PDA

View Full Version : Are we on the right track? Marrying in uk...help!

jlags90
17th June 2012, 14:54
It's almost two months since I arrived in UK and lived with my fiancé and WE feel the need to get started planning for our wedding. And yes, gone are those worry free days when I just sat down all day enjoying the new life as I start worrying about the wedding. Folks, it's not what you think, we would not have the most expensive wedding as we can't afford that:laugher:. My worry is about not doing the right thing for the marriage to take place. lol.

I have already made enquiries at our Local Registry Office and the staff I have spoken to on the phone told me that they can't book us the APPOINTMENT TO GIVE NOTICE TO MARRY in their Office because I AM SUBJECT TO IMMIGRATION CONTROL (not an EU National etc. - I have told I hold Philippine Passport and I have a fiancée visa). WE need to book the appointment to give NOTICE TO MARRY at LEEDS REGISTRY OFFICE which they claimed as a DESIGNATED OFFICE TO BOOK NOTICE TO MARRY WHEN EITHER PARTNER is subject to Immigration Control. IS THIS ALWAYS THE CASE? We will book the appointment tomorrow and hopefully get a slot for JULY 18TH.

What shall happen after we attend the appointment? Will we get a certificate-like Notice to Marry 15 days after the appointment or not?

We are planning to have the marriage in Lytham, St. Annes. What fees should we expect at Lytham Registry Office? What sort of documents do we need to bring in order to book a day for marriage?

I would be glad if you could help me on this matter (which I know you will).

In short, my worry is all about getting married and saying "I do" not with the expensive wedding stuff coz we are certain that we will just spend a hundred quid for everything.lol;)

Jona

lastlid
17th June 2012, 15:51
Lytham St Annes. Just across the water from us. :xxgrinning--00xx3: Unfortunately I dont know much about Fiancee visa related stuff so I cant help you. But it seems crazy that though you are here on a Fiancee visa, that they are being awkward.

hawk
17th June 2012, 19:32
your first call should be to talk with the reg office they are the ones that will tell you cost of the fees you will pay to them when you go take passport and any docs like birth cert visa info once you reg for marriege after waiting period you can get married as soon as they have a date for you

grahamw48
17th June 2012, 19:48
£100 ?

Hmm... almost within my budget, that. :Erm:

Terpe
17th June 2012, 20:50
Jlags,
Don't take this the wrong way, but you both need to get a wiggle on here and get organised. The Finace(e) visa is valid for 6 months and unless you have good reason and request an extension in good time you need to get married and apply for FLR.

There shouldn't be any problems fixing up a registry office wedding and going through with it. Just a few witnesses required and that's it.

Worst case scenario is a last minute long drive up to Gretna Green:D

Iani
17th June 2012, 21:34
Hmmm I know your local registry office, and I'm surprised if they say you have to marry in Leeds, since I know not so long ago there was a bust at that registry office of a bogus ceremony.

Maybe the clerk there was mistaken, perhaps get your fiance to phone them, him being the local, and there will be no chance of him getting confused by jargon.
I'd go along myself and ask in my lunch break, as I work very near it, but it needs to be you two.

Lytham huh? Jlags, please don't judge the rest of the UK on what you might see in Blackpool :icon_lol:

lastlid
17th June 2012, 21:39

Lytham huh? Jlags, please don't judge the rest of the UK on what you might see in Blackpool :icon_lol:

Lythm isnt Blackpool....:)

http://www.aboutbritain.com/towns/lytham-st-annes.asp

grahamw48
17th June 2012, 21:57
Ayup, that's a posh place innit ? :Erm:

I went there to look at a Cortina Estate a couple of years ago. Looked pretty posh to me. :)

lastlid
17th June 2012, 22:32
Ayup, that's a posh place innit ? :Erm:

................. Looked pretty posh to me. :)

I believe so. It is contrastingly different to Blackpool...

deeen
17th June 2012, 22:33
Cortina estate? Is that still council? :cwm3:

grahamw48
17th June 2012, 23:48
How did you know that ? :D

Dedworth
18th June 2012, 00:20
Cortina estate? Is that still council? :cwm3:

Depends if its a Mark 3 or Mark 4

grahamw48
18th June 2012, 00:23
Mk3.

My Mk4 needed a bit of minor panel-beating. :cwm3:

http://img353.imageshack.us/img353/8176/mycortyestate3fw.jpg

lastlid
18th June 2012, 06:46
I had a Mk 4 (I think) estate about 15/20 years ago. Same colour as the one in the pic. It was old even then.

Lancashirelad
18th June 2012, 07:17
I dont think you will be able to Wed in Lytham its not a designated office :(
found this on he web, hope it helps. Our marriage was in Church so the rules were different ( easier I think)-

If one or both of you are foreign nationals and subject to immigration control you have to give notice at a designated register office able to take notices for foreign nationals.

If I am a foreign national how do I get married or form a civil partnership?

If you or your partner are subject to immigration control, you need to give notice of a marriage or civil partnership.

You can do this at one of the 76 designated register offices in England and Wales. You must attend the register office together.

You will be asked for documentary evidence for some information, for example your nationality, so you will need to take your passport. You will also need evidence of the ending of any previous marriage or civil partnership.

If you want to come to the UK to marry or register a civil partnership, you will need to get the correct entry clearance. You will need this before you travel to the UK.

You are not subject to immigration control if you have the right of abode in the UK, or are one of the following:

a British citizen
an EEA national - see below for list of EEA countries
a member of visiting forces from NATO and Commonwealth countries
a diplomat that is not subject to immigration control

Religious marriage ceremonies

If you wish to be married in the Church of England – and generally you will be able to do so only if you or your partner lives in the parish – you should first speak to the vicar. If the vicar is able to marry you, he or she will arrange for the banns to be called on three Sundays before the day of your ceremony or for a common licence to be issued. The marriage will also be registered by the vicar and there is generally no need to involve the local superintendent registrar.

If you wish to marry by religious ceremony other than in the Church of England or Church in Wales, you should first arrange to see the minister or other person in charge of marriages at that establishment, which must normally be in the registration district where you or your partner lives. It will also be necessary for both of you to give formal notice of marriage to the superintendent registrar of the district(s) where you live. A registrar may also need to be booked.

jlags90
18th June 2012, 16:07
Hmmm I know your local registry office, and I'm surprised if they say you have to marry in Leeds, since I know not so long ago there was a bust at that registry office of a bogus ceremony.

Maybe the clerk there was mistaken, perhaps get your fiance to phone them, him being the local, and there will be no chance of him getting confused by jargon.
I'd go along myself and ask in my lunch break, as I work very near it, but it needs to be you two.

Thanks for the offer Iani. We (i said we because I was in-charge of giving the details to the staff on the phone and answer all the questions in order to be booked and my fiance did the easiest stuff ---giving debit card details..-joint effort..) actually have booked for the appointment to give notice to marry in Leeds. Well, that bust bogus might be the reason why they have become a DESIGNATED REGISTRY then. lol. We booked for July 16th --- we'll we still have time to turn back and not show during the appointment..lol

We have been to Blackpool... How would you expect me to judge it then?

jlags90
18th June 2012, 16:11
I dont think you will be able to Wed in Lytham its not a designated office :(
found this on he web, hope it helps. Our marriage was in Church so the rules were different ( easier I think)-

We have told the staff when we booked the appointment that we are intending to marry in Lytham. And I do not think they have a problem with it. They did not say that the MARRIAGE HAS TO TAKE PLACE IN A DESIGNATED PLACE ---they just have a DESIGNATED PLACE FOR BOOKING AN APPOINTMENT TO GIVE NOTICE TO MARRY. as quoted from your source.. "If one or both of you are foreign nationals and subject to immigration control you have to give notice at a designated register office able to take notices for foreign nationals."

Thanks for the help Iani... are you in Hali also?

jlags90
18th June 2012, 16:15
Jlags,
Don't take this the wrong way, but you both need to get a wiggle on here and get organised. The Finace(e) visa is valid for 6 months and unless you have good reason and request an extension in good time you need to get married and apply for FLR.

There shouldn't be any problems fixing up a registry office wedding and going through with it. Just a few witnesses required and that's it.

Worst case scenario is a last minute long drive up to Gretna Green:D

Thanks Terpe... I have started to sort out the documents we need in order to lodge FLR the day after the wedding. We will just be waiting for the "Marriage Certificate", then the application would be ready to go!

jlags90
18th June 2012, 16:17
£100 ?

Hmm... almost within my budget, that. :Erm:

Hahaha! Is it graham? No guests, just a sumptuous meal for the two witnesses. The bride and groom, will just have coffee.. lol

grahamw48
18th June 2012, 16:24
Welcome to Yorkshire...land of the tight-fisted. :D

Arthur Little
18th June 2012, 17:13

:rolleyes: ... here's me thinking it was only the Scots :Kilt::Kilt: who were "canny"!

lastlid
18th June 2012, 19:02
Thanks for the offer Iani. We (i said we because I was in-charge of giving the details to the staff on the phone and answer all the questions in order to be booked and my fiance did the easiest stuff ---giving debit card details..-joint effort..) actually have booked for the appointment to give notice to marry in Leeds. Well, that bust bogus might be the reason why they have become a DESIGNATED REGISTRY then. lol. We booked for July 16th --- we'll we still have time to turn back and not show during the appointment..lol

No mean feat with the local dialect to contend with....:icon_lol:

Iani
18th June 2012, 19:20

Weeellll, ok I shall be diplomatic. Blackpool has a reputation of being as rough.What you see in Blackpool is very much what you get.
In all fairness, it is a place you can really have fun - as long as you keep your wits about you and avoid what might look like trouble. It is though a bit run down, and there are many of a troublemaking element who go there.

It has been said, Blackpool is a seaside town you are more likely to have someone deck you with a chair than offer you a deckchair.

Thanks for the help Iani... are you in Hali also?

I certainly am, but don't tell anyone :icon_lol:

jlags90
18th June 2012, 21:14

Thanks Graham... :NoNo: Should be (i mean, no choice) when the money on hand is thin... lol

jlags90
18th June 2012, 21:16
No mean feat with the local dialect to contend with....:icon_lol:

Oh, apart from the local jargon, i find it difficult to understand the Yorkshire Accent... I wish it was "posh"...

jlags90
18th June 2012, 21:19
Weeellll, ok I shall be diplomatic. Blackpool has a reputation of being as rough.What you see in Blackpool is very much what you get.
In all fairness, it is a place you can really have fun - as long as you keep your wits about you and avoid what might look like trouble. It is though a bit run down, and there are many of a troublemaking element who go there.

It has been said, Blackpool is a seaside town you are more likely to have someone deck you with a chair than offer you a deckchair.

I certainly am, but don't tell anyone :icon_lol:

Lol.. We did not stay in Blackpool for too long.. We just rode the tram from Starr Gate to North Pier, then walked back from North Pier to Starr Gate... We saved money! :laugher:

You should tell me where in Yorkshire you are so I can talk to your (gf/wife/fiancee) and go hunting for dried fish...

grahamw48
18th June 2012, 21:24
I'm told I'm 'posh', but actually I just try to speak clear correct English.

Anyone from outside Yorkshire would immediately recognise the accent I'm sure. :)

jlags90
18th June 2012, 21:49
I'm told I'm 'posh', but actually I just try to speak clear correct English.

Anyone from outside Yorkshire would immediately recognise the accent I'm sure. :)

The variety of accents in UK interests me. It's just like in the Philippines where dialects are spoken in different manners (this one just use one language but different manner of saying). I often talk to people on phone or face to face, then ask my fiance "WHAT ACCENT WAS THAT?". I am still glad I have a next door neighbour who has a posh accent... the clearer, the better...Nevertheless, I would like to practice the Yorkshire accent so when I go back to PL I could teach (the same set of students WHO ARE VERY PARTICULAR WITH THE PRONUNCIATION), my students to speak English the Yorkshire weh... (i mean way..) :Jump: