PDA

View Full Version : ARRIVING AT HEATHROW... what to do?

myliitlehaven07
26th June 2012, 13:04
can someone share the step by step guide soon as one arrives at the airport at heathrow?

Bluebirdjones
26th June 2012, 13:40
You depart the aircraft
You follow the signs for Arrivals / Immigration Control
You queue up in the "Non-EU" line
You present your passport
You answer a few questions
You get your passport stamped
You go & collect your luggage
You exit through the "Nothing to Declare" door
You look around & see your man waiting for you
You run into his arms

Eyes O'Donnell
26th June 2012, 14:05
You depart the aircraft
You run into his arms :xxgrinning--00xx3:

ghen
26th June 2012, 15:05
check which terminal you are arriving as heathrow is huge and it got 5 terminals:xxgrinning--00xx3:

goodluck and safe journey:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Trefor
26th June 2012, 16:44
As per above. So long as you have a Visa you should be fine just walking through. The UK Board people are much friendlier than many countries (US and Middle East for example).

BazJaz
26th June 2012, 17:55
Also worth having a quick look about your connecting airport as I guess you wont fly direct from Philippines to LHR, I fly Davao - Singapore - London when I return to UK, Singapore is huge but very well signposted and super clean and tidy :)

-sillybilly-
26th June 2012, 18:00
You depart the aircraft
You run into his arms

Hello! Hmmm....i can remember the first time I landed at Heathrow I had my xray film (massive film!) with me and they have to send off to this room so some radiologist will read it. Then you get your luggage and meet your man. :)

myliitlehaven07
26th June 2012, 20:15
Hello! Hmmm....i can remember the first time I landed at Heathrow I had my xray film (massive film!) with me and they have to send off to this room so some radiologist will read it. Then you get your luggage and meet your man. :)

ohhhh... YOU MEAN I HAVE TO BRING THE FILM with me? not just the REPORT made for it?!!i wont have a choice but to fold it?!!!

myliitlehaven07
26th June 2012, 20:16
check which terminal you are arriving as heathrow is huge and it got 5 terminals:xxgrinning--00xx3:

goodluck and safe journey:xxgrinning--00xx3:

am going to use thai airways for my flight, be stopping over at bankok with my sister for one day then off to london, i be on terminal 3. thanks :)

lordna
27th June 2012, 10:08
ohhhh... YOU MEAN I HAVE TO BRING THE FILM with me? not just the REPORT made for it?!!i wont have a choice but to fold it?!!!

Roll it and put in a cardboard tube. Then make sure you carry it in your hand luggage. We made the mistake of putting it in one of the suitcases and immmigration control wouldnt let us get the luggage so we could get it. Result was we had to wait to have another X-ray done.

melovesengland
29th June 2012, 16:42
Do not forget to fill up the landing form with your details whether it was given by the aircraft attendants or pick some infront of the immigration. Hand it over to the immigration officer that was assigned to you. xxx

RickyR
29th June 2012, 18:30
Some guidance here to help you, just follow the yellow signs and the general flow of people.

http://www.heathrowairport.com/heathrow-airport-guide/arriving-passengers

http://www.heathrowairport.com/heathrow-airport-guide/arriving-passengers/immigration-and-passports

http://www.heathrowairport.com/heathrow-airport-guide/arriving-passengers/uk-customs

The immigration will be fairly straightforward and they will may or may not ask you some questions. You are a non-EEA national.

The customs channel you go through is nothing to declare, don't go through the blue EU arrivals channel.

Remember that many food items are banned from being brought in from outside the EU such as meats or plants, however this rarely enforced.

febmary
29th June 2012, 23:21

I bring along my xray result and not the film. The immigration officer accepted it. Hope it does with u also when u arrive.

somebody
2nd July 2012, 17:32
Makes sure you have your hubbys and any other important contacts (ie your family or close friends numbers addresses with her) not just on a phone but in a contact book in case batteries fail etc.
I know he will be waiting there for you come hell or high water, but just in case make it easy for yourself just in case...

Before you fly as Ricky says go though all the things you have in your hand luggage and in your suitcase and i mean everything.

