PDA

View Full Version : Adoption & settlement questions

shalona
23rd September 2012, 09:41
Hi :)
We are a quarter the way through the time to when we will apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain for my wife & 6 yrs old step daughter ..... I would like to adopt my step daughter now we are here in the UK ... but am concerned on the timings of doing so because she is in the middle of qualifying period before we apply for ILR. I am aware once a child is adopted they gain British Citizenship. However this is not why I am adopting, it is for family reasons solely & we would have done in the Philippines if we had time to there previoulsy. We are keen to do it as soon as we are able though now we have home, schooling & ordinary life in UK. Do you think it will be not allowed for me to adopt as she is here on a LTR visa and therefore just need to wait until that is completed first? Or will it be looked upon iunfavourably by the UKBA/Home Office? Or could we with confidence go ahead and start adoption applications?
..The last thing we wish to do is also jeapordize a future positive decision the UKBA will hopefully make on the ILR applications ....:yikes:
thks
:)

joebloggs
23rd September 2012, 10:02
some people have managed to adopt their step kids on here, but i think many dont bother.

but i think you might be wrong about the child gaining British citizenship once they are adopted, i think you still need to register the child as British as under 18yrs cannot apply to become British citizens.

most people register their kids/step kids as British when the spouse applies to become a British citizen.