PDA

View Full Version : Gated home or in the hills

stevewool
9th July 2012, 13:33
where do you think is best , a gated house wth the use of a pool and oter things a gaurd at the front gate and yes a fee to pay all year round, or your own place not to far away from folk, but not gated,

Steve.r
9th July 2012, 13:43
We have a gate and a guard 'dog' (hang on, we ate the dog!!:doh) so just a gate then as you know Steve. But we have cctv.

I think if you shut yourself away people will always want to see in. Everyone can see what 'we' have within reason. Just need to use common sence, unless you go to live where there are fighting factions. :NEW3:

grahamw48
9th July 2012, 14:15
'We ate the dog'.
Only in the Philippines.:laugher:

Having lived in the Phils for a number of years in various locations ranging from a Nipa hut in the mountains to posh gated subdivision, (and never had a break-in) I can offer the following advice:

Walls, cameras, barbed wire...if they want to get into your house they will...UNLESS:

You have at least one good reliable guard dog kept running loose on the property.
This means that all visitors need to be accompanied from the gate for their own safety. THAT is a good enough dog.

2. The house is occupied at all times.

We had at least one 'helper' who was always a trustworthy close relation of the ex. Strict instructions NEVER to open the gate let alone the front door.

3. Keep a low profile in your neighbourhood. Allow as few locals as possible into your house (tradesmen etc). Deal with them in a businesslike manner and watch them like a hawk. Avoid antagonising any of the locals and never display signs of wealth openly.

4. CCTV is fine, but an unnecessary expense and distraction IMO.
I just made my own dummy system complete with little flashing LEDs.
My most visible camera was actually made from the body of an old car footpump and some bits and pieces of aquarium equipment. Looked the business and cost about tuppence. lol.

5. Make it harder and more time-consuming for people to get into the house once they're over the walls.

I lined front and back doors with sheet steel...screwed on, and for night-time had steel bars that dropped across the inside of the doors top and bottom into specially fabricated brackets which were attached using long bolts right through the wall. I put locking bolts into the frame on the hinge side of the doors too. All simple DIY stuff.

Test everything yourself. If you can get in ANYWHERE using a crowbar, then so can a robber.
Local locks and padlocks are usually rubbish so take some decent ones from UK.

laurel
9th July 2012, 15:17
You have at least one good reliable guard dog kept running loose on the property.
This means that all visitors need to be accompanied from the gate for their own safety. THAT is a good enough dog.

2. The house is occupied at all times.

We had at least one 'helper' who was always a trustworthy close relation of the ex. Strict instructions NEVER to open the gate let alone the front door.

3. Keep a low profile in your neighbourhood. Allow as few locals as possible into your house (tradesmen etc). Deal with them in a businesslike manner and watch them like a hawk. Avoid antagonising any of the locals and never display signs of wealth openly.

4. CCTV is fine, but an unnecessary expense and distraction IMO.
I just made my own dummy system complete with little flashing LEDs.
My most visible camera was actually made from the body of an old car footpump and some bits and pieces of aquarium equipment. Looked the business and cost about tuppence. lol.

5. Make it harder and more time-consuming for people to get into the house once they're over the walls.

I lined front and back doors with sheet steel...screwed on, and for night-time had steel bars that dropped across the inside of the doors top and bottom into specially fabricated brackets which were attached using long bolts right through the wall. I put locking bolts into the frame on the hinge side of the doors too. All simple DIY stuff.

Test everything yourself. If you can get in ANYWHERE using a crowbar, then so can a robber.
Local locks and padlocks are usually rubbish so take some decent ones from UK.

I thought Brixton was supposed to be up and coming............:)

Steve.r
9th July 2012, 16:13
I thought Brixton was supposed to be up and coming............:)
:icon_lol::icon_lol:

grahamw48
9th July 2012, 16:19
Well Laurel, it was supposed to be a helpful reply which did take a bit of thought.

Perhaps you have something more constructive than a daft quip to offer.:rolleyes:

laurel
9th July 2012, 18:03
Well Laurel, it was supposed to be a helpful reply which did take a bit of thought.

Perhaps you have something more constructive than a daft quip to offer.:rolleyes:

oops Sorry Graham no offence meant....but it was only a joke,

I suppose I should have been more thoughtful.

subseastu
9th July 2012, 18:16
God forbid we can't be having daft quip's can we.

