PDA

View Full Version : Unacceptable

stevie c
11th October 2012, 21:06
British gas are tomorrow expected to put gas & electric prices up by 9% this is a disgrace just in time for the winter fuel bills what is this country coming to hitting the poor & elderly Is daylight robbery IMO :cwm23:

bigmarco
11th October 2012, 21:12
British gas are tomorrow expected to put gas & electric prices up by 9% this is a disgrace just in time for the winter fuel bills what is this country coming to hitting the poor & elderly Is daylight robbery IMO :cwm23:

You are absolutely right Stevie. But that is the price we all have to pay for the utilities being privatised all them years ago.
Sadly the Elderly and the poor are of no interest to all the major funds that now own the shares. Profits and dividends are all that matters :cwm23:

andy222
11th October 2012, 21:16
You are absolutely right Stevie. But that is the price we all have to pay for the utilities being privatised all them years ago.
Sadly the Elderly and the poor are of no interest to all the major funds that now own the shares. Profits and dividends are all that matters :cwm23:
Spot on marco.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevie c
11th October 2012, 21:17
Yes too right marco it was scandalous privatising the utility companies a price all folk are paying dearly for..... It's about time the government stepped in & did seething about it but I dare say these people have shares in these companies :NoNo:

lastlid
11th October 2012, 21:22
"The UK depends on gas imports from Europe
Supplies of natural gas from the North Sea are dwindling, and so the UK is becoming a net importer of gas. We are becoming reliant on gas imported through pipelines from continental Europe, and the imports of Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) from further afield are also increasing.
This was a major reason for the increased wholesale gas prices of recent years. European gas prices are influenced by oil prices, and therefore went up during the 2003-2006 period. As our gas supplies are now linked to Europe, our gas prices went up too.
The European gas market is not fully competitive, and this is bad news for UK wholesale prices during times of high demand. Essentially, during cold weather, European countries hold on to reserves of gas supplies, even if they could make more money by selling to the UK. This makes it difficult for us to get hold of European gas at times of highest demand, causing wholesale prices to peak.
In March 2006, there was almost a gas crisis due to a spell of cold weather and a fire in a major gas storage facility in the UK. The National Grid, responsible for gas distribution in the UK, warned businesses to cut energy consumption, as gas companies could not find European companies willing to sell them gas.
What is the future for gas prices?
The import capacity of the Interconnector pipeline (which links us to gas supplies from Belgium) has been increased, most recently in October 2006. Also in October 2006, the Langeled pipeline which links us to Norway was opened. More import terminals for LNG are also under construction.
Therefore the overall import capacity for gas has improved, which has contributed to a fall in wholesale gas prices. This should help keep prices low, although as mentioned above, a large import capacity can be useless during times of high demand. When gas prices in the UK increase, the flow of imports should increase. However, with the current European market, this correlation breaks down during cold weather.
Ofgem are working with European energy regulators and the European Commission to liberalise the European gas market. This is essential if Britain is not to run short of gas during future cold spells. Until this happens, we could see dramatic peaks in winter gas prices.
Gas bills are unlikely to fall to pre-2003 levels. This is due to increased reliance on imports, and money being spent to combat climate change. For example, under the Energy Efficiency Commitment, gas companies are forced to spend money on promoting energy efficiency.
However, according to Ofgem, as of October 2006, domestic gas prices in the UK are the lowest in Europe."

http://www.whatprice.co.uk/utilities/gas-prices.html

Have a read of this.

lastlid
11th October 2012, 21:23
They seem to be doing something about it with gas storage projects, but maybe not quickly enough....

bigmarco
11th October 2012, 21:24
Yes too right marco it was scandalous privatising the utility companies a price all folk are paying dearly for..... It's about time the government stepped in & did seething about it but I dare say these people have shares in these companies :NoNo:

Your right again Stevie. Don't forget this lot think it's right for you and I to pay for the mistakes of bankers. You wont get no sympathy from them.Still it gives us something to moan about :biggrin:

andy222
11th October 2012, 21:26
Yes lastlid it will be good to have more storage but the fact remains the prices wont come down.

stevie c
11th October 2012, 21:26
Yeah but how about when water bills increase when electric bills increase petrol increases & so on & so on enough is enough we are all being taken as fools or millionaires :cwm23:

bigmarco
11th October 2012, 21:30
They seem to be doing something about it with gas storage projects, but maybe not quickly enough....

IMO opinion it wont make a scrap of difference. The same way as oil prices have dropped significantly from their high but pump prices haven't.
They'll throw us some scraps every once in a while but take it back of us 6 months later.

andy222
11th October 2012, 21:33
October 20th join the march.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

bigmarco
11th October 2012, 21:34
Yeah but how about when water bills increase when electric bills increase petrol increases & so on & so on enough is enough we are all being taken as fools or millionaires :cwm23:

I can't speak for you Stevie but in my case it's most definitely a fool :icon_lol:

lastlid
11th October 2012, 21:35
Basically oil and gas, in terms of current and conventional sourcing, is not a finite resource.

Bring on Frack Gas!

stevie c
11th October 2012, 21:35
I'm in the same boat as you there marco :cwm25:

bigmarco
11th October 2012, 21:44

I'll be there as I was at the one in March last year.
Once again I will not be standing in a park to listen to Millipeede preach to Trade Unionists when it suits him and stab us in the back a week later.
It's a good day out if the weather is decent and the soap dodgers don't start their trouble :biggrin:

andy222
11th October 2012, 21:51
Yes me too.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

lastlid
11th October 2012, 21:54
This seems to be about the size of it......

The Cost Of Your Utility Bills Is Going To Rocket

The cost of all utility bills (water, sewage, gas and electricity will rocket in the next ten years. Be prepared to pay a good deal more for these services than you pay now.

Gas and electricity bills will soar because the price of energy will go up. And because our infrastructure providing us with these things is old, falling apart and totally inadequate.

The amazingly stupid decision by the Germans to abandon their nuclear power means that the price of natural gas must soar. There is absolutely no chance whatsoever of the Germans (or anyone else) obtaining all the electricity they need from windmills, wave power or the sun.

Because it has turned governments away from nuclear power, the Japanese nuclear disaster will add thousands of pounds to the average annual energy bill.

Water and sewage bills will soar because our infrastructure in these areas was built in Victorian times and is now in need of repair. A conservative estimate suggests that bringing the system up to date will cost around £100 billion. The real cost will, of course, be considerably higher. Until the improvements are made, huge amounts of money will have to be spent on keeping the systems working. Once the improvements have been made, huge amounts of money will have to be spent on servicing and repaying the related debt. Global water shortages won't help the price problem, either.

Finally, costs of all services will rise because new EU regulations require water to be treated in a more energy efficient manner in the future. Sadly, the more energy efficient treatment programmes are less acceptable from an environmental point of view. But, hey, the EU will doubtless introduce a new system of fines to ensure that the industry pays extra for adopting the required new techniques.) These new treatment programmes will also result in more expense and, in the medium-term and long-term, much higher bills.

The shortage of energy supplies, combined with the constant introduction of new EU laws, mean that utility bills will soar.

Anyone who has difficulty paying utility bills now should perhaps consider downsizing to a smaller property.

Prices are going to go up a good deal. They will never come down.

If you find it difficult paying gas, electricity and water bills now then I believe you will find it much more difficult next year, much more difficult the year after that and ever more difficult with every succeeding year.

Wages and salaries aren't going to rise to match inflation.

But utility bills are going to exceed inflation.

http://www.vernoncoleman.com/torocket.html

lastlid
11th October 2012, 21:57
I rent an apartment. One of the chief criteria I used for picking it was the potential energy bill(s) at the end of the month. Energy is more expensive here than on the mainland UK so it is even more painful here.

