PDA

View Full Version : Starting a business in the Philippines. Information required!

epidot
18th September 2012, 16:45
Hi,

I'm wondering how much a Salon/Parlor owner would make on average per month. Im looking to pay for my GF to start her own business in Bulacan but I have no idea what salary we would expect to bring in each month...

She has told me that she currently spends about 35,000 php each month to survive, so we would need this kind of profit after costs with the business.

Please can anyone advise if its even remotely possible to make this kind of money with a parlor which I would be looking to spend about 500,000php to build in Bulacan.

Thank you

marga
19th September 2012, 12:20
35,000 each month to survive in the philippines?:NoNo: what does she pay with that amount?

imagine
19th September 2012, 13:26
35,000 each month, thats a lot for philippines, think she wants to live like a queen:Erm:

Leen
19th September 2012, 13:42
That's what i had in mind also....we are paying for 2 properties here but our monthly expenses dont reach that amount....makes me wonder :Erm::Erm::Erm:

marga
19th September 2012, 14:00
She might be feeding their whole barangay!:icon_lol:

lastlid
19th September 2012, 14:11
My wife's sister earns 28000 each month teaching in Cavite. We worked that out the other day. I will check with my wife as I may have picked her up wrongly.

MANILA, Philippines - "Senator Ramon Revilla Jr. has called for an increase in the minimum salary of public elementary and high school teachers from the present P15,000 plus to a level close to P25,000 a month."

http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?publicationSubCategoryId=442&articleId=762930

Later correction. It,s 22000 that she earns as a teacher.

jlags90
19th September 2012, 14:41
Hi,

she currently spends about 35,000 php each month to survive

What an expensive way to survive! :icon_lol:
I earned 25% of that amount...
Paid rent...
Bought food...
Partied (sometimes)...
Helped parents out...

and I survived...

:laugher:

blessed_ekim0826
19th September 2012, 15:09
that's too much for a simple living here unless she is very high class woman.

lastlid
19th September 2012, 15:21
How much money does a person from the Philippines earn or make a day?

"From the least paid all the way to the president, I took to the streets to try to find out. The results, while holding no scientific nor Wall Street Journal like quality, are interesting nonetheless."

I say per day, as when I ask people on a lower-income, this is what they quote me, exactly:

http://www.thelongestwayhome.com/blog/philippines-journal/how-much-does-a-person-from-the-philippines-earn/

imagine
19th September 2012, 15:39
How much money does a person from the Philippines earn or make a day?

"From the least paid all the way to the president, I took to the streets to try to find out. The results, while holding no scientific nor Wall Street Journal like quality, are interesting nonetheless."

I say per day, as when I ask people on a lower-income, this is what they quote me, exactly:

http://www.thelongestwayhome.com/blog/philippines-journal/how-much-does-a-person-from-the-philippines-earn/

thats an interesting informative link:xxgrinning--00xx3: epidot in my opinion i think your being had:Erm:

Terpe
19th September 2012, 16:16
Hi,

I'm wondering how much a Salon/Parlor owner would make on average per month. Im looking to pay for my GF to start her own business in Bulacan but I have no idea what salary we would expect to bring in each month...

She has told me that she currently spends about 35,000 php each month to survive, so we would need this kind of profit after costs with the business.

Please can anyone advise if its even remotely possible to make this kind of money with a parlor which I would be looking to spend about 500,000php to build in Bulacan.

Thank you

I'm not an expert on business in the Philippines, and know nothing about the running of a Salon/Parlor.
All I can say is that your considering a significant financial outlay.
Also, no-one can possibly give any meaningful comment on the viability or otherwise of the venture you outline.
So many unknowns.

Here are some thoughts on the questions/ideas you need to establish the facts on:-

- location and size of the premises
How much is the cost/rental of similar sized establishments in that location
Is it inside a mall? or is it in the street?
What's the footfall there? how likely to capture regular business? how likely to capture and retain new business? Any competitors existing?
Location is a key aspect in any part of the world.

