PDA

View Full Version : 27 million pounds

grahamw48
28th July 2012, 01:19
Well, it's gone now.

4 hours of inclusive and politically-correct 'stuff'....the only person not being featured, wheeled on, carrying something or given an honourable mention appearing to be the 3 legged blind bog-cleaner at the stadium. :rolleyes:

Comments please.

gWaPito
28th July 2012, 01:34
That amount of dough would of covered my healthcare expenses in my twilight years...just :NoNo:

Lancashirelad
28th July 2012, 01:36
We really enjoyed it here, my wife was laughing so much when the Queen "parachuted" in. :icon_lol: shame that they cut away from the Philippines team entrance to show Team GB queeing.

London_Manila
28th July 2012, 02:04
I thought it was very good and i think Danny Boyle put on a first class show
Of course its in London so some from (up north) will just knock it = true to form :rolleyes:
The OLYMPICS dont come here that often and its about time people started to get behind it
I love sport anyway and i will be watching most of the events

Constantly talking these world class events down hardly does much for our nation

The OLYMPICS are here so just rejoice in that fact and be proud that our country can put on a great show :)

gWaPito
28th July 2012, 02:34
Of course its in London so some from (up north) will just knock it = true to form :rolleyes:
The OLYMPICS dont come here that often and its about time people started to get behind it

Constantly talking these world class events down hardly does much for our nation

The OLYMPICS are here so just rejoice in that fact and be proud that our country can put on a great show :)

Im not in the north :xxgrinning--00xx3:...I like sport but, other things in life for me, take priority.

Yes, ive said to my wife just this evening history is in the making tonight...I cant say im over excited about the occasion.

lastlid
28th July 2012, 07:21
We really enjoyed it here, my wife was laughing so much when the Queen "parachuted" in. :icon_lol: shame that they cut away from the Philippines team entrance to show Team GB queeing.

Yes. That annoyed my wife too.

Presumably that is a traditional costume that they wore? I was half expecting the Philippine team to circle the stadium in flip flops and shorts on the back of a habal habal. Perhaps complete with a More Fun in the Philippines plaque.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjgf6oN1R14&feature=player_embedded

The Barong Tagalog from Rajo Laurel....

http://blogs.wsj.com/scene/2012/07/18/the-philippines-barong-tagalog-to-get-modern-olympic-makeover/

http://bidakapamilya.blogspot.com/2012/07/video-hidilyn-diaz-carries-philippine.html

lastlid
28th July 2012, 07:23
I enjoyed the bit where the queen was checking her nails when Team GB came in. :icon_lol:

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/olympics/queen-elizabeth-was-picking-her-nails-when-great-britain-marched/article_5b5cfa2a-dabd-58fb-ab2a-0462056f9815.html

lastlid
28th July 2012, 08:01

I agree. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
28th July 2012, 08:35
I thoroughly enjoyed it :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Am now excitedly looking forward to the next couple of weeks of top class sports.

The greatest show on earth in the greatest city on earth :xxgrinning--00xx3:

As a personal view, I don't see any valid point in theorising about how any public money would have been better spent or prioritised.

Much more valid is to consider just how the daily decisions on public money is spent and prioritised.
I doubt very much that funding the olympics impacted any decisions made about what happened to my dad when he was in hospital.
Or about how much money is spent and prioritised on our prisons and prisoners when compared to the disgraceful conditions and treatment of our elderly folks both in care homes and in the community.

The money spent on the olympics wouldn't make any difference.

raynaputi
28th July 2012, 09:18
I really enjoyed the show last night :xxgrinning--00xx3: Mr. Bean (Rowan Atkinson) never fails to make me laugh! :icon_lol: And James Bond (Daniel Craig) meeting the Queen and jumping from the helicopter!!!:omg: But the best one for me is the lighting of the copper petals which comprises the Olympic cauldron..WOW! I never expected that. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I'm actually jealous that my home country, Philippines, would never be able to host such an event like this. I remember asking my dad when I was younger when can we host the Olympics and he just laughed at me and told me "We don't have the place and obviously the money to do it". I think you guys should just stop moaning a bit and be glad that your country can host a great display of sports for the whole world to see. A lot of sports fanatics in the Philippines, including me, wishes we have the ability to do that, especially now that sports in the Philippines is lacking a lot of funding for any sports events, except for Manny Pacquiao of course, (which I'm sure he uses his own money in promoting the sports). Like what Terpe said, I don't think there would be any difference whether UK host it or not. Just be proud you got it this year and of course not forgetting the Diamond Jubilee earlier.

By the way, I'm rooting for Brazil in the women's volleyball..:D they've always been my favorite ever since Leila Barros :xxgrinning--00xx3:

andy222
28th July 2012, 09:28
I agree it was a good show. But who will pay for it and who will benefit from it?

grahamw48
28th July 2012, 10:13
Ignoring the comments of those presumptuous individuals who are too thick to realise that a lot of what I post is tongue in cheek...:rolleyes:

I thoroughly enjoyed it and watched it from beginning to end...despite being from the frozen cloth-cap wearing North.

