PDA

View Full Version : John Terry Banned

lastlid
27th September 2012, 15:07
John Terry has just been found guilty by the FA and has been awarded a 4 game ban plus a £220k fine.

Found guilty of using racial language.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19723020

bigmarco
27th September 2012, 15:41
I think the whole world knew they were going to find him guilty despite him being cleared in a court of Law. Lets face it I have about as much regard for the FA as I do for Politicians.
After Sven, Faria Alam et al who can take these knobs seriously.

Dedworth
27th September 2012, 16:34
The FA what a bunch of t0ssers :angry:

There's only one England Captain

Arthur Little
27th September 2012, 16:51
:anerikke: ... presumably the Football Association don't want to APPEAR to be doing "FA" about the incident.

:laughitupsmilie: ... piece of NONSENSE!

KeithD
27th September 2012, 17:35
So JT gets a 4 match ban and a one week wage fine .... off lightly if you ask me, especially compared to suarez the benchmark they set last year.

Remember, you get a 3 match ban for a red card in most cases, and just one more for racial comments!! :Erm:

We know fines don't work, match bans are the only thing that really hurts a player.

And is 4 weeks and £200,000+ the norm from now on? So if a player in the Championship does the same thing he'll have to pay out a few years wages as a fine? :crazy:

Not sure why some folk seem to think because he was found not guilty in a court of law over a different charge he can't be found guilty by his bosses. If a school teacher for instance is accussed of being a peodo, he may be found not guilty in a court of law, but should the school authorities leave it at that? Of course not, they then hold an inquiry and on the balance of probabilites he may be found guilty of inappropriate behaviour and sacked, the legal case is usually a different, but related charge, but has to be proven beyond reasonable doubt. That is how our system works in this country.

You can be found not guilty of murder in a court of law, but in a private prosecution afterwards the defendant can be found guilty.

Listening to the radio, and watching Sky Sports, most ex-players and pundits seem to think he got off lightly, and I agree.

lastlid
27th September 2012, 18:43
Just because JT got off with it in a court of law doesn't mean he wasn't guilty.

bigmarco
27th September 2012, 20:01
Nice to see the BBC with the usual rent a gob mp. This time it's Damian Collins who thinks Terry should repent. I wonder did he advise his own chief whip to do the same after calling a Policeman a :censored: Pleb.

andy222
27th September 2012, 20:09
Nice to see the BBC with the usual rent a gob mp. This time it's Damian Collins who thinks Terry should repent. I wonder did he advise his own chief whip to do the same after calling a Policeman a :censored: Pleb.
Fair comment marco.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Dedworth
27th September 2012, 21:08

I wonder what bile Channel 4 News came out with they're to the left of the BBC

bigmarco
27th September 2012, 21:13
I wonder what bile Channel 4 News came out with they're to the left of the BBC

They'll probably have 30 odd members of the Ferdinand family on in tears

London_Manila
28th September 2012, 17:24
Being a QPR supporter (we support our local team from where i come from) i am not a big fan of JT
Chelsea are not exactly flavor of the month in W12 and never will be...lol
JT'S antics over the years has proved that he is not a very nice individual at all
But after saying this i do think the FA should have let the court case stand

I watched TERRY being run ragged by Liverpool at the end of last season :icon_lol:

As for QPR its about time they sacked MH and gave the job to HARRY REDKNAPP
MH buys plenty of players and then does not know what to do with them....
MH could not do anything with MAN CITY and yes the Qatar lot did stick with him for a while
Its seems that managers are not judged on their past performance these days = AVB and MH :NoNo:

lastlid
28th September 2012, 18:23
Queens Park Rangers

I remember the days of Stan Bowles, Gerry Francis and Rodney Marsh. What a team they had back then! My cousin signed on with QPR as a schoolboy about then and eventually played for England schoolboys, but never made it into the first team as a player. He was sold on to an up and coming Wimbledon. Ended up as scout for a range of London clubs over the years.

bigmarco
28th September 2012, 18:48
Queens Park Rangers

I remember the days of Stan Bowles, Gerry Francis and Rodney Marsh. What a team they had back then! My cousin signed on with QPR as a schoolboy about then and eventually played for England schoolboys, but never made it into the first team as a player. He was sold on to an up and coming Wimbledon. Ended up as scout for a range of London clubs over the years.