Petrol is £145.9 a litre right now.

andy222
11th October 2012, 22:02
Its like a dog chasing its tail one borrows to get the economy going the other takes it out. You know I often think about it. Some on here are on good salaries and good luck to them but has anyone ever wondered about if they lost their jobs and how difficult it would be to get another one with the same salary?. I dont think it would be that easy.

lastlid
11th October 2012, 22:07
Its like a dog chasing its tail one borrows to get the economy going the other takes it out. You know I often think about it. Some on here are on good salaries and good luck to them but has anyone ever wondered about if they lost their jobs and how difficult it would be to get another one with the same salary?. I dont think it would be that easy.

You are right Andy. And none of us is gauranteed a job.

andy222
11th October 2012, 22:11
I remember the days when you could leave a job on the friday and start another on the monday. Those were the days. The pubs were full you could have a pint after work. What happened?:doh

bigmarco
11th October 2012, 22:20

I work in a job matey where they are already talking about driverless trains. I think I may just be lucky and survive till retirement but if not I'm fortunate enough that I could return to Taxi driving as I renew my licence every 3 years as an insurance policy. I'm constantly preaching to the younger ones at work including my own daughter to have a Plan B as driverless trains is going to happen some day. Although they say they will always need a member of staff on the train I can't see them being paid drivers wages. The majority of my colleagues would struggle if that was to happen sooner rather than later.

lastlid
11th October 2012, 22:20
I remember the days when you could leave a job on the friday and start another on the monday. Those were the days. The pubs were full you could have a pint after work. What happened?:doh

They introduced a smoking ban....:biggrin:

lastlid
11th October 2012, 22:24
I work in a job matey where they are already talking about driverless trains. I think I may just be lucky and survive till retirement but if not I'm fortunate enough that I could return to Taxi driving as I renew my licence every 3 years as an insurance policy. I'm constantly preaching to the younger ones at work including my own daughter to have a Plan B as driverless trains is going to happen some day. Although they say they will always need a member of staff on the train I can't see them being paid drivers wages. The majority of my colleagues would struggle if that was to happen sooner rather than later.

Interesting. Of course driverless trains are here as we speak. I seem to remember being on them at Zurich airport a few years ago, for example.

I see there was a bit in the "Evenin Stanna" a few days ago saying that they wouldn't bring them in just yet owing to safety concerns?

My previous employer was constantly looking at ways at replacing manpower with technology and slowly but surely implementing it.

imagine
11th October 2012, 22:48

your absolutly totally right, and it ain't going to stop, domestic fuel,petrol, diesel, food clothing,tax, it will keep spirling upward, and we will spend less and do without because we cant afford it, hence buying less means they put the price up even more to cover that loss too,

what will happen theres got to be a breaking point:Erm:

Arthur Little
11th October 2012, 23:01
Poor AND elderly :olddude: ... that's ME! Wonder if the [Scottish] Govt will be scrapping pensioners' Winter Fuel Allowance? Not that it's much ... :anerikke: ... but it helps towards Christmas.

lastlid
11th October 2012, 23:03
your absolutly totally right, and it ain't going to stop, domestic fuel,petrol, diesel, food clothing,tax, it will keep spirling upward, and we will spend less and do without because we cant afford it, hence buying less means they put the price up even more to cover that loss too,

what will happen theres got to be a breaking point:Erm:

It amounts to an erosion in our standard of living. Almost inevitable, unfortunately. What do you reckon?

imagine
11th October 2012, 23:18
It amounts to an erosion in our standard of living. Almost inevitable, unfortunately. What do you reckon?

for many,, already that standard of living is eroding in front of their eyes, this is is just another blow to them, and bit by bit there will be more dropping to the bottom,

it just cant go on this way indefinatly without a big bang

Arthur Little
11th October 2012, 23:32
Poor AND elderly :olddude: ... that's ME!

Joking aside :yeahthat: ... you're absolutely RIGHT, Stevie ... it's a bloody disgrace ... and, as has already been pointed out - by you, Marco and others - a significant portion of the blame rests with the bods responsible for mismanaging this country's economy ... the politicians ... shrewd, yet incompetent, investment bankers :REGamblMoney01HL1: like Fred Badwin &c. plus, of course, the omnipresent super-rich and powerful - NONE of whose extravagant lifestyles will these grossly over-inflated price rises make one whit of a difference to. :NoNo:

lastlid
11th October 2012, 23:36
Britain's position in the world is not the same as it was. It is all part of a long steady decline, regardless of party.

