PDA

View Full Version : CNI confusion!

bigtilly
26th June 2012, 07:51
Hi,
I am applying for my CNI here in the UK and apparently I will have to convert this to a more acceptable local version at the British Embassy in Manila. Does anyone know if I can do this on the day of my arrival in September or, do I have to be in the Phils for a certain time before I can apply? Also, does anyone know if the UK Consulate in Cebu could do this as well?

There is so much conflicting info on t'internet!

Many thanks.

sheldon1
26th June 2012, 08:05
Hi. I went to the consular in angeles city pampanga to get my cni done. However i believe local consulars have now been withdrawn. Contact the consular dept at the embassy in manila. Make an appointment remember you have to give two weeks notice and then give them 5 days of dates that are suitable to you and then they email you back with the date that suits them.
Take all your paperwork and your british cni. What will happen then is they will convert that to the filipino cni (called legal capacity) it takes about 21 days. I cant remember the cost but its not much. And then once you have received it you can get married. We only wanted a quick wedding we went to city hall in angeles city. We were married within one week. The whole process is very simple. Try the consulate in cebu. But i am almost certain its been discontinued now. Hope that sheds some light for you,
sheldon

hawk
26th June 2012, 08:17
this is what i did as i just got married last month i got uk cni as with you i was confused i got appointment at embassy but didnt go as i found out that all i needed to do was go to nso office and apply for local one i went to san fernando have your girl go to her local nso office and ask if they will accept your cni from uk they did with us and i saved alot of time i was told you only need to get local cni from embassy if you dont have one from uk this was told by the staff at nso office you got time to have your girl check this out send a copy off your passport and uk cni bith cert and any devorce papers if needed and she can take this with her to the office your not loseing anything as with me and it all turned out ok good luck

jonnijon
26th June 2012, 09:46
Yes you can go to Cebu to exchange your CNI. You need to e-mail for an appointment. Also you can get your Exchange done on the same day, takes about an hour.

Terpe
26th June 2012, 09:54
Hi,
I am applying for my CNI here in the UK and apparently I will have to convert this to a more acceptable local version at the British Embassy in Manila. Does anyone know if I can do this on the day of my arrival in September or, do I have to be in the Phils for a certain time before I can apply? Also, does anyone know if the UK Consulate in Cebu could do this as well?

Many thanks.

There's plenty of conflicting information here on the forum too :doh

It is an often discussed and often misunderstood subject for sure.

Plenty of people have their own interpretation about the rules and also about what can be done as a short cut.

Please do be informed that the official processes outlined and followed by both the UK and Philippines authorities are the ONLY formal and official guidance.

I would very strongly urge you to follow official process. Following any other route based on anecdotal evidence is taken totally at your own risk. Personally I think these kinds of issues are much too serious to take risks with.

Here is some useful official general information about overseas marriages and civil partnerships (http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/your-trip/overseas-weddings)

and some CNI information here (http://ukinthephilippines.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/living-in-the-philippines/how-to-apply-for-a-cni) including the British Embassy appointment system and how to apply

The UK CNI is available from your local registry office. It takes 22 days from time of application. It's 21 days for the 'bans'.
You need to present this UK document to the British Embassy in the Philippines to be issued a Philippine version called a Certificate of Legal Capacity to Marry.
This certificate is needed for the application of a marriage license.

It has also now been reported that you will be required to obtain your own CENOMAR (Certificate of No Marriage) from NSO (National Statistics Office) so you would be well advised to include this contingency as well.

lastlid
26th June 2012, 10:02
There's plenty of conflicting information here on the forum too :doh

It is an often discussed and often misunderstood subject for sure.

Plenty of people have their own interpretation about the rules and also about what can be done as a short cut.

Please do be informed that the official processes outlined and followed by both the UK and Philippines authorities are the ONLY formal and official guidance.

I would very strongly urge you to follow official process. Following any other route based on anecdotal evidence is taken totally at your own risk. Personally I think these kinds of issues are much too serious to take risks with.

Here is some useful official general information about overseas marriages and civil partnerships (http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/your-trip/overseas-weddings)

and some CNI information here (http://ukinthephilippines.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/living-in-the-philippines/how-to-apply-for-a-cni) including the British Embassy appointment system and how to apply

The UK CNI is available from your local registry office. It takes 22 days from time of application. It's 21 days for the 'bans'.
You need to present this UK document to the British Embassy in the Philippines to be issued a Philippine version called a Certificate of Legal Capacity to Marry.
This certificate is needed for the application of a marriage license.

It has also now been reported that you will be required to obtain your own CENOMAR (Certificate of No Marriage) from NSO (National Statistics Office) so you would be well advised to include this contingency as well.

It seemed to me that when I visited the UK embassy in Manila to enquire about this they made it clear that the only route was to exchange my UK CNI at the embassy. Lest problems occur at the point of visa application. Maybe they were misinformed?

Steve.r
26th June 2012, 10:09
It seemed to me that when I visited the UK embassy in Manila to enquire about this they made it clear that the only route was to exchange my UK CNI at the embassy. Lest problems occur at the point of visa application. Maybe they were misinformed?

We can ONLY recommend the offical line as advised by the UKBA/Britiah Embassy for the route you take when getting your local CNI.

As Terpe has already indicated, those who follow these hear-say ways do so at their own risk. You may well be able to do that without going to the Embassy, but later on when trying to get your visa papers together it might have knock on effects. Until it becomes official and published please follow the route Terpe has linked to.

Rory
26th June 2012, 10:42
Hi Bigtilly and welcome to the forum,

I got married in Cebu last month and i exchanged my UK CNI for a Philippine version at the Consulate at Cebu. I emailed the consulate 2 weeks before i was going to fly out and asked for a date. The first email i received back was this one even though i gave dates i would like to exchange.

Mr McBurney

Thank you for your enquiry.
Please visit the website below, and the attachment above, for requirements for marriage in the Philippines.
You will need your current original British passport with one photocopy each of the following pages: inside cover; details page; page showing latest visa arrival stamp; emergencies page.
Both you and the person you are marrying need CENOMARs from the National Statistics Office. These must not be over 3 months old at the time of applying for a CNI. You each need an original, together with the receipts, plus a good photocopy of each CENOMAR.
1. Make sure to bring all the required documents based on the CNI checklist on the website: http://ukinthephilippines.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/living-in-the-philippines/how-to-apply-for-a-cni/.
We need all original documents with one good photocopy of each one.
2. You will need to submit your documents as well as your fiancé/fiancée’s requirements as on the checklist.Your application may not be accepted if you submit incomplete documents, this may also cause delay to your application. We will assess the application and check supporting documents only after receipt of payment.
3. Please pay the exact fee/s for your application (in Philippine pesos only):
Fees No. 12 and 13 to apply for notice of marriage and certificate of no impediment
Fee No. 13 to apply for local certificate of no impediment (CNI) in exchange for one issued by a UK registrar.
You may find the current Consular fees list on the website http://ukinthephilippines.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/living-in-the-philippines/how-to-apply-for-a-cni/ .
Fees are non-refundable.
5. The CNI should be collected in person by the applicant(s) or their authorised representative, it should not be sent by post or courier to any address.
If you are exchanging the UK CNI for the locally accepted one this is available within an hour of your visit to this consulate, providing all the documentation is correct. Please note that it takes 10 days to apply for the local licence once you have presented the locally accepted certificate of no impediment to the registrar.
When you have the correct complete documents you may apply for an appointment. Office hours are weekday mornings only.
Moya Jackson | Honorary British Consul | British Consulate-Cebu | Villa Terrace, Greenhills Road, Casuntingan, Mandaue City, Cebu 6014 | Tel/ Fax: 0063 32 238 9055 | Email: Moya.Jackson-HonCon@fconet.fco.gov.uk | Website: www.ukinthephilippines.fco.gov.uk HELP FOR BRITISH NATIONALS To know more about what assistance the Consular staff can provide to British nationals in the Philippines, please visit our website http://ukinthephilippines.fco.gov.uk/en/ or click http://ukinthephilippines.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/
P Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail

I replied back 2 days later when my then fiancee had received my Cenomor in the post. I got the exact day and time i wanted but be very careful if you have a tight schedule, the consulate and his wife are the same as any other couple, they go on holiday and sometimes will not be there. If i had arrived the week after and asked for a date i would have been out of luck as they would not be there.
Also make sure you have ALL your documents and your fiancee's documents and photo copies as you will not get the Philippine CNI if you have anything missing.
My wife forgot her ID and we turned back when we were nearly there :NoNo:

The Consulate at Cebu is a little out of the way and we drove passed it twice and only make it in time for the appointment so leave plenty of time to find it.
The cost for the exchange was not bad if i recall, maybe 4 or 5k

lastlid
26th June 2012, 10:46
We can ONLY recommend the offical line as advised by the UKBA/Britiah Embassy for the route you take when getting your local CNI.