1. make sure you need the items brought over to the Uk and it is cost effective to carry over. Ie something heavy and bulky which can be bought here for not much it might be better to leave old one in phill and purchase here. If its electrical you might need adaptor as well.

2. Take sure regulations are not broken as being flagged as be caught carrying dairy products from outside the EU and its possible everytime you come though you might stand out and get stopped.

3. Make sure the nail sisscors and file are in hold luggage not hand luggage. Don't forget the rules on liquids in hand luggage?

4. Be patient it can take some time to go though the immigration make sure you have passport, your ticket and their filled in immigration slip with you. Also bring a PEN you need it at MNL, possibly at Thailand and you will need on way into UK. If you don't have a pen when on the way to UK or its not working simply ask the hostess or steward they should have one or will ask on your behalf also they should be able to assist if you need help filling in if nervous or simply sleepy.

5. Like others say the immigration officer should be polite and respectful to you this is not the Philippines where they can be rude as we all know. They may ask quite a few questions but be polite and friendly and they should in return. But do remember who your meeting :P where you will stay ie your hubbies address and remember to smile and show your full face to the officer all they are trying to do is their job and ensure your not a baddie.
If they have a strong accent just ask them to repeat the question again and say sorry i could not understand they will understand.
In all the times the Wife and I have used immigration into the UK we never met a bad one and infact most were really nice and happy to chat to someone especially on such a important chapter of your life.

Lastly remember it all as its part of lifes amazing adventure and soon will become a distant memory, my Wife entered via Heathrow (terminal 4 in 2005) she now works at Heathrow passing though departure and arrivals security every day sitting next to the Border patrol officers at break time:D

Ingats and Bon voyage po :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Brooksy
2nd July 2012, 18:55
Hi all (my first post!)

Can ask what this xray is for? My wife will be arriving at Manchester airport in the next month or so and I've been advised she may need to show a medical certificate, has anyone else been asked for one of these?

Also, are there any special documents you need upon exiting Manila? Is it just passport and CFO certificate + sticker.

Salamat,

Ian

myliitlehaven07
2nd July 2012, 21:36
Makes sure you have your hubbys and any other important contacts (ie your family or close friends numbers addresses with her) not just on a phone but in a contact book in case batteries fail etc.
I know he will be waiting there for you come hell or high water, but just in case make it easy for yourself just in case...

Before you fly as Ricky says go though all the things you have in your hand luggage and in your suitcase and i mean everything.

1. make sure you need the items brought over to the Uk and it is cost effective to carry over. Ie something heavy and bulky which can be bought here for not much it might be better to leave old one in phill and purchase here. If its electrical you might need adaptor as well.

2. Take sure regulations are not broken as being flagged as be caught carrying dairy products from outside the EU and its possible everytime you come though you might stand out and get stopped.

3. Make sure the nail sisscors and file are in hold luggage not hand luggage. Don't forget the rules on liquids in hand luggage?

4. Be patient it can take some time to go though the immigration make sure you have passport, your ticket and their filled in immigration slip with you. Also bring a PEN you need it at MNL, possibly at Thailand and you will need on way into UK. If you don't have a pen when on the way to UK or its not working simply ask the hostess or steward they should have one or will ask on your behalf also they should be able to assist if you need help filling in if nervous or simply sleepy.

5. Like others say the immigration officer should be polite and respectful to you this is not the Philippines where they can be rude as we all know. They may ask quite a few questions but be polite and friendly and they should in return. But do remember who your meeting :P where you will stay ie your hubbies address and remember to smile and show your full face to the officer all they are trying to do is their job and ensure your not a baddie.
If they have a strong accent just ask them to repeat the question again and say sorry i could not understand they will understand.
In all the times the Wife and I have used immigration into the UK we never met a bad one and infact most were really nice and happy to chat to someone especially on such a important chapter of your life.