External factors are outwith our control. Something's got to give? Not if there is nothing that we as a country can do about it.

bigmarco
11th October 2012, 23:53
Joking aside :yeahthat: ... you're absolutely RIGHT, Stevie ... it's a bloody disgrace ... and, as has already been pointed out - by you, Marco and others - a significant portion of the blame rests with the bods responsible for mismanaging this country's economy ... the politicians ... shrewd, yet incompetent, investment bankers :REGamblMoney01HL1: like Fred Badwin &c. plus, of course, the omnipresent super-rich and powerful - NONE of whose extravagant lifestyles will these grossly over-inflated price rises make one whit of a difference to. :NoNo:

Hit the nail on the head Arthur. They are largely responsible for the mess we're in but they're never asked to pick up the tab.
They'll still be collecting the bonuses and we all sit back and do nothing.
Apathy Rules.

imagine
12th October 2012, 00:23

absolutely right :iagree: has it not always been the case that the stinking wealthy rich rake it in from everyone under them and all the way to the bottom, and why do they get away with it, because if you got so much dosh you can get away with murder

fred
12th October 2012, 02:14
Sadly the Elderly and the poor are of no interest to all the major funds that now own the shares. Profits and dividends are all that matters

I used to get extremely frustrated and angry with these type of price hikes as winter approached..
After thinking seriously about it, the only way I could manage to hedge against this kind of silly inflation was to invest directly into oil and gas company shares.

For me it was a bloody good strategy.. Forget keeping up with inflation!! Profits were paying my bills.
Sometimes its best to just go with the flow instead of trying to swim against the tide.

stevewool
12th October 2012, 08:15

what march

stevewool
12th October 2012, 08:16
I used to get extremely frustrated and angry with these type of price hikes as winter approached..
After thinking seriously about it, the only way I could manage to hedge against this kind of silly inflation was to invest directly into oil and gas company shares.

For me it was a bloody good strategy.. Forget keeping up with inflation!! Profits were paying my bills.
Sometimes its best to just go with the flow instead of trying to swim against the tide.

do you worry about your heating bills now Fred

RickyR
12th October 2012, 08:23
A lot of people are heading down the self sufficient route with rain water collectors, solar panels, wind turbines and vegetable patches.

I certainly couldn't afford to return to the UK at the moment, fuel here is merely 20pence a litre, which tells you something about taxation in the UK.

lastlid
12th October 2012, 13:45
for many,, already that standard of living is eroding in front of their eyes, this is is just another blow to them, and bit by bit there will be more dropping to the bottom,

it just cant go on this way indefinatly without a big bang

Didn't get a chance to reply to this. What will probably "give" is house prices.

lastlid
12th October 2012, 13:51

Oil, touch wood, has kept me afloat. But there are the bad times too. The oil industry isn't always buoyant. Oil is a fickle commodity.

imagine
12th October 2012, 13:56
Didn't get a chance to reply to this. What will probably "give" is house prices.

house prices are already suffering, i don't know about the rest of scotland and uk, but houses are not selling, those that do are sold at much less than their value a few year ago,those with mortgages are struggling to pay because of the increases in living costs,and find they are unable to sell to downgrade to a more affordable property and loan,and it can only get worse

lastlid
12th October 2012, 14:36
house prices are already suffering, i don't know about the rest of scotland and uk, but houses are not selling, those that do are sold at much less than their value a few year ago,those with mortgages are struggling to pay because of the increases in living costs,and find they are unable to sell to downgrade to a more affordable property and loan,and it can only get worse

Exactly. As people are paying out more on food and utility bills etc, they have less of their income to spend on housing.

les_taxi
12th October 2012, 15:27
This is what happens when you relinquish your empire,We were better off when we ruled most of the world-now we are becoming an insignificate nation who will eventually have no real power and be begging for scraps off the Yanks!