I've been thinking about this as well Steve. We lived in various places in the phils but so far never in a secured, 24hr security compond. At the time though we kept things fairly basic as I was flying out there in my leave and the wife was going to be coming to the UK soon anyway. The neighbours obviously knew about me and I found that as long as we where friendly enough (say hi etc but not bringing them for dinner. That sort of thing) they left us to our own devices. Nieghbours can be helpful if your moving into a new area the same as in the UK.

I think if it was a more permenant thing then I look at secured compound with the tips Graham gave. I worked with a guy who also installed an electrified fence on top of his 10ft wall. The main problem I have with these secured divisions is the feeling of being closed in. Just having a house on its own in the middle of a plot on a hill somewhere does sounds a lot better to me, but I suppose it depends how safe the area is. I think if we got a house away from a compound arrangement it would need to be close to / same neighbourhood as some family so they could help you out / spread the word to the nieghbours to leave you alone. Otherwise if your in a built up area then for me I think the peice of mind of being in a community with security etc out ways the worries of lying awake at night wondering what that noise was or when your out wondering if all your gear has been nicked.

Being the rich british bloke that you are you'd obviously as Graham said have some help in the house such as a maid. We are considering using someone related to us from the province (cousin etc) that we think should be more trustworthy than a stranger. Having them in the house should help. This then may allow the buying of a place away from the walled comunities. Bi9ggest problem is you don't want to feel your living in a prison do you?

grahamw48
9th July 2012, 18:38
The house where I carried out the security measures described was on a 'normal' and quite busy road.

Not at all like a prison because we (including 3 children) could come and go as we pleased...just the baddies who couldn't. :)

Even here in England I keep my back and front doors locked when I'm home.

Next door got ransacked a couple of years ago.

imagine
9th July 2012, 18:42
i dont think i would like to fence myself in, paranoia might set in, besides isnt that just advertising your wealthy and have something worth stealing:Erm:
personaly i would rather have nothing just a simple stress free life,
for me i think part of the attraction is getting away from the rat race we created here:xxgrinning--00xx3:

imagine
9th July 2012, 18:45
The house where I carried out the security measures described was on a 'normal' and quite busy road.

Not at all like a prison because we (including 3 children) could come and go as we pleased...just the baddies who couldn't. :)

Even here in England I keep my back and front doors locked when I'm home.

Next door got ransacked a couple of years ago.

i know where i live now many times iv gone out and left my door unlocked, i never worried if i had been robbed,

infact the worst thing that ever happened was a young yummy woman walked in drunk one evenning walked past me and up the stairs then she got in my bed lol

grahamw48
9th July 2012, 18:46
Haha..

The locals will perceive you that way whether you like it or not Stewart. :D

CBM
9th July 2012, 18:52
Living away from other people is a very un-Filipino concept, I fancy.

My tally woud be - apartment in Paranaque (not very safe!) gated community, high rise apartment in downtown Makati (certainly the safest!), subdivision in small town*, gated community.

Kay has more than once pointed out a remote house and remarked "That would do for you, but not for me!" ;)

* My ex had some interesting connections. This was very safe.

imagine
9th July 2012, 18:56
looks like i will be living among the locals:D

grahamw48
9th July 2012, 18:59
looks like i will be living among the locals:D

Make yourself right at home. :xxgrinning--00xx3: :D

http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/2788/honkongandphils005.jpg

stevewool
9th July 2012, 19:11
all sound advice so far, look we are not stupid, i dont leave my doors open at all here, locked all the time, Ems sister has a new built home but no space at all, yes maybe buy a bigger plot so you can have the space you want but have to remember the fees you pay for gated place, i am not looking to be alone miles from anyone, but i want a view and about 1000 sq mtrs, build my own or get one built, so many things to think about

Steve.r
9th July 2012, 19:33
Well Steve, you have seen my place and seen the community around us. We are lucky to have good friends a stone's throw away. We have now got influential friends in the town and i feel safe there, Charie and our family feel safe there too, and that gives me peace of mind when I am here. I think it all depends on your projected lifestyle Steve, what is going to make you feel comfortable. :)

stevewool
9th July 2012, 19:44
steve, i have told you, you live in paradise, the views you have and so near everything but also far from the crowds too, i have not gone off the idea of the lots near you, naighbour:xxgrinning--00xx3:

imagine
9th July 2012, 19:47
Make yourself right at home. :xxgrinning--00xx3: :D

http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/2788/honkongandphils005.jpg

thats more like it ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, living :xxgrinning--00xx3:

London_Manila
9th July 2012, 19:56
where do you think is best , a gated house wth the use of a pool and oter things a gaurd at the front gate and yes a fee to pay all year round, or your own place not to far away from folk, but not gated,

"IN THE HILLS" sounds great but what kind of real security are you going to have there ?