- Cost of utilities and ongoing supplies
Think about the monthly costs for water and energy etc for such an establishment.
Consider how many customers you want/need per day and the associated likely supply costs.

- Cost of staff
Be sure that your GF can hire/retain/train good staff. Be sure that employment requirements can be met.
How many staff? What skill levels

- Can you comply with local health and safety issues and other local legislation?
Also be aware of the liabilities that can be encountered in that type of business.
Accidents/allergies/improper procedures/customer complaints/lawsuits
Remember you are dealing with chemicals and sharp instruments

- What services will be offered?
Don't forget equipment costs can be high

- Is you G/F competent to run a profitable business?
Is she going to be a good hands-on manager that is always present on the premises?
She'll need to be.

Finally, I agree with the comments of others P35k is rather high as a 'survival' threshold in the Philippines.

Research, research research. Google can be your friend.

It's been said that to make a small fortune in the Philippines you need to start with a large one. :D

I'm not saying it can't be done. It can.
But you had better keep a very low profile, and put all your trust in your g/f

lastlid
20th September 2012, 05:58
My wife's sister earns 28000 each month teaching in Cavite. We worked that out the other day. I will check with my wife as I may have picked her up wrongly.

Later correction. After checking with the wife, it's 22000 per month that her sister earns as a teacher.

MissAna
20th September 2012, 09:18
She has told me that she currently spends about 35,000 php each month to survive,

:cwm24: sir, in my view 35,000 is a lot of money to spend in a month. i am curious of how it came up to be? is she studying? or is she also helping her family to survive? :Erm:

MissAna
20th September 2012, 10:05
Hi,

Thank you

right, i actually emailed my mom in the philippines to get information about the cost of living there and how much money would you spend to build a business just out of curiosity. She know this sort of stuff because she has lots of friends who are bussiness minded and she handles a small company in the Philippines.

cost of living in a 6 family home is:
40,000 pesos this is when me and my sister are in the college studying nursing in Cebu (except the tuition fee of course) and now since we both a college graduate,she still spends around 40k every month because rates are climbing fast!
(p.s my mom and dad are both working).

and lastly the cost to invest a business in the philippines is:
minimum of 200,000 pesos

these are only the estimates of my mum

melovesengland
20th September 2012, 10:20
Hi,

Thank you

35 grand? Is she joking? thats way to much for a living in the PI and to tell you honestly I havent seen a business in the philippines owned by white, succeeded and boomed since I left. I knew a few who ended up closing their business as its not making ANY profit and lost their money. BE CAREFUL, LOVE!

Lhailhani
20th September 2012, 15:39
:cwm24: sir, in my view 35,000 is a lot of money to spend in a month. i am curious of how it came up to be? is she studying? or is she also helping her family to survive? :Erm:

yes wondering.. she could put 15k as a savings :) 25k i spent for 2 months budget of me and my son... paying bills, groceries.. but still we ate enough and healthy food and can survive.. although i have small business like baking.. but still 35k is enough and more for a month expenses :)

Lhailhani
20th September 2012, 15:43
I guess it depend on what kind of life style the person has.. so :) if the person is thrifty she can save more for the future... and can survive everyday with simple and healthy food on the table :)..less wants and luxuries .. ;)

And my cousin just closed her parlor few months ago. :0 lotsa competitors... if u want a parlor first i guess u should know how to do that thing a beautician does.. u must know all the work inside so less people less expenses for salary part. ;)

Rhose
20th September 2012, 16:46
35,000? :yikes: she has a different kind cost of living.. and also better to think of a kind of business which you can earn your capital for a year... Lot's of competition here in business industries but if your thinking of salon especially on part of Bulacan... Being an industrial economist I would rather suggest to put your money in basic necessity business on that area ...probably it will click and your gf will earn lots rather than in a salon. You will never regret to put your money on it.

lastlid
20th September 2012, 16:48
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAmhLQqybKg&feature=relmfu

Lhailhani
20th September 2012, 16:53

:icon_lol::icon_lol:

Rhose
20th September 2012, 17:06
good idea lastlid.... taho factory

lastlid
20th September 2012, 17:22
good idea lastlid.... taho factory

Yes. I love Taho. :xxgrinning--00xx3: In fact I wondered if it could be sold here in the summer...:D

lastlid
20th September 2012, 17:25
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSSZZFj85L8&feature=relmfu

Rhose
20th September 2012, 17:45
Yes. I love Taho. :xxgrinning--00xx3: In fact I wondered if it could be sold here in the summer...:D
why not!! :D

lastlid
20th September 2012, 17:47
why not!! :D

Yes. On the promenade in Blackpool or something....:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Rhose
20th September 2012, 17:48
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSSZZFj85L8&feature=relmfu

great! a big income in transportation.. :xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

Rory
20th September 2012, 19:21
My wife as a budget and she lives very well there as we wait for her to be here.

Rent 8,000
Internet 1,300
Water 700
Electric 4000 ( i know, this is big. Air-con on most of the time)
Others 8000 ( Broken down as 2000 a week for personal items, clothes, food, etc)

Total 22,000 peso and she lives like a queen. I know she can save money as well out of the 8000 peso for personal use that is on the list above.

My wife was not working when we first meet. To keep her busy as well i invested 50,000 peso in a small business to keep her occupied while we await for her visa. 40,000 in stock, 10,000 for hangers, mannequins, business license and first 2 months rent. Rent was 3,000 a month. The mark-up on each item was 30-50% from cost. She made enough money to pay the rent and a little more. She thought the 3,000 peso a month was to much so she closed the store and started to sell on the wet market, 30 peso a day rent but reduced the mark-up.
All this was to keep her busy and it works, she wants to work every day, that is normal there, she sells on the internet and her brother sell clothing for her in the mountains as a walking market.
Making money is very hard there, 35,000 peso a month from a saloon is a huge net profit per month. All i am expecting to make from my wife's business is my money back or a lot of shorts,jeans, dresses and shoes coming here but it will all have been worth it was she is very happy working for herself.

Only my personal opinion but i think you are dreaming if you think you can make 35,000 profit from a 500,000 outlay. That is an 84% return per annum. I work in accounts and i know that sort of figure is unrealistic. As businesses go, starting from scratch you are going to make a lose the first year, might break even after 2-3 and can make some money from year 3+. If you are buying a on-going concern then you can not buy a business for 500,000 peso that is making 420,000 net profit a year.

Sorry for being so negative, i have my eyes wide open and this is only my opinion, please prove me wrong and go for your dreams.

stevewool
20th September 2012, 20:05
wise words rory:xxgrinning--00xx3:

junior02
20th September 2012, 20:49
Hi,

Thank you

I used to get my hair trimed in a parlour in manila for 70peso my kids 50peso and it was a nice place,so to make 35000per month is a lot of heads.

imagine
20th September 2012, 21:40
I used to get my hair trimed in a parlour in manila for 70peso my kids 50peso and it was a nice place,so to make 35000per month is a lot of heads.

yeah ,, heads would have to roll:rolleyes: so to speak :icon_lol:

lastlid
20th September 2012, 21:49

580 heads a month.
142 heads a week
24 a day........

lastlid
20th September 2012, 21:53
It all makes 22000 a month as a teacher, a good salary....

irishman12
20th September 2012, 23:00
there are a lot of things done in a hair salon besides trimming -straightening and heat treatment costs around 3000 peso

lastlid
20th September 2012, 23:02
there are a lot of things done in a hair salon besides trimming -straightening and heat treatment costs around 3000 peso

My wife's hair rebonding was 3000.

gWaPito
20th September 2012, 23:55
In all honesty, you would be better finding something to do with that half million pesos here in UK.

Its hard enough starting a new business under ideal conditions here but, there in Phils you've got numerous other obstacles to out navigate around.

Heed the advice been given here...its hard enough for the locals to make a living let alone a whiteman muscling in on there action.

