PDA

View Full Version : Best bargains

Alan
28th July 2007, 13:26
Hi all again,

Dare I start ANOTHER new thread?

How about some of the best bargains in the Philippines? Might be of use for some of our subsequent visits.

Here's a few to start us off (although I shall probably be scorned for the first one)

Packet of fortune ciggies - 9 pesos - Robinson supermarket Cebu City
Bottle of Emperador brandy - 63 pesos - same place
STONKINGLY BEAUTIFUL large mango shake - 20 pesos - little shop opposite Fast Track at Tagbilaran.

Anybody want to add more?

Alan.

bigtombowski
28th July 2007, 13:29
sm

Peanutz
28th July 2007, 14:03
Hi all again,

Dare I start ANOTHER new thread?

How about some of the best bargains in the Philippines? Might be of use for some of our subsequent visits.

Here's a few to start us off (although I shall probably be scorned for the first one)

Packet of fortune ciggies - 9 pesos - Robinson supermarket Cebu City
Bottle of Emperador brandy - 63 pesos - same place
STONKINGLY BEAUTIFUL large mango shake - 20 pesos - little shop opposite Fast Track at Tagbilaran.

Anybody want to add more?

Alan.

Try BUKO PIE (you can get a fresh delicious buko pie in Batangas or Laguna though) and BUKO PANDAN FRUIT SALAD:D Gnammy, gnammy:D

You can bring Buko pie back to UK while Buko pandan fruit salad is much difficult to carry back:D.

bigtombowski
28th July 2007, 14:04
balut p13

Alan
28th July 2007, 14:41
Che cosa è torta di Buko?

Oh - sorry Tom - What is Buko Pie? :)

Peanutz
28th July 2007, 15:27
Che cosa è torta di Buko?

Oh - sorry Tom - What is Buko Pie? :)

BUKO PIE- A sweet treat of crunchy light pie with fresh young coconut thin layered flakes baked on top...:rolleyes:verrry delicious! Ask Hannah if she have tried it!!!

Alan
28th July 2007, 15:55
Sounds beautiful!! :BouncyHappy:

singkit
28th July 2007, 21:47
How about...:Erm:Horses' ****? It's free in the Philippijnes...And it's £1 in Scarborrough:omg:

eljean
28th July 2007, 21:59
how bout relief goods like "ukay ukay":icon_lol:

andypaul
28th July 2007, 23:49
Seasfoods fish, prawns, crab all dead cheap and if you go to the wet market real fresh.

Can't beat going to the market and and then handing to the resturant and eating what would be a quite a few quids worth of sea food for very little.

jimeve
29th July 2007, 00:19
you mean quite a few squid.

jimeve
29th July 2007, 00:24
How about...:Erm:Horses' ****? It's free in the Philippijnes...And it's £1 in Scarborrough:omg:

What red horse :BouncyHappy:

Peanutz
29th July 2007, 10:41
Seasfoods fish, prawns, crab all dead cheap and if you go to the wet market real fresh.

Can't beat going to the market and and then handing to the resturant and eating what would be a quite a few quids worth of sea food for very little.

There is a place I know near NAIA your back on the airport facing the main road take the way to Sucat and within 5-10 mins you will find this place it is called DAMPA or Seaside Market it is a wet market where you can buy fresh seafood, fish, prawns and crab and you can take them to the restaurant there are few of them at the both side of the market and make them cook for you. It is very cheap and it really worth a try.:)

Alan
29th July 2007, 10:45
Thanks for that piece of info Peanutz - very useful. I did not realise you could take food into a resto and they cook it for you.

Alan

singkit
29th July 2007, 12:18
What red horse :BouncyHappy:

It's horse' manure:icon_lol:

andypaul
29th July 2007, 12:53
I thinlk there are a few one near the airport which im sure we have been (sitting at ealing broadway station and the missus is at work so cant confirm) and another near makati well about ten mins past the debenhams from what i remeber with loads of resturants with most haivng crazy bucklas on the door

Alan
29th July 2007, 14:33
Another bargain. Those DVDs with about 12 (pirated) movies on them - 75 pesos.

I take it that it would be illegal to bring them back to the UK?

Alan

gingxrick
29th July 2007, 14:44
dont think the dvd's would play here Alan. maybe I'm wronge but when I took dvd's from uk to phils they didn't play their. MASAMA hehehe

Alan
29th July 2007, 14:48
They play fine here actually. (OOOOOOOPS!!!!!!!!!!):doh

Alan
30th July 2007, 11:05
How could I forget this one?????

Jo's Chicken Inato - 64 pesos.

BEEEAAAUUUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Tonet
30th July 2007, 15:24
There is a place I know near NAIA your back on the airport facing the main road take the way to Sucat and within 5-10 mins you will find this place it is called DAMPA or Seaside Market it is a wet market where you can buy fresh seafood, fish, prawns and crab and you can take them to the restaurant there are few of them at the both side of the market and make them cook for you. It is very cheap and it really worth a try.:)

Mmmmm,, now you made me remember DAMPA,,,,Its definitely worth a try hehehe yummy talaga :cwm29::cwm29:

singkit
30th July 2007, 18:37
Another bargain. Those DVDs with about 12 (pirated) movies on them - 75 pesos.

I take it that it would be illegal to bring them back to the UK?

Alan

You're quite right there about pirated DVD/CD movies. My hubby usually buys pirated DVDs in the car booth for £2 each :doh It's cheaper in Quiapo and Baclaran:xxgrinning--00xx3:

joebloggs
30th July 2007, 18:51
it's even cheaper to download the films yourself, and buy a divx dvd player from around £25+ , then you can put on up to 6 films on 1 dvd :xxgrinning--00xx3:, but downloading copyrighted material is :Blacklistthatsucks::BlacklistThumbdown0 so don't do it :xxgrinning--00xx3:

:D

for research and educational purposes only there is a very good copy of simpsons the movie on all good torrent sites near you now :NoNo:

joebloggs
30th July 2007, 18:55
another bargin, get your teeth :D done in the philippines...

crown on the nhs - gold colour of course :NoNo: only £197

or a white one, done private a mere £300 :icon_lol:

philippines just as good, about a 1/5 of the price :xxgrinning--00xx3:

just need to save money for the airticket :bigcry:

KeithD
30th July 2007, 19:00
Newsgroups are much quicker than Torrent.

mamichris
30th July 2007, 22:51
how bout relief goods like "ukay ukay":icon_lol:

there are ukay2x in carbon area...:xxgrinning--00xx3:
for buwad (dried fish) go to Tabo-an in Cebu. although just be careful as the area is known for junkies.
tabobanay near metro gaisano, colon is still popular for brand new clothes...as they said imported from hongkong (not sure!):NoNo:

bigtombowski
30th July 2007, 22:58
did i mention the SAN MIGUEL?

aromulus
30th July 2007, 23:03
There is a great fish restaurant in Sotokil on Mactan Island, just next to the Lapu-Lapu Shrine.
Huge selection of fresh fish, shellfish, shrimps, lobsters, squid, octopus,etc...
You choose it, get to your table and 10 minutes later is ready... served with flair... Very reasonably priced.
Six of us ate like gannets, it didn't cost £ 14...
Including the drinks.:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:
I was so impressed that we went there on a few occasions.
The taxi ride from Cebu city was less than 3 quid.
Will definitively go back again.

bigtombowski
30th July 2007, 23:05
did i mention san miguel??

aromulus
30th July 2007, 23:21
did i mention san miguel??

Yup.............. Twice already........:NoNo:

bigtombowski
30th July 2007, 23:22
3 times actually !!!

LOL

Alan
31st July 2007, 19:54
Oh - and then there's the San Miguel!!!!!!!! :)

Alan
6th August 2007, 16:55
Aromulus,

How much is the lobster? I couldn't find any when I was there.

Al

Alan
6th August 2007, 17:10
Has anyone found San Miguel for less than 18 pesos? (printed on the cap)

Al

baboyako
6th August 2007, 20:28
Hey guys dont forget San Miguel beer :xxgrinning--00xx3:

http://www.sanmiguelbeer.com.ph/Admin/images/smbplay/MainLogo/Flat%20Steinie.gif

bigtombowski
6th August 2007, 20:29
also

San Miguel's quite cheap