PDA

View Full Version : Philippine chefs look to take national cuisine mainstream

lastlid
13th September 2012, 08:46
"In Thailand, India, Malaysia, Japan - in fact, in almost every country in Asia - there is a distinctive, internationally acclaimed cuisine.

The Philippines though, is a rare exception. While Filipinos love their food, few foreigners have tasted or even heard of the country's signature dishes like abobo, sinigang, lumpia and pancit.

It is a situation that chef Rolando Laudico is desperate to change.

"Philippine food is as rich and varied as other Asian cuisine - even more so," he says confidently, as he sits by the window of his chic restaurant in the heart of Fort Bonifacio, Manila's new business district.

With his long hair and personally-designed outfit, Mr Laudico is one of a new generation of chefs determined to bring Philippine food to a wider audience."

"He and his wife, Jackie, run Bistro Filipino, a restaurant that serves a modern take on the national cuisine.

"We base our flavours on traditional Philippine flavours, and we get inspired by them. We innovate, we do our own style, and we make it accessible for foreigners," he says.

He is especially proud of his version of lumpia - a spring roll made with coconut palm. It is usually seen as a starter or street food, but the Laudicos have reduced the amount of oil and turned the roll into a cone."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-19541960

CBM
13th September 2012, 09:25
Now that is interesting. I can only think of one Filipino restaurant outside the Philippines - it is in Hong Kong and has been run by the same family for many years.

In the Philippines, "Illustrado" in Intramuros is a pretty good place for good filipino food but again I struggle to think of other restaurants which serve filipino dishes with a white cloth on the table...

There has been an assumption that filipino cuisine is for poor people - fatty, greasy food with simple, overpowering, flavours.

Personally, I like the characteristic "sour" taste of dishes like sinigang, and I can see that they could suceed internationally if made with greater care.

Good luck to Rolando Laudico

lastlid
13th September 2012, 11:18
I have to admit I know so little about Filipino cuisine. But when I ate in the H2O hotel restaurant last year, the food was good. I guess it depends on how it is cooked.