lastlid
12th October 2012, 15:28
This is what happens when you relinquish your empire,We were better off when we ruled most of the world-now we are becoming an insignificate nation who will eventually have no real power and be begging for scraps off the Yanks!
Very true.

imagine
12th October 2012, 15:36
Very true.

comming to you soon brittain the a 3rd world country, a country going to the :animal-smiley-037:

Terpe
12th October 2012, 15:42
Interesting that energy prices are ever increasing. Especially gas.
I wonder why? Especially as the amount of gas our planet still can offer is just huge. It seems to me that as new sources are discovered then prices should be coming down.

Dedworth
12th October 2012, 16:15
comming to you soon brittain the a 3rd world country, a country going to the :animal-smiley-037:

The 3rd World is here now thanks to Labours open door immigration policy and the inability of the present Government and the farcical UKBA to get the mess sorted out.

lastlid
12th October 2012, 16:19
Interesting that energy prices are ever increasing. Especially gas.
I wonder why? Especially as the amount of gas our planet still can offer is just huge. It seems to me that as new sources are discovered then prices should be coming down.

Unfortunately as new sources are coming on stream there are also sources being decommissioned and thus spent. Many fields that have been serving us for some time aren't as bountiful as they once were. Production rates have peaked in many UK fields.

There was a TV program on this recent one - Indefatigable:

http://www.shell.co.uk/home/content/gbr/aboutshell/shell_businesses/e_and_p/decommissioning/indefatigable/background/

Also there is a tendency for only the more marginal and more expensive to drill for and develop fields, to be discovered these days, as in the main the easiest and cheapest have been discovered and developed already. A bit like picking the lowest fruit from the tree first.

Frack gas will help, if only it can be drilled for and extracted safely. And hydrates are tricky as we said before.

Also things like oil revenue tax play a part - George Osbournes Brown Field Allowance and stuff like that.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-19515932

Dedworth
12th October 2012, 16:27
I just heard on the radio NPower have jumped on the bandwagon with a 9% increase.

Topical viewing here of how the CEO's keep their snouts in the trough and the gravy train rolling.

They are all members of each others remuneration committees so they rubber stamp their mates obscene wages and non performance bonus's. I think there's recently been a bit of noise from the shareholders but too many shares are held in funds run by city slicker fat cats who carry on trousering their large pay cheques.

ipK0ph-nDv0

andy222
12th October 2012, 18:06
And I heard today the government want more competiton and you know what that means. More fat cats.:icon_lol:

lastlid
12th October 2012, 18:52
I just heard on the radio NPower have jumped on the bandwagon with a 9% increase.

Topical viewing here of how the CEO's keep their snouts in the trough and the gravy train rolling.

They are all members of each others remuneration committees so they rubber stamp their mates obscene wages and non performance bonus's. I think there's recently been a bit of noise from the shareholders but too many shares are held in funds run by city slicker fat cats who carry on trousering their large pay cheques.

ipK0ph-nDv0

What about footballers pay?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/aug/20/footballers-wages-rise-tickets

Dedworth
12th October 2012, 19:04
What about footballers pay?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/aug/20/footballers-wages-rise-tickets

The clubs have been mug enough to pay up so good luck to them their wages have no impact on my cost of living but greedy CEO's and the overpaid sycophants they surround themselves do

lastlid
12th October 2012, 19:28
The clubs have been mug enough to pay up so good luck to them their wages have no impact on my cost of living but greedy CEO's and the overpaid sycophants they surround themselves do

Cost of a season ticket and sky sports subscriptions?

gWaPito
12th October 2012, 20:01

In the distant short term, yes :biggrin:...long term putting money into bricks and mortar for me always the best place.

I grant you house prices have fallen in recent times, they will recover..that, im sure of.

Its like the folks who quickly sell there shares when value drops...really not a smart move....that's surely a time to buy or at least hang onto what you got :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Btw...like its been said..pointless in my mind getting worked up over something you got no control over...for example, there latest fuel rises...not good, I know but, I compare what we pay here in UK and what folks pay in the Philippines for there utilities.... a whole bunch more I can tell you...no heating bills but they sure have electricity bills, they are monstrous.

Really, it could be a lot lot worse:)

lastlid
12th October 2012, 20:03
"Have we passed the point of maximum oil production?

There is an ongoing debate between ‘peak oil’ theorists, who believe that we have already passed the point of maximum production, and oil companies who state that new technologies will extend the life of oil well beyond estimates.

What is clear is that oil is getting harder to find and extract, and this is reflected in rising prices. A barrel that cost $10 in 1998 and $64 in 2007 today costs $135. Economists are predicting that the $200 ceiling will be broached before the end of the year.

The knock-on effects are many, including a rise in the cost of fuel oil affecting manufacturing and fuel for transport, impacting shipping, aviation and road travel. Oil price increases also effect the commodity cost of stable food stuffs such as wheat and rice – the fuel for vehicles used in harvesting and transporting them doubling in price in the past year."

http://www.imeche.org/knowledge/themes/energy/energy-supply/fossil-energy/when-will-oil-run-out

Where are the major oil reserves?

Two-thirds of the world’s remaining reserves are in the Middle East:

Country Billions of barrels

Saudi Arabia 261.8
Iraq 112.5
United Arab Emirates 97.8
Kuwait 96.5
Iran 89.7

By comparison, the North Sea has around 4.9bn barrels remaining.

lastlid
12th October 2012, 20:05
In the distant short term, yes :biggrin:...long term putting money into bricks and mortar for me always the best place.

I grant you house prices have fallen in recent times, they will recover..that, im sure of.

Its like the folks who quickly sell there shares when value drops...really not a smart move....that's surely a time to buy or at least hang onto what you got :xxgrinning--00xx3:

If people don't have any money because they have spent it on food and utility bills, then the prices of houses will drop.

stevewool
12th October 2012, 20:12
selling your house may be hard , or you sell it for peanuts, well i dont want to do either, renting it out is the answer for me i hope, my daughter as agreed to rent it from me once we go over to the phils,it may work it may not, but its what we are thinking of doing, the heating cost is going up, well get down to primark and get some good pjs and slippers and even a big dressing gown, you do have to think about the cost unless you say sod it and you are happy paying the bills, me i am not, but the house is a warm house so a little heat goes along way, i may even consider opening up the fireplace again and get a fire going again, or 1 big candle:xxgrinning--00xx3:

lastlid
12th October 2012, 20:15
selling your house may be hard , or you sell it for peanuts, well i dont want to do either, renting it out is the answer for me i hope, my daughter as agreed to rent it from me once we go over to the phils,it may work it may not, but its what we are thinking of doing, the heating cost is going up, well get down to primark and get some good pjs and slippers and even a big dressing gown, you do have to think about the cost unless you say sod it and you are happy paying the bills, me i am not, but the house is a warm house so a little heat goes along way, i may even consider opening up the fireplace again and get a fire going again, or 1 big candle:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Just like when we were kids....:xxgrinning--00xx3:

lastlid
12th October 2012, 20:19
Its all out there folks....

"Britain’s Energy Gap

By 2015, it is possible that the UK will face electricity shortages, as old power stations go ‘off-line’ before their replacements are ready.

To help prevent such an energy gap emerging, plans are in place to build another seven coal-fired stations, delivering an additional 10 – 12 GW, despite the fact that coal is the dirtiest of fossil fuels.