Either way, Good Luck

gWaPito
21st September 2012, 00:36
Btw :D

If you are still hell bent on starting a business over in the Philippines with half million pesos which has been said isn't very much...give franchises a serious thought

At least you and your wife are not out on a limb...you are buying into a proven business plan with minimal costs.

A good place to start looking is at sulit dot com dot ph

Many businesses/franchises for sale there. Just take your time chosing.

Nothing ventured nothing gained :D

London_Manila
21st September 2012, 02:25
Hi,

Thank you

35k a month :yikes:

Look mate she is taking the piss big time, seems others on this forum agree as well

thats way too much, if she cant survive on 15k then there is something wrong

as for opening a business dont waste your money on a parlor

if you do open a parlor with this girl then expect constant demands for more money

need to buy more stock, the electric is not working, blocked drains, and any other excuse she can come up with

she will use the excuse of you opening a shop to bleed you dry

For me just that fact that she tells you she needs 35k a month to SURVIVE speaks volumes :NoNo:

Arthur Little
21st September 2012, 02:54
if she cant survive on 15k then there is something wrong

:iagree: ...

For me just that fact that she tells you she needs 35k a month to SURVIVE speaks volumes :NoNo:

... :anerikke: ... sadly, :bigcry: it does, I'm afraid.

gWaPito
21st September 2012, 11:47
Really:NoNo:, we shouldn't judge others by our own standards...not everyone is living on the bread line. The £ 500 he is sending every month cld well be the equivalent to chicken feed to him.

The question he has posed is not about his lady's allowance but the business idea....lets be positive here and keep to the subject :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Rhose
21st September 2012, 12:28
Btw :D

If you are still hell bent on starting a business over in the Philippines with half million pesos which has been said isn't very much...give franchises a serious thought

At least you and your wife are not out on a limb...you are buying into a proven business plan with minimal costs.
:D

:xxgrinning--00xx3: :xxgrinning--00xx3: :xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3: half a million is big enough capital in franchise cart... one of the famous franchise business cost 300,000.

gWaPito
21st September 2012, 13:59
:xxgrinning--00xx3: :xxgrinning--00xx3: :xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3: half a million is big enough capital in franchise cart... one of the famous franchise business cost 300,000.

:xxgrinning--00xx3:....with the remaining 200 k you cld put down a good size rental deposit on a premises and buy the all important equipment to go with whatever franchise you go with.

Remember this as well...the years one two and three plan as mentioned here does not work in the Philippines...it'll be more like 7 to 10 years before making acceptable profit...you gotta accept you'll be funding for a long time...accept that then if profit comes early it'll be a bonus :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Another piece of advice...keep involvement from others to a bear minimum....again bear this in mind when chosing your franchise.

Trust is very hard to come by even when you wld think many wld be grateful for the employment :NoNo:

Good Luck :xxgrinning--00xx3:

gWaPito
21st September 2012, 15:32
Another idea on how to spend your £ 8 k is this :)
Obviously it depends on your motives but lets say you got some family out there who are young able bodied males ....why not provide them with tricycles...you provide the deposits and cash for the side cars...hey presto!...you now provided employment for many a good year...thus providing independence and the means for them to start their own families.

A portion of there income from the tricycles will pay the monthly instalments.

Or :D...you cld buy a second hand jeepney...joking aside...obviously you wouldn't be driving it...you would hire it out...in Manila there would be no end of takers....the going rate is 1, 200 per 12hr shift...remember you cant work the jeep everyday because of the number plate system...you also gotta allow for servicing and clutch replacement :NoNo:..again, choice of drivers can make or break you.

Or you could buy a new taxi for airport runs..again im talking about Manila..busiest airport in the Philippines thus the most passengers :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Many opportunities..you just gotta chose wisely. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

London_Manila
22nd September 2012, 02:13
Another idea on how to spend your £ 8 k is this :)
Obviously it depends on your motives but lets say you got some family out there who are young able bodied males ....why not provide them with tricycles...you provide the deposits and cash for the side cars...hey presto!...you now provided employment for many a good year...thus providing independence and the means for them to start there own families.

