PDA

View Full Version : Teaching qualifications: How and where?

jlags90
29th July 2012, 16:29
Good Day Forum Members!

I am hopeful that there are forum members that have the same profession as I have had way back in the Philippines before venturing in the cold English breeze and are currently teaching in the UK now. I'd like to ask about what further qualifications do I need to get, in order to teach here.

I have finished BSED-English in the Philippines (in a not so prominent university.. lol). I only have one year of teaching experience since I moved to here after the end of the school year. I passed the Licensure Examination for Teacher (with a satisfactory general average :cwm3:)

Also, since I do not want to deal with teenage boys and girls who are taller than me, I'd like to teach younger ones (primary school age) but I have a degree which is concentrated on HS ones..

How long would the course take? Is it best to do it in a university instead of an online school?

Thank you xxx
I will appreciate your ideas...

lastlid
29th July 2012, 16:41
Good Day Forum Members!

I am hopeful that there are forum members that have the same profession as I have had way back in the Philippines before venturing in the cold English breeze and are currently teaching in the UK now. I'd like to ask about what further qualifications do I need to get, in order to teach here.

I have finished BSED-English in the Philippines (in a not so prominent university.. lol). I only have one year of teaching experience since I moved to here after the end of the school year. I passed the Licensure Examination for Teacher (with a satisfactory general average :cwm3:)

Also, since I do not want to deal with teenage boys and girls who are taller than me, I'd like to teach younger ones (primary school age) but I have a degree which is concentrated on HS ones..

How long would the course take? Is it best to do it in a university instead of an online school?

Thank you xxx

Yes, but if you are the same height as my wife then the primary kids might well be taller than you...:D

Dedworth
29th July 2012, 16:44
I know you mentioned Primary Schools but the Govt have just announced that Academy Schools can hire unqualified teachers :_

Academies given power to hire unqualified teachers
Thousands of state schools will be allowed to hire unqualified staff to teach for the first time because ministers believe the best teachers are “born, not made”.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/9433002/Academies-given-power-to-hire-unqualified-teachers.html

This is potentially good news for me. I need to lobby the governing body of my sons school to ditch the non essential "Performing Arts" Dept and replace it with a Good Citizenship and Common Sense Dept - I will be happy to head it up in return for £80000 pa, 9am-3pm working hours, 13 weeks holiday, loads of inset days and a fat gold plated pension

jlags90
29th July 2012, 16:44
How tall (i mean short) is your wife? I am 5'2" short..lol

lastlid
29th July 2012, 16:45
How tall (i mean short) is your wife? I am 5'2" short..lol

4 ft 11" :icon_lol:

jlags90
29th July 2012, 16:47
The Govt have just announced that Academy Schools can hire unqualified teachers :_

Thousands of state schools will be allowed to hire unqualified staff to teach for the first time because ministers believe the best teachers are “born, not made”.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/9433002/Academies-given-power-to-hire-unqualified-teachers.html

This is potentially good news for me. I need to lobby the governing body of my sons school to ditch the non essential "Performing Arts" Dept and replace it with a Good Citizenship and Common Sense Dept - I will be happy to head it up in return for £80000 pa, 9am-3pm working hours, 13 weeks holiday, loads of inset days and a fat gold plated pension

That's a very good news.. I am surrounded with three academies here. It might be worth inquiring.. Now, the problem I have to face is: THERE MIGHT BE NO VACANCIES WHEN I HAVE MY FLR ON HAND...(as I haven't lodged it yet.. lol)

lastlid
29th July 2012, 16:47
I know you mentioned Primary Schools but the Govt have just announced that Academy Schools can hire unqualified teachers :_

And what would be on your curriculum? :D

jlags90
29th July 2012, 16:48
4 ft 11" :icon_lol:

I love that mocking laugh...

Ako Si Jamie
29th July 2012, 16:49
Romanian Pikeys :icon_lol:

lastlid
29th July 2012, 16:50
Romanian Pikeys :icon_lol:

And Ryan Giggs :icon_lol:

Dedworth
29th July 2012, 16:51
And what would be on your curriculum? :D

Don't get me started :icon_lol:
I've got to get on doing my VAT return

Ako Si Jamie
29th July 2012, 16:51
I love that mocking laugh...Me too. Prefer it to this cheesy grin smiley>>>>> :D

CBM
29th July 2012, 17:08
Good Day Forum Members!

Thank you xxx

I'd definitely recommend the university qualification route into teaching - so far as the State sector is concerned, there is really no choice as it is meant to be an "all graduate profession". I don't know whether Philippines teaching qualifications are "accepted as equivalent" here, but that's the first thing that you need to find out!

Teaching jobs are a bit hard to come by at the moment, so expect to do a good deal of supply teaching and to move to get a full time job.

Good luck and keep in touch.

CBM
29th July 2012, 17:19
Thinking about it - what I would do right away, if I were you, is to look for posts as a "teaching assistant" at primary schools in your area.

It's below your abilities and qualifications, but it will get you a start in the UK school system and a few good references, which are a huge help, as well as abundant advice from colleagues. It's a well known route into full time teaching - you can pass the professional exams studying part time.

jlags90
29th July 2012, 17:39
Thinking about it - what I would do right away, if I were you, is to look for posts as a "teaching assistant" at primary schools in your area.

It's below your abilities and qualifications, but it will get you a start in the UK school system and a few good references, which are a huge help, as well as abundant advice from colleagues. It's a well known route into full time teaching - you can pass the professional exams studying part time.

Thank you CBM.. That helps a lot.. I will start making enquiries in the schools nearby. Do you know if primary schools hire volunteer teaching assistants? If so, would you recommend that? I am not allowed to work (with pay) due to my visa restrictions as of the moment. It might be worth doing instead of volunteering for a charity shop and tag, steam, and work on the till all day (which is what I do as of this moment, to kill boredom).

CBM
29th July 2012, 18:29
Yes, they do. All the primary schools in my area do.

And yes, I'd recommend that. Good thinking.

You will need an "enhanced" CRB clearance (Criminal Records Bureau - this is just a statement that you have not been convicted of being a paedophile, and are therefore safe to work with children!).

For some reason, the Government requires a new one for each post.

Link here I hope:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Startinganewjob/index.htm?CID=EMP&PLA=url_mon&CRE=crb

You will probably have to pay for this yourself, though the school may do so given your qualifications. Don't apply until you are offered a position, though, as you need one for each job even if its unpaid volunteering.