Many people will tell you that its fine but i have seen too many people taken out just trying to
live a normal life over there living in a secure pinoy barangay
security in most barangays is one guy on the gate as you enter (not safe enough for a kanu)
its the people living inside the barangay that will steal from you or even harm you

24 hour security is a must with patrolling guards (not just one guy on the gate)

DMCI have many developments in and around manila are they are what i call secure

monthly dues were around 2000 a month but thats a little price to pay for DECENT security

of course many gf's will tell you that its fine and safe in their area, it is for them not so for you

stevewool
9th July 2012, 20:02
seems like dogs and family are the best, just like it was here a few years back, no house dogs like here, the dog was chained up near the back door, it knew all the family but anyone that tried to get round the back, wow betide them,

Steve.r
9th July 2012, 20:02
24 hour security is a must with patrolling guards (not just one guy on the gate)

I don't have that and feel perfectly safe. Maybe you have a lot to worry about if you stroll around flashing your wares.

If you treat your neigbours as people not underlings, you will be part of the community like I am.

London_Manila
9th July 2012, 20:17
I don't have that and feel perfectly safe. Maybe you have a lot to worry about if you stroll around flashing your wares.

If you treat your neigbours as people not underlings, you will be part of the community like I am.

its just my personal opinion :)

Many do live in these places and seem very happy with it but thats not for me

Every barangay has their "local idiots" and i dont want to be the "sitting duck" just around the corner from them

You can treat your neighbours with respect of course but you will not be able to know everyone living there

I never wanted to turn my place into a fortress also ;)

Terpe
9th July 2012, 20:18
I've been reading this thread with great interest.
We're reasonable close to a time when we will move over to the paradise islands.

I've been travelling regularly to the phils for over 10 years and have always been thinking about what security level is needed when I finally make the move.

So far I can honestly say I haven't yet decided.
Condo living is not in my thinking.

"Living in the hills"? well if that means remote then that's not for me either. Not at my age. I already witnessed harrowing experiences of when it's difficult to reach a good medical facility. I posted on that already. If I need to get to a hospital in an emergency then I need to be with a highly reliable drive from a good hospital

Somewhere in between is fine I think.

So probably it all comes down to where you live. Location, location location.
But, you know what....... my daughter and my extended family DO have REAL concerns about safety and security for me.
The white guy always has something valuable. So many people have been damaged for their mobile phone or "shiny" watch.
Yep even the locals, watch the news guys.

Personally I always say, nah, It'll be OK

But will it?
Do us white guys really need to take extra care when living there?

Certainly in Marikina in the immediate location of my house, it's rather quite and all the neighbours know me very well and always look out for me. It's very easy to spot an "outsider."
Just I don't want to live out the rest of my life in Marikina.

But interesting thread, keep the ideas coming:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Thanks to all those who contributed so far

subseastu
9th July 2012, 20:19
First house in the province, not a bad gaff apart from the 48hr brown outs. When we wheren't there one of the brothers lived in it to keep an eye on it. Trouble is it uased to take about 5 hours to get to Tacloban. Organise banka boat, walk to main road, wait for bus, 1 hourride on bus. All just to get to town!! Our new place is better but still in the middle of nowhere. There are no roads to the villages where we have our "holiday" home. Its banka boats or a 1 hour walk through the jungle / rice farms.

stevewool
9th July 2012, 20:20
well where ever it is it will be home,

stevewool
9th July 2012, 20:21
First house in the province, not a bad gaff apart from the 48hr brown outs. When we wheren't there one of the brothers lived in it to keep an eye on it.

amazing thats just what i want, but with a container round the back covered by bamboo, just for security

Terpe
9th July 2012, 20:26
....Every barangay has their "local idiots" and i dont want to be the "sitting duck" just around the corner from them ...

Now this is very true.
Not to be over dramatic, but as far as my 10 years experience goes, there is an "official" in every barangay who has an "official" firearm. To own and to carry.
I include members of my own extended family (also barangay officials).

