PDA

View Full Version : So proud...

grahamw48
23rd July 2012, 14:01
that my lovely stepdaughter has graduated from Nottingham University with a 2:1 degree in Fashion and Textile Management. :Jump:

She came to the UK aged 7, with very limited English.

I collected her yesterday (with her mountains of possessions :omg:), so safely home with us now, and starting a super new job in New York later this year. :)

sars_notd_virus
23rd July 2012, 14:17
Good girl!! Congrats!!..you made your daddy proud:):xxgrinning--00xx3:

raynaputi
23rd July 2012, 15:43
Well done to your step daughter! Such a treasure and on the right path in life too! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
23rd July 2012, 17:19
Yes Graham, many congratulations to your stepdaughter :Jump::Jump:
Looks like she's already on a career-path :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Make the most of your time together before she leaves for New York

imagine
23rd July 2012, 18:13
congratulations to your daughter:xxgrinning--00xx3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dNaSH2N3Ww&feature=related

grahamw48
23rd July 2012, 18:22
Great song...though it makes me feel a little sad also. :cwm3:

Thanks to all for the nice words. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Iani
23rd July 2012, 18:37
Congrats there, she has done so well, but I can only begin to think how sad you must feel of her leaving, all grown up and going so far away.

We only have them as little dependants for a short time, but they stay with us forever, they soon grow up.

lastlid
23rd July 2012, 19:06
that my lovely stepdaughter has graduated from Nottingham University with a 2:1 degree in Fashion and Textile Management. :Jump:

She came to the UK aged 7, with very limited English.

I collected her yesterday (with her mountains of possessions :omg:), so safely home with us now, and starting a super new job in New York later this year. :)

An Attila. I always said that to get one of those you needed to do some work. Whereas I got a Desmond because I didnt do so much in the way of work. :icon_lol: That's as opposed to a Geoff.

lastlid
23rd July 2012, 19:11
Seriously though. You must be chuffed to bits. My own daughter, by comparison, had a lot of talent and wasted it doing very little over a 4 year term doing a degree in Russian - came away with diddly squat. Leeds University BTW.

grahamw48
23rd July 2012, 19:24
An Attila. I always said that to get one of those you needed to do some work. Whereas I got a Desmond because I didnt do so much in the way of work. :icon_lol: That's as opposed to a Geoff.

Having left school at 16, I have zero understanding of degrees and their marking system. :cwm3:

She sent me her dissertation to check for grammar...and I was IMPRESSED. :omg:

Like her mum, a very bright and hard-working, 'driven' young lady.

Who'd have guessed looking at this little cutie in the province (on the right in denim) with her aunt, brother and cousin : :)

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/7987/pict0014hs.jpg

grahamw48
23rd July 2012, 19:26
Seriously though. You must be chuffed to bits. My own daughter, by comparison, had a lot of talent and wasted it doing very little over a 4 year term doing a degree in Russian - came away with diddly squat. Leeds University BTW.

Hmm....I can't say anything, because I was a lazy so and so in school and couldn't wait to escape. :rolleyes:

lastlid
23rd July 2012, 19:28
They dont give 2:1's out for nothing. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

A light hearted look at the grading system.....

Undergraduate degree honours slang

An interesting form of rhyming slang has developed from degree classes, relying on the names of famous people that sound similar to the classes:

A First is known as a Geoff Hurst/Damien Hirst (as 'First' sounds like 'Hurst' or 'Hirst')
A 2:1 is known as an Attila the Hun (as '2:1' sounds like 'the Hun')
A 2:2 is known as a Desmond Tutu (as '2:2' sounds like 'Tutu')
A Third is known as a Douglas Hurd/Thora Hird (as 'Third' sounds like 'Hurd' or 'Hird')
According with the conventions of rhyming slang, only the person's first name is used. Thus, one can be awarded a Geoff (First), Attila (2:1), Desmond (2:2), or a Douglas (Third).

In addition, 2:2s are often light heartedly referred to as 'drinker's degrees', with the implication that the graduate spent more time in the students' union bar than studying. A Third is sometimes known as a 'Richard' after the monarch Richard III of England/Richard III or a 'Vorderman' as British TV celebrity mathematician Carol Vorderman only received a Third at university. Finally, a pass degree is sometimes known as a 'Khyber' (after the cockney rhyming slang phrase 'Khyber Pass').

At the universities of Oxford and Cambridge, a Third has also been called a ' gentleman's ' (degree). It is an archaic term that used to be used to describe the poor performance of students who were only admitted due to their prestigious family background. For most of their long history, Oxford and Cambridge only admitted men.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Degree_Classifications

grahamw48
23rd July 2012, 19:30
:icon_lol: Thanks for clearing that up.

So she did well then. :)

lastlid
23rd July 2012, 19:32
:icon_lol: Thanks for clearing that up.

So she did well then. :)

Exactly :xxgrinning--00xx3:

lastlid
23rd July 2012, 19:35
You would have got a "drinkers degree" Graham?

grahamw48
23rd July 2012, 19:47
You would have got a "drinkers degree" Graham?

That, or more likely a 'daydreamer's degree'. :NoNo:

Actually, not to be too hard on myself, my secondary education was totally screwed by house moves. :rolleyes:

I wanted to be a Zoologist. Always animal-mad.

lastlid
23rd July 2012, 19:58

Actually, not to be too hard on myself, my secondary education was totally screwed by house moves. :rolleyes:

Hence the reading of Darwin's book in its entirity?

imagine
23rd July 2012, 20:08

going by your life experience you have a degree with honors in lifes school:xxgrinning--00xx3:

lastlid
23rd July 2012, 20:11
going by your life experience you have a degree with honors in lifes school:xxgrinning--00xx3:

A Geoff?

grahamw48
23rd July 2012, 20:41
Hence the reading of Darwin's book in its entirity?

Yes, at about 9 years old. :D

I'd also read David Attenborough's books about collecting animals for the Zoological Society of London before he'd ever been heard of on TV. One of my hobbies (apart from keeping literally hundreds of pets) was collecting and assembling skeletons. :)

At 10 or 11 years old I could also be found sitting in a tree in the middle of the local woods on dark January nights, Badger and Fox watching, complete with my 'Naturalists' Expedition Kit' and notebook. :icon_lol:

I also bred 'Exhibition' Mice in various varieties. :D

When I was 14 I had an article about Field Voles published in a wild life magazine.

lastlid
23rd July 2012, 21:50
Yes, at about 9 years old. :D

I'd also read David Attenborough's books about collecting animals for the Zoological Society of London before he'd ever been heard of on TV. One of my hobbies (apart from keeping literally hundreds of pets) was collecting and assembling skeletons. :)

At 10 or 11 years old I could also be found sitting in a tree in the middle of the local woods on dark January nights, Badger and Fox watching, complete with my 'Naturalists' Expedition Kit' and notebook. :icon_lol:

I also bred 'Exhibition' Mice in various varieties. :D

When I was 14 I had an article about of Field Voles published in a wild life magazine.

Reminds me of a movie called the Bone Collector....:Erm:

joebloggs
23rd July 2012, 21:52
:xxgrinning--00xx3: Graham excellent news :Jump:

grahamw48
23rd July 2012, 21:58
Yes, thanks Joe. :)

Just my boy's A-level results to wait for now.