PDA

View Full Version : Import Duty on foreign cars in the Philllipines

Anakin
4th September 2012, 14:11
A friend of mine who lives in Manila and Anilao asked me this morning about importing a European car. He's found out and I'm not sure if he's got this correct, that import duty on a European car is 100%. Does anyone know if this is true, and whether tariffs on Asian cars are lower?
eg Japanese, Korean.
Also if the car was classed as used would the duty be lower. He's after a BMW or Audi although I'm steering (:)) him towards a Jag XF.
Only we were thinking it may be easier for me to buy one with say 10,000 miles on the clock and ship it out to him.
Back to the question though, anyone know for sure what the import duty on European cars is?
Thanks in advance ...

Terpe
4th September 2012, 14:58
:icon_lol::icon_lol:

Don't even think about it!!
Seriously.

Maybe some people will tell you there are certain 'ways', but eventually there are not.

The importation of privately owned vehicles (POV's) to the Philippines is very very restrictive.

The process is long, requires a great deal of paperwork, and a special import permit.
This permit is available only in the Philippines, and can not be issued by an embassy or consulate office.

Note the following selected restrictions:-

- Right-hand driven vehicles not permitted (Even if you tried with LH drive the tax and duty would still be equal to at least 100% of the NEW CAR PRICE)

- Cars over 5 years old cannot be imported

- Gasoline-fueled cars limited to 2,800 cc not over 1,500 kgs

- Car must arrive within 60 days of customer's arrival

- All vehicles subject to taxes and duties (yes, 100% of the List Price of the car at NEW----Plus plus the you know what)

- Customer must be present for customs clearance

- All motor vehicles must have an Import Authority Permit issued by the Philippine Bureau of Import Service before the vehicle is shipped.

If you can really comply with the above and are willing to pay twice the price on top of somewhat significant shipping costs etc let me know I'll post more restrictions that are even more onerous.

Anakin
4th September 2012, 15:02
OK thanks Terpe I've got the message!
I'll copy and paste your reply in an email to my friend. He loathes paperwork so that should put him off for starters.
A non starter then. :bigcry:

grahamw48
4th September 2012, 15:09
Yes, indeed a non-starter (if you'll pardon the pun :D) ....and that's why you'll see so few European cars (apart from old ones imported many years ago, or assembled locally).

A friend of mine did send his Kawasaki 750 motorbike over in several Balikbayan boxes though. :icon_lol:

The next hurdle was sorting out the paperwork to make it road-legal in the Phils...which he managed to do. The corruption there does have its advantages at times. ;)

Anakin
4th September 2012, 15:20
having been driven around Manila a few times I personally wouldn't want to be driving a sparkly new Jaguar XF anyway. Whether it's the conspicuous consumption thing or simply the hair raising playing chicken style of driving. :D

grahamw48
4th September 2012, 16:28
I wouldn't want the paintwork scratching on mine. :omg:

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/3968/hires390pic.jpg

Anakin
4th September 2012, 18:37
that's a nice old TVR "wedge" Graham, although I had to download it as it had a big ad obscuring half of it.
A real 80s car, :)

grahamw48
4th September 2012, 18:50
Yes, I've had just about every model Wedge now...including 2x 390SEs. :)

Best thing on the V8s, apart from the speed is the NOISE . Straight through exhaust and no cats. :D

No ads on Fil/UK for me. I must have altered some of the settings somewhere. :Erm:

Anakin
4th September 2012, 19:00
yeah wasn't it a modified Rover V8? Must go like snot off a stick in the at little frame. :D

grahamw48
4th September 2012, 19:18
The 390s (not the later 400s,) were the most highly tuned engines, based on the Rover Group A SD1 circuit racers ...usually not matching the TVR claimed figure of 275bhp, but that one above is a healthy 250 with 270 torque, pulling around 1100kgs, so yes, you're going to have something pretty damn quick to keep up. :D Downside is the 15mpg. :cwm3:

My friend has a supercharged one putting out about 350bhp and 400lbs of torque. :cwm24:

Anakin
4th September 2012, 19:18
ah that's better. Looking through Chrome with an adblocker. Every time my missus sees me on this site there's tons of singles dating stuff everywhere - which doesn't go down too well.
:D

Anakin
4th September 2012, 19:20
must be an exhilarating albeit expensive ride though. Sounds great

grahamw48
4th September 2012, 19:35
I've also had a 400SE....which crash if you're not careful, but drive well bound up with gaffer tape, as in this video. :icon_lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDERsU8eqQ0

Anakin
4th September 2012, 19:41
wow that red interior is gorgeous.

Anakin
4th September 2012, 19:44
Just watched that nearby video of the Tuscans as well. Very very nice.

grahamw48
4th September 2012, 20:30
Here is the guy who I bought my 400SE off...'playing' with his 650bhp Corvette-engined TVR Cerbera. :icon_lol: Frightened me to death when he took me for a test drive in the Wedge too. :omg:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plxIlygwtDs

hawk
4th September 2012, 21:17
ok if you got money 2 burn :laugher:

grahamw48
4th September 2012, 21:57
Too true.

Tyres are too blinkin expensive to start doing that with them...on my budget. :cwm24:

I do like to do a bit of front room racing though. :D

(The cars ahead of me are in a faster class by the way).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AayPhV37-Hw&feature=relmfu