There are some things that beggar belief.:yikes:

subseastu
9th July 2012, 20:28
As forigners we're always going to attact attention its as simple as that. When out and about its like alot of other countries, make sure you're not displaying overt signs of wealth. I personally don't see any reason why you shouldn't have nice stuff inside your home (big tv, hi-fi, furniture etc) I think a dog, good quality windows and doors with locks, 10ft wall with crap covered barbed wire on top and a spikey gate should do it.

stevewool
9th July 2012, 20:34
As forigners we're always going to attact attention its as simple as that. When out and about its like alot of other countries, make sure you're not displaying overt signs of wealth. I personally don't see any reason why you shouldn't have nice stuff inside your home (big tv, hi-fi, furniture etc) I think a dog, good quality windows and doors with locks, 10ft wall with crap covered barbed wire on top and a spikey gate should do it.

and thats just ashby:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Steve.r
9th July 2012, 20:39
I have a steel fence around my yard, so have thought about taking a farm cattle electric fence energiser with me and running it all around. I have caught my tackle on these sorts of fences many times to know that you dont want to be holding it for long without letting go. Its enough to keep people out and can be done quite cheaply.

stevewool
9th July 2012, 20:41
what about your chickens steve, i can see bbq chicken on the menu a few times a week

imagine
9th July 2012, 21:12
I have a steel fence around my yard, so have thought about taking a farm cattle electric fence energiser with me and running it all around. I have caught my tackle on these sorts of fences many times to know that you dont want to be holding it for long without letting go. Its enough to keep people out and can be done quite cheaply.

it gives a better kick on solid fencing wire rather than the white web strip :D:xxgrinning--00xx3:

imagine
9th July 2012, 21:15

i think you hit the nail on the head there :xxgrinning--00xx3:

lastlid
9th July 2012, 21:25
It isn't just the white man that needs security in the Philippines. Some Filipinos do too. I have seen how it is done. A security gate to the housing complex is a start with guards, plural. And a gun or two.

My wife's mother's employer doesn't drive flash cars, which helps. And uses a body guard. :omg:

imagine
9th July 2012, 21:26
there are many areas in uk, where you need such security, and constantly looking over your shoulder ,

thats reality

lastlid
9th July 2012, 21:29
there are many areas in uk, where you need such security, and constantly looking over your shoulder ,

thats reality

Yep. Seaton....:icon_lol:

stevewool
9th July 2012, 21:33
all over the uk would you walk out alone at night, i would not

grahamw48
9th July 2012, 22:04
Keep prying eyes out:

(This is our family house as it was when we took it over and before my improvements).

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/7586/ourhouseinac.jpg

imagine
9th July 2012, 22:15
makes you wonder keeping in or keeping out,

ls it tho local jail :D:icon_lol:

grahamw48
9th July 2012, 22:36
I later had a lot of valuable stuff behind those walls Stewart, in several large aviaries. :)

Even had to arm the kids: :D

http://img804.imageshack.us/img804/5337/armedchildren.jpg

imagine
9th July 2012, 23:09
I later had a lot of valuable stuff behind those walls Stewart, in several large aviaries. :)

Even had to arm the kids: :D

are you sure they werent trying to escape :icon_lol:

subseastu
9th July 2012, 23:46
and thats just ashby:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Didn't know you've seen my house! Was that you loitering about the other day with intent?

subseastu
9th July 2012, 23:58
amazing thats just what i want, but with a container round the back covered by bamboo, just for security

Thanks. Trouble with these types of houses is unless you live in them and are doing constant running repairs they do go bad really quickly. For the long term its not really viable. We needed family there al the time in case of "undesirables". MPA fighters are semi active around the area so my movements are quite limited. Not too bad if we're with family though.

At the end of the day I want 1000m2 plot 4-5 bed house with pool and games room, separate quarters for slaves, I mean staff, nice garden with fruit bearing trees, nice view. Easy distance to shops / market / mall. Good bars and resturants and within an hour of an airport. I mean come on surely thats not too much to ask, is it?!

lastlid
10th July 2012, 06:19
Didn't know you've seen my house! Was that you loitering about the other day with intent?