Yep that was a good side back then. I remember going to QPR v Chelsea when they had the artificial pitch.My best time at QPR though wasn't for Football though it was the night Barry McGuigan beat Pedroza for the World Title. A great night.

lastlid
28th September 2012, 18:54
Yep that was a good side back then. I remember going to QPR v Chelsea when they had the artificial pitch.My best time at QPR though wasn't for Football though it was the night Barry McGuigan beat Pedroza for the World Title. A great night.

Never been to QPR but did go to Stamford bridge one year to see Chelsea v West Ham. It is so long ago that I remember very little about it.

Dedworth
28th September 2012, 18:54
I watched TERRY being run ragged by Liverpool at the end of last season :icon_lol:

Was that the FA Cup Final or the game where we were taking it easy before becoming European Champions ? :icon_lol:

lastlid
29th September 2012, 15:45
Should John Terry appeal?

KeithD
29th September 2012, 18:13
After reading this about the Suarez case http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...z-patrice-evra (http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/jan/01/fa-report-luis-suarez-patrice-evra) it shwos that it was a cultural difference between the meaning of the word negro and no racism was meant by it.

The fact that Evra thought the translation was something else multiple times shows that he believed he was being racially abused but wasn't.

I know myself from numerous visits to Asia and America that the word negro is not racist, nor is the word nigger in Asia, it just means, as confirmed in the FA report, it means 'black'. I take it this Time reporter is racist http://ideas.time.com/2012/09/26/the...alls-to-earth/ (http://ideas.time.com/2012/09/26/the-magical-negro-falls-to-earth/) :rolleyes:

So how the hell the FA done him for racial comments from that evidence I don't know :NoNo: .... and apart from Chelsea supporters, I can only really find comments by the media/players/ex-players/etc saying Terry has basically got off with a worse offence than Suarez :xxaction-smiley-047

Interesting comments from The Independent: http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/f...t-8182578.html (http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/why-a-fourgame-ban-for-john-terry-when-liverpool-striker-luis-suarez-was-suspended-for-eight-8182578.html)
There are comparisons to be made with Luis Suarez's case. The Liverpool striker was not judged to be "racist" – as with Terry – but received an eight-game ban because he used "negro" seven times. His suspension was also lengthened because he was an "international footballer playing for one of the best known clubs in the world… a position that carries a particular degree of responsibility. This is a serious breach of that responsibility." What is John Terry, captain of Chelsea, if not an international player with one of the best known clubs in the world?

What I don't understand is that the Terry evidence is based on the fact Terry states he was only repeating what Ferdinand said!!! So Ferdinand called him a "f****** black c***" :Erm: .... is Terry 'black' then?? :Erm::Erm::Erm:

lastlid
29th September 2012, 18:25
What I don't understand is that the Terry evidence is based on the fact Terry states he was only repeating what Ferdinand said!!! So Ferdinand called him a "f****** black c***" :Erm: .... is Terry 'black' then?? :Erm::Erm::Erm:

I do not believe for one minute that Ferdinand called Terry that. :icon_lol: Only Chelsea supporters will believe that.

To me that is as good as evidence against JT. Like he has shot himself in the foot.

London_Manila
1st October 2012, 18:40
Never been to QPR but did go to Stamford bridge one year to see Chelsea v West Ham. It is so long ago that I remember very little about it.

LOFTUS ROAD really is a great ground to view a live match
Its only a small ground compared to many others but you are right close to the action
Watching the "big" teams there like Man United and Liverpool really is a joy :)

Losing at home to Reading the other night was a new low.............
I just wonder how long Fernandes is going to stick with MH surely the clock must be ticking

lastlid
18th October 2012, 12:25
JT has decided not to appeal against his ban.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19989136

bigmarco
18th October 2012, 13:12
A true leader.
I'm sure his decision was based on whats good for the club and not necessarily himself.
Englands Loss.

