right. I think Graham would be able to knock together a great book in that genre......I can see it in Amazons listings now....

grahamw48
12th June 2012, 16:53
:icon_lol:

I suppose it would be a first....book written by lunatic. :D