Ashby De La Zouche. I used to work out there for a short while, for the water board. Also used to visit Charnwood Forest. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevewool
10th July 2012, 06:20
Ashby De La Zouche. I used to work out there for a short while, for the water board. Also used to visit Charnwood Forest. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

a small world it is,

lastlid
10th July 2012, 07:21
a small world it is,

I bet that the reservoir is nice and full right now....:xxgrinning--00xx3:

London_Manila
10th July 2012, 15:19
[QUOTE=Terpe;373147]

Yes 100%

Of course many guys get lulled into a false sense of security because they have made many visits to the philippines and nothing ever happened to them :NoNo:

Scrimping on security over there really is a false economy and some guys take that route because of the costs involved

I stayed in a 2 bedroom rented apartment in Mayfield Park in Cainta Manila and i think they had more guards there than residents :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I found that part of Manila very pleasent and walking anywhere in Cainta was fine

stevewool
10th July 2012, 17:08
you need to take no matter where you live, do i lock my doors here in england yes i do ever when i am in the house, so it will be the same anywhere, the best bet is to get a dog beter a big dog,

CBM
10th July 2012, 17:13
I may be in a minority but I think I'm only likely to be happy if my other half is happy - for us, that means either on her parents' farm in Mindanao or in a modest gated community.

Modest because we don't live on the Forbes Park scale - but there are plenty of reasonable enough developments by the likes of Cammelia.

stevewool
10th July 2012, 17:28
you are not in the minority at all, we all are here to make each other happy, i would do anything for Emma and i know she would do the same for me, you are lucky that you may have a place to live ie the farm, some of us have not got that, yes i am looking where i would like to be and talking all the time with Emma about differant places, i know she would love to be right next to her dad or sister but also Emma knows that is not for me, so a comprimise is to be had, a place in bohol, panglao, then the family can come and stay with us and also we can go and stay with the family, best of both worlds, i am not rich but with what we may have to take with us should last us well and live better then here, like i have said many times i dont want much, just a view and a garden to keep busy, thats both of us keeping busy

Dedworth
10th July 2012, 17:32
It's somewhat ironic that if you see a UK house with gates, walls topped with spiked railings, block paved frontage and a white transit van with amber flashing light on top it's owner will normally be a member of the travelling fraternity :D

subseastu
10th July 2012, 17:57

Well they continue to develop in Ashby even after the enviroment agency said that the services are running at approx 92-95% capacity!! ew developments will now be built using cess pits. Nice. Trouble is with all the housing being built due to it being a nice place to live everything else is getting left behind. Schools, health centre, library, public transport etc.

I think getting back on track that at first its a matter of finding a reasonable gaff to rent for 6 months or so while you travel around to find a place you feel happy and safe in. Maybe then you can find an exsisting property or plot of land to build on. Its always better to make decisions when you've got your feet on the ground in the place you want to move to, only then you can make an informed decision.

CBM
10th July 2012, 18:05
It's somewhat ironic that if you see a UK house with gates, walls topped with spiked railings, block paved frontage and a white transit van with amber flashing light on top it's owner will normally be a member of the travelling fraternity :D

Spot on; found myself living next to one such place, years ago...

lastlid
10th July 2012, 20:11
I may be in a minority but I think I'm only likely to be happy if my other half is happy - for us, that means either on her parents' farm in Mindanao or in a modest gated community.

Modest because we don't live on the Forbes Park scale - but there are plenty of reasonable enough developments by the likes of Cammelia.

We looked at Carmela. Do you feel they are secure?

Dedworth
10th July 2012, 20:26
Spot on; found myself living next to one such place, years ago...

It makes me laugh that these people most of whom spend their waking hours conning, cheating, intimidating and thieving feel the need to live behind such protection. Another gripe is that most local councils turn a blind planning eye when these so called "travellers" build this type of permanent compound.

Scum of the earth :angry:

CBM
10th July 2012, 21:05
We looked at Carmela. Do you feel they are secure?

Yes and no!

Kay rents a house in a Camella development. In UK terms a Barratt Homes type set up - aimed squarely at OFWs, seafarers - the lower middle classes in a word.

The quality and reliability of the guards in these places is unlikely to be wonderful, perhaps, but on the other hand there is an active Residents Association, we know the neighbours ,(more correctly, Kay, who is an arch networker, appears to know everybody!) the little boy plays in the street (which is almost free of traffic!). I've certainly never thought twice about walking round the place. It is, by Philippines standards, quiet. It seems to me that if you live in the same sort of house and in the same sort of way as a lot of other people, you are fairly safe.