Where was Austin Powers though ? :Erm:

Iani
28th July 2012, 10:14
They should have cut away when a team came in who no-one gave a stuff about..........I suggest team pakistan :D

I did wonder when India came in, and the camera cut to her Maj and Prince Philip, if when he leant over to her with a grin on his face, he was going to make one of his customary crackers about the dayglow turbans they were wearing perhaps

CBM
28th July 2012, 10:18
I thought the Filipino team costumes were the best - in keeping with national traditions and very elegant.

Nobody expects Sir Tim Berners-Lee!

grahamw48
28th July 2012, 10:19
No offence intended, but when the Pakistani team came on I couldn't help looking for backpacks. :cwm24:

Ako Si Jamie
28th July 2012, 10:39
I'd have hired Chas & Dave out for the night and the £27m would have been invested into Olympic sports.

Much rather see a healthy gold medal tally than an overcooked history lesson.

grahamw48
28th July 2012, 10:47
They should have cut away when a team came in who no-one gave a stuff about..........I suggest team pakistan :D

I did wonder when India came in, and the camera cut to her Maj and Prince Philip, if when he leant over to her with a grin on his face, he was going to make one of his customary crackers about the dayglow turbans they were wearing perhaps

I think by that stage her Maj had gone to sleep and hubby was comatose. :NoNo:

Dedworth
28th July 2012, 11:30
£27 million gets you a huge emphasis on political correctness and a shed load of positive discrimination, I'm surprised they didn't go the whole hog and have a troop of fully veiled up women involved.

Good for TV and the self servers but I can think of many better ways to spend that kind of money.

malditako
28th July 2012, 11:47

this makes me irritated..oh how i hate BBC lol...been waiting for the philippines team just to cut their moment grrrr. i enjoyed mr bean though..can't stop laughing.

CBM
28th July 2012, 14:03
No offence intended, but when the Pakistani team came on I couldn't help looking for backpacks. :cwm24:

Really?

In my experience, when an Englishman comes up with "no offence intended", he intends to be just as offensive as he thinks he can get away with.

grahamw48
28th July 2012, 14:07
[/B]

this makes me irritated..oh how i hate BBC lol...been waiting for the philippines team just to cut their moment grrrr. i enjoyed mr bean though..can't stop laughing.

I agree.

My son and I felt that the Philippines were short-changed.

grahamw48
28th July 2012, 14:12
Really?

In my experience, when an Englishman comes up with "no offence intended", he intends to be just as offensive as he thinks he can get away with.

Well, I gave you a chance but now you're back on 'ignore'.
Don't waste your words on me because they won't show up on my screen.

BYE ! :Hellooo:

'There are none so blind as those who cannot see'

(http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&ved=0CF0QFjAF&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.scrapbook.com%2Fquotes%2Fdoc%2F33329%2F349.html&ei=buQTUOSqLsiI0AWo-oGQAw&usg=AFQjCNG7lWDY5ZzrXAiv_YBaOfUbleoRuQ)

lastlid
28th July 2012, 14:49
Really?

Well, I gave you a chance but now you're back on 'ignore'.
Don't waste your words on me because they won't show up on my screen.

BYE ! :Hellooo:

'There are none so blind as those who cannot see'

Now come on you two guys. I value both of your opinions. You might come in from differing perspectives but both have a lot to offer. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
28th July 2012, 15:01
Life will go on. :)

lastlid
28th July 2012, 15:11
But the best one for me is the lighting of the copper petals which comprises the Olympic cauldron..WOW! I never expected that. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I agree. Fantastic and probably fantastic to see live.

CBM
28th July 2012, 15:12
Now come on you two guys. I value both of your opinions. You might come in from differing perspectives but both have a lot to offer. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

You are clearly one of the Children of God, :xxgrinning--00xx3:

( Matthew 5:9, lost on Graham of course). ;)

lastlid
28th July 2012, 15:38
You are clearly one of the Children of God, :xxgrinning--00xx3:

( Matthew 5:9, lost on Graham of course). ;)

Well no. I just prefer to read a richness of opinion on the forum, which is perfectly possible if you chaps agree to differ where necessary.

lastlid
28th July 2012, 15:42
Ignoring the comments of those presumptuous individuals who are too thick to realise that a lot of what I post is tongue in cheek...:rolleyes:

I thoroughly enjoyed it and watched it from beginning to end...despite being from the frozen cloth-cap wearing North.

Where was Austin Powers though ? :Erm:

Agreed. I often post diametrically opposite to my own opinion, just to see what responses I might get. Sometimes folk take ones words too literally.

gWaPito
28th July 2012, 15:54
I agree with Graham's 2nd post on here...certainly tongue in cheek ...humour which until recently, went over my wife's head :NoNo:..im sure I dont know why.

Of course im proud of my country and the proven ability to put on such shows..we are of course Great Britain :)

I even called my wife and encouraged her to watch the show...Cbeebies finished for the day, babies in bed..an ideal opportunity..she did manage to watch some.

I do agree with Dedworth...its all gone politically correct...nothing at all the 77 jubilee celebrations.

I wont be watching any of it...but, I'll be encouraging my dear wife :)

lastlid
28th July 2012, 16:01
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr501nAnmS4