KeithD
18th October 2012, 13:43
A true leader.
I'm sure his decision was based on whats good for the club and not necessarily himself.
Englands Loss.

:Erm: I've lost count of how many times he's brought the sport into disrepute, not the qualities of a leader!!

I notice Chelski say they have disciplined him but are keeping it private :NoNo: What a let off, and under the carpet job :action-smiley-081: ... in the current enviroment his punishment needs to be made public to send a clear message to all players.

bigmarco
18th October 2012, 16:02
I believe that most of the top clubs deal with their disciplinary matters internally. I'm sure this has happened at Man Utd on many occassions.
Did Liverpool discipline Suarez for his comments to Evra ?

Dedworth
18th October 2012, 16:48
A true leader.
Englands Loss.

Exactly Marco. England have shot themselves in the foot here with their shabby treatment of him this last couple of years I'm surprised he didn't tell them to stuff it much earlier. I don't hold out any hopes for us if the likes of Rooney are considered Captain material

bigmarco
18th October 2012, 17:06
Exactly Marco. England have shot themselves in the foot here with their shabby treatment of him this last couple of years I'm surprised he didn't tell them to stuff it much earlier. I don't hold out any hopes for us if the likes of Rooney are considered Captain material

Yep it was a sad day for alot of us when the prostitute loving pikey was handed the captains arm band

KeithD
18th October 2012, 17:11
Did Liverpool discipline Suarez for his comments to Evra ?

Nope as he shouldn't have been found guilty based on the evidence, but the FA needed to make a point after what was happening with Terry. Read the evidence of the case, it's online, and you'll understand why so many professional in and out of football can't understand how Terry's offence, which they all agree was worse, 'got off with it'. Even Fergie couldn't understand why he got less than Suarez.

bigmarco
18th October 2012, 17:49
Nope as he shouldn't have been found guilty based on the evidence, but the FA needed to make a point after what was happening with Terry. Read the evidence of the case, it's online, and you'll understand why so many professional in and out of football can't understand how Terry's offence, which they all agree was worse, 'got off with it'. Even Fergie couldn't understand why he got less than Suarez.

We live in a world where we now have to be careful of everything we say infront of people of colour for fear of causing offence. Terms that were acceptable years ago are now no longer allowed because in many cases quite rightly they cause offence.
Yet you deem the use of the word NEGRO to a black man on an English football pitch not once but 7 times as not offensive and at the same time say that a player who alledges he said " He said I called him a black C--T" is guilty of a worse offence.
As I said earlier I know it's trendy these days to have a pop at Chelsea but that's stretching it a bit.

raynaputi
18th October 2012, 19:06
I'm not being racist here but to most Filipinos, the word negro or negra (for the females) is still widely used..even the word negrito/negrita..it's a common banter or jokes too to someone (yeah even Filipinos) who has darker skin than the usual..I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but it's just common term there. If someone would call out it's foul or racist, lots of Filipinos would be guilty, young and old.

According to Wikipidea:

The word “Negro” is used in the English-speaking world to refer to a person of black ancestry or appearance. The word negro denotes 'black' in the Spanish and Portuguese speaking vocabulary, or from the ancient Latin, niger, 'black', probably from a Proto-Indo-European root *nekw-, 'to be dark', akin to *nokw- 'night'.

In other languages

In Portuguese, negro is an adjective for the color black, although preto is the most common antonym of branco (white). In Brazil and Portugal, negro is the most respectful way to address people of Black African descent, with preto sometimes being considered politically incorrect or a racial slur.

In Spain, Mexico and almost all of Latin-America, negro (note that ethnonyms, names of nationalities, etc. are generally not capitalized in Romance languages) means "black person" in colloquial situations, but it can be considered to be derogatory in other situations (as in English, "black" is often used to mean irregular or undesirable, as in "black market/mercado negro"). However, in Spanish-speaking countries such as Argentina, Chile, and Uruguay where there are few people of African origin and appearance, negro (negra for females) is commonly used to refer to partners, close friends or people in general independent of skin color. In Venezuela the word negro is similarly used, despite its large African descent population.

