PDA

View Full Version : New to UK, visiting the doctor?

Trefor
16th June 2012, 06:18
Hi.

If her ladyship falls ill and needs to see a doctor between arriving in the UK and getting her Spouse Visa what is the best course of action? Travel insurance from her home country?

Is the NHS 'available' for free once she gets her Spouse Visa?

Thanks.

Doc Alan
16th June 2012, 08:26
Possession of a settlement ( spouse or fiancée ) visa entitles you to free NHS care. Without such a visa it's more complicated (http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/healthcare_e/healthcare_help_with_health_costs_e/nhs_charges_for_people_from_abroad.htm ). I'm happy to see your fiancee now has her visa, congratulations !
There is no requirement to use insurance for medical care unless wishing private treatment. However, it may be hard to find an NHS dentist, as many offer only private treatment. This can be very expensive and an insurance policy taken out in the UK is worth considering.
No one should wait until they’re ill – or have an accident or toothache - to register with a doctor or dentist.
Here's how to register :-

You - or your fiancee - need to choose the surgery you want to register with and make sure that it covers your area. You can do this by searching online ( http://www.nhs.uk/servicedirectories/Pages/ServiceSearch.aspx ).

Visit the surgery you want to register with, and ask if they will take you on. Don’t be intimidated by the GP receptionist, who will be your first contact at the surgery. It’s likely they will accept you, or give a good reason for refusal ( such as numbers of patients in their practice ). If they agree, they will ask you to fill in a registration form. They may want to see proof of your identity, like a passport, and proof of your address, like a utility bill.
In your own interest you should take with you all medical and dental records you may have, including X Rays, medications and vaccination details. There is particular concern about tuberculosis ( TB ) at present ( see http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php/31919-TB-curable-but-a-long-way-to-go.?p=366821#post366821 ) and whether or not you have had BCG vaccination for TB. The GP practice will then send your details to the health authority, who will write to you to confirm that you're registered with the practice, and allocate an NHS number ( not the same as a National Insurance number ).
Even if you have no apparent health problems, and are feeling well, it’s worth having a free NHS check now. The check takes less than 20 minutes, and assesses your risk of developing heart disease, type 2 diabetes, kidney disease and stroke. Such health checks are offered in any case to people registered with a GP from the age of 40.

tone
16th June 2012, 18:51
I'd just add to the expert info from Alan that we had no issues really, my wife fell pregnant before we did her FLR and the care from our PCT has been great.

I've just added the wife to my private scheme through work as a backup if there are complications during the childbirth but my feelings are it won't be needed having met a midwife.
The free dental during pregnancy is as it would be for any other European!

Cheers
Tone

Trefor
18th June 2012, 20:19
Thank you Doc Alan and Tone (and Doc, don't worry, we're not afraid of the doctor's :-) ).