We get cable TV and broadband.

We've never thought twice about inviting the neighbours in - the stuff inside is much the same as in any other house in the development.

Ako Si Jamie
10th July 2012, 22:04
you need to take no matter where you live, do i lock my doors here in england yes i do ever when i am in the house, so it will be the same anywhere, the best bet is to get a dog beter a big dog,I recommend a Rhodesian Ridgeback :xxgrinning--00xx3:

They're bred to hunt lions (I use to have one)

stevewool
10th July 2012, 22:09
I recommend a Rhodesian Ridgeback :xxgrinning--00xx3:

They're bred to hunt lions (I use to have one)

you had a LION:yikes::yikes:

Ako Si Jamie
10th July 2012, 22:10
you had a LION:yikes::yikes::icon_lol:

No, a Rhodesian Ridgeback

grahamw48
10th July 2012, 22:37
Not important the breed.

What is important is that it WILL attack strangers while still being trustworthy with your family ....and controllable by them under all circumstances.

Ako Si Jamie
10th July 2012, 22:44
Ridgebacks are very clever dogs.

They'll let an intruder in but won't let him out. :icon_lol:

And burglar adobo will be on the menu :hubbahubba::xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
10th July 2012, 23:07
This small dog would have any stranger's wedding tackle off if given the chance...and would kill any creature that came our side of the wall, including at least one large rat a day, cats, chickens etc. A true PREDATOR.:cwm24:

My (British) friend round the corner had the rest of her family and seven of them together was damned scary I can tell you. :omg:

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/6541/rolyp.jpg

imagine
10th July 2012, 23:39
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh36/imaginne/Family%20Album/My%20Dogs/5-7-2010_079.jpg

you cant under estimate a small dog, they can have a much bigger bite :D,

i inherited a small Lhasa Apso , and i can tell you though it looked cute and cuddly, it was a real gremlin, it feared nobody, it ripped into me more than once, and it would not give in no matter what,

anyway if they dont bite small dogs are good at getting under your feet and trip you up :icon_lol:

subseastu
11th July 2012, 00:00
Let me introduce you all to "MAGNUM". He's not small just quite far away and the wife has exceptionally big hands.....

grahamw48
11th July 2012, 00:04
That's a blinkin Hamster innit ? :icon_lol:

subseastu
11th July 2012, 00:16
I'll have you know he was 6 inches of pure evil!!!

imagine
11th July 2012, 00:17
Let me introduce you all to "MAGNUM". He's not small just quite far away and the wife has exceptionally big hands.....

its a thumbnail:icon_lol:

sars_notd_virus
11th July 2012, 11:48
where do you think is best , a gated house ...not gated,

I want a wooden fence on my property with a proper watch dog...as you know its only in the Philippines were we treat our dogs as pets and a guard for burglars as well :D:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Ako Si Jamie
11th July 2012, 19:49
What about one of these to live in?

http://images.travelpod.com/tripwow/photos2/ta-02b9-adae-6ad2/52-house-in-stilts-zamboanga-philippines+1152_13147197171-tpfil02aw-13021.jpg

imagine
11th July 2012, 19:59
What about one of these to live in?

http://images.travelpod.com/tripwow/photos2/ta-02b9-adae-6ad2/52-house-in-stilts-zamboanga-philippines+1152_13147197171-tpfil02aw-13021.jpg

well i for one would be delighted living in one of them, sat out fishing everyday :xxgrinning--00xx3::icon_lol:

grahamw48
11th July 2012, 20:02
Very clean...twice a day by the tide. :D

Pet shark tethered to keep the baddies away ? :)

stevewool
11th July 2012, 20:04
the last one is that a new build too

imagine
11th July 2012, 20:06
no toilet flushing, no missing the pot, piranah as back up mmmm maybe not i might want to wash my feet when i dangle them off the edge :icon_lol:

Dedworth
11th July 2012, 20:07

These in the Bay to keep the Chinks away

http://i64.servimg.com/u/f64/12/44/77/64/astute10.jpg

gWaPito
11th July 2012, 20:12

The downside with the pet shark, he makes a mess giving the daily paper to his master :NoNo:

grahamw48
11th July 2012, 20:17
Back in the 90s my friend and I came soooo close to buying a big old boat needing some restoration...moored in Puerta Galera.

We had a night club in mind, plus living on it. :)

imagine
11th July 2012, 20:17
The downside with the pet shark, he makes a mess giving the daily paper to his master :NoNo:

:laugher::laugher::laugher:

grahamw48
11th July 2012, 20:23
"Come in...it's ok....he's just playing". :D

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/6418/pict0017a.jpg

imagine
11th July 2012, 20:45

his name jaws by ant chance :yikes:

subseastu
11th July 2012, 21:22
These in the Bay to keep the Chinks away

http://i64.servimg.com/u/f64/12/44/77/64/astute10.jpg

They won't get that far, they've normally ran aground just out from Faslane

stevewool
12th July 2012, 06:19

just changing the subject here, this ride, JAWS, has closed in florida, they are making a new ride there instead

lastlid
14th July 2012, 23:43
Just been speaking to a brit who has come back to the UK from the Philippines after 14 years. I was at his wedding today - married a girl from Baguio, here in Lincoln. He reckoned it is darn near impossible, as a white man, to keep the wrong sort out over there, wherever one might be live.

grahamw48
14th July 2012, 23:56
I could always call on the Tondo branch of the family if need be. :omg:

http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/8568/cousininlaw.jpg

Ako Si Jamie
15th July 2012, 00:42
Another option. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-BEGrk_zJZ9Y/TbBk3UlCTXI/AAAAAAAADk0/kEyDj2Aqryw/s1600/asian+karate.jpg

imagine
15th July 2012, 00:53
Another option. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-BEGrk_zJZ9Y/TbBk3UlCTXI/AAAAAAAADk0/kEyDj2Aqryw/s1600/asian+karate.jpg

now thats the kind of woman a man needs by his side:xxgrinning--00xx3: but dont argue with her :icon_lol::icon_lol:

gWaPito
15th July 2012, 01:15
If you are lucky enough to have good family, much better to live amongst them rather than shut yourselves away in a gated.....as for the hills, not for us...its been bad enough living here what's been described as living in the mountains!

lastlid
15th July 2012, 08:16

Peter D
17th July 2012, 13:57
[QUOTE=Terpe;373147]

Yes 100%

Of course many guys get lulled into a false sense of security because they have made many visits to the philippines and nothing ever happened to them :NoNo:

Scrimping on security over there really is a false economy and some guys take that route because of the costs involved

I stayed in a 2 bedroom rented apartment in Mayfield Park in Cainta Manila and i think they had more guards there than residents :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I found that part of Manila very pleasent and walking anywhere in Cainta was fine

I rented a house in Greenpark Cainta years ago , it was gated with a security guard , there was no trouble but I doubt the guard was anything more than a placebo to help the residents feel a bit safer , he seemed to be asleep everytime we arrived at the gate .

Terpe
17th July 2012, 14:09
Peter D,

I'm afraid that the quote you posted by me is not correct.
I did not say that nor did I ever stay in Mayfield Park in Cainta

You may want to modify that.

grahamw48
17th July 2012, 15:47
Can I also add something...in case I'm ever miss-quoted ...

'Now, I have to go back to work on my State of the Union speech. And I worked on it until pretty late last night. But I want to say one thing to the American people. I want you to listen to me. I'm going to say this again. I did not have sexual relations with that woman, Miss Lewinsky. I never told anybody to lie, not a single time – never. These allegations are false. And I need to go back to work for the American people.'

.:D

Peter D
20th July 2012, 17:12
Peter D,

I'm afraid that the quote you posted by me is not correct.
I did not say that nor did I ever stay in Mayfield Park in Cainta

You may want to modify that.

Terpe , I think I can see what happened , it was London_Manila who was quoting you first but clearly not in relation you to ever having lived in Cainta , it was actually London_Manila who once stayed in Cainta , not that there is anything wrong with Cainta its a luverly part of town apart from it being a nightmare driving to Makati during the rush hours which is 20 hours per day . It seems when using a post thats already been quoted from another post that its possible without intention to make it look like someone wrote something they did not write , an interesting possibility which I have not encountered before in my online life so apologies once again to Terpe for this incorrect quotation and in future I will try not do it again .

Ako Si Jamie
20th July 2012, 22:50
Terpe , I think I can see what happened , it was London_Manila who was quoting you first but clearly not in relation you to ever having lived in Cainta , it was actually London_Manila who once stayed in Cainta , not that there is anything wrong with Cainta its a luverly part of town apart from it being a nightmare driving to Makati during the rush hours which is 20 hours per day . It seems when using a post thats already been quoted from another post that its possible without intention to make it look like someone wrote something they did not write , an interesting possibility which I have not encountered before in my online life so apologies once again to Terpe for this incorrect quotation and in future I will try not do it again .Hope you got a good lawyer. :icon_lol:;)

London_Manila
21st July 2012, 01:50
Terpe , I think I can see what happened , it was London_Manila who was quoting you first but clearly not in relation you to ever having lived in Cainta , it was actually London_Manila who once stayed in Cainta , not that there is anything wrong with Cainta its a luverly part of town apart from it being a nightmare driving to Makati during the rush hours which is 20 hours per day . It seems when using a post thats already been quoted from another post that its possible without intention to make it look like someone wrote something they did not write , an interesting possibility which I have not encountered before in my online life so apologies once again to Terpe for this incorrect quotation and in future I will try not do it again .

Traveling to Makati or Ortigas from Cainta was not good most of the time
I ended up doing most of my shopping at SM Marikina and for food shopping
i went to Sta.Lucia Mall
As a place to live though i really liked Cainta and that part of manila
Monthly in Mayfield Park was around 30,000 pesos a month = rent dues water electric
So to live there comfortably (aircon on all the time) i would say you would need around
45k a month

stevewool
21st July 2012, 09:13
still seems a lot of cash, could be done cheaper i say and just as safe too, anyway its down to each of us what we could live with and also live without

lastlid
21st July 2012, 09:19
Yep. 'Orses for Courses and all that. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

lastlid
21st July 2012, 09:29

I pointed that out to my wife's friends hubby and he said that they get around that with matting etc over the barbed wire. He lived there for 14 years.

grahamw48
21st July 2012, 10:42
That's correct, mattress or similar will defeat any amount of sharp stuff for the determined burglar....but still useful for the opportunist.

Noisy (free-roaming) dogs with sharp teeth are still probably the best all-round deterrent, and they work night and day whether you're in or out. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevewool
21st July 2012, 11:22
must agee with you graham, a good dog or two is the best

lastlid
30th July 2012, 19:46
Just chatting to the wife. Her mum's boss uses electrified fencing in his home. 4 dogs. And guards at the gates of the village. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

CBM
30th July 2012, 20:00
If people are reallly determined, they will get you.

Guards can be bribed, mattresses can be thrown over barbed wire, dogs can be shot or poisoned.

In particular, as shown by the recent assassination of Wilhemus Geertman in Angeles City:

http://globalnation.inquirer.net/42969/church-leaders-condemn-slay-of-dutch-ngo-worker

a targetted political assassination is pretty much bound to get through.

The best you can hope to do is to deter teenagers looking for drug money to buy shabu shabu with.

lastlid
30th July 2012, 20:08
If people are reallly determined, they will get you.

Guards can be bribed, mattresses can be thrown over barbed wire, dogs can be shot or poisoned.

In particular, as shown by the recent assassination of Wilhemus Geertman in Angeles City:

http://globalnation.inquirer.net/42969/church-leaders-condemn-slay-of-dutch-ngo-worker

a targetted political assassination is pretty much bound to get through.

The best you can hope to do is to deter teenagers looking for drug money to buy shabu shabu with.

I think I said the same in some earlier posts on this thread. Ultimately if people want to get in then they will. I guess it is a case of reducing the risk. I know the setup they have in Ayala Alabang works quite well.

I have come to the conclusion that if you can find the right people to help you keep your place secure (ones you can trust) then that is half the battle too.

And as someone else said, patrolling guards, not just one on the gate.

CBM
30th July 2012, 21:13
I think I said the same in some earlier posts on this thread. Ultimately if people want to get in then they will. I guess it is a case of reducing the risk. I know the setup they have in Ayala Alabang works quite well.

I have come to the conclusion that if you can find the right people to help you keep your place secure (ones you can trust) then that is half the battle too.

And as someone else said, patrolling guards, not just one on the gate.

Anvaya Cove, also an Ayala development, strikes me as very safe. Gate guards, patrolling guards, and they really do know who should be there and who should not be. The only problem is the eye watering prices!

http://www.ayalaprimeproperties.com/anvaya-cove.html