As Terpe has already indicated, those who follow these hear-say ways do so at their own risk. You may well be able to do that without going to the Embassy, but later on when trying to get your visa papers together it might have knock on effects. Until it becomes official and published please follow the route Terpe has linked to.

Quite. Exactly the point I was making. This is the point that the embassy appeared to make to me.

But having said that I was also acknowledging that Hawk may well have found an alternative route.

When I got married I think we followed an unconventional route yet it worked. And for me that isn't hearsay.

If it was me, I would email and phone the embassy. I found that this was the best source of information, straight from the horses mouth without any hearsay to cloud the issue. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Steve.r
26th June 2012, 10:56
When I got married I think we followed an unconventional route yet it worked. And for me that isn't hearsay.

For clarity though, and for everyone's benefit, we cannot as a forum recommend 'alternative routes' it only makes a misty road even more foggy. There is too much 'mis-information' out there. Rory's post pretty much nails the subject, thanks Rory :xxgrinning--00xx3:

RickyR
26th June 2012, 11:23
The Honourary Consul in Cebu is Moya Jackson, and she is most definately, as Rory points out, able to convert the CNI. Appointments with her are necessary, and she does go out of the country on occasions.
She operates out of the club house on her subdivision, which is near Banilad, approximately 10 minutes from the Mactan Bridge in Cebu. Most taxi drivers known the subdivision, if not its on google maps so you can print it out.

bigtilly
26th June 2012, 15:57
Many thanks for all the replies. I really appreciate your time and trouble. All this is like living in Thailand again and trying to get useful info about visas!

It is looking like the Cebu route is most likely as I will be in Dipolog, Mindanao, and only a short plane or ferry ride away. My window of opportunity in Manila is very limited.

Thanks again, Bill

bigmarco
26th June 2012, 21:25
For clarity though, and for everyone's benefit, we cannot as a forum recommend 'alternative routes' it only makes a misty road even more foggy. There is too much 'mis-information' out there. Rory's post pretty much nails the subject, thanks Rory :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I thought the idea of a forum was for everyone to share their experiences whether they be conventional or not. I value the advice of some of our experts here,but am always interested to hear the experiences of others.

lastlid
26th June 2012, 21:29
I thought the idea of a forum was for everyone to share their experiences whether they be conventional or not. I value the advice of some of our experts here,but am always interested to hear the experiences of others.

I agree with that sentiment entirely.

andy222
26th June 2012, 22:17
This is how I did it.
I started the process of getting my CNI here, Obviously you know the date of the wedding. Book a appointment at the british embassy in Manila via e-mail. Always leave a couple of days spare in case anything goes wrong. In my case there was a typhoon on the day of our appointment and it was closed. (Had to go back the next day).. The best advice I can give is leave plenty of time anything can happen there. Good luck.

Steve.r
26th June 2012, 22:29

I agree with that sentiment entirely.

I am not going argue about it.

People come to the forum often very confused about the CORRECT route to take in a very complicated system. Be it the way you go about getting married or application for visas. As a team and forum we offer advice that is to the line of the UKBA directives, not hearsay, or shortcuts that have worked for some.. but will not necessarily work for all. Clouding the water is not helpful to those already confused.

You can of course express your views and experiences, I never said don't do that ...did I ?? :rolleyes:

lastlid
26th June 2012, 22:36
Personally, I hear what everyone has to say and then take it from there. But if I wanted to know UKBA directives then I would ask the UKBA.

Steve.r
26th June 2012, 22:40

Many thanks.
From the O/P

But if I wanted to know UKBA directives then I would ask the UKBA.

I rest my case:doh

hawk
26th June 2012, 22:53
as i stated i was married last month and we got a local cni from nso office in 3 days we paid the fee got the cert no problem as i said to my wife went to there office and explaned to them i had a uk cni can we still get married with this or will we need one from embassy they said no need so we got a cenomar after the 3 day wait applyed for marriage licence and married 15 days later i did get appointment with embassy but i did not go as it was ok you dont need take my advice but if phil nso office say you can marry without going to uk embassy and save money on there fees then why not its only a phone call to there local office to find out if all fails then go down the embassy route but thats what i did my partner lives in pampanga

bigmarco
26th June 2012, 22:58
From the O/P

I rest my case:doh

I'll go and sit in the corner of the classroom then :icon_lol::icon_lol:

Arthur Little
26th June 2012, 23:11
:anerikke: ... sure ... it's good to share different experiences relating to a multiplicity of topics. No-one would dispute that. :NoNo:

But, when it comes to life-changing events - such as applying for Settlement Visas - then it's vitally IMPORTANT the information we share with those who join forums like OURS is based on up to date facts "hot off the press" - as opposed to an "I did this ... yet someone else did that" approach.

Here - in order to avoid confusion :23_111_9[1]: - we aim to GET IT RIGHT FIRST TIME to the best of our abilities and in accordance with the latest updates - be they from the British Embassy or the UKBA ... as my friend and fellow Mod, Steve has explained. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

No offence intended. :nono-1-1:

Arthur Little
27th June 2012, 00:28
Many thanks for all the replies. I really appreciate your time and trouble.

:) No trouble, Bill ... we're glad you found the information you've been given so far, to be helpful. However, should you need further assistance, please simply ask.

Meanwhile, :welcomex: to our friendly site, and good luck with your plans. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

lastlid
27th June 2012, 06:55
as i stated i was married last month and we got a local cni from nso office in 3 days we paid the fee got the cert no problem as i said to my wife went to there office and explaned to them i had a uk cni can we still get married with this or will we need one from embassy they said no need so we got a cenomar after the 3 day wait applyed for marriage licence and married 15 days later i did get appointment with embassy but i did not go as it was ok you dont need take my advice but if phil nso office say you can marry without going to uk embassy and save money on there fees then why not its only a phone call to there local office to find out if all fails then go down the embassy route but thats what i did my partner lives in pampanga

I would say that for anyone curious about Hawk's route, all they need do is give the Embassy a call or pay them a visit. In our case we found out what we needed to know by visiting the embassy. At the end of the day, if Hawk has an NSO issued marriage certificate then thats all he needs, surely. And as far as I know, all that the embassy requires as part of the passport application. The advantage to this route goes without saying.

If in doubt, give them a shout. :D And for anything to do with a visa application, I also found VFS in Makati a good source of information.

rusty
27th June 2012, 12:57
Welcome to the forum Bill, I will be in Dipolog in a few weeks time for our family holiday. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
27th June 2012, 18:22
I would say that for anyone curious about Hawk's route, all they need do is give the Embassy a call or pay them a visit. In our case we found out what we needed to know by visiting the embassy. At the end of the day, if Hawk has an NSO issued marriage certificate then thats all he needs, surely. And as far as I know, all that the embassy requires as part of the passport application. The advantage to this route goes without saying.

If in doubt, give them a shout. :D And for anything to do with a visa application, I also found VFS in Makati a good source of information.

Agreed in any doubt just ask the authorities.

Without appearing to flog a dead horse this post is made "Just for the record."

The CNI is a Certificate of no impediment (sometimes called Legal Capacity to Marry)
This certificate provides evidence to officially authorised people that the marriage will be recognised as a valid marriage in both Philippines and the country of the foreign spouse.

A valid CNI is required by Philippine law.
The Foreign and Commonwealth Office states:-

You should check with the authorities in the country where you are marrying whether they can accept the CNI as issued by the UK registrar or if it must be exchanged for a locally acceptable version (ie. a certificate in the local language) issued by the British Embassy or Consulate

From Article 21 of The Family Code of The Philippines

When either or both of the contracting parties are citizens of a foreign country, it shall be necessary for them before a marriage license can be obtained, to submit a certificate of legal capacity to contract marriage, issued by their respective diplomatic or consular officials.

The highlighting was done by me and does not appear that way in the Family Code.

No offence intended