A portion of there income from the tricycles will pay the monthly instalments.

Or :D...you cld buy a second hand jeepney...joking aside...obviously you wouldn't be driving it...you would hire it out...in Manila there would be no end of takers....the going rate is 1, 200 per 12hr shift...remember you cant work the jeep everyday because of the number plate system...you also gotta allow for servicing and clutch replacement :NoNo:..again, choice of drivers can make or break you.

Or you could buy a new taxi for airport runs..again im talking about Manila..busiest airport in the Philippines thus the most passengers :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Many opportunities..you just gotta chose wisely. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Looked into buying a couple of jeepneys a few years back

paying for the route and buying the jeepney is the easy part

Finding a driver who wont rip you off is the hard bit

London_Manila
22nd September 2012, 02:20
Really:NoNo:, we shouldn't judge others by our own standards...not everyone is living on the bread line. The £ 500 he is sending every month cld well be the equivalent to chicken feed to him.

The question he has posed is not about his lady's allowance but the business idea....lets be positive here and keep to the subject :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Dont expect me or anyone else to become positive about another kanu being taken for a ride !

Nothing to do about judging anyone on any other standards

35K is way too much.............................:doh

Rhose
22nd September 2012, 04:42
Dont expect me or anyone else to become positive about another kanu being taken for a ride !

On the other hand he's only asking an idea about the business. Lets not jump into conclusion about the the 35k for her gf. We should give him advise how and where he can put his half a million.

eliza
22nd September 2012, 06:54
Epidot you don't have a obligation to build a bussness for her now bcoz she is only your gf not wife.....

Think twice properly before you action,if you really want to build that bussness start in100k bcoz your not sure yet if your bussness become success....... :cwm3:

stevewool
22nd September 2012, 07:02
rooms or apartments, i have been told are a good investment, look for long term growth, that is something Ems would like to do, knock down her dads place then put up about 7 apartments, room only, but we shall see, all depends on what money is spare and is not needed

fred
25th September 2012, 16:41
rooms or apartments, i have been told are a good investment, look for long term growth, that is something Ems would like to do, knock down her dads place then put up about 7 apartments, room only, but we shall see, all depends on what money is spare and is not needed

Yes Steve but location is a huge factor in who will be renting your units and how you will have to calculate your income or ROI (return of investment) . There are some excellent locations here still but prices are beginning to get a bit silly .. Panglao is getting that way now as the airport construction will start next year. Tons of construction projects all over the island including new perimeter ,central and provincial roads.. New punters jostling for position all over the island.

melovesengland
25th September 2012, 17:21

I must admit he got point here. 35k every month is way too much and to be honest no business in the PI succeeded much recently as people in the Philippines can only afford 3 times a meal everyday or even less which is sad and thats the TRUTH.

EPIDOT, THINK AS MUCH AS YOU CAN BEFORE SPENDING THAT AMOUNT OF MONEY.

London_Manila
27th September 2012, 03:42

I will be pulling the plug on my internet shop in Makati when i get back there in November

It has taken a nosedive recently and i am not prepared to keep on funding the place

They want to double my rent so thats the end of that...

I have already found a buyer for the pc's and the other partners want out as well

My best advice would be to say dont outlay too much money on anything in the philippines

The money is best left in the bank and just live the good life in a RENTED apartment :)
No hassle and you dont need a fast exit plan ;)

As for laying out 500,000 pesos on a beauty parlor thats just crazy

Mrs.P
27th September 2012, 06:10
The gf looks familiar! I am also from bulacan. The girl has a bf im not just sure if they are still together

jake
27th September 2012, 07:40
Hi,
Yes it is possible to make that much money owning a parlor in the Philippines if she knows how to run it properly. One of my wife's friends married to a German guy started with one and now has 5. They recently just opened another one and spent 700,000 pesos refurbishing it.
Does she own the land or is it to be rented?

