PDA

View Full Version : For those who wanted to know the Equivalent/Comparability of their degree in the UK.

milesaway1113
15th October 2012, 13:31
Here is the site: it will explain everything to you.

http://www.ecctis.co.uk/naric/individuals/Compare%20Qualifications/Statement%20of%20Comparability.aspx

Services/charges for individuals:

http://www.ecctis.co.uk/naric/Individuals/default.aspx

lastlid
15th October 2012, 13:51
I phoned these people up, about a year ago. Had a long chat with them. After discussion they basically seemed to be saying that we would need to provide them with proof from my wifes university that she had done what the degree certificate had suggested she had done (some sort of verified transcript). Before going any further. After further discussion and prompting it became obvious that my wife's degree wasn't recognised as a degree level certificate. I asked them to look it up on a list of recognised degree courses in their system.

We also noticed a charge for their services. Not cheap.

My impression is that if one went to De La Salle or University of Philippines Dilman, for example then the degree would be recognised.
My wife went to the University of Perpetual Help in Cavite, but they didn't seem to recognise that university.

Further inference from UK NARIC was that my wife's degree was more akin to a vocational certificate that wasn't of degree standard in the UK.

From the point of view of her visa, application, we decided that the quickest, simplest and best course of action was for her to do her English Language Test instead. Now that she is here, she hasn't been able to obtain work anyway because of the strict Isle of Man regulations on work permits. And now she is a mother. Hopefully we might get in touch with UK NARIC again when the baby is older but I am not holding out much hope for their approval on her degree certification as a meaningful equivalent of a UK degree course.

jlags90
15th October 2012, 13:55
I have obtained a CPR from UK NARIC.
In my personal opinion, it is very informative.
haven't been of use to me though.

lastlid
15th October 2012, 13:59
Top 20 Philippine Universities? :biggrin:

http://www.fubargenre.com/2007/09/26/top-20-schools-in-the-philippines/

raynaputi
15th October 2012, 14:49
Top 20 Philippine Universities? :biggrin:

http://www.fubargenre.com/2007/09/26/top-20-schools-in-the-philippines/

Lastlid, that list is already old..year 2007...

Year 2011..I don't know if this list is confirmed..but take a look..http://socyberty.com/education/top-20-most-excellent-universities-in-the-philippines/

And from Commission on Higher Education (CHED) Philippines, here's their list for 2012..http://www.philstar.com/business/school-special-2012/article.aspx?publicationSubCategoryId=579&articleId=810128

lastlid
15th October 2012, 14:56
Lastlid, that list is already old..year 2007...

Year 2011..I don't know if this list is confirmed..but take a look..http://socyberty.com/education/top-20-most-excellent-universities-in-the-philippines/

And from Commission on Higher Education (CHED) Philippines, here's their list for 2012..http://www.philstar.com/business/school-special-2012/article.aspx?publicationSubCategoryId=579&articleId=810128

I am not surprised as I was just having a quick look only. It was the first that I came across. I was in the middle of assessing a technical paper on Drilling Engineering.

Also I noticed that the listing for 2007 was "FUBAR" :biggrin: but am oblivious as to why. Presumably some university online rag or similar.

milesaway1113
15th October 2012, 16:04
Further inference from UK NARIC was that my wife's degree was more akin to a vocational certificate that wasn't of degree standard in the UK.

From the point of view of her visa, application, we decided that the quickest, simplest and best course of action was for her to do her English Language Test instead. Now that she is here, she hasn't been able to obtain work anyway because of the strict Isle of Man regulations on work permits. And now she is a mother. Hopefully we might get in touch with UK NARIC again when the baby is older but I am not holding out much hope for their approval on her degree certification as a meaningful equivalent of a UK degree course.

It is indeed heartbreaking (same as mine:bigcry::bigcry::bigcry:) that our degree obtain in the Phils. is not recognise or not equivalent to degree here in the Uk .

But, it might be helpful and useful to someone, who wants to further their studies here in the UK or for visa purposes.

lastlid
15th October 2012, 16:08
It is indeed heartbreaking(same as mine:bigcry::bigcry::bigcry:) that our degree obtain in the Phils. is not recognise or not equivalent to degree here in the Uk .

But, it might be helpful and useful to someone, who wants to further their studies here in the UK or for visa purposes.

I know what you mean or if one wants to use it to seek employment.

John_10
16th October 2012, 16:14
it is ashamed that our degree we obtain in phils. is not recognised here in uk:yikes:

jlags90
17th October 2012, 10:58
it is ashamed that our degree we obtain in phils. is not recognised here in uk:yikes:

Well, we can not blame UK for that. Our education system's standards are far more different than theirs. I think DepEd is trying to do something with it now. All that is there is to hope that IT WORKS (or will work).

raynaputi
17th October 2012, 14:19
Well, we can not blame UK for that. Our education system's standards are far more different than theirs. I think DepEd is trying to do something with it now. All that is there is to hope that IT WORKS (or will work).