Lastly remember it all as its part of lifes amazing adventure and soon will become a distant memory, my Wife entered via Heathrow (terminal 4 in 2005) she now works at Heathrow passing though departure and arrivals security every day sitting next to the Border patrol officers at break time:D

Ingats and Bon voyage po :xxgrinning--00xx3:

THANK YOU SO MUCH SOMEBDOY!! this thread and all the replies has put all my worries at ease! I am now due to fly out on Monday the 9th to bankok first then 10th to london :)) i paid my ticket cash so there will be no questioning at the airport! i am not sure though what i feel at the moment :((

somebody
3rd July 2012, 22:16
Walang Aunam po :) wow not long to go. Well from my Wife experiences the most important thing is to leave on good terms with everyone family and friends by that I mean take the time to say a few words to all if there is an uncle or Aunt that you have a minor argument with take time to try and say some words. Take as many photos as you can with all your loved ones, of favourite places and get them up on Facebook or whatever. It really helps with homesickness my wife was just before facebook and friendster really got going and she didn't have many photos she just had phone calls and ym it was quite tough but much easier now with skype etc.

Do try and get as many facebook contacts or ym contacts and mobile numbers as you can from all, so much easier than trying to do once in UK. If you got friends who work night shift or up early or late they might be handy friends if you ever feel lonely when much of Phill is asleep :)

Don't forget to get your Hair cut, coloured or whatever needed, get dentist to check teeth (most likely cheaper there)

Like i said before don't worry enjoy and take it all in this is one of the most exciting amazing times of your life soon you will be trudging round Tescos moaning at your Mahal in a cold wet uk summer :Rasp:

myliitlehaven07
8th July 2012, 08:15
Walang Aunam po :) wow not long to go. Well from my Wife experiences the most important thing is to leave on good terms with everyone family and friends by that I mean take the time to say a few words to all if there is an uncle or Aunt that you have a minor argument with take time to try and say some words. Take as many photos as you can with all your loved ones, of favourite places and get them up on Facebook or whatever. It really helps with homesickness my wife was just before facebook and friendster really got going and she didn't have many photos she just had phone calls and ym it was quite tough but much easier now with skype etc.

Do try and get as many facebook contacts or ym contacts and mobile numbers as you can from all, so much easier than trying to do once in UK. If you got friends who work night shift or up early or late they might be handy friends if you ever feel lonely when much of Phill is asleep :)

Don't forget to get your Hair cut, coloured or whatever needed, get dentist to check teeth (most likely cheaper there)

Like i said before don't worry enjoy and take it all in this is one of the most exciting amazing times of your life soon you will be trudging round Tescos moaning at your Mahal in a cold wet uk summer :Rasp:

hahhah thanks somebody my hubby actually works for TESCO :icon_lol::icon_lol: although he has gone to customer service in call center this time not in the store anymore :)) i already had my hair done and had my braces remove and it was a torture! Tomorrow am flying out :bigcry::bigcry: a life changing experience for me am only looking forward to having my husband with me after so many years of struggles without him.

CBM
8th July 2012, 10:33
Hi all (my first post!)

Can ask what this xray is for? My wife will be arriving at Manchester airport in the next month or so and I've been advised she may need to show a medical certificate, has anyone else been asked for one of these?

Also, are there any special documents you need upon exiting Manila? Is it just passport and CFO certificate + sticker.

Salamat,

Ian

TB is endemic in the Philippines.

CBM
8th July 2012, 10:36
One thing on leaving Manila; you will need to accomplish (Filipino English) / complete (British English) a departure card which you hand to Immigration with your passport and boarding card. The airline check in person should give you onw but very often they forget and these forms are not always easy to find, so be sure to ask for one at the check in desk.

somebody
8th July 2012, 11:57
hahhah thanks somebody my hubby actually works for TESCO :icon_lol::icon_lol: although he has gone to customer service in call center this time not in the store anymore :)) i already had my hair done and had my braces remove and it was a torture! Tomorrow am flying out :bigcry::bigcry: a life changing experience for me am only looking forward to having my husband with me after so many years of struggles without him.

Haha Brillant have a very safe Journey and its probably a good thing if you both stay on this Site as the first few years for sure once in the UK is full of Paperwork and things to do (But its worth :xxgrinning--00xx3: ) Ingat po