PDA

View Full Version : Texts and calls from UK to the Philippines..?

DanandClavs
17th September 2012, 14:45
My wife would like your advice..

How is the best and cheapest way to stay in touch with family back home ?

Obviously skype and FB are free but some of her family can only use mobiles out there in the provinces so she would like to be able to text and call.

:xxgrinning--00xx3:

DaveUK
17th September 2012, 15:13
My wife uses a combination of her UK mobile and a Filipino one.

She texts her family on her UK one making use of her free texts, and her family reply to the Filipino (SMART) pay as you go phone which I believe only costs them a peso a time.

lastlid
17th September 2012, 15:50
My wife uses a combination of her UK mobile and a Filipino one.

She texts her family on her UK one making use of her free texts, and her family reply to the Filipino (SMART) pay as you go phone which I believe only costs them a peso a time.

Dave. Which UK mobile? Presumably either Manx Telecom or Sure?

We use a similar routine.

DanandClavs
17th September 2012, 15:59
So, if i just take home a SMART sim card, will it work in a UK phone to receive texts ?

DaveUK
17th September 2012, 16:05
Dave. Which UK mobile? Presumably either Manx Telecom or Sure?

We use a similar routine.

Yep, Manx Telecom fella.

DaveUK
17th September 2012, 16:07
So, if i just take home a SMART sim card, will it work in a UK phone to receive texts ?

It will, but you need to make sure the sim card has been enabled for roaming before you leave the Philippines with it.

My wife never puts any load on the sim as there is no need to. After over 2 years, the sim has remained active, so I guess by just receiving texts it's enough for SMART to keep it activated.

DanandClavs
18th September 2012, 12:42
Great stuff.. Thanks guys :):xxgrinning--00xx3:

filbrit
18th September 2012, 13:38
use chikka messenger for free text. check this: http://www.chikka.com/faq.php

i always use this. your wife can download the app in her mobile also. receiver of text should reply (costs 2.50 pesos) after you sent two messages so you would be able to send more. but there's a trick, the number you texted and the messages are automatically saved in chikka phonebook and inbox, just keep deleting both (msgs sent and number saved) so u can send more msgs. ;)

DanandClavs
18th September 2012, 14:24
Great stuff Filbrit, Thank you :xxgrinning--00xx3: