PDA

View Full Version : Change of name for Naturalization and British Passport application

classygirl
9th October 2012, 09:44
Good day everyone...:Wave:

I will be submitting my application for naturalization soon and subsequently for British passport.At the moment all my documents are in my maiden's name passport etc.but would like to change it into my maiden's name and husband's name (hyphenated) so I could have it my British passport.Is it possible?Will it be a problem?Should I be using that on my application and explain it page 13 of the application form.

Thank you very much.....

Arthur Little
9th October 2012, 16:28
Hello, again ... hard to believe a whole year has elapsed since you applied for ILR. How time flies! :smile:

You needn't worry about applying for Naturalisation using your maiden surname :nono-1-1: ... as MY wife did the same, back in March.

Here's the procedure:

Go to the Section of the UK Border Agency website entitled:

'How do I apply for naturalisation as a British Citizen?'

Click on the sub-heading, 'Completing the *Form' ... download *it - along with the appropriate Guide & Booklet - printing off spare copies (to allow for any possible error(s) on completion) all the time carefully following the instructions provided.

That's IT basically ... but, anything you're not clear about, please don't hesitate to ask.

Once you are satisfied you've completed the form [B] signed it and gathered all the necessary documents, I would strongly recommend you find out the precise location of your nearest Local Authority-operated 'National Checking Service [NCS]' WHO, for a "small" additional fee of around £65 to £70, will arrange a convenient appointment for you to visit their offices to have the relevant paperwork checked over and photocopied (including your Philippines' Passport). THEY, the NCS, will THEN be responsible for submitting the copies to the UKBA ... returning the originals (as well as your passport) to you.

This way, you can be confident ALL is in order, as regards your application.

Having been married to a Filipina for close on 4 years, I'm aware many ladies like to retain their maiden name as a middle name ... followed by their marital surname. That's fine; just tell the receptionist you speak to - when arranging your appointment - of your desire to do so ... and mention it again on your arrival there. This way, your Certificate of Naturalisation will be made out in accordance with your wishes. And, when the time comes for you to apply for a British Passport, the name on it will, in turn, comply with the one appearing on the Certificate - thus simplifying matters in the long run.

Waiting times are difficult to predict, I have to say; but, using the NCS, cuts out a lot of routine checking by the UKBA and should, if anything, expedite the entire process. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

classygirl
10th October 2012, 08:50
Thank you very much Arthur Little for the reply.Just love my maiden's name so much that I dont want to drop it..:icon_lol:I was planning to apply without the NCS assistance but if it will make it easier then I give it a second thought...

.....and yes,time really passed so fast and so thankful that there's a lot of people like you in this forum who's always here to help...and again, thank you very much. :smile:

Hello, again ... hard to believe a whole year has elapsed since you applied for ILR. How time flies! :smile:

You needn't worry about applying for Naturalisation using your maiden surname :nono-1-1: ... as MY wife did the same, back in March.

Here's the procedure:

Go to the Section of the UK Border Agency website entitled:

'How do I apply for naturalisation as a British Citizen?'

Click on the sub-heading, 'Completing the *Form' ... download *it - along with the appropriate Guide & Booklet - printing off spare copies (to allow for any possible error(s) on completion) all the time carefully following the instructions provided.

That's IT basically ... but, anything you're not clear about, please don't hesitate to ask.

Once you are satisfied you've completed the form [B] signed it and gathered all the necessary documents, I would strongly recommend you find out the precise location of your nearest Local Authority-operated 'National Checking Service [NCS]' WHO, for a "small" additional fee of around £65 to £70, will arrange a convenient appointment for you to visit their offices to have the relevant paperwork checked over and photocopied (including your Philippines' Passport). THEY, the NCS, will THEN be responsible for submitting the copies to the UKBA ... returning the originals (as well as your passport) to you.

This way, you can be confident ALL is in order, as regards your application.

Having been married to a Filipina for close on 4 years, I'm aware many ladies like to retain their maiden name as a middle name ... followed by their marital surname. That's fine; just tell the receptionist you speak to - when arranging your appointment - of your desire to do so ... and mention it again on your arrival there. This way, your Certificate of Naturalisation will be made out in accordance with your wishes. And, when the time comes for you to apply for a British Passport, the name on it will, in turn, comply with the one appearing on the Certificate - thus simplifying matters in the long run.

Waiting times are difficult to predict, I have to say; but, using the NCS, cuts out a lot of routine checking by the UKBA and should, if anything, expedite the entire process. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
10th October 2012, 09:15
My wife has her family name as her 'middle' name now. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

classygirl
11th October 2012, 17:19
Hi Arthur Little and Terpe,

Hope all's well with you both.I do have some more questions pls.On the application form for personal info (1.5) should I put my family name and hubby's name even though all my documents are all in my maiden name and then explain it on page 13?I am kind of little bit confused about it...

Thanks again for your usual assistance....:smile:

Arthur Little
12th October 2012, 02:57
I do have some more questions pls.On the application form for personal info (1.5) should I put my family name and hubby's name even though all my documents are all in my maiden name and then explain it on page 13?I am kind of little bit confused about it...

... ok. Take a look here:

Let's say, for example, your name was Myrna Sioc Navarro (MY wife's names [Navarro being her maiden surname] since I don't know any of yours! ) And, by the same token, we'll use my name in lieu of your husband's ... as, of course, I have no way of knowing his either. :smile:

PERSONAL INFORMATION

1:5

Surname/Family Name: Please Note, the Surname you give here, i.e. your husband's surname, will the one shown on the Certificate of Citizenship

LITTLE

1:6

Other Names: [again] Please Note, these names including your [former] surname will also appear on the Certificate of Citizenship

MYRNA SIOC NAVARRO

Either you can insert your previous middle name - as illustrated by my use of 'Sioc' in the example I've given above - if you so wish ... or drop it (as my wife did) and simply use your maiden surname itself as a second forename ... as if it were, in fact, Navarro ... it's your choice. :anerikke:

johncar54
12th October 2012, 17:26
Apologies for repeating this again but it appears at least some are not aware.

In the UK, you can call yourself almost whatever you like. The exception is, you cannot use a name which appears to give you a title to which which you have no right. Thus I could not call myself King John or Sir John, but I could all myself Mary, or Anne or Fred or Saturday etc.

In the UK there is no law, which dictates which name you must use. Thus on marriage it is only custom that women usually take the surname of their husbands. There is no requirement to do so.

There are three ways in which one can change their name (1) by common law. One just says, as of now I am ……. New name. (2) Do the same but on oath before a Magistrate (3) Make Deed Poll.

No way is no more legal than the other. Over 25 years ago I did it by Common Law.

When changing a name, one can change all documentation into the new name, except one’s birth certificate.

So to all you women getting married, do what YOU want.

Arthur Little
13th October 2012, 00:57
Whilst :iagree: with you - up to a point, John - the young lady above is applying for British Citizenship. And, subsequently, the names on her ensuing British Passport MUST match those on her Certificate of Naturalisation exactly ... otherwise she's liable to encounter problems when next travelling abroad.

johncar54
13th October 2012, 08:46
Hi Arthur,
sorry to disagree on this point.

But as the law of the UK does not prevent one from changing their name, for any reason, other than for fraudulent ones, they cannot be penalised for doing so.

Maybe this from the Home Office would be helpful.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/documents/policyandlaw/nationalityinstructions/nisec1prosec/names?view=Binary

Extract:-

NAMES
1. Change of name: how it can be done
1.1 There is nothing in the law of the United Kingdom to prevent people from
changing their name simply by using another one and gradually
becoming known by it. A person who wishes to evidence the change
may do so by advertising it in the local press, by making a statutory
declaration, or by executing a deed poll.

2. Procedure where an applicant for citizenship sends in documentary
evidence in different name(s)

2.1. Guidance issued with application forms advises applicants that they
should ensure that the details provided are correct, as these will be
entered on their certificate of citizenship. We would normally expect
the name used to be the one that is on a person’s official documents.
If the name that they are using is not the one that is on the current
passport, travel document or identity card, they are requested to
explain the discrepancy and send documentary evidence to show that
they are known by the name given, such as a marriage or civil
partnership certificate, change of name deed or other official
documents.

2.2. If we come across a case where the name used is different to that on the
official documents and this has not been explained satisfactorily, or at
all, we should contact the applicant/agent, by telephone preferably,
otherwise in writing, to request an explanation for the discrepancy. We
should point out that, if the name on a naturalisation certificate does
not match other official documents, this may cause difficulties in
applying for a British passport. If a person does not agree to have
official details included on the certificate, the case should be discussed
with an EO caseworker or Senior Caseworker. The details of the
telephone conversation and our decision should be clearly recorded on
CID. Where a change of name has taken place, we should normally
ensure that the name at birth is included on the certificate, although
this can be omitted if there is a good reason for this, e.g. because the
person has been adopted or is no longer living in the gender they were
considered to have at the time of their birth.

Terpe
13th October 2012, 08:54
Whilst :iagree: with you - up to a point, John - the young lady above is applying for British Citizenship. And, subsequently, the names on her ensuing British Passport MUST match those on her Certificate of Naturalisation exactly ... otherwise she's liable to encounter problems when next travelling abroad.

That's quite right Arthur and there's no escape from that.

There are numerous formal occasions where 'name-matching' on key legal documents plays the major part.

It's all very well debating the finer legal points but it has no sway with various officials. Especially immigration officers or airline check-in staff :doh

johncar54
13th October 2012, 09:04
Terpe

Maybe you posted before you read the ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk web page.

Terpe
13th October 2012, 09:08
Terpe

Maybe you posted before you read the ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk web page.

No I didn't.

I'm not commenting on UK law concerning 'name' .

johncar54
13th October 2012, 09:19
Well Terpe, in that case, sorry but you are completely wrong.

I am extremely aware of the UK law on changing one’s name.
I was the o/i/c of the passport section of The Met Police for a while and had close liaison with the Registrar General’s office, Birth, Deaths and Marriages, of the UK . It was whilst I in that post that I changed my name.

I subsequently changed my name on all my paperwork, except as I said, on my Birth Certificate.

Terpe
13th October 2012, 09:26
Well Terpe, in that case, sorry but you are completely wrong.

I am extremely aware of the UK law on changing one’s name.
I was the o/i/c of the passport section of The Met Police for a while and had close liaison with the Registrar General’s office, Birth, Deaths and Marriages, of the UK . It was whilst I in that post that I changed my name.

I subsequently changed my name on all my paperwork, except as I said, on my Birth Certificate.

John,
as I said before, I am not commenting on UK law concerning name changing.

johncar54
13th October 2012, 09:47
I do not wish to prolong this and I have no direct knowledge re Naturalisation Certs but this is what the Border Agency say re name changing (if it were not possible then why would they issue the guidance ? )

2. Procedure where an applicant for citizenship sends in documentary
evidence in different name(s)

2.1. Guidance issued with application forms advises applicants that they
should ensure that the details provided are correct, as these will be
entered on their certificate of citizenship. We would normally expect
the name used to be the one that is on a person’s official documents.
If the name that they are using is not the one that is on the current
passport, travel document or identity card, they are requested to
explain the discrepancy and send documentary evidence to show that
they are known by the name given, such as a marriage or civil
partnership certificate, change of name deed or other official
documents.

Moy
13th October 2012, 09:53
sorry for intruding this thread:wink: is the requirement for ILR and citizenship to be submitted as evidence are the same..think im just lazy the website but just asking..:wink:

Terpe
13th October 2012, 10:19
John,

that is exactly what both Arthur and I have said

....names on her ensuing British Passport MUST match those on her Certificate of Naturalisation exactly..

Your reply was
....sorry to disagree on this point.

But as the law of the UK does not prevent one from changing their name, for any reason, other than for fraudulent ones, they cannot be penalised for doing so.

Full circle.

Terpe
13th October 2012, 10:41
sorry for intruding this thread:wink: is the requirement for ILR and citizenship to be submitted as evidence are the same..think im just lazy the website but just asking..:wink:

It's quite bit different Moy,

Naturalisation is focussed on:-

Evidence of identity, Referees and Good Character Requirement

Evidence of meeting the residence requirements

Evidence of English and of Life in the UK Test

Take a quick look at the form here (http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/applicationforms/nationality/form_an.pdf)

Moy
13th October 2012, 10:47
It's quite bit different Moy,

Naturalisation is focussed on:-

Evidence of identity, Referees and Good Character Requirement

Evidence of meeting the residence requirements

Evidence of English and of Life in the UK Test

Take a quick look at the form here (http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/applicationforms/nationality/form_an.pdf)

thanks for promp reply terpe:wink: is to apply citizenship and be naturalized is the same..?:wink:

Terpe
13th October 2012, 10:58
thanks for promp reply terpe:wink: is to apply citizenship and be naturalized is the same..?:wink:

Yes Moy, in principle it's the same.
If your application for naturalisation as a British Citizen is approved you'll need to attend a nice ceremony (oath taking) and you'll get your Naturalisation Certificate. That is the moment you are British Citizen.

After that you can apply for British Passport.

When you have your British passport you can apply to re-acquire your Philippine citizenship at an oath-taking ceremony at the Philippine Embassy and now you will a member of the exclusive dual-nationality club.
(You need to do this because you automatically lose Philippine citizenship when you complete the UK oath-taking)

Happy days and more expense ahead :biggrin:

But well worth it :xxgrinning--00xx3:

classygirl
18th October 2012, 10:17
Thank you very much for all your replies.As always,you're all so helpful...Regards to all.:smile:

lastlid
18th October 2012, 13:08
I had a bit of resistance when getting the registrar to issue us with a birth certificate for our daughter. She found it hard to get her head around my wife using my surname as my wifes surname and my wifes maiden name as my wires second name. Particularly as my wifes passport is still in her maiden name. Fortunatley common sense prevailed and I managed to get what we wanted. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I guess the problem is that the officials aren't always familiar with the law.

johncar54
18th October 2012, 13:20
I guess the problem is that the officials aren't always familiar with the law.

I assume this was when you were registering the birth in the UK.

There should not have been any problem. Whilst the parents names would have to be the names by which you are known (not necessarily those on your birth cert or passport etc.) under UK law, you were able to call your daughter by any names (first and surname) that you chose.

Rather like if anyone now goes to that Registry Office (or on line) they are legally entitled to a certified copy of your daughter's birth certificate, without being required to give their name, prove who they are or say why the want the copy. Its a public record, so available freely to everyone.