PDA

View Full Version : what options for spouse?

bikeinbatangas
3rd October 2012, 22:23
hi, i looked around the forum and couldn't find the info i need so am putting out a request for ideas.
i read in a thread that for spouse visa you need £18,600 income to apply, i have been to the official website and i have read it there too. well i am wondering what happens to those of us who are below that figure.

i met my fiancee in person last december. i go back to meet her in 3 weeks time, our daughter is due end of october. we have a wedding date planned for december in philippines. she doesnt want to apply for visa this year, but prefers to return with me after my visit next year.

i am wondering what my options are for bringing my future wife and kid to the uk, if even for a year or two visit. i am self employed and nowhere near 18 grand income. i presumed bringing her here would be a snip when we were married with a kid, but now i'm not so sure, so how rigid is the £18,000 rule?

i just read a post that a woman (Jazz?) got a visa though she and her husband are unemployed and she has £2500 in the bank. she has been in the relationship for 5 years which i guess helped.

am i likely to have trouble in getting a spouse visa on low income? by the time we apply we will have been together 2 years and married 1 year, and, god willing have a healthy child between us too. i do at least have savings above the £18,000 barrier if that helps

imagine
3rd October 2012, 22:44
Hi there, check out the link below you will find some figures for the scale of savings need when you have a shortfall on the £18,000 rule, sorry but its probably going to hurt

http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php/41468-savings?p=390418&highlight=#post390418

Terpe
4th October 2012, 09:25
hi, i looked around the forum and couldn't find the info i need so am putting out a request for ideas.
i read in a thread that for spouse visa you need £18,600 income to apply, i have been to the official website and i have read it there too. well i am wondering what happens to those of us who are below that figure.

i met my fiancee in person last december. i go back to meet her in 3 weeks time, our daughter is due end of october. we have a wedding date planned for december in philippines. she doesnt want to apply for visa this year, but prefers to return with me after my visit next year.

i am wondering what my options are for bringing my future wife and kid to the uk, if even for a year or two visit. i am self employed and nowhere near 18 grand income. i presumed bringing her here would be a snip when we were married with a kid, but now i'm not so sure, so how rigid is the £18,000 rule?

i just read a post that a woman (Jazz?) got a visa though she and her husband are unemployed and she has £2500 in the bank. she has been in the relationship for 5 years which i guess helped.

am i likely to have trouble in getting a spouse visa on low income? by the time we apply we will have been together 2 years and married 1 year, and, god willing have a healthy child between us too. i do at least have savings above the £18,000 barrier if that helps

There's plenty of good information here on the forum on the options/alternatives/exemptions etc.

The primary key to any kind of visa leading to settlement is the Financial Requirement.
Unless you are eligible for exemptions or have very significant savings above £16000 then you're going to have to provide payslips and bank statements for the 6 month period immediately prior to application showing a gross annual income of £18600
Without that evidence and a confirmation letter from your employer then the application will fall for refusal. Period.

lordna
4th October 2012, 10:15
Why not find a second job for 6 months to boost your income? Then apply once you have enough payslips/proof you need.

bigmarco
4th October 2012, 11:29

Hmm your self employed and you have over £18,000 in savings. Forgive me if I'm being naive but when I was self employed I told the Taxman what I earned and paid tax accordingly. Seems to me that your Tax bill needs to rise a bit this year.

bikeinbatangas
4th October 2012, 23:06
i dont understand what relevance the amount i have saved or have in the bank has to do with my annual income bigmarco. i fill in a tax form like everyone else which asks my income and bank interest and taxes me accordingly.

i have been saving most of my life since i was a kid, over 40 years, maybe you could impart more of your wisdom and tell me how much money i should have in the bank by this time, whether self employed or employed. i didnt say i have always been self employed, and i didnt state how long i have been self employed.

i didnt realise there was a law against having savings and being self employed, and i didnt post a question about tax either, therefore i don't need tax advice from smart arses.

thanks to those who stuck to the topic and gave helpful advice or suggestions

bigmarco
5th October 2012, 00:53
I think you misinterpreted what I was trying to say.
Ok dokey simple English then. If I was desperate to get my wife and child here I would make sure the next time I filled in a Tax form it showed that I was earning enough to satisfy the UKBA when my wife submitted her visa application. This may of course result in you having to dip into your savings to pay the extra Tax but I would consider this a price worth paying to get my loved ones here.
Sorry you considered my reply a smart .... comment but you did ask for some ideas. It seems to me at the moment you fall short on the earnings which if declared will result in any application being refused.
I hope everything eventually works out for you.

imagine
5th October 2012, 02:21
I think you misinterpreted what I was trying to say.
Ok dokey simple English then. If I was desperate to get my wife and child here I would make sure the next time I filled in a Tax form it showed that I was earning enough to satisfy the UKBA when my wife submitted her visa application. This may of course result in you having to dip into your savings to pay the extra Tax but I would consider this a price worth paying to get my loved ones here.
Sorry you considered my reply a smart .... comment but you did ask for some ideas. It seems to me at the moment you fall short on the earnings which if declared will result in any application being refused.
I hope everything eventually works out for you.

actually when i read it earlier , i also misinterpreted what you were saying,

now after reading again i see exactly what your saying, hindsight would have been a great thing, but im thinking its not so long since we got to know the new requirements, a new tax year end is approaching fast and may not leave much time to spread out an increase in earnings, if there is i would think the extra tax would be much less than the shortfall amounts to pay, of course no one is suggesting anything illegal :biggrin:

andy222
5th October 2012, 05:58
The UKBA are very strict now on the fianacial side of things so make sure you get it right and follow the rules.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

sars_notd_virus
5th October 2012, 10:51

Every case is different , if you are happy to pursue the application then go for it but explain in your covering letter /sponsor letter for your spouse , how your financial circumstances are ....your savings etc....with all the supporting documents....just prove to them(UKBA) that she will not claim any benefits once shes here or until she got her ILR.

good luck

bigmarco
5th October 2012, 11:03
Every case is different , if you are happy to pursue the application then go for it but explain in your covering letter /sponsor letter for your spouse , how your financial circumstances are ....your savings etc....with all the supporting documents....just prove to them(UKBA) that she will not claim any benefits once shes here or until she got her ILR.

good luck

I disagree with this. Every case is not different when it comes to financial requirements.We shouldn't be advising people to go for it if they quite clearly fall short on the financial requirements.
At almost £1000 for a spouse visa application you need to be pretty sure of success before submitting it.

sars_notd_virus
5th October 2012, 11:09
I disagree with this. Every case is not different when it comes to financial requirements.We shouldn't be advising people to go for it if they quite clearly fall short on the financial requirements.
At almost £1000 for a spouse visa application you need to be pretty sure of success before submitting it.

its ok to disagree bigmarco,,,...but like what i've said every case is different!!
..if bikeinbatangas is happy to submit the application with all his supporting documents, why not???
all the guidance notes is in the website and i suppose he read it all and understand it ???

joebloggs
5th October 2012, 13:27
probably jazz or who ever it was got their visa b4 the changes in July of this year

visit visa is your only other option, and you can only stay here a max of 6 months in any one yr, if your married your chances of being refused will probably be increased if you apply for a visit visa.

Bluebirdjones
5th October 2012, 13:56

I concur..... if you don't pass the financial requirements you fail ..... END OF.
There is NO flexibility.