It is similar to the use of the word "nigga" in urban communities in the United States. For example, one might say to a friend, "Negro ¿Como andas? (literally "Hey, black one, how are you doing?"). In this case, the diminutive negrito is used, as a term of endearment meaning "pal", "buddy" or "friend". Negrito has come to be used to refer to a person of any ethnicity or color, and also can have a sentimental or romantic connotation similar to "sweetheart", or "dear" in English (in the Philippines, negrito was used for a local dark-skinned short person, living in the Negros islands among other places).

In other Spanish-speaking South American countries, the word negro can also be employed in a roughly equivalent form, though it is not usually considered to be as widespread as in Argentina or Uruguay (except perhaps in a limited regional and/or social context). In Brazil, it heavily depends on the region. In Rio de Janeiro, for example, where the main racial slur against black people is crioulo (literally creole i.e. American-born African), preto/preta and pretinho/pretinha can along extremely informal situations be used the same ways as negro/negra and negrito/negrita in Spanish-speaking South American, but it heavily changes in the nearby state of São Paulo, where crioulo is considered an archaism and preto is the most used racial slur against black people, thus all kind of use of the preto word can be deemed as offensive.

Read more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negro

KeithD
19th October 2012, 08:42
If you read the official report Big marco you'd clearly see that on every occassion Suarez spoke, Evra misheard him and he has since admitted this, however the FA still found Suarez guilty, that is why LFC stood behind him, unlike Terry who admitted what he said and also had video evidence against him, Suarez was found guitly even after the main witness admitted his own translation errors at the time of the incident.

bigmarco
19th October 2012, 14:08
If you read the official report Big marco you'd clearly see that on every occassion Suarez spoke, Evra misheard him and he has since admitted this, however the FA still found Suarez guilty, that is why LFC stood behind him, unlike Terry who admitted what he said and also had video evidence against him, Suarez was found guitly even after the main witness admitted his own translation errors at the time of the incident.

http://www.thefa.com/TheFA/Disciplinary/NewsAndFeatures/2011/~/media/Files/PDF/TheFA/Disciplinary/Written%20reasons/FA%20v%20Suarez%20Written%20Reasons%20of%20Regulatory%20Commission.ashx

Well I have now read the report and have seen nothing that will change my opinion. I am perfectly prepared to believe what Rayna says about the term Negro but caution that she is explaining that as a Filipina and not as a South American or more importantly a Uruguyan. 2 reports were submitted by Language experts prior to the hearing which did in fact confirm that Negro can also be used as an offensive insult in Suarez country and neither of these experts opinions were contested by either Suarez or his legal team as they would have called them for cross examination.
Evra indeed admitted immediately afterwards and before the hearing that he understood Negro meant black and not Nigger, but if you answer the questions, 1 why did you kick me or other questions with the answer because you are black then there can be no doubt that this is racist comment although Evra does concede that he does not believe Suarez is a racist.
If you read the report impartially you can have no doubt that the hearing was as fair as it could possibly be and the outcome was correct although I do disagree with the penalty imposed. I have linked the report for anyone who has a couple of hours to spare.

KeithD
19th October 2012, 15:47
Well I have now read the report and have seen nothing that will change my opinion. I am perfectly prepared to believe what Rayna says about the term Negro but caution that she is explaining that as a Filipina and not as a South American or more importantly a Uruguyan.
It means eactly the same thing in Asia as it does in S America.

Most words can be used in an offensive manner, it is not the words themselves but the context, and proving context against a player is pretty impossible as the courts found out in the Terry case, which should never have gone to court as he's clearly not a racist either, we all say things in the heat of battle ... especially socusers :wink: :biggrin:

Suarez should have got a warning, but then again he should have got 8 match ban for his stupid falling over the other day :Cuckoo: