PDA

View Full Version : Arctic cap on course for record melt: US scientists

lastlid
22nd August 2012, 10:06
"The Arctic ice cap is melting at a startlingly rapid rate and may shrink to its smallest-ever level within weeks as the planet's temperatures rise, US scientists said Tuesday.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/arctic-cap-course-record-melt-us-scientists-211016227.html

Terpe
22nd August 2012, 10:14
Interesting report lastlid. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Slightly off-topic I know, but I was caught by this except:-

The thaw in the Arctic is rapidly transforming the geopolitics of the region, with the long forbidding ocean looking more attractive to the shipping and energy industries.

Five nations surround the Arctic Ocean -- Russia, which has about half of the coastline, along with Canada, Denmark, Norway and the United States -- but the route could see a growing number of commercial players.

The first ship from China -- the Xuelong, or Snow Dragon -- recently sailed from the Pacific to the Atlantic via the Arctic Ocean, cutting the distance by more than 40 percent.

Egill Thor Nielsson, an Icelandic scientist who participated in the expedition, said last week in Reykjavik that he expected China to be increasingly interested in the route as it was relatively easy to sail.

lastlid
22nd August 2012, 10:28
Interesting report lastlid. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Slightly off-topic I know, but I was caught by this except:-

Yes. A positive spinoff....:xxgrinning--00xx3: Perhaps the Chinese have been blasting the arctic ice with hair dryers? :D