The much talked-about next generation of nuclear power stations, if built at all, will take somewhere between 12 and 20 years to build, so won't be producing full power until the late 2020s. Renewables, perhaps including the Severn Barrage, could be making electricity faster, perhaps producing as much as 40% of our electricity needs by 2020, but enormous challenges need to be overcome, including planning and grid connection constraints, financial incentives for developers, and the supply chains for materials, equipment and skilled engineers."

http://www.imeche.org/knowledge/themes/energy/energy-supply/fossil-energy/the-future

stevewool
12th October 2012, 20:21
just like kids, :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol: flannelette pjs, fastened right up to the neck and drawstring bottoms, socks and a fleece dressing gown, sometimes even socks on your hands in our home, throw a few old army coats on the bed and your as snug as a bug in a rug

imagine
12th October 2012, 20:23
bricks and mortar have always been the best investment, even if there is no profit to be made in the end, its a solid investment and safe as houses pardon the pun, very little can go wrong, unless the powers that be deside to put a motorway through it and thats not very likely ,

myself i don,t forsee any significant recovery, unless something drastic happens like a world war the way it used to be , history has shown economic recovery after a war,

perhaps due to a reduced population and rebuilding of destroyed buildings and infrastructure,

still the best bet is bricks and mortar, it will still be yours when you wake up one morning to find your money has no worth and the countrys bankrupt, and the bankers,and the richest have gone with theirs invested safely somewhere else:biggrin:

stevewool
12th October 2012, 20:23

"Britain’s Energy Gap

By 2015, it is possible that the UK will face electricity shortages, as old power stations go ‘off-line’ before their replacements are ready.

To help prevent such an energy gap emerging, plans are in place to build another seven coal-fired stations, delivering an additional 10 – 12 GW, despite the fact that coal is the dirtiest of fossil fuels.

The much talked-about next generation of nuclear power stations, if built at all, will take somewhere between 12 and 20 years to build, so won't be producing full power until the late 2020s. Renewables, perhaps including the Severn Barrage, could be making electricity faster, perhaps producing as much as 40% of our electricity needs by 2020, but enormous challenges need to be overcome, including planning and grid connection constraints, financial incentives for developers, and the supply chains for materials, equipment and skilled engineers."

http://www.imeche.org/knowledge/themes/energy/energy-supply/fossil-energy/the-future

they even reacon that we will have power cuts back too, get them candles in ready i say

imagine
12th October 2012, 20:26

"Britain’s Energy Gap

well the mines should never have been closed, instead investment and modernisation, but its too late now, thank you maggie, and thank you unions for helping it come about

lastlid
12th October 2012, 20:27
they even reacon that we will have power cuts back too, get them candles in ready i say

The last house I bought in Manchester had heaps of glass in it and had a southerly aspect such that the house had the sun flooding into it it all day long (on a sunny day of course :D). Yet many buy houses with a northerly aspect and get no sun whatsoever.....:Erm:

stevewool
12th October 2012, 20:41
another saving for us poor people, go out and window shop in all these new shopping centres, lots of free seats to sit on and just watch the world go by, take some sarnies and a flask , bobs your uncle, what other savings can we all make

lastlid
12th October 2012, 20:53
another saving for us poor people, go out and window shop in all these new shopping centres, lots of free seats to sit on and just watch the world go by, take some sarnies and a flask , bobs your uncle, what other savings can we all make

Thats what the wife says happens in the Phils except in reverse. :biggrin:

Dedworth
12th October 2012, 21:02
Cost of a season ticket and sky sports subscriptions?

I've got Chelsea membership which is about £30 a year, cancelled Sky Sports years ago better to watch games in the pub and my mates company has 5 seats at The Bridge so I get a few hospitality trips in :wink:

Dedworth
12th October 2012, 21:06
Anyhow back on topic all we need do is follow disgraced ex Energy Secretary Chris Huhne's advice of a year ago (17/10/2011) and change suppliers :laugher:

Energy Secretary Chris Huhne has said that people have to check that they are on the cheapest available energy tariff and whether they could save money by paying by direct debit.

He was speaking after a summit with the six biggest power firms, consumer groups and regulator Ofgem.

The summit discussed whether bills were higher because of lack of competition.

The prime minister said that the government needed to work "harder and faster" to bring down energy bills.

David Cameron called for a "trusted, simple and transparent" market.

"We should be checking to see whether or not we're on the cheapest tariff," Mr Huhne said after the summit.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15308005

It's business as usual for the greedy energy suppliers :cwm23: