PDA

View Full Version : Email hacked

Steve.r
2nd July 2012, 08:38
Not sure how it happened, but it appears my email was hacked last night and at about 4am about 100 people on my contact list got a spam/virus email from me. :cwm23::cwm23:

I even did a full AVG sweep last night on both my laptop and my phone as well as an anti Malware scan. :doh So, should anyone get a mail from me today, just delete it please

KeithD
2nd July 2012, 09:13
You should always have at least 1 special character in your password, and 1 capital
##doggychockS
steve??R
filipinO!uk

The problem in some sites do not allow special characters, in that case you put a series of random letters/numbers at the end of your password that you can remember
doggychockSqwerty
steveR1999
filipinOukzxc

Steve.r
2nd July 2012, 09:48
I have a capital letter and a number, but no special character, I will change my password again I think. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

joebloggs
2nd July 2012, 10:59
sounds like a keylogger, or brute force attack

Doc Alan
2nd July 2012, 13:29
Thanks Steve :xxgrinning--00xx3: I received one of these e mails, it was easily recognised as spam because of the " nonsense " title, and deleted without opening the contents. Unusually - for me - it was on my gmail account ; I receive far more on my yahoo account.

KeithD
2nd July 2012, 15:27
sounds like a keylogger, or brute force attack

Brute force attacks don't usually do special characters, they have much easier targets.

Steve.r
2nd July 2012, 15:56
My friend in the States mailed me, she also got the email. She said she had the same from some friend of hers back a while, she said it was something to do with Facebook. That sort of struck a note, as yesterday, I downloaded the messenger thing from Facebook. I will dump it tonight when i get home. Maybe coincidence.... :Erm:

Arthur Little
2nd July 2012, 18:08
So, should anyone get a mail from me today, just delete it please.

Having just opened my email account for the first time today, I discovered the link you've mentioned ... and - in the light of your alert - promptly got rid of it, as duly directed. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Dedworth
2nd July 2012, 18:20
Was it Yahoomail Steve ?

Steve.r
2nd July 2012, 18:57
Was it Yahoomail Steve ?
From my hotmail Ded

Dedworth
2nd July 2012, 19:28
From my hotmail Ded

Steve - I had something similar happen last year with a seldom used 10 year old Yahoo.com address - someone got into the address book and started sending out spam, it went on for a few months until a friend told me. I changed password and deleted the address book

Steve.r
2nd July 2012, 20:10
I changed my password already. I hope that keeps it out :)

stevewool
2nd July 2012, 20:30
yes steve i received the email from you too, but you know how i am i dont open or reply to them for days, as alan knows too well:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Steve.r
2nd July 2012, 21:44
yes steve i received the email from you too, but you know how i am i dont open or reply to them for days, as alan knows too well:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:Just delete steve :xxgrinning--00xx3:

joebloggs
2nd July 2012, 22:04
roughly how many characters long was your password Steve ?

Steve.r
2nd July 2012, 22:59
roughly how many characters long was your password Steve ?9 with a capital and number within it.