tiger31
27th September 2012, 08:56
to cut a long story short take your 500,000 to a casino and put it on the table at least you might have a chance of a return .do not invest in a parlour my friend trust me its money down the drain .your g f sounds like a high flyer which is bringing up red flags to me .as others have said 35,000 is far to much i live here so i know what im talking about .my rent is 5000 pesos a month for a 2 bed appartment so why does she need 35 k ?

jake
27th September 2012, 11:18
Although i agree with that the gf sounds like a high flyer doesn't mean that a parlor wont work. If you run a business here and do it properly it can succeed. I also have lived here for 14 years and everybody i spoke to said you cant make money with a business here. They where wrong!
to cut a long story short take your 500,000 to a casino and put it on the table at least you might have a chance of a return .do not invest in a parlour my friend trust me its money down the drain .your g f sounds like a high flyer which is bringing up red flags to me .as others have said 35,000 is far to much i live here so i know what im talking about .my rent is 5000 pesos a month for a 2 bed appartment so why does she need 35 k ?

simply.gurl
27th September 2012, 11:57
35,000 thousand.. peso?? more than enough.... woowww:omg:
whereabouts in bulacan does she live?? I am from bulacan :)

simply.gurl
27th September 2012, 12:02
Eliza you are 100 % right... thats good advice for epidot... think twice epidot ( lol )..... :xxgrinning--00xx3:

tiger31
27th September 2012, 13:18
Although i agree with that the gf sounds like a high flyer doesn't mean that a parlor wont work. If you run a business here and do it properly it can succeed. I also have lived here for 14 years and everybody i spoke to said you cant make money with a business here. They where wrong!yes you can make money but you need lots of money to get going don,t forget your going against the locals who have a big advantage in the way things are done here .good contacts are a must ,if you are spending big you will attract the attention of the local politicians who will want a slice of the action.

tiger31
27th September 2012, 13:19
The gf looks familiar! I am also from bulacan. The girl has a bf im not just sure if they are still together

bingo i rest my case

Trefor
27th September 2012, 17:43
Where's Eipdot gone?

I do hope there is no attempted dodgy dealing here mate, keep us updated.

T/.

London_Manila
27th September 2012, 19:55

lolz :laugher:

I thought most there had a pinoy bf or husband hanging around in the background......;)

London_Manila
27th September 2012, 19:57
yes you can make money but you need lots of money to get going don,t forget your going against the locals who have a big advantage in the way things are done here .good contacts are a must ,if you are spending big you will attract the attention of the local politicians who will want a slice of the action.

Maybe i just got fed up with having to bribe EVERYONE for anything :cwm23:

London_Manila
27th September 2012, 20:05
Eliza you are 100 % right... thats good advice for epidot... think twice epidot ( lol )..... :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I doubt that he will think twice.....he is loved up at the moment and his gf is not like all the rest :rolleyes:

If i had a peso for every time i have heard that one !

bigmarco
27th September 2012, 20:19
He might be thinking twice as he hasn't come back since he posted the thread. Mind you Mrs P #51 probably hasn't helped matters.

junior02
27th September 2012, 21:14
I will be pulling the plug on my internet shop in Makati when i get back there in November

It has taken a nosedive recently and i am not prepared to keep on funding the place

They want to double my rent so thats the end of that...

I have already found a buyer for the pc's and the other partners want out as well

My best advice would be to say dont outlay too much money on anything in the philippines

The money is best left in the bank and just live the good life in a RENTED apartment :)
No hassle and you dont need a fast exit plan ;)

As for laying out 500,000 pesos on a beauty parlor thats just crazy

Very good advice:xxgrinning--00xx3: But a lot of people go to RP and leave ther brains at the airport..

jake
28th September 2012, 00:08
You don't necessarily need loads of money to get going here. 120,000 pesos was what we started with. Locals dont have a bigger advantage than you once you learn how things are done here. If anything i would say foreigners have the advantage once they are fluent in the language. Can see your point as have watched many a foreigner come here and fail but most of the time it was there fault. Sometimes they think they no better than the locals. Big mistake!
yes you can make money but you need lots of money to get going don,t forget your going against the locals who have a big advantage in the way things are done here .good contacts are a must ,if you are spending big you will attract the attention of the local politicians who will want a slice of the action.

Arthur Little
28th September 2012, 00:44
Hi,

Please can anyone advise ... I would be looking to spend about 500,000php to build in Bulacan.

Having browsed through the many views put forward on this thread since you first posted ... MY advice - for what it's worth - is inclined to be: EPIDON'T! :nono-1-1: No offence intended.

fred
28th September 2012, 01:02
You don't necessarily need loads of money to get going here. 120,000 pesos was what we started with. Locals dont have a bigger advantage than you once you learn how things are done here. If anything i would say foreigners have the advantage once they are fluent in the language. Can see your point as have watched many a foreigner come here and fail but most of the time it was there fault. Sometimes they think they no better than the locals. Big mistake!

Hey Jake..Im a bit curious! What business did you start? Obviously you dont have to answer that if you would rather not as that is personal stuff. Anyway..I give you enormous credit to start and succeed with only 120k.
I think the reason a lot of people fail here is due to the fact that even though they have never run a business in their home countries they truly believe that becoming a businessman here will be sooo easy due to the fact that they have a few grand to invest whilst local need to borrow capital from 5/6 lenders etc.
Another big reason why they fail is because they trust their in laws to help them run it!!

tiger31
28th September 2012, 04:30
your right fred interest rates are around 18 percent here ,very hard for locals to make money thats why they keep borrowing and getting deeper and deeper thinking things will get better .also if a local see you making money they will open up the same thing right next to you.when i opened our sari sari store there was nobody within 100 yards either side of me .but 2 months later someone opened one right opposite me .it happens all the time so now the store is making peanuts .I did,nt open it to make lots of money as i know full well what to expect its more of a hobby for g f to keep her busy .I would never invest serious money here ,too many pitfalls to many backhanders to deal with.

jake
29th September 2012, 06:26
Hi,
I don't have a problem answering that as i would like to share my experiences here.
We manufacture and sell footwear in Liliw Laguna. There are roughly 50 shops in the town that have the same business. To most people that may seem like a lot of competition but if anything it makes you strive to provide a better quality product at competitive prices. We make a good living and its more than i would working in the UK.
Have watched over the years quite a few brits/europeans/americans come here and they have set up businesses which have failed. There are various reasons why but id say there main reason for failure was the fact they didn't spend there time actually running it!
None of my wife's family are directly involved with our business apart from the weekends when her nieces work as salesladies.
Hey Jake..Im a bit curious! What business did you start? Obviously you dont have to answer that if you would rather not as that is personal stuff. Anyway..I give you enormous credit to start and succeed with only 120k.
I think the reason a lot of people fail here is due to the fact that even though they have never run a business in their home countries they truly believe that becoming a businessman here will be sooo easy due to the fact that they have a few grand to invest whilst local need to borrow capital from 5/6 lenders etc.
Another big reason why they fail is because they trust their in laws to help them run it!!

fred
29th September 2012, 15:16
Hi,
I don't have a problem answering that as i would like to share my experiences here.
We manufacture and sell footwear in Liliw Laguna. There are roughly 50 shops in the town that have the same business. To most people that may seem like a lot of competition but if anything it makes you strive to provide a better quality product at competitive prices. We make a good living and its more than i would working in the UK.
Have watched over the years quite a few brits/europeans/americans come here and they have set up businesses which have failed. There are various reasons why but id say there main reason for failure was the fact they didn't spend there time actually running it!
None of my wife's family are directly involved with our business apart from the weekends when her nieces work as salesladies.

OK.. Well fair play to you! Its not often we hear about success stories of this kind in the R.P where Brits are involved.. Keep it up. You may be the next shoemart!!

tiger31
30th September 2012, 06:17
mmm 71 posts and no reply from the o p epidot where are you ?