DepEd started this year the K12 system..patterned like the ones they have in the US I think...I'm not sure how it'll be compared to the UK's standard. UK doesn't even recognized our "English" and have to take an English test, so I don't think it would make much difference to how the UK sees the degrees in the Philippines.

jlags90
17th October 2012, 17:02
DepEd started this year the K12 system..patterned like the ones they have in the US I think...I'm not sure how it'll be compared to the UK's standard. UK doesn't even recognized our "English" and have to take an English test, so I don't think it would make much difference to how the UK sees the degrees in the Philippines.

UK sees it like :thumbsdown: because we have been "americanized" (i mean americanised) hahaha!
Sometimes, I talk to English people in English (american) --- and they won't understand me.. Haha!

lastlid
17th October 2012, 20:12
This American uses a translater when in England.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IX6K77zHwg

chiechie
4th November 2012, 20:45
hello everyone :)

i am interested in availing the services of NARIC but just in case someone in this forum already knows, is PLM (University of the City of Manila) one of their recognised universities? I checked the list of top 20 universities some of you have given here and PLM is always listed :) I would appreciate any information I can get here. thank you!

have a good day everyone!

raynaputi
4th November 2012, 20:50
hello everyone :)

i am interested in availing the services of NARIC but just in case someone in this forum already knows, is PLM (University of the City of Manila) one of their recognised universities? I checked the list of top 20 universities some of you have given here and it PLM is always listed :) I would appreciate any information I can get here. thank you!

have a good day everyone!

I am a graduate of PLM! :xxgrinning--00xx3: I don't think it is recognised by NARIC though..:Erm: but whatever degree you have, it needs to be assessed by NARIC..

sars_notd_virus
5th November 2012, 12:00
Here is the site: it will explain everything to you.

http://www.ecctis.co.uk/naric/individuals/Compare%20Qualifications/Statement%20of%20Comparability.aspx

Services/charges for individuals:

http://www.ecctis.co.uk/naric/Individuals/default.aspx

thanks for the links
but it will be of no use when you apply a job here in the UK:NoNo:

chiechie
5th November 2012, 20:24
I am a graduate of PLM! :xxgrinning--00xx3: I don't think it is recognised by NARIC though..:Erm: but whatever degree you have, it needs to be assessed by NARIC..

thank you :)

Michael Parnham
5th November 2012, 21:01
Americans dont know how to speak or spell english!

jlags90
6th November 2012, 12:00
Americans dont know how to speak or spell english!

Now, I completely understand why UKBA wants settlement visa applicants to take the expensive English Language Proficiency Test... :biggrin:

Arthur Little
6th November 2012, 13:19
Now, I completely understand why UKBA wants settlement visa applicants to take the expensive English Language Proficiency Test... :biggrin:

... :yeahthat:'s a reasonable enough assumption. But truth be told - *since English has long been the 'medium of instruction' in the Philippines - all it really amounts to is just one more, rather thinly~veiled, underhand government tactic for extorting money from each and every foreign national planning to settle in the UK - *REGARDLESS!

Forgive my undisguised cynicism. :laughitupsmilie:

jlags90
6th November 2012, 13:37
... :yeahthat:'s a reasonable enough assumption. But truth be told - *since English has long been the 'medium of instruction' in the Philippines - all it really amounts to is just one more rather thinly disguised, underhand government tactic for extorting money from each and every foreign national planning to settle in the UK -*regardless.

Oh, yes. That was my first reaction when I found out that I still need to take the Test despite having a degree in teaching English and Literature. But, having arrived here up north, and speak English and sometimes - not being understood by the locals, I knew my English wasn't really English but American English!:biggrin:

Arthur Little
6th November 2012, 13:59
Oh, yes. That was my first reaction when I found out that I still need to take the Test despite having a degree in teaching English and Literature. But, having arrived here up north, and speak English and sometimes - not being understood by the locals, I knew my English wasn't really English but American English! :biggrin:

I know what you mean ... American English can be difficult to follow ... but it surely CAN'T be any more incomprehensible than the Yorkshire dialect! :peepwall:

Arthur Little
6th November 2012, 14:06
:peepwall:

:yeahthat:'s ME :cwm25: ... hiding behind [part of] "Hadrian's Wall" ... lest Graham should happen to read my previous post! :cwm24:

lastlid
6th November 2012, 14:13
You need a translator up there in Yorkshire, for sure.

Arthur Little
6th November 2012, 14:41
You need a translator up there in Yorkshire, for sure.

Eh ... in Dundae 'n' Eberdane :Kilt: :Kilt: 'n' a' as ye'll weel-ken yersel! :biggrin:

jlags90
7th November 2012, 11:36
I know what you mean ... American English can be difficult to follow ... but it surely CAN'T be any more incomprehensible than the Yorkshire dialect! :peepwall